10580248_888681481146895_3896121781578052413_n.jpg
WETA-Smaug-the-Terrible-Statue-1-1024x768.jpg
Weta6.jpg
SmaugSDCC201432_zpsf1c1991e.jpg
SmaugSDCC201431_zps6dab0ce0.jpg
SmaugSDCC201430_zps22e1cc4c.jpg
IMAG1419.jpg
20140809092409214.jpg
There are 273 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 9 years ago

I don't care much for the 8K price but I don't buy new pins either, except for WOZ. I bought WOZ at $6500 and I am buying THLE and I will buy PL's game if I can afford it. There is no way I could pull 8K out of my ass to buy a pin so their layaway plan works for me. No pin is worth what they are selling for now but it is what it is. Jack raised the bar along with the price then Gary just raised the price but as long as people are jumping to buy his games he will only raise the price and leave the bar where it is or lower it if he can get away with it.

#252 9 years ago

No doubt Hobbit is shaping up to be an awesome game. However, I don't think pinball companies can flourish at the 8k price (plus tax and shipping.) You cannot count on selling 1000 LE's to home users/collectors alone (much less 1500.) So JJP will still have to rely heavily on route operators. Despite WOZ currently earning ... the verdict is still very much out on sustaining long-term earnings and what the ROI might ultimately be. Unless it's earning bank on location (for at least a couple years) ... game prices will have to get a little bit cheaper again.

#253 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

There is no way I could pull 8K out of my ass to buy a pin

you can pull anything currency related out of you arse?

#254 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

No doubt Hobbit is shaping up to be an awesome game. However, I don't think pinball companies can flourish at the 8k price (plus tax and shipping.) You cannot count on selling 1000 LE's to home users/collectors alone (much less 1500.) So JJP will still have to rely heavily on route operators. Despite WOZ currently earning ... the verdict is still very much out on sustaining long-term earnings and what the ROI might ultimately be. Unless it's earning bank on location (for at least a couple years) ... game prices will have to get a little bit cheaper again.

I agree with you except for certain exceptions. If you pick the right theme you have a built in market. JJP (woz and th) and recently stern (acdc and Metallica). But those are limited in nature. I think $5-6k is the sweet spot medium term. Love what I am seeing in the Hobbit. If JJP has the HP license then that will be big dollar as we'll.

#255 9 years ago

Not lately, no

#256 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Never stand behind zr11990 in line at the bank!

#257 9 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-woz-hobbit-update

I uploaded some pictures from the JJP open house with some good pictures of the playfield and assembly line.

#258 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I saw a WOZ pusher machine at a amusement park and they used the same art for it that they did the pin. I also saw the same WOZ video on a game someone was playing on the computer.

Sounds about right. I saw an Avengers popcorn tin with the exact same clip art as the pin, except with better printing quality.

#259 9 years ago

I saw an Avengers popcorn tin with the exact same clip art as the pin, except with better printing quality.

I LOLed at that. Well maybe snickered a little, out loud.

It is best not to look to closely at the artwork on the PFs.

#260 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I agree. I want Smaug to be interactive and see the toy move, capture balls, shoot at it, etc. I'm not paying nearly $8k for The Hobbit to have a statue of Smaug in it that doesn't move. The statute is cool but this is a pinball machine! If the Smaug toy is just a ball lock, that doesn't move at all and ejects balls back to the player through a VUK that will be a bummer.

That's what I meant when I said Smaug will be the game. Thanks for putting it better than I did.

#261 9 years ago

I like the barrels. They look great and it makes sense unto have them on the pops. Cool.

#262 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I like the barrels a lot! If Matt sculpted those himself by hand I think that is a step up from past work. Look really nice! I do wish there was some lighting (or other mechanical effect) on these bumper caps though so they did "something" when hit. Always a fun effect in pinball.
Encouraging that Smaug could be really detailed!

If they were lit so the inside of the barrel looked like water moving, that would be cool.

#263 9 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Sounds about right. I saw an Avengers popcorn tin with the exact same clip art as the pin, except with better printing quality.

One of the Avengers translites is just the DVD cover, so that's not really surprising.

#264 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I think Smaug's impact to the game will be in the large toy in the top left ... in fact, I think it would be better if he wasn't in the PF image (just the mountain), but all in all it should look nice.

Good point - if there is only one Smaug, there should be a toy or an image on the PF, not both. But I'll put that down as a minor quibble.

#265 9 years ago

I look at it like you see him in the back ground as the journey begins (play field) and once you knock everything down in the way to get into the mountain you come face to face with the real "live" Smaug

#266 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Good point - if there is only one Smaug, there should be a toy or an image on the PF, not both. But I'll put that down as a minor quibble.

For what it's worth, though I think the PF is nice. I would actually remove Smaug from the PF art, and make the Lonely Mountain as large as it was on the prior PF - and remove the dragon. I am not a fan of the look of dragon in that particular pose, and I wouldn't use a 'fire breathing' image of him either. So why have the mountain so large? I think it is a core piece of the story, they spend half the book trying to get there, and after they do, the main 'evil' lives there, and the rest of story is fighting around and for it...

If however, the top left was not going to be dedicated to Smaug, and instead did something like have Dol Guldur, or something along those lines, I would definitely have Smaug in the PF image front and center. Otherwise, a nice toy in the corner would do nicely. Especially it the toy is very different in looks to the movie version. If he is too different then you are looking right at something in the center that is going to reference how different/good he actually looked in the movies. I just wouldn't want that directly competing with the toy is all I am saying.

I don't want to come off negative, just wanted to add my 2 cents. Love what I am seeing otherwise

#267 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

If they were lit so the inside of the barrel looked like water moving, that would be cool.

Sounds like a good mod......

#268 9 years ago

The toys look fantastic. Did not expect this quality. When smaug is big and still detailed like these.... Frikking awesome.

#269 9 years ago

Anyone wondered who is in the barrel?

#270 9 years ago

Are there any high-res close up shots of the new playfield yet?

#271 9 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

A few hear.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-woz-hobbit-update

#272 9 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

There were some close-up photos earlier in the thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/photo-of-keith-johnson-with-hobbit-playfield/page/2#post-1828792

1 week later
#273 9 years ago

Dunno about the obsession with toy detail quality. Sure it's nice, but (for Smaug) I'm more concerned about what it *does* than the fine details, as long as it looks reasonably cool. People expect the world for an $8k pin? I dunno; I've seen lots of people here pay that for a game that has just a couple of off-the-shelf toys, a laser pointer, some extra LEDs, and a single interactive mechanism....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 273 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/photo-of-keith-johnson-with-hobbit-playfield/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.