• HD DVD 23 votes
    6%
  • Blu-Ray 79 votes
    22%
  • 4k UHD 35 votes
    10%
  • Other 11 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 367 votes by 93 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220613_155429 (resized).jpg
20220609_104409 (resized).jpg
20220608_233357 (resized).jpg
20220608_160524 (resized).jpg
catinthebrain.jpg
20210710_232041 (resized).jpg
20210710_211529 (resized).jpg
20210707_170735.jpg
6195C73A-AED7-49E1-974E-8A610D53D444 (resized).jpeg
E6BBF164-E712-4418-807C-A8F637FC17AF (resized).jpeg
20210511_115846 (resized).jpg
bf1a13e099398793312e550c030aa62a7182a85b (resized).jpg
20210421_172635 (resized).jpg
20210421_172626 (resized).jpg
20210329_163243 (resized).jpg
20210327_073042 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SunnRAT.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 3 years ago

Yep, I collect certain blu rays. Some of which are limited runs.

20210216_174334 (resized).jpg20210216_174334 (resized).jpg20210216_174348 (resized).jpg20210216_174348 (resized).jpg20210216_174407 (resized).jpg20210216_174407 (resized).jpg

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Very nice. You and I have a lot of the same flix. I am envious of that Dellamorte Dellamore blu.

Standard German release. Missed out on the LE. I'm amazed no one has released it yet as far as I know. Wouldn't be surprised if Severin or Code Red does it.

I really dig Soavi's other films too. Aquarius (aka Deliria/Stagefright) is one of the best slashers I've seen and the Church is pretty rad too.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I just went through your collection more closely and it's amazing how much overlap we have...
The Other Hell
Savage Dawn
Horror Express
Ninja III - The Domination
Ninja Scroll
PATRICK
Phenomena
Pieces
Prince of Darkness
Rabid
Return of the Living Dead
Lone Wolf McQuade
The Hearse
Fando Y Lis
El Topo
The Holy Mountain
Escape from the Bronx
Escape from NY
The Fog
City of the Living Dead
House by the Cemetery
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Halloween III
Hardware
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
LifeForce
Miami Connection
Samurai Cop
Creepshow
Creepshow 2
Dead End Drive In
Death Wish collection
Deathstalker
Deathstalker II
Deep Red
Delirium
Demons
Dungeonmaster
Eliminators
Nightmare Castle
A lot of the rest of it is stuff that I would love to have if my budget was bigger, but you even have a handful I have never heard of before. Most impressive. I've been collecting horror movies since I was in high school, and have also been adding a lot of 'so bad it's good' flicks over the last decade.
I have nearly 2,000 movies on disc. I have a lot of the more rare ones backed up to digital, but still display the discs. I just love the covers and they make great conversation pieces while people are waiting for their turn on a pin.

Yeah those are some great ones and you know it! I've had some VHS and DVD over the years from working at record stores in the past but I didnt get heavy into collecting until the blu ray releases started getting really good, like around when Scream Factory first got things rolling.

I have lots of oddball stuff and find myself buying very selectively lately. Really digging Italian 70s cop movies lately. Anything Euro-horror/Gialli. Spaghetti Westerns. Cannon Films/80s typical action stuff. I think I have more Lucio Fulci movies than any other director.

20210222_182908 (resized).jpg20210222_182908 (resized).jpg20210222_183024 (resized).jpg20210222_183024 (resized).jpg20210222_183047 (resized).jpg20210222_183047 (resized).jpg
#63 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Even more overlap there! "I can see you are a man of good... taste." I have a lot of cheaper shit, but a lot of good/rare stuff too. I went and took some close-ups of my horror and action movies. I have quite a bit more on multipacks.
Euro horror tends to be last frontier where I am still discovering new gems. I'm a long time Argento Fan, with Suspiria and Deep Red being my favs. Fulci is hit or miss for me, but I love a lot of his work too (have The Beyond, City of the Living Dead, Zombi, House by the Cemetery, etc). There's still a few of his flicks I haven't seen, mostly because they haven't been well distributed over the years. I really dig the Spaghetti Westerns too. I have all of the 'man with no name' movies, but would have to say Once Upon a Time in the West with Charles Bronson is my favorite there (though , 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly' gives it a run for it's money).
If you like cheesy 80s action flicks like Samurai Cop and Miami Connection, here's a few others that may interest you...
Deadly Prey - An over the top, mullet haired re-imagining of The Most Dangerous Game
Hard Ticket to Hawaii - Busty blondes packing heat foil a smuggling operation.
Never Too Young to Die - John Stamos vs a cross dressing Gene Simmons
Empire of the Dark - A modern day swordmaster with a beer gut must enter a portal to hell to rescue his girl.
No Retreat, No Surrender - A bullied teen channels the ghost of Bruce Lee to win a karate tournament
Dangerous Men - I... honestly have next to no idea what's going on in this one, but it is awesome.
Gymkata - Olympic gymnast Kurt Thomas must use all of his acrobatic skills to take down an evil army of ninjas in a contest to the death.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I know Hard Ticket to Hawaii, I still need to pick it up. I think the same guy did one called Malibu Express, which I also need to get.

I got Deadly Prey and Deadliest Prey on order from Diabolik already!

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Yes! Andy Sidaris did both Malibu Express and Hard Ticket to Hawaii and they are both great. He has a crazy life story and gave up a lucrative career in sports journalism and invested his fortune in making sleazy action movies. He made about 20 movies with very similar plots and themes, using people from the same pool of actors... Most of them revolve around 2 women with big... guns... bringing down a criminal organization in a tropical location. There are 2 large box sets that have been released that I know of; 'Bullets, Bombs and Babes', and 'Girls, Guns and G-Strings', but just recently they have been coming out individually on blu ray.
And congrats on Deadly Prey! That one is just mind blowing. Deadliest Prey was a bit of a letdown for me, but still worth checking out.
Curious, what are your top Fulci flicks? I like his style and am always on the lookout for some buried treasures.

Not sure if you have any of these but they're excellent in different ways. Murderock is a good 80s giallo with some fantastic 'talent' and a great Keith Emerson score. Conquest is a fantasy movie he did also in the 80s worth checking out. Typical sci fi/fantasy of the time, but with some scenes of gore and wonderful overdubs, plus one of the main villains is topless the entire movie. Touch of Death a bit of an odd film. It's a dark comedy Fulci style.

Here's the IMDB for Touch of Death: "A moody, middle-aged gigolo kills off women after he gets bored with dating them and uses their body parts for trophies and for consumption."

Aenigma I havent seen in awhile, its 80s supernatural horror I need to revisit. "Carrie", Fulci style. I have the 88 Films release (another great label) but decided to double dip and get the Severin release. Zombi 3 is credited to Fulci, but it was taken over by Bruno Mattei when Fulci became ill on set. It's still amazing and I love his movies too. Perversion Story is another early giallo with Marisa Mell in it...and, well, I love Marisa Mell.

20210223_145145 (resized).jpg20210223_145145 (resized).jpg

#67 3 years ago

And I have these that I still need to watch. Lizard in a Woman's Skin is regarded by some as one of his greatest films, if not his best. The rest are a mixed bag but i'm sure I will dig them.

I was mistaken about the most directed movies I have by a person. It's actually Umberto Lenzi. I have the most movies of his of any director. Don't even get me started on him!

20210223_150856 (resized).jpg20210223_150856 (resized).jpg

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The Psychic! Non-giallo, but awesome

I still need to pick that one up.

1 month later
#82 3 years ago
Quoted from Rivv:

There is a cool Gates of Hell trilogy vinyl set too if you collect records. Love those Frizzi scores.

I'm still kicking myself for missing out on that low key Fabio Frizzi tour in late 2019. Didn't know about it 'til a week after he was here in town.

Couldn't decide what to watch last night between Fulci or Lenzi, so I went with Anthropophagous directed by Joe D'Amato. I had already seen Absurd and wasn't crazy about it, but this makes me want to give that one another watch.

20210327_073042 (resized).jpg20210327_073042 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#85 3 years ago

Got some new stuff lately. I cant keep up. Severin has some good stuff coming up. Also Arrow has an Italian 70s Cop box set coming soon and that's a must have. Also Switchblade Sisters finally on a decent label. Watched Cannival Ferox last weekend. Lenzi is king.

20210421_172626 (resized).jpg20210421_172626 (resized).jpg20210421_172635 (resized).jpg20210421_172635 (resized).jpg

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Is American Rickshaw a new addition? Does it hold up? I came so close to buying that on my last order from Diabolik.

I havent watched it yet but I started Beyond Terror and I'm really digging it.

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Is American Rickshaw a new addition? Does it hold up? I came so close to buying that on my last order from Diabolik.

Get it. It's amazing. Donald Plesance is in it and kinda feels like if Carpenter was weird 80s Italian.

1 week later
#94 2 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

There’s another live action Adam’s Family with Tim Curry, never knew till last week.

Wow I kinda remember that from when I worked at Blockbuster.

"A Killer Comedy." Thats the best tagline they could come up with, but it makes no sense.

1 month later
#97 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Here's my latest order. Some are upgrades from flicks I had on dvd. SunnRAT - I ended up taking your advice on American Rickshaw. Wow, that is a weird one!
Interesting thing on 'The Nesting'... I had seen this movie as a little kid in the 80s and some scenes gave me nightmares. Later in life, I could never figure out what the movie was and in recent years, I started to believe that maybe it just *was* a nightmare I had as a kid and the movie didn't really exist. I was watching movie reviews on yt a couple months ago and BAM! Clips from this movie appeared on the screen and it hit me like a brick wall. I jumped up and shouted to my wife "It's that f'ng movie I've been talking about for years! It's real!!" It was just such an amazing moment to have this nearly 40 year old mystery finally laid to rest.
[quoted image]

Nice haul!

Beyond the Black Rainbow is awesome.

#99 2 years ago

Some HIGHLY recommended viewing box sets I got recently. Some really good stuff coming out lately from practically all the top labels.

20210710_211529 (resized).jpg20210710_211529 (resized).jpg

#100 2 years ago

Finally watching this tonight.

20210710_232041 (resized).jpg20210710_232041 (resized).jpg
#101 2 years ago

Damn this movie kicks ass. John Woo style 80s military action. Heres the trailer for those who havent seen this.

10 months later
#105 1 year ago

As a tribute to Norm Macdonald, im watching the Frank Stallone film, Savage Harbor.

Edit: I have already watched it since I left this text sitting in this box whenever ago.

It was glorious.

20220608_160524 (resized).jpg20220608_160524 (resized).jpg
#106 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I went to visit a friend over the weekend who is also into horror movies. He had a copy of A Cat In The Brain on his shelf and let me borrow it. Great flick! It's different from what I'd usually expect from Fulci, but also possibly his most gory movie at the same time. I couldn't help but laugh at some of the absurd deaths. It may be the closest he came to capturing that Romero movie feel.
[quoted image]

Cat in the Brain is AMAZING and one of the best endings of all time.

#110 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

It's never a Frank Stallone movie. It's a STALLONE movie... (frank) STALLONE. Will have to check that one out. This one is good for some laughs. There's a fight scene where (frank) STALLONE and bad guy take orderly turns punching eachother in the face with no blocking, dodging, or other movement. Also features the legendary Cameron Mitchell looking like he wandered onto the set by accident in between drinks, and he has some incredible dialogue, including where he starts cursing at a plane flying overhead during the shoot.
[quoted image]

I gotta see this!

#111 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:It was great. My friend was nice enough to let me keep the dvd copy, since he picked up the new blu ray while I was borrowing it. He also gave me a copy of Ken Russell's 'The Devils', which I had never seen before despite having copies of Altered States and Lair of the White Worm. It's definitely not a movie that you forget the next day.
[quoted image]

Adding to the que. I have only seen Altered States. Some really good performances in that one.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SunnRAT.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/physical-movie-media-enthusiasts-dvd-blu-ray-laserdisc-vhs-etc?tu=SunnRAT and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.