Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by PNBLWZD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

So I just got back from a business trip to LV and I finally managed to make some time to visit the PHOF. I made two trips and played my a$$ off for about 3 hours each visit. I saw machines that I have never had the opportunity to play in the wild. Even titles that a lot of pinsiders may take for granted like SS, TOM, TOTAN, TRON LE and so on.

The place was sort of rough; not what I was expecting at all. More of an old arcade than a "hall of fame". The broken down machines pushed into the corner and the amount of errors and damage on some of the games was a bit surprising. I could not beleive their new TRON LE had no protectors on it and was already showing outhole and PF wear. What a sin

On the good side, I loved playing games like CC for the very first time and I really fell in love with SS. I've never even considered owning this game and I just had to add it to my wishlist after playing it.

Even the EMs and early SS games were a lot of fun. I felt like I was taking a trip through pinball history, and getting to play ultra-rare pins like the prototype Williams Pinball Circus was a rare treat.

Those folks in LV dont know how lucky they are. A must-see for any lover of pinball!

#2 12 years ago

Thanks for the review. I must say i am a bit surprised. I have always heard the the machines at the PHOF were kept in impeccable shape.

They do run oin a limited non profit budget though. At least they are still running.

I plan to visit when i hit Vegas in May

#3 12 years ago

Part of the issue is probably man-power.. those are a LOT of machines to maintain. I have troubles keeping up with 8 games, I can't imagine having that many games to take care of (though I'm sure he has a bit of help).

#4 12 years ago

I think part of the problem is most of the work is done by Tim and Tim alone. As I understand it. I'm not covering for him but it is a hell of a lot of work to maintain all those machines.

#5 12 years ago

Was at PHOF in September and the machines were not in impeccable shape. There were machines broken and turned off and machines with problems and limping along (GNR, Stargate, TZ, etc) That said when I told their tech about the machines with problems, he got to them and fixed them in the hours I was there. Some machines have noticeable wear and some machines are broke but I enjoyed myself there (the wife not so much). I am grateful they are there and I will go there again when in the area.

#6 12 years ago

The PHOF is definitely not a museum so don't expect to see any collector quality pins. It is a players haven and you will probably have the opportunity to play a lot of pins you never have before. I head over there about once a month after i have saved up some quarters. The lineup is always changing. I think the PHOF currently holds around 300 pins, but the owner has over a 1000 pins in his collection (I could be wrong though...that is just what i recall).

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from mikehay1:

Was at PHOF in September and the machines were not in impeccable shape.

As they aren't in his former Arcade in my town. Kicking it old School I guess!

#8 12 years ago

Tim donated 400K to the salvation army last year .. I think he should have donated 300K and put a 100k into up keep .

Jim

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Tim donated 400K to the salvation army last year .. I think he should have donated 300K and put a 100k into up keep .
    Jim

Well there is something to be said for that. Regardless there are machines there that you may never get to play.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Jim

That and not have games over at the Riviera too, when he can't keep up with one place.

LTG

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisS:

I think part of the problem is most of the work is done by Tim and Tim alone.

I've seen images of Tim, but none of the people I saw working there looked anything like him so I'm guessing he has some help/volunteers.

Rough or not, I'm so glad a place like this exists. I went Sunday and then again on Tuesday. Some games that were down on the weekend had been repaired by the time I returned. Almost all had a credit dot, but most were playable. MM was the only real dissapointmant as the drawbridge was messed up (but luckily I can play this at home).

When TOM had a trapped ball due to a piece of debris, the gentleman on duty gave me 5 free credits... probably by accident
    Lots of kids and families on the Sunday. The guy running the place was really good about making sure nobody got hosed with any game that wasn't behaving as it should.

I'm almost glad it was more like an arcade than a musem.

#12 12 years ago

I've never been, but i'm thankful such a place exists. If some of the machines don't function 100% i can overlook that.

#13 12 years ago

I have been to PHOF several times. Everytime I've been, there are no more than two volunteers (Including Tim). Usually that place is packed with visitors. Given they have to fix machines and deal with visitors I think they do well.

I really enjoy going to PHOF and I hope Tim is kind enough to keep this place open for a long time.

#14 12 years ago

agreed, not in great shape, always the same each of my multiple visits. but great variety and an asset for pinballers.

#15 12 years ago

I have a friend that just moved there. He just started volunteering there. He had the largest private collection here. He said they alow volunteers there but they have not let him start working ont he pins yet. He really wanted to spend time and help out since he just retired. His name it Tim as well.

#16 12 years ago

I've been there on three different occasions, and I had blast each time. Sure, some of the pins may not be in great shape, but overall it's still an amazingly cool place. Anybody that can provide a place like this for the pinball community while simultaneously raising a ton of money to charity is A-OK in my book.

#17 12 years ago

I been there 3 times in last 2 years! Its the reason we go to Vegas! I like how its not on the strip, not fancy or any flashy lights outside the place! I have no problem with the looks of it inside, were playing the machines not staring at the walls, remember its non-profit place! It also keeps the "Riff-Raff" out as well!

#18 12 years ago

Even if you had a few full time techs, there would always be some games broken.

As a teen I worked in an arcade wrenching on pins and something was always breaking or blowing up.

We use to make a once a week trip to the big Bally/Williams outlet to pick up parts (ramps or other unique pieces),and of course play the new games on display.

Games broke all the time when they were brand new, put another 15-40 years on them and they are even less reliable; plastics more brittle...

#19 12 years ago

I'll be going there in September for my 21st.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

I plan to visit when i hit Vegas in May

I'm going there in mid-may, want to meetup?

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

Thanks for the review. I must say i am a bit surprised. I have always heard the the machines at the PHOF were kept in impeccable shape.

Where did you hear that?

I think they do their best, but these are heavily played pins, far from being in "impeccable shape".

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Anim8ormatt said:I plan to visit when i hit Vegas in May
    I'm going there in mid-may, want to meetup?

I'll be there May25th.

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

but overall it's still an amazingly cool place. Anybody that can provide a place like this for the pinball community while simultaneously raising a ton of money to charity is A-OK in my book.

+ A MILLION!!! We are very lucky to have PHOF and a Huge Thank You!! To Tim Arnold.I can't believe that any Pinhead would complain about the condition of any game there.These Pins are played on a daily basis and were else are you going to go to play all these Pins if we didn't have PHOF.

#24 12 years ago

Its a cool place but definitely not a "hall of fame".I was disappointed in the place as well. Came from NY and couldn't even buy a t-shirt.Silverball Museum and Pacific Pinball Museum are doing the "hall of fame"thing better than PHOF in Vegas.It's just an arcade complete with crane games and change machines.I still will go every time I'm in Vegas cause its so rare to see an arcade never mind one with pinball machines in it!!Still wish the place lived up to its name though.Regretfully,Scott

#25 12 years ago

It's more quanitity not quality, but very cool none the less to have such a place open to the public. I've heard and seen Tim does most of the work himself, but there are some volunteers.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phof-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.