10580248_888681481146895_3896121781578052413_n.jpg
WETA-Smaug-the-Terrible-Statue-1-1024x768.jpg
Weta6.jpg
SmaugSDCC201432_zpsf1c1991e.jpg
SmaugSDCC201431_zps6dab0ce0.jpg
SmaugSDCC201430_zps22e1cc4c.jpg
IMAG1419.jpg
20140809092409214.jpg

There are 273 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 9 years ago

image-997.jpgimage-997.jpg

#2 9 years ago

JJP just posted it on their FB page.

#3 9 years ago

Horrible! Awful!!!

This looks like the worst game ever!! How could they unleash this monstrosity upon us?!

#5 9 years ago

Pretty confident with keefer at the helm on the software side of things, this is gonna be pretty bitchin'.

#6 9 years ago

Too low rez to really be able to see, but I think I spot some of the fixes we hoped to see from the original thread critiques.

#7 9 years ago

Looks pretty damn good to me there definitely is a difference to this wood than most layouts. Keefer will have a field day on this one I'm sure.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

Pretty confident with keefer at the helm on the software side of things, this is gonna be pretty bitchin'.

Agreed! Bitchin theme, too. I'm PIF on this one and am not known for my patience. If JJP once again takes 3 years to get them all out the door I'm gonna snap. Here's to hoping for a Winter or Spring delivery.

#9 9 years ago

looks like the heads are fixed although would have liked to see a bigger Smaug in the middle where Mountain is. Tough to really give opinion till all the Toys (dedicated to Panzer) are!

#10 9 years ago

I just don't see this as they have the platform ready, the box, the wood and hopefully have filtered out all the rotten suppliers! There will be no excuse this time round.....They have our money!

#11 9 years ago

Looks like they shrunk down smaug, his wings were up into the lock letters and no longer are

#12 9 years ago

this is the game i'm waiting for from JJP.

with keith behind the code, it's gonna be amazing.

#13 9 years ago

It looks like the mountain is further out in the pic but smaug is the same size but with the mountain further in the background it makes smaug look bigger. I like it. Need a closer shot of it to take in all the fixes.

#14 9 years ago

So because its fun - I think the flow of this games like Williams IJ - I think I just got really interested in playing this game.

#15 9 years ago

Can we get a side-by-side of this new pic (cropped) along with the originally released artwork? Stat!

#16 9 years ago

Looking good can't wait to see the game with everything together. I have high hopes for this game

#17 9 years ago

Looks awesome...can't wait to see it all put together!

--Luke

#18 9 years ago

nice. I like how Levi stirs up to pot and basically mocks the ones who think they can tell how fun or great a game will be by looking at it.

#19 9 years ago

Looking good, very reassuring to see that they incorporated some of feedback from the last thread!

Can't wait to see this with the plastics and the toys... I'm really curious about the Smaug toy (though I expect that will be one of the last bits we see, ha ha.) There is a nice big hole in the playfield where he's going to be!

#20 9 years ago

i just hope they are going to pump it out of the JJP factory faster than WOZ.

anyone think it's going to be ready to ship in december?

#21 9 years ago

Looking good to me. Seems like the framing around the inserts in front of the flippers and around the pop up trolls (or whatever they are) has changed. Also like that they removed the big orc that was next to the slingshot, in my opinion it makes the mountain scene with the armies in the foreground look much better.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

No doubt!

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Horrible! Awful!!!
This looks like the worst game ever!! How could they unleash this monstrosity upon us?!

Why this reply? No reason for sarcasm here... you ARE allowed to make normal posts once in a while, you know

#24 9 years ago

It's not the clearest photo to work with, and angled funny, but this should help visualize what's changed:

Edit: Hmm, Pinside processing is making the gif shift around funny, look at it here, it's much clearer:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/227626/Shared/hobbit-ab.gif

Edit2: Or just click the image below, it will show right when you do the Pinside enlarge:

hobbit-ab.gifhobbit-ab.gif

#25 9 years ago

Looks pretty good for the style they've chosen, or were forced to used, but it's just not pinball art to me. Not my cup of tea. But I'm not buying one anyway, and most everyone seems happy with it, so thumbs up JJP.

#27 9 years ago

So they did remove the White Orc (azog the defiler).

They managed to shift Smaug so that the wings are not touching lock letters.

They made the mountain smaller/wider by shrinking.

They definitely played with the location of the Dwarf heads in some areas.

Any other improvements?

Looks great!

Thanks for doing this JJP!

#28 9 years ago

Can someone overlay an old pic of Keef so we can see what's changed with him?

#29 9 years ago

I'm diggin it!

Thanks JJP, I'm lookin forward to another AWESOME game!

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from micro:

Any other improvements?

The scrolls are angled to match the shape around them now.

#31 9 years ago

Wish I could say I was on the list for Hobbit, but MMr cleaned me out.

Maybe I'll have funds available by the time the Pat Lawlor game is ready.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from micro:

So they did remove the White Orc (azog the defiler).
They managed to shift Smaug so that the wings are not touching lock letters.
They made the mountain smaller/wider by shrinking.
They definitely played with the location of the Dwarf heads in some areas.
Any other improvements?
Looks great!
Thanks for doing this JJP!

Funny how just shrinking the mountain a little makes the dragon look larger and closer. I like it much better.

#33 9 years ago

It's a work of art. Really looking forward to seeing how it all pulls together. They should really consider producing some posters for this title. It would be the first time in years! It would be an instant revenue maker. Don't even bother with printing backglass posters. Design a real old fashion pinball poster!

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

Can someone overlay an old pic of Keef so we can see what's changed with him?

Only his head

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's not the clearest photo to work with, and angled funny, but this should help visualize what's changed:
Edit: Hmm, Pinside processing is making the gif shift around funny, look at it here, it's much clearer:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/227626/Shared/hobbit-ab.gif

Thanks for posting the comparison. It looks even better now. Good work, JJP!

#36 9 years ago

But will the game come with the coin mechs?

#37 9 years ago

Happy with the changes. Good job, JJP

#38 9 years ago

Looking good.
No way I can get the Hobbit and Pats game.
Can't wait to play a game of Hobbit.

#39 9 years ago

Excited to buy one once they ship. I'll be the guy buying 1 from a person who has it in hand. So, it will cost a little more but my money won't be tied up.

#40 9 years ago

Seems like JJP's decision to release the beta art, take the heaps of abuse that followed, and then make some adjustments/improvements as a result really changed the tone of the discussion. I don't always see it as advantageous for pinball manufacturers to engage with the online community (great for us, not always great for them), but it seems to have worked out well for JJP here.

Post edited by fosaisu: typo

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Seems like JJP's decision to release the beta art, take the heaps of abuse that follow, and then make some adjustments/improvements as a result really changed the tone of the discussion. I don't always see it as advantageous for pinball manufacturers to engage with the online community (great for us, not always great for them), but it seems to have worked out well for JJP here.

Yes. Looks like they listened to the constructive criticism and the game will be better because of it.

#42 9 years ago

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see the game populated with its toys and features.

#43 9 years ago

We listen very very closely. We aren't building the games for us

#44 9 years ago

looks like Keith's head is floating above the playfield, need to fix that, oh and we cant see the font on his tee-shirt either

Edit - should just add that I think the PF looks v-good.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

We listen very very closely. We aren't building the games for us

This is great to hear, feedback is key! I work in game dev and I think the same way. When we release a demo or show the game to the public I read every comment and listen to everyone's feedback, good or bad. Some things you just can't change due to the design or scope, but sometimes there is some great feedback. This only makes for a better product in the end

#46 9 years ago

Thanks Aurich for the comparison (you have to click on it by the way to see it).

They removed the orc! That's awesome.
Hard to tell but it looks like the dwarf heads may be in circles now.
Great that they fixed the wings, frames and scrolls.

So great that they listened to the criticism!

I'm actually still hoping they change the backglass design and the right side cabinet art (remove the orc) because I feel those are now the weak points of the art package but have to give them credit for addressing the playfield issues.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Thanks Aurich for the comparison (you have to click on it by the way to see it).

Oh you're right, clicking on it works too. Dunno why it's looking weird in the embedded preview. Oh well.

#48 9 years ago

There must be a whole lotta things gonna be going on with toys on the playfield since it has so many less inserts than WOZ.

#49 9 years ago

Very nice! Looks like the text of the dwarf names are aligned so they all look the same...no more stretching!

#50 9 years ago

I think some of the images of ghostly characters just lateral to the upper trap doors have been removed as well, cleaning up the art. Not as uselessly busy. Addition by subtraction like by loss of white orc.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 273 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/photo-of-keith-johnson-with-hobbit-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.