(Topic ID: 200733)

Phone calls vs text/email when selling or buying.

By joekiss

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MrBally
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

why-be-normal-59ea6f (resized).jpg
    I-forgot-my-phone-screenshot-730x399 (resized).png
    images (resized).jpg
    There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I buy and sell a lot on craigslist/Ebay etc. Why is it when I sell a pinball people want to call on the phone? I state in all craigslist ads to please text.Not to be rude but its just so much easier and convenient to just shoot a text or email. If we get serious a call is fine but I get so many just silly calls..seems like some just want to chat or tell how much they want the game but cant afford it or whatever. 4 calls today I was able to answer one and it was a guy asking if I thought it was his old machine. Am I just being cranky here??

#2 6 years ago

You can gather a lot more information in a phone call than you can texting.

In my opinion, calling is more formal. Having someone want to physically take the time out of their day to have a conversation lends more weight to making a favorable deal.

Also, a lot of tone and meaning is lost through informal texting. You can probably weed out potential scams if you talk over the phone, and gauge the quality of the person a little more and exchange more details.

Me, personally, I like to establish an easy line of communication first, but I always like to attempt a phone call as often as I can—especially if I’m making a voyage to see a game.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from joekiss:

4 calls today I was able to answer one and it was a guy asking if I thought it was his old machine. Am I just being cranky here??

Ha lots of lonely pinball folks...i mean seriously, look around

#4 6 years ago

If you try to text me to buy a pinball machine, you're gonna be shit out of luck.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

In my opinion, calling is more formal. Having someone want to physically take the time out of their day to have a conversation lends more weight to making a favorable deal.
    Also, a lot of tone and meaning is lost through informal texting. You can probably weed out potential scams if you talk over the phone, and gauge the quality of the person a little more and exchange more details.
    Me, personally, I like to establish an easy line of communication first, but I always like to attempt a phone call as often as I can—especially if I’m making a voyage to see a game.

Ditto. Especially for older folk like myself.

#6 6 years ago

Texting and leaving a trail is a much better way to keep track of things. Easier to remember who is who. If you want to call and write things down, that's fine but an extra unnecessary step. Call to finalize things is OK.

#7 6 years ago

And if they don't call on the phone, how the hell am I going to give or get directions on where to go?

#8 6 years ago

I usually text a person to make the deal then I call him to make arrangements to pick the game up.

#9 6 years ago

I wouldn't be caught dead texting........mostly because I don't have a cell phone...LOL. Seriously though, I can't tell you how many times I've snagged a game by calling the guy instead of emailing and many times people here on the group were still talking about maybe emailing the guy when what they didn't know was I had already called him and bought it and it's sitting in my basement already.
    Texting and emails can take forever, pick up the phone and make it happen.

John

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And if they don't call on the phone, how the hell am I going to give or get directions on where to go?

They text their address, you click it, and waze tells you how to get there.

Talking on the phone with your voice is over rated.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If you try to text me to buy a pinball machine, you're gonna be shit out of luck.

DITTO !!

John

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

They text their address, you click it, and waze tells you how to get there.

I wish them luck then!

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

I loath the telephone, I'm pro texting.

I will move on to a call like others have posted below.

#14 6 years ago

Seriously, over the years I have amassed quite a collection and sold quite a few including some real rare gems without once ever texting or picking up a cell phone.

#15 6 years ago

Interesting comments. Absolutely 0 problems after a few texts then talking on the phone..

#16 6 years ago

For me |

texting = initial communication, no real commitment, just want a few details
    phone call = I'm serious, very interested, and if the conversation goes well I'm coming over to see what you are selling

#17 6 years ago

I have mostly texted all of my sales and purchases. A few times I had some phone conversation so the other guy could get to know me enough to know I'm a pinball nerd and all, but a few deals went thru and the first time we spoke was at one of our homes to exchange cash for game. Pictures sent, questions answered.... All at the convenience of both of us, rather than ovwr the phone tying the guy up.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Seriously, over the years I have amassed quite a collection and sold quite a few including some real rare gems without once ever texting or picking up a cell phone.

Wow, ditto again!!

John

#19 6 years ago

Prefer phone call can get the info I need in a few minutes instead of going back and forth multiple times and especially with email people will only answer the first ? most of the time and then there's more back and forth. But I'm over 50 so what do I know. Mike

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Wow, ditto again!!
    John

Old men think alike!

#21 6 years ago

I can't think of anything I'd rather do less than talk on the phone...

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

That's the texting generation we live in now unfortunately. I see a family of four sitting in a restaurant booth all texting to each other instead of talking. Very sad!!

John

#23 6 years ago

I'll go with whatever the seller prefers.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

You really need to get a better imagination.

#25 6 years ago

Yea but texting you have to deal with this BS
    "Good day, kindly reply back to my husband Asap at (insert email address) if you still have your ++++ electronics ++++ for sale he's ready to buy it from you"

Not even sure what the ++++ even means. I get these kind of texts all the time with craigslist.
    Craigslist has almost always been the source of my buyers of pinball machines I list, not so much pinside, so I feel I have to use it.

#26 6 years ago

I use a phone call as an interview. I won't buy or sell a game without talking on the phone or in person. We can text, email or candy gram during the "I'm interested" phase. When you are ready to make the deal, we have to talk. No problem at all if that breaks a deal. There is no game I can't live without.

Get off my lawn!

#27 6 years ago

I'm old fashion I guess but I prefer the phone can deal with email/text and smoke signals.

#28 6 years ago

I prefer talking on the phone to get more details. Takes only a couple minutes to figure out really what condition the game is in and make a deal or not. Not making a deal via text.

#29 6 years ago

I prefer text for simplicities sake, but am open to phone as well.

#30 6 years ago

I'm not particular. If a phone number is offered on an ad I will call. No phone then text.

If I have an ad up you can call, text, or email.

#31 6 years ago

I'm going telegram from now on

#32 6 years ago

I need to speak with a real person to make a deal happen. Then perhaps shoot a text over to put it in writing. What was agreed upon. Too much FRAUD to do a deal text/email only. Besides I have to like the person who I'm selling to. If the guy is an ASSHOLE he does not get the game or whatever I'm selling. Even if I was starving & Homeless I would not sell to an ASSHOLE. I will DIE with my pride.... and my pinball machines!

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Old men think alike!

Now, now were not that old. I suppose FaceTime and Android video calls are out of the question for the two of you who are about my age.....

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

That's the texting generation we live in now unfortunately. I see a family of four sitting in a restaurant booth all texting to each other instead of talking. Very sad!!
    John

Again we think alike!

Cell phones have reduced humanity to less than it was for sure. And unfortunately there's no turning back

Quoted from MrBally:

Now, now were not that old.

Funny you should say that but at 55 I still feel very young. May have something to do with the fact that I am not burdened with any mobile device.

#35 6 years ago

I'm guessing this is an age thing. When searching for deals, if there is a phone number I will always call it. I know if it's an older person there is a good chance they are not attached to their phone or computer like most of us. 10 emails might go through, but my phone call is the first actual contact. Remember when you would log into your dial up and check your email a few times a day? Some people choose to live like that. I often wish I was still that person. Seriously, if you don't want a phone call, why leave your phone number? Just leave an email address.

#36 6 years ago

If you won’t FaceTime with me when I’m buying or selling, I will not deal with you.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

If you won’t FaceTime with me when I’m buying or selling, I will not deal with you.

Android, no Apple, so no deal!

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Android, no Apple, so no deal!

^ Agreed!

#39 6 years ago

I state up front in my posting that texts will not be responded to, phone calls only. Eliminates tire kickers and scammers completely.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I could not have said this better. Actually speaking with someone can provide so much info in just a short time vs. 500 txt messages back and fourth. I get so tired of bullshit price offers with zero followup and usually low real interest. First priority buyers for me are the ones that I've spoken with personally. Answering texts all day wastes more time than a simple phone call.

#41 6 years ago

I'm email only, unless someone is driving to my house and is lost somehow.

If i'm selling, probably most everything has already been stated in ad. Likely I don't want to talk to you. If I'm buying its because its a deal and I know there's a bunch of shit not disclosed that's wrong with it and more on top of that, so talking with the seller is not important either. Give me the address and a time to pick up.

#42 6 years ago

Texting is fine to start but I won't buy or sell a game until we actually talk. I've canceled deals after talking. I need to hear that your a relatively normal person.

#43 6 years ago

I like Odins style, my future deals may be negotiated via carrier pigeon.

#44 6 years ago

Call first and if there is no response I'll send a text.
    (Yes I know there is such thing as voicemail but no one looks at that shit anymore)

#45 6 years ago

I much prefer a call over texting. I have a cell phone, but it's just a little flip phone with a tiny screen, and I have to use the number buttons to select letters so it takes me forever to type one sentence. Plus I get charged 25 cents for every text I send. Email is fine as long as I happen to be at home in front of my desktop computer.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Funny you should say that but at 55 I still feel very young.

55? I thought you were 95. 55 is young now.

#47 6 years ago

Pretty split results here...

#48 6 years ago

Like others, a text is ok to say - hi, I'm interested. In my text I'll ask the guy to call me at their convenience but if I'm going to be spending a grand or potentially thousands on *anything* I want to speak with the person. If they sound sketchy, can't answer basic questions on the fly etc. and I get an uneasy feeling, I just move on.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from finman2000:

I state up front in my posting that texts will not be responded to, phone calls only. Eliminates tire kickers and scammers completely.

I do this too. It is way to easy to send a non-value-add text that doesn't move the sales process along via text. "Hey, I'm interested in your crap, is it still available?" ... "Yes..." No time for this, call me, ask questions, make appt.

Text is great to send an address or respond, "I'm on my way, don't sell it while I'm driving over..." or a simple follow up, "forgot to ask, any wear on the sanctum?"

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Funny you should say that but at 55 I still feel very young. May have something to do with the fact that I am not burdened with any mobile device.

I use to sing along with Roger Daltrey singing "My Generation", especially that part about dying "before I get old". That was then. I didn't die and I feel like I"m sitting on top of the world. Now, I'm 65 and you are just a punk kid

I don't know what 65 is supposed to feel like, but I don't feel too much different than when I was 30.

Just like this song: I'm feeling good !!!!

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phone-calls-vs-textemail-when-selling-or-buying?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.