• HD DVD 23 votes
    6%
  • Blu-Ray 79 votes
    22%
  • 4k UHD 35 votes
    10%
  • Other 11 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 367 votes by 93 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220613_155429 (resized).jpg
20220609_104409 (resized).jpg
20220608_233357 (resized).jpg
20220608_160524 (resized).jpg
catinthebrain.jpg
20210710_232041 (resized).jpg
20210710_211529 (resized).jpg
20210707_170735.jpg
6195C73A-AED7-49E1-974E-8A610D53D444 (resized).jpeg
E6BBF164-E712-4418-807C-A8F637FC17AF (resized).jpeg
20210511_115846 (resized).jpg
bf1a13e099398793312e550c030aa62a7182a85b (resized).jpg
20210421_172635 (resized).jpg
20210421_172626 (resized).jpg
20210329_163243 (resized).jpg
20210327_073042 (resized).jpg
There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think the 4K digital editions of Lord of the Rings and Hobbit extended trilogies are worth the upgrade over the Blu Ray's. The picture does look sharper versus the Blu Ray's but does lose some of the film grain look, almost as if digital noise reduction was applied. The color palette has also changed which I think makes the LOTR films look more vivid and not as washed out in some scenes. The big upgrade I like over the Blu Ray's is the additional of Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos. I recently setup a Dolby Atmos 5.2.1 setup in my basement and have been very impressed by it. It's also nice to never have to swap disks for the second half of the films and special features. The Lord of the Rings 4K trilogy was $25 on sale from Apple Movies and same with the Hobbit trilogy this past Christmas.

This all tracks with my expectations - the original LOTR trilogy was color timed chemically (aka old-school) and I know from standing there that the effects were only rendered in 1080p since that’s what “cutting edge theaters” could support (PJ wised up later on about that with Hobbit, shooting everything in 48fps, although he missed the resolution revolution). So the changes you note make perfect sense. I wanted to wait until summer for the big ultimatum OMGERRRD LOTR!! box set, but if I can find a good deal I’ll just go ahead now. Hell, I’ve bought these movies (and books!) about 10 times now between the EE and Rankin/Bass versions.

#52 3 years ago

Do it. Hank is good people, and those LDs need a good home.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Anybody collect original 16mm or 35mm prints? I knew a few people who did and that shit was expensive even back in the day. I thought of going into and picking up some trailers, but then realized it wasn't worth it.

Still is. The few meagre prints you can find are pretty pitiful - unless you “know a guy”. I’d pay big money for a Jaws print on 16mm, and more for 35, but it’s still a back-room-deal type scenario.b and really with what you’d pay for a print - unless it was your ultimate grail film, or Cigarette Burns... you’re better off spending the dough on a GINORMOUS TV or projector and an outstanding digital version.

Unless it’s a Terry Gilliam film. He might come to your house and personally murder you.

#54 3 years ago

So does anyone have a recommendation for a 4k player ? I’ve got one that’s “fine” but loading times are getting on my nerves.

I’m also in the market for a new CD player - thinking going Oppo but wanted to see what else is out there

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So does anyone have a recommendation for a 4k player ? I’ve got one that’s “fine” but loading times are getting on my nerves.
I’m also in the market for a new CD player - thinking going Oppo but wanted to see what else is out there

I'd suggest looking at what Panasonic has, followed by LG.

Personally, I avoid Sony products when possible because of all the shenanigans they tend to pull.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's a bummer that Oppo stopped making physical media players last year. Many of their players are now selling for 2-3x their original price on Ebay. I have an Oppp 103-D Blu Ray player and it's been great, wish I had bought the Ultra HD version when it was still available at $550 versus $1k+ on the secondary market.

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's a bummer that Oppo stopped making physical media players last year. Many of their players are now selling for 2-3x their original price on Ebay. I have an Oppp 103-D Blu Ray player and it's been great, wish I had bought the Ultra HD version when it was still available at $550 versus $1k+ on the secondary market.

I'm actually looking at one of their DVD players someone has for sale around here, but as a transport (to a DAC) for playing CDs. The consumer Bluray players have been REALLY disappointing. They take forever to load, and that is my main pet peeve.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I grabbed the 203 when it was released and still have it mounted in my rack. It’s a great player.

I’ve been tempted to sell it since I rip everything since they go for $1,500-$2,000 used.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Yep, I collect certain blu rays. Some of which are limited runs.

I just went through your collection more closely and it's amazing how much overlap we have...

The Other Hell
Savage Dawn
Horror Express
Ninja III - The Domination
Ninja Scroll
PATRICK
Phenomena
Pieces
Prince of Darkness
Rabid
Return of the Living Dead
Lone Wolf McQuade
The Hearse
Fando Y Lis
El Topo
The Holy Mountain
Escape from the Bronx
Escape from NY
The Fog
City of the Living Dead
House by the Cemetery
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Halloween III
Hardware
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
LifeForce
Miami Connection
Samurai Cop
Creepshow
Creepshow 2
Dead End Drive In
Death Wish collection
Deathstalker
Deathstalker II
Deep Red
Delirium
Demons
Dungeonmaster
Eliminators
Nightmare Castle

A lot of the rest of it is stuff that I would love to have if my budget was bigger, but you even have a handful I have never heard of before. Most impressive. I've been collecting horror movies since I was in high school, and have also been adding a lot of 'so bad it's good' flicks over the last decade.

I have nearly 2,000 movies on disc. I have a lot of the more rare ones backed up to digital, but still display the discs. I just love the covers and they make great conversation pieces while people are waiting for their turn on a pin.

#60 3 years ago

I’ve got lots of “legacy formats”!
I have a few hundred each of Dvd’s, laserdiscs and Blu-ray’s. Also 1600 cassette tapes and 400 DAT’s. Most are live recordings. Mostly A-Z Rock and Blues with some bluegrass and jazz mixed in too.
Have a few thousand Cd’s and another couple thousand live “ bootleg” discs. I’ve got almost all of it in a big walk in closet in my basement that’s next to my home theater/main stereo system. The rest of the basement is my game room/bar.

1FFFE1E8-FC08-4A6F-B94F-0F27F7267C51 (resized).jpeg1FFFE1E8-FC08-4A6F-B94F-0F27F7267C51 (resized).jpeg8765AE03-0B0C-4A7C-B3A5-60288A6A1CFE (resized).jpeg8765AE03-0B0C-4A7C-B3A5-60288A6A1CFE (resized).jpegC71BE83A-6EBE-416C-B474-7D669753095A (resized).jpegC71BE83A-6EBE-416C-B474-7D669753095A (resized).jpegED12B0B6-068F-4E0E-B6A8-9ED3B158A243 (resized).jpegED12B0B6-068F-4E0E-B6A8-9ED3B158A243 (resized).jpeg
#61 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I just went through your collection more closely and it's amazing how much overlap we have...
The Other Hell
Savage Dawn
Horror Express
Ninja III - The Domination
Ninja Scroll
PATRICK
Phenomena
Pieces
Prince of Darkness
Rabid
Return of the Living Dead
Lone Wolf McQuade
The Hearse
Fando Y Lis
El Topo
The Holy Mountain
Escape from the Bronx
Escape from NY
The Fog
City of the Living Dead
House by the Cemetery
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Halloween III
Hardware
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
LifeForce
Miami Connection
Samurai Cop
Creepshow
Creepshow 2
Dead End Drive In
Death Wish collection
Deathstalker
Deathstalker II
Deep Red
Delirium
Demons
Dungeonmaster
Eliminators
Nightmare Castle
A lot of the rest of it is stuff that I would love to have if my budget was bigger, but you even have a handful I have never heard of before. Most impressive. I've been collecting horror movies since I was in high school, and have also been adding a lot of 'so bad it's good' flicks over the last decade.
I have nearly 2,000 movies on disc. I have a lot of the more rare ones backed up to digital, but still display the discs. I just love the covers and they make great conversation pieces while people are waiting for their turn on a pin.

Yeah those are some great ones and you know it! I've had some VHS and DVD over the years from working at record stores in the past but I didnt get heavy into collecting until the blu ray releases started getting really good, like around when Scream Factory first got things rolling.

I have lots of oddball stuff and find myself buying very selectively lately. Really digging Italian 70s cop movies lately. Anything Euro-horror/Gialli. Spaghetti Westerns. Cannon Films/80s typical action stuff. I think I have more Lucio Fulci movies than any other director.

20210222_182908 (resized).jpg20210222_182908 (resized).jpg20210222_183024 (resized).jpg20210222_183024 (resized).jpg20210222_183047 (resized).jpg20210222_183047 (resized).jpg
#62 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Yeah those are some great ones and you know it! I've had some VHS and DVD over the years from working at record stores in the past but I didnt get heavy into collecting until the blu ray releases started getting really good, like around when Scream Factory first got things rolling.

I have lots of oddball stuff and find myself buying very selectively lately. Really digging Italian 70s cop movies lately. Anything Euro-horror/Gialli. Spaghetti Westerns. Cannon Films/80s typical action stuff. I think I have more Lucio Fulci movies than any other director.

Even more overlap there! "I can see you are a man of good... taste." I have a lot of cheaper shit, but a lot of good/rare stuff too. I went and took some close-ups of my horror and action movies. I have quite a bit more on multipacks.

Euro horror tends to be last frontier where I am still discovering new gems. I'm a long time Argento Fan, with Suspiria and Deep Red being my favs. Fulci is hit or miss for me, but I love a lot of his work too (have The Beyond, City of the Living Dead, Zombi, House by the Cemetery, etc). There's still a few of his flicks I haven't seen, mostly because they haven't been well distributed over the years. I really dig the Spaghetti Westerns too. I have all of the 'man with no name' movies, but would have to say Once Upon a Time in the West with Charles Bronson is my favorite there (though , 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly' gives it a run for it's money).

If you like cheesy 80s action flicks like Samurai Cop and Miami Connection, here's a few others that may interest you...

Deadly Prey - An over the top, mullet haired re-imagining of The Most Dangerous Game
Hard Ticket to Hawaii - Busty blondes packing heat foil a smuggling operation.
Never Too Young to Die - John Stamos vs a cross dressing Gene Simmons
Empire of the Dark - A modern day swordmaster with a beer gut must enter a portal to hell to rescue his girl.
No Retreat, No Surrender - A bullied teen channels the ghost of Bruce Lee to win a karate tournament
Dangerous Men - I... honestly have next to no idea what's going on in this one, but it is awesome.
Gymkata - Olympic gymnast Kurt Thomas must use all of his acrobatic skills to take down an evil army of ninjas in a contest to the death.

20210223_121417 (resized).jpg20210223_121417 (resized).jpg20210223_121425 (resized).jpg20210223_121425 (resized).jpg20210223_121437 (resized).jpg20210223_121437 (resized).jpg20210223_121502 (resized).jpg20210223_121502 (resized).jpg20210223_121515 (resized).jpg20210223_121515 (resized).jpg20210223_121538 (resized).jpg20210223_121538 (resized).jpg20210223_121553 (resized).jpg20210223_121553 (resized).jpg20210223_121602 (resized).jpg20210223_121602 (resized).jpg20210223_121626 (resized).jpg20210223_121626 (resized).jpg20210223_121637 (resized).jpg20210223_121637 (resized).jpg20210223_121704 (resized).jpg20210223_121704 (resized).jpg20210223_121725 (resized).jpg20210223_121725 (resized).jpg
#63 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Even more overlap there! "I can see you are a man of good... taste." I have a lot of cheaper shit, but a lot of good/rare stuff too. I went and took some close-ups of my horror and action movies. I have quite a bit more on multipacks.
Euro horror tends to be last frontier where I am still discovering new gems. I'm a long time Argento Fan, with Suspiria and Deep Red being my favs. Fulci is hit or miss for me, but I love a lot of his work too (have The Beyond, City of the Living Dead, Zombi, House by the Cemetery, etc). There's still a few of his flicks I haven't seen, mostly because they haven't been well distributed over the years. I really dig the Spaghetti Westerns too. I have all of the 'man with no name' movies, but would have to say Once Upon a Time in the West with Charles Bronson is my favorite there (though , 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly' gives it a run for it's money).
If you like cheesy 80s action flicks like Samurai Cop and Miami Connection, here's a few others that may interest you...
Deadly Prey - An over the top, mullet haired re-imagining of The Most Dangerous Game
Hard Ticket to Hawaii - Busty blondes packing heat foil a smuggling operation.
Never Too Young to Die - John Stamos vs a cross dressing Gene Simmons
Empire of the Dark - A modern day swordmaster with a beer gut must enter a portal to hell to rescue his girl.
No Retreat, No Surrender - A bullied teen channels the ghost of Bruce Lee to win a karate tournament
Dangerous Men - I... honestly have next to no idea what's going on in this one, but it is awesome.
Gymkata - Olympic gymnast Kurt Thomas must use all of his acrobatic skills to take down an evil army of ninjas in a contest to the death.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I know Hard Ticket to Hawaii, I still need to pick it up. I think the same guy did one called Malibu Express, which I also need to get.

I got Deadly Prey and Deadliest Prey on order from Diabolik already!

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

I know Hard Ticket to Hawaii, I still need to pick it up. I think the same guy did one called Malibu Express, which I also need to get.

I got Deadly Prey and Deadliest Prey on order from Diabolik already!

Yes! Andy Sidaris did both Malibu Express and Hard Ticket to Hawaii and they are both great. He has a crazy life story and gave up a lucrative career in sports journalism and invested his fortune in making sleazy action movies. He made about 20 movies with very similar plots and themes, using people from the same pool of actors... Most of them revolve around 2 women with big... guns... bringing down a criminal organization in a tropical location. There are 2 large box sets that have been released that I know of; 'Bullets, Bombs and Babes', and 'Girls, Guns and G-Strings', but just recently they have been coming out individually on blu ray.

And congrats on Deadly Prey! That one is just mind blowing. Deadliest Prey was a bit of a letdown for me, but still worth checking out.

Curious, what are your top Fulci flicks? I like his style and am always on the lookout for some buried treasures.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Yes! Andy Sidaris did both Malibu Express and Hard Ticket to Hawaii and they are both great. He has a crazy life story and gave up a lucrative career in sports journalism and invested his fortune in making sleazy action movies. He made about 20 movies with very similar plots and themes, using people from the same pool of actors... Most of them revolve around 2 women with big... guns... bringing down a criminal organization in a tropical location. There are 2 large box sets that have been released that I know of; 'Bullets, Bombs and Babes', and 'Girls, Guns and G-Strings', but just recently they have been coming out individually on blu ray.
And congrats on Deadly Prey! That one is just mind blowing. Deadliest Prey was a bit of a letdown for me, but still worth checking out.
Curious, what are your top Fulci flicks? I like his style and am always on the lookout for some buried treasures.

The Psychic! Non-giallo, but awesome

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Not sure if you have any of these but they're excellent in different ways. Murderock is a good 80s giallo with some fantastic 'talent' and a great Keith Emerson score. Conquest is a fantasy movie he did also in the 80s worth checking out. Typical sci fi/fantasy of the time, but with some scenes of gore and wonderful overdubs, plus one of the main villains is topless the entire movie. Touch of Death a bit of an odd film. It's a dark comedy Fulci style.

Here's the IMDB for Touch of Death: "A moody, middle-aged gigolo kills off women after he gets bored with dating them and uses their body parts for trophies and for consumption."

Aenigma I havent seen in awhile, its 80s supernatural horror I need to revisit. "Carrie", Fulci style. I have the 88 Films release (another great label) but decided to double dip and get the Severin release. Zombi 3 is credited to Fulci, but it was taken over by Bruno Mattei when Fulci became ill on set. It's still amazing and I love his movies too. Perversion Story is another early giallo with Marisa Mell in it...and, well, I love Marisa Mell.

20210223_145145 (resized).jpg20210223_145145 (resized).jpg

#67 3 years ago

And I have these that I still need to watch. Lizard in a Woman's Skin is regarded by some as one of his greatest films, if not his best. The rest are a mixed bag but i'm sure I will dig them.

I was mistaken about the most directed movies I have by a person. It's actually Umberto Lenzi. I have the most movies of his of any director. Don't even get me started on him!

20210223_150856 (resized).jpg20210223_150856 (resized).jpg

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The Psychic! Non-giallo, but awesome

I still need to pick that one up.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I enjoy physical media and have a ton of DVD's and Blu Ray's. An uncle of mine got me into film, especially foreign films, and after he passed away my aunt gave me his collection of Criterion DVD's, probably 150 + films. I have those proudly being displayed on a shelf and will never get rid of them.
With that being said for 4K and beyond I'm going digital through Apple Movies. I never thought I would say that as I've been a die hard physical media forever guy for years but the quality, convenience, and price of digital movies on Apple Movies won me over. Apples bitrate is highest in the industry and their compression technology is probably the best. Apple is offering a peak bit rate of around 30Mb/s for movies and 40Mb/s for Apple TV + shows while Amazon Prime peaks around 15 Mb/s and about the same with Netflix which is disappointing. Disney + isn't much better, around 15 Mb/s but I've read some reports of it being a bit higher.
I just can't stomach buying the same movies on yet another physical format, I mean how many copies of Back to the Future can one own? lol. Bought it on VHS, then DVD, and finally Blu Ray. I passed on the physical 4K versions and bought them on Apple Movies in 4K for $15 during a sale. Pricing on Apple Movies, especially during sales as mentioned, is really good. I picked up the entire Lord of the Rings and Hobbit extended 4K trilogies for $50 this past Christmas. The 4k Blu Ray's would have been over $200 at the time, even $160 now on sale. I just can't do it.
The video below is a professional comparison between 4K Ultra Blu Ray vs streaming on Apple TV 4K. The results are surprisingly close. The 4K Ultra Blu Ray looks slightly better in some parts but its not very noticeable, not enough personally to sway me. For my setup I have an Apple TV 4K wired to my router with a 500Mbps internet connection and movies (plus Apple TV + shows which run at an even higher bit rate) look amazing.

The biggest downside to streaming is (a) can have lack of HDR and (b) lossy audio / Atmos using Dolby Digital. If you have a good rig, you have to feed it a good diet! If I ever dump physical, I'll be going direct to Kaleidescape.

#70 3 years ago

If you’re into horror movies you collect old video formats.

Not that I would know

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Not sure if you have any of these but they're excellent in different ways. Murderock is a good 80s giallo with some fantastic 'talent' and a great Keith Emerson score. Conquest is a fantasy movie he did also in the 80s worth checking out. Typical sci fi/fantasy of the time, but with some scenes of gore and wonderful overdubs, plus one of the main villains is topless the entire movie. Touch of Death a bit of an odd film. It's a dark comedy Fulci style.

Here's the IMDB for Touch of Death: "A moody, middle-aged gigolo kills off women after he gets bored with dating them and uses their body parts for trophies and for consumption."

Aenigma I havent seen in awhile, its 80s supernatural horror I need to revisit. "Carrie", Fulci style. I have the 88 Films release (another great label) but decided to double dip and get the Severin release. Zombi 3 is credited to Fulci, but it was taken over by Bruno Mattei when Fulci became ill on set. It's still amazing and I love his movies too. Perversion Story is another early giallo with Marisa Mell in it...and, well, I love Marisa Mell.

Good stuff, thanks! I have at least heard of most of those, except for Murderock and Perversion Story. I have Zombi 3 (and 4) and really enjoyed that one. From what I heard, Fulci did most of the A story, and Mattei added in all of the scenes with the squad of guys in white hazmat suits. It's like a colorful live action zombie comic. Some fantastic cover art on all of these too. I would love to see a modern day horror pin with artwork in this style! You can see where the artist for Zaccaria Spooky got their influences from. I actually had the covers for Aenigma and Cat in the Brain set as my Windows wallpaper for a long time, but have never got a chance to see them. What's great about this hobby is that there is somehow still new 70s and 80s movies to discover and share, even after all this time. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

#72 3 years ago
2AB67F72-4E16-4F20-98D8-61FD62E2E49D (resized).jpeg2AB67F72-4E16-4F20-98D8-61FD62E2E49D (resized).jpeg
#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

[quoted image]

If anybody has leads on 16mm or 35mm prints, I'm in the market...

4 weeks later
#74 3 years ago

While I'm sure only fans of so-bad-it's-good cinema will be familiar with these, I wanted to show off my Neil Breen collection now that I finally have the covers for all 5 films. Neil is so cheap that most of these flicks ship new with no cover art. He makes Tommy Wiseau look like James Cameron.

20210325_100858 (resized).jpg20210325_100858 (resized).jpg
#75 3 years ago

I had collected movies in any format for a long time, and was sitting around 1200 each for VHS and DVD for a few years. I recently had decided to scale it back because the amount of videos were firstly a real pain to track, but also take forever to watch. Another issue I had is that there were so many that I would never watch again, or would not want to watch for 10 years. So I had decided to cut back on everything and limit myself to just 1 shelf for widescreen and one for full frame, and then 1 shelf for TV shows.

My living room has two TVs with different setups. The 4:3 setup has a 32" Trinitron with ProLogic II AVR, LaserDisc player, VCR and BD Player. On this I only will watch full frame videos. The other TV is a 16:19 1080p, 4K AVR, UHD BD player, HD-DVD player and subwoofer. The subwoofer is on a switch between each AVR but not the speakers. Both AVRs run the 5.1 arrangement, but of course the ProLogic II AVR is 4.1.

I do have other formats and other players but there is not really a comfort to watching them because of those sets. Like I have a 16:9 SD TV that I can watch widescreen VHS on. Part of the problem was that CE products were really getting phased out, and things got really expensive on Ebay. Plus I had picked up so many lemons over the years. Beta player that doesn't work so I never got to watch any Beta tapes. Betacam tapes I have, no player. UMDs, no PSP. I do have 1 Video8 and do have a Video8 player, but really I used it just that one time to see if it worked. 8mm projector doesn't work, 16mm projector missing a part and is absolutely huge. DIVX discs that won't work because the DRM servers are down. VCDs have seemingly disappeared from anywhere.

With too many hobbies, sacrifices had to be made unfortunately. I am always interested in getting some format and making it work, but being able to phase it into a regular rotation I think is going to be a thing of the past.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

While I'm sure only fans of so-bad-it's-good cinema will be familiar with these, I wanted to show off my Neil Breen collection now that I finally have the covers for all 5 films. Neil is so cheap that most of these flicks ship new with no cover art. He makes Tommy Wiseau look like James Cameron.
[quoted image]

Now that is a collection! One of my fondest cinematic memories was seeing Fateful Findings at a Seattle film festival in the early 2010s. It was a transcendent experience. I've seen Double Down too, but need to finish the rest of his oeuvre.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

And I have these that I still need to watch. Lizard in a Woman's Skin is regarded by some as one of his greatest films, if not his best. The rest are a mixed bag but i'm sure I will dig them.
I was mistaken about the most directed movies I have by a person. It's actually Umberto Lenzi. I have the most movies of his of any director. Don't even get me started on him!
[quoted image]

A Cat in the Brain is a lot of fun, one of my Fulci favs. He was also quite good as an actor in it IMO. Lizard is awesome, particularly the Morricone score. I play it all the time. Because of the box sets I bought I have the most movies by Ingmar Bergman then Al Adamson, which is a funny 1 and 2 combo.

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from Rivv:

Now that is a collection! One of my fondest cinematic memories was seeing Fateful Findings at a Seattle film festival in the early 2010s. It was a transcendent experience. I've seen Double Down too, but need to finish the rest of his oeuvre.

That is badass!! I haven't been lucky enough to see any of these in the theater. Fateful Findings and Double Down are probably my two favorites, though part of that may be that I saw Double Down first and Neil is at his most awkward in that one. Really, they are all worth multiple viewings, but Twisted Pair may be his most ambitious film to date. My wife actually got me Double Down for my birthday one year by emailing Neil directly, and he sent a hand addressed copy with his autograph on the disc! It's the little things that make life worth living...

20210325_155055 (resized).jpg20210325_155055 (resized).jpg
#79 3 years ago
Quoted from Rivv:

A Cat in the Brain is a lot of fun, one of my Fulci favs. He was also quite good as an actor in it IMO.

Ok, now I know what Fulci flick I am adding to the library next. I rewatched the whole 'Gates of Hell' trilogy since we were last talking Fulci in this thread. It just gets better every time!

HMP-Gates-of-Hell-Trilogy (resized).jpgHMP-Gates-of-Hell-Trilogy (resized).jpg
#80 3 years ago

Love the autograph and story! I had a similar experience when my wife ordered The Room blu-ray from Tommy for a Christmas present for me and he sent a signed 8x10 head shot of himself with the dedication "Be Good!" I need to watch Twisted Pair, looks totally bonkers from the trailer.

On the Fulci front I got the 4k versions of House by the Cemetery and The New York Ripper a while ago but haven't watched them in that format yet. Sounds like they look great from reviews and the Maniac and Vigilante 4k releases also from Blue Underground I have are awesome.

There is a cool Gates of Hell trilogy vinyl set too if you collect records. Love those Frizzi scores.

#81 3 years ago

Some recent pickups, most excited about the Doctor Who set since it's my favorite doctor and one of the very best seasons featuring the introduction of the first and best Master. Also can't wait to see Demons 1 and 2 in 4k.

BR4K (resized).jpgBR4K (resized).jpg
#82 3 years ago
Quoted from Rivv:

There is a cool Gates of Hell trilogy vinyl set too if you collect records. Love those Frizzi scores.

I'm still kicking myself for missing out on that low key Fabio Frizzi tour in late 2019. Didn't know about it 'til a week after he was here in town.

Couldn't decide what to watch last night between Fulci or Lenzi, so I went with Anthropophagous directed by Joe D'Amato. I had already seen Absurd and wasn't crazy about it, but this makes me want to give that one another watch.

20210327_073042 (resized).jpg20210327_073042 (resized).jpg
#83 3 years ago
Quoted from Rivv:

Love the autograph and story! I had a similar experience when my wife ordered The Room blu-ray from Tommy for a Christmas present for me and he sent a signed 8x10 head shot of himself with the dedication "Be Good!" I need to watch Twisted Pair, looks totally bonkers from the trailer.

On the Fulci front I got the 4k versions of House by the Cemetery and The New York Ripper a while ago but haven't watched them in that format yet. Sounds like they look great from reviews and the Maniac and Vigilante 4k releases also from Blue Underground I have are awesome.

That's another great autograph story! It sounds like Wiseau has a pretty good sense of humor. I wish he could have kept the rest of his work on par with The Room. I think he became too self-aware and tried too hard to emulate what he did in that movie, but it's the type of thing you just can't do intentionally.

Blue Underground really does incredible work. They are really consistent too. Even their DVDs are some of the best looking I have ever seen. AFAIK - it was formed by a lot of the original crew from Anchor Bay, from before the Stars merger. I don't know where horror home video would be today without them. I'm sure those 4k prints will pop!

#84 3 years ago

On the subject of slashers... It's really hard to narrow it down, but these are some of my favorites. My tastes are definitely more 'beer' than 'champagne' I think I at least have just about every domestic classic on disc. I would love to hear about more!

20210329_163243 (resized).jpg20210329_163243 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#85 2 years ago

Got some new stuff lately. I cant keep up. Severin has some good stuff coming up. Also Arrow has an Italian 70s Cop box set coming soon and that's a must have. Also Switchblade Sisters finally on a decent label. Watched Cannival Ferox last weekend. Lenzi is king.

20210421_172626 (resized).jpg20210421_172626 (resized).jpg20210421_172635 (resized).jpg20210421_172635 (resized).jpg

#86 2 years ago

Is American Rickshaw a new addition? Does it hold up? I came so close to buying that on my last order from Diabolik.

#87 2 years ago

The main downside of streaming for me is that you’re at the mercy of their contract and schedule. I have the Criterion service, and I always start browsing with the “Leaving This Month” section. I wanted to stream “Strange Days” on New Year’s Eve and it wasn’t available anywhere.

I always buy CDs for music. I like having a physical backup, and I like the way my Onkyo CD player sounds so I use it a lot. I have a wall full of CDs behind my office chair, and my young coworkers get a kick out of that on Zoom calls. I used to hide it, now I embrace it.

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Is American Rickshaw a new addition? Does it hold up? I came so close to buying that on my last order from Diabolik.

I havent watched it yet but I started Beyond Terror and I'm really digging it.

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Get it. It's amazing. Donald Plesance is in it and kinda feels like if Carpenter was weird 80s Italian.

1 week later
#90 2 years ago

Laserdisc collector here. I grew up watching Tom and Jerry and the Looney Tunes on Laserdisc. Still have those box sets and will never get rid of them.

I started seriously collecting about 4 years ago. I've got over 1500 titles in my collection. For me, nothing beats Laserdisc when it comes to audio. Uncompressed digital audio, original theater mixes, and killer AC3 and DTS soundtracks that will shake the house!

One of my collection goals is to be Criterion Collection complete, and I'm about 70% there. There are so many releases with great extras and commentaries that aren't available anywhere else. Plus there's all the movies that have been altered for re-release/streaming (Looking at you George Lucas and Disney!). It's always nice to see them in their original form. Then there's all the obscure B movies that only were released on Laserdisc/VHS. Those are always hilarious!

One of my favorite things is to spin a late release or DTS disc for someone who has never seen a Laserdisc. They are always blown away by the sound and typically impressed with the picture quality, especially for a technology designed in the 70s! Hearing the blu-ray after is always a let down.

The picture quality on late releases is usually quite good. Sometimes on par with DVD or better since there is no digital compression or artifacts. It's amazing how much they were able to progress and maximize the potential of that format. The difference between the very early DiscoVision titles (that look really rough) and the releases in the 90s with discrete surround sound is just incredible.

This was my collection about a year and a half ago. I've added probably about another 150-200 discs since then.

bf1a13e099398793312e550c030aa62a7182a85b (resized).jpgbf1a13e099398793312e550c030aa62a7182a85b (resized).jpg

I also collect Criterion Collection BluRays. I've got 40-50. Then a handful of miscellaneous blurays, dvds, and VHS concert recordings.

I also have a couple of D-VHS tapes. Unfortunately my player just stopped working this spring, so I'll have to repair it again. It's definitely power supply related which is easy enough to fix. I still never get used to seeing full 1080 HD video and surround sound from a media that has the same physical form as a VHS tape. That D-VHS deck has some of the nicest VHS playback as well.

Then there's the audio collection. Maybe a 100-150 CDs, a couple 100 records, a couple dozen cassettes, and about a dozen reel to reel tapes.

#91 2 years ago

Finally got in the last of my most recent orders, including the new Homegrown Horrors Vol. 1 from Vinegar Syndrome. This set includes 'Winterbeast', 'Fatal Exam' and 'Beyond Dream's Door'. I've only seen Winterbeast before, but it was a crowd pleaser. I was also excited to score a copy of Graduation Day, since this had been OOP for a few years and I didn't think it was coming back. I added a few other 80's oddballs for good measure.

20210511_115846 (resized).jpg20210511_115846 (resized).jpg
#92 2 years ago

Been on a vhs kick and getting tons of oddball stuff during my flea market trips. There’s another live action Adam’s Family with Tim Curry, never knew till last week.
The other pic is my Saturday haul. Most stacks I buy are cheaper than a coffee at Starbucks. Mostly buy horror, animation, anime, odd stuff, and tv recordings with commercials.

6195C73A-AED7-49E1-974E-8A610D53D444 (resized).jpeg6195C73A-AED7-49E1-974E-8A610D53D444 (resized).jpegE6BBF164-E712-4418-807C-A8F637FC17AF (resized).jpegE6BBF164-E712-4418-807C-A8F637FC17AF (resized).jpeg
#93 2 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

Been on a vhs kick and getting tons of oddball stuff during my flea market trips. There’s another live action Adam’s Family with Tim Curry, never knew till last week.
The other pic is my Saturday haul. Most stacks I buy are cheaper than a coffee at Starbucks. Mostly buy horror, animation, anime, odd stuff, and tv recordings with commercials.[quoted image][quoted image]

I never knew that even existed.

See you have a I was a Teenage Frankenstien as well - great film.

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

There’s another live action Adam’s Family with Tim Curry, never knew till last week.

Wow I kinda remember that from when I worked at Blockbuster.

"A Killer Comedy." Thats the best tagline they could come up with, but it makes no sense.

#95 2 years ago

I've been trying to hunt down a copy of Addams Family Reunion on Laserdisc for a couple of years now. Tim Curry is one of my favorite actors. You'll have to let us know if it's any good!

1 month later
#96 2 years ago

Here's my latest order. Some are upgrades from flicks I had on dvd. sunnRAT - I ended up taking your advice on American Rickshaw. Wow, that is a weird one!

Interesting thing on 'The Nesting'... I had seen this movie as a little kid in the 80s and some scenes gave me nightmares. Later in life, I could never figure out what the movie was and in recent years, I started to believe that maybe it just *was* a nightmare I had as a kid and the movie didn't really exist. I was watching movie reviews on yt a couple months ago and BAM! Clips from this movie appeared on the screen and it hit me like a brick wall. I jumped up and shouted to my wife "It's that f'ng movie I've been talking about for years! It's real!!" It was just such an amazing moment to have this nearly 40 year old mystery finally laid to rest.

20210707_170735.jpg20210707_170735.jpg
#97 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Here's my latest order. Some are upgrades from flicks I had on dvd. SunnRAT - I ended up taking your advice on American Rickshaw. Wow, that is a weird one!
Interesting thing on 'The Nesting'... I had seen this movie as a little kid in the 80s and some scenes gave me nightmares. Later in life, I could never figure out what the movie was and in recent years, I started to believe that maybe it just *was* a nightmare I had as a kid and the movie didn't really exist. I was watching movie reviews on yt a couple months ago and BAM! Clips from this movie appeared on the screen and it hit me like a brick wall. I jumped up and shouted to my wife "It's that f'ng movie I've been talking about for years! It's real!!" It was just such an amazing moment to have this nearly 40 year old mystery finally laid to rest.
[quoted image]

Nice haul!

Beyond the Black Rainbow is awesome.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Nice haul!

Beyond the Black Rainbow is awesome.

Thanks! I haven't seen 'Rainbow' yet, but it's been recommended to me several times so I decided to take a chance on it.

#99 2 years ago

Some HIGHLY recommended viewing box sets I got recently. Some really good stuff coming out lately from practically all the top labels.

20210710_211529 (resized).jpg20210710_211529 (resized).jpg

#100 2 years ago

Finally watching this tonight.

20210710_232041 (resized).jpg20210710_232041 (resized).jpg
There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/physical-movie-media-enthusiasts-dvd-blu-ray-laserdisc-vhs-etc/page/2?hl=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.