• 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

il_340x270.1260221531_izc1 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Not much of the real deal left either it would seem.

#2 5 years ago

I never felt so much alike alike alike!

#3 5 years ago

Sharif don’t like it!

Says it’s not Kosher!!!

#4 5 years ago

I live by the river.

#5 5 years ago

Damn, until just now, I always thought the lyric was "if only beatlemania had bitten the dust."

#6 5 years ago

Death or glory

#7 5 years ago

Oy vey.

#8 5 years ago

Every clash pin needs a Topper and the Head On.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Every clash pin needs a Topper and the Head On.

Most intelligent Pinside post EVER...

#10 5 years ago

That's classic!

I suppose we could make this the official Clash pinball speculation thread...

#11 5 years ago

or did the hitsville hit the uk?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from TomT:

Death or glory

Is just another story.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not much of the real deal left either it would seem.

My Man! If they had any taste they'd be making this pin.

il_340x270.1260221531_izc1 (resized).jpgil_340x270.1260221531_izc1 (resized).jpg
#14 5 years ago

In the late 70s and early 80s, bands like the Clash were finding listeners among those that were burnt out and tired of the old stadium rock bands, and provided some intelligence and energy those other bands were lacking. And also a bit of motivation.

I was one of them and was lucky enough to take in two Clash shows before they dissolved. It was a fun time.

#15 5 years ago

Charlie Don't Surf!

#16 5 years ago

A friend of mine saw the Clash open for The Who on their first farewell tour. There was much booing!

Still, probably better received than Stones fans took to Prince in Oakland around the same time!

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

In the late 70s and early 80s, bands like the Clash were finding listeners among those that were burnt out and tired of the old stadium rock bands, and provided some intelligence and energy those other bands were lacking. And also a bit of motivation.
I was one of them and was lucky enough to take in two Clash shows before they dissolved. It was a fun time.

I wish I had seen them back in the 80's. I did however see Havana 3 A.M. in L.A. once, they weren't that good. I did like Strummer's work with the Latino Rockabilly War and The Mescaleros though. Also not many know people know that Strummer acted in several Alex Cox's and Jim Jarmusch's new new wave movies, Strummer also did the soundtrack for a couple of films Sid and Nancy being the first, that movie also kicked off Gary Oldman's career.

#18 5 years ago

Hell yes. The clash is my absolute all time favorite. I'll always be lost in the supermarket.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A friend of mine saw the Clash open for The Who on their first farewell tour. There was much booing!

Shea Stadium?

I was at the one at the LA Coliseum where my car got jacked for parking on a side street. Not the best neighborhood to be car-less in. Me and my buddy were singing 'Walking In LA" that night. lol.

Both bands were great that night and no booing like the Prince/ Stones or Ramones/ Black Sabbath show. Poor Ramones were dodging objects that night. Haha.

Quoted from kvan99:

I did however see Havana 3 A.M. in L.A. once, they weren't that good

Gary Myrick's new band! lol.

#20 5 years ago

Sweet! Now I've got something to listen to today.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Shea Stadium?
I was at the one at the LA Coliseum where my car got jacked for parking on a side street. Not the best neighborhood to be car-less in. Me and my buddy were singing 'Walking In LA" that night. lol.
Both bands were great that night and no booing like the Prince/ Stones or Ramones/ Black Sabbath show. Poor Ramones were dodging objects that night. Haha.

This was Shea Stadium.....crazy crowd, awesome work.

PS: another fun fact, in this song they had (IIRC) one of their roadies call his mother in Honduras in the middle of the night while at the studio to help translate the lyrics into Spanish so Joe could sing the the same lyrics in the background as Mick was singing except in Spanish.

#22 5 years ago

OK, I was just reading some comments from that LA show.

"Ray was from LA and knew that we should pay the young man that wanted $5 to park on the neighborhood street. I came to understand the truck would be there, and in good shape, when we returned if we paid the guy. "

HAHA! I was too cheap to give that dude the $5!

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Still, probably better received than Stones fans took to Prince in Oakland around the same time!

I saw Prince open for the Stones in L.A. in 1981. The bottles were flying at him and he left the stage after about 4 songs.

I remember he played his song "I'll Jack U Off" before leaving the stage, calling the crowd assholes.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I saw Prince open for the Stones in L.A. in 1981. The bottles were flying at him and he left the stage after about 4 songs.

I remember he played his song "I'll Jack U Off" before leaving the stage, calling the crowd assholes.

There was an article in the LA Times about that time and a few other shows called "The boos have it!" referring to the cold reception the old rock fans were giving some of the newer warm up acts that would later go onto become big stars.

At that time the old rockers and newer punks did not get along so well. And there were a lot of fights.

I remember after I got my hair cropped, some burnout came into my work and actually tried to pick a fight over that! LOL. It was just another reason to leave that stale scene behind.

#25 5 years ago

Saw The Clash in Pittsburgh in '82. I began my 40+ year radio career in June of 1978 and as soon as "Give 'em Enough Rope" was released, I was playing "Safe European Home" in Heavy Rotation. People had no idea what to think back then about such music because, as someone stated above, all they wanted to hear was Journey, REO Speedwagon and Styx. Thankfully, the owner's daughter went to him and said something like, "Hey, you better listen to him. I think he knows what he's doing"...and the station went on to have the highest ratings it ever had with our eclectic mix of harder Top 40 hits, the top album tracks of the day and supremely off the wall stuff that NO ONE else was playing.

For those of you who are in to more "off the wall" music from the 1970's-1980's, I've put together a YouTube playlist of "The WTCS Top 200 Songs" from that era. Three songs from The Clash made the Top 200. Check it out if you so desire. Songs are listed in order of how big they were on the station's playlist from 1977-1987...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCEBFE66BBD2C9C80

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from SkeebWilcox:

as someone stated above, all they wanted to hear was Journey, REO Speedwagon and Styx.

It wasn't like they had much of a choice if they were listening to the traditional rock stations, because that was pretty much all they were playing to death by the end of the 70s. Same songs over and over again. I swore if I heard "Don't Bring Me Down Bruce" by ELO one more time, I would smash the radio to bits.

Fortunately in So Cal we had a couple of alternative stations that embraced the new music early on, so for some of us it was easy to escape that trap. The culture was being divided though. And there was a serious rift. You lost old friends but made new ones. It wasn't until years later both crowds sorta merged.

#27 5 years ago

I will add that with the music pins available over the last several years, it's almost as if history is repeating itself but it isn't in for any kind of change like we had back then. Youthful angst or desire for something different does not exist with most involved, be it most of the buyers or the makers of these games.

So gear yourselves up for that "Grand Illusion" LE pinball game, coming soon to a distributor near you, and have a nice day!

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from SkeebWilcox:

was playing "Safe European Home" in Heavy Rotation.

It will be 40 years to the day this Saturday that Give Em Enough Rope was released. Yikes. I always liked Safe European Home.

I remember the first time I heard their cover of Police and Thieves on the Stanford Univ station in 1977. I did a brief DJ stint on another college station in the 80's, playing stuff that you would never hear on commercial radio.

Terrestrial radio really sucks now. It's unbelievably shitty.

#29 5 years ago

It's no accident The Rolling Stones called them the only band that ever mattered on their cover. So many musicians were influenced by the Clash that I can't even recall. U2, Green Day, R.E.M, Rancid, etc... famous actors devotees like Sean Penn, Matt Dillon and of course John Cusack who must squeeze at least one Clash song in every movie he makes. Can you imagine a band naming their album after a Nicaraguan revolution today..ha!

#30 5 years ago

They certainly mattered, but it was them and many other bands that made the scene happen. A lot of newer bands like the ones you listed certainly capitalized later on from the groundwork that had already been laid down.

Clash ended up a victim of bad management when it was decided Mick Jones had to go and it was all downhill after that. The whole scene had started to become commercialized anyway, and the radio stations that previously shunned them and would not take chances playing them and pretty much ignored what was happening, now had it in heavy rotation trying to pass it off like they had just discovered something new.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phony-beatlemania-has-bitten-the-dust and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.