(Topic ID: 353603)

PHOF Makes Fox News

By GPS

4 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2800 (resized).png
    #1 4 months ago

Hello All

Fox News on my phone had a story today on the PHOF in Las Vegas. Very complimentary!!

G

IMG_2800 (resized).pngIMG_2800 (resized).png
    #2 4 months ago

Can you provide the link to the Fox news story?

#4 4 months ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Fox News on my phone had a story today on the PHOF in Las Vegas.

The headline about the beating confused me for a second.

Found the PHOF article: https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/pinball-hall-fame-offers-25-cent-family-fun-las-vegas-strip-donated-charity

#5 4 months ago

Me too. For a second I thought Tim had fully snapped and beaten the crap out of some kid who was not following his house rules

#6 4 months ago

I figured it was a "crisis at the border!" story.

Turns out it was a lovely piece about the PBHOF, without any beatings or violence to speak of!

#7 4 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I figured it was a "crisis at the border!" story.
    Turns out it was a lovely piece about the PBHOF, without any beatings or violence to speak of!

They clearly haven't seen the beating its taken on pinside.

#8 4 months ago

From the article:

Pinball operators were "slimy crews of tinhorns, well-dressed and living in luxury on penny thievery," New York City Mayor Fiorello La Guardia raged, according to Smithsonian Magazine.

Gee, I never have been called "well-dressed" before! I guess I escaped that moniker as my machines are on free play.

#9 4 months ago

Hmm, I searched but didn't come up with this thread before I started a new one (closed now). Sorry for the duplicate.

#10 4 months ago
    Quoted from Nintegageo:

They clearly haven't seen the beating its taken on pinside.

#11 4 months ago

Here is a detailed explanation of where the money went.

Am getting the books ready to do a final for CY 23 and I thought I would send along pro forma results of our charitable giving. I have excluded one name from the list on request of the person who sponsored the gift and also did not include any gifts of socks, underwear, toiletries and soap that we regularly drop off at Adult Rehab as these items are paid for by credit card and NOT included in the bank statements. A more complete itemization will be included in our tax return that will be filed in the coming months. I have also included one gift from 10-22 that was not included in the last giving total.

Please keep in mind that coming out of a Covid shutdown and almost failing to complete the building, our financial position was very weak. I had to drain completely our changer float while we were shut down for 12 weeks and we also liquidated our insurance reserve. Since then, we have rebuilt our changer float to more than prior levels because we have gone from 6 change machines only in the front to 9 machines spread from front to back to make it easy for the customers to spend. Our insurance reserve is now at 90 percent of normal and, is for the first time in recent memory, is paying a meaningful amount of interest amounting to thousands of dollars a month. The totals below are IN ADDITION to the money we used to refill our normal reserves.

There is also one "gift" that will not be listed on our 990, but will be listed here, as we never received and then paid out this money. As part of a settlement of a judgement against COLLIERS, a national Real Estate Brokerage, we allowed them to take $273,000 that they were ordered by the court to pay us and donate it in their name, on their check, to one of our charitable partners. To be clear - WE WON, THEY OWED US! We get the win in the Karma column, but they get to save face and bury a serious mistake they made under the disguise of a charitable contribution.

Just after the amounts below are 2 codes:
    Item specific capital grant (ISCG)- Money is given ONLY for towards a depreciable real of personal property item and cannot be spent on anything else.
    Unrestricted cash grant (UCG) - We give, they spend. No strings attached.

Mid Michigan Lapidary and Mineral Society -
    $1000 10-26-22
    $25,000 3-28-23
    $30,000 2-13-24 (UCG)

This is given in the name of Lyle, AKA, "Skippy", who spends 3 months every year out in Vegas because Northern Michigan is WAY COLD all winter! He spends his days here doing the highest level of repairs 8 hours a day. TO BE CLEAR! We do NOT pay him. There is NO tangible benefit to him beyond knowing that ALL this money is going to sponsor several permanent scholarships at Michigan State University that will train the next generation of "Rock Makers" ( A Bally -Ted Zale game!)

Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Campus (ARC) -
    $250,000 1-26-23 (ISGC)
    $1500 6-2-23 (UCG)
    $1500 6-22-23 (UGC)
    $200 8-4-23 (UGC)
    $300,000 12-11-23 (ISGC)

This is one of the things that we are all most proud of. Addiction is a HUGE problem here in Party town USA. This program is in my opinion THE FINEST REHAB PROGRAM IN THE WORLD! Unlike the 10-days-on-a-cot-while-we-bill-your-insurance-company programs, this is an intensive, difficult, LIVE-IN facility that spends 6 months AT NO COST TO ANYONE, PRIVATE OR PUBLIC, getting to the reasons WHY a person is addicted, and giving them the skills and tools they need to stay clean after they graduate. I see the effects of addiction every day on the Strip, but I know that we have done our part to solve this problem in the one way that counts in a Capitalistic society...WITH DEAD PRESIDENTS - lots of dead President! 550,000 of this money will be used to purchase a transitional living house for those who graduate from the live-in program , but might feel they need a place with some structure and enforced sobriety before they re-enter the "real world". This is a turnkey house that is up and licensed by the State and County, so there will be no battle with the neighbors, zoning, or Building Dept. issues. Clients living there will have a full-time live-in manager that will require piss-tests, curfew, and PAYMENT OF RENT. This will amount to a monthly profit to the ARC of about 5000 dollars a month in perpetuity, , since we paid for the WHOLE amount of $550,000. No mortgage, No property taxes, just 12 people on their way to a better future.

Salvation Army Family Services Building Fund -
    $250,000 2-23-23
    $273,000 2-27-23 (Colliers payment) (ISCG)

This was the last donation that they needed to break ground on a new four-million-dollar Family Services Building next to their Assisted Living Facility in North Las Vegas. For years there has been a concentration of homeless services in the "Corridor of Hope" and the city has been trying to move some of these services to areas farther out to better serve local talent and lessen the effect on the area just North of Downtown. Disclaimer: The LVPCC does not in any way endorse the idea that Bob Hope was funny. Why they re-named Bumtown after him is beyond us.

Emergency Aid of Boulder City -
    $15,000 7-11-23
    $10,000 12-22-23 (UCG)

Olaf, the guy who make Zoltar machines in Boulder City, just over the hill and down the Holler from Las Vegas and I had a Scandahoovian "Cheap-off", trying to see who would blink first on a discount batch of Zoltar tickets for the machine we have at the PHOF. I just couldn't pay another Norwegian RETAIL, so I suggested we would make a big contribution to the local aid society and that got the job done! We have made contributions to this group before, and they have for years had ZERO overhead, no labor, no occupancy expense! Several of the people running it got too old, and they just hired their first part-time person to man the city owned building they operate out of, so it fits really well into our "Low-rent" style here at the LVPCC!

Eau Claire Humane Society -
    $2000 8-4-23 (USG)

Fred Flintstone, who runs our tournaments and helps out in the Gift Shop, where you can get you panties-in-a-bunch, grew up there and he wanted to help them.

White Mountain Community Association Camp Fund -
    $500 (UCG)

Matt Mancini was here for a week and we sent him back with a check!

Refuge for Women -

$50,000 12-21-23 (USG)

A local shelter for women that Beth and Charlotte wanted to help.

Oak Clinic - Beth's brother was greatly helped by this place and she wanted to show her appreciation. Again, no Quid-pro-quo. The help for her brother was years ago.

$7500 (UCG)

Gift made anonymously
    $3000

So that puts our total for this giving cycle at $1,192,200. Or 4,768,800 quarters. If you took these quarters and put them in 500 Dollar bags, at 2.5 inches thick each bag, you would have a stack of quarter bags 497 feet high. The Mandalay Bay Resort across the street from us is only 480 feet high! The weight of a quarter is .02 Oz., so all those quarters would weigh 5961 pounds, almost 3 tons! That equals 496 pounds of Nickel, and 5465 pounds of Copper!

In closing, I would like to comment on some of our "critics", sitting on their ass in an easy chair ripping us a new asshole on the internet.
    What have YOU done to help your community lately? Just what I thought! BUPKIS!

Yes, I will admit, we have a variety of issues here at the PHOF that make our product less than it could be if we were a smaller, lower volume enterprise.
    One of the reasons we have succeeded where many others have failed is because we are DEAD ASS serious about the bottom line.
    I would also point out that the vast majority of our customers are NOT collectors, fan-boys, or tournament players. We are aimed squarely at the MASS MARKET, those who hold a slightly lower standard of what they consider fun. Time and time again the public has voted with their pocket books that they want lower priced services with a slightly lower quality. When was the last time you got gas at a FULL SERVICE STATION? Why are there low-priced fast-food places on every street corner and high-end restaurants are shuttering every day? Because America wants BIG PLATES of CHEAP food!

We are working hard and spending big to solve some of the product quality issues here, but we will NOT stop being as profitable as we can possibly be just to make sure that a small slice of the market gets a Boo-teek experience. If that is what you want, I know that is what I wanted when I was a serious player, I cannot recommend enough a visit to Vintage Flipper World in Ann Arbor. It is a sight to behold and a joy to play ! Do this NOW, while you still can! The only thing keeping the wonderful place going is Clay and his crew. Someday , I predict, it will be gone. The economic are just not there.

RIght now, I am going back to work, fixing games and selling TONS OF FUN FOR NOT MUCH MON!

Tim

#12 4 months ago

LOL

#13 4 months ago

Always enjoy your posts tim! Thanks for everything.

#14 4 months ago

Incredible the amount of giving.

Thank you Tim and the PHOF! Amazing work.

#15 4 months ago

I've been to the phof many times in many locations. I've supported it from the beginning by buying the this old pinball videos. Such great knowledge that I use to this day when working on any game. Haven't been fortunate enough to catch Tim at the location when I've been in town. ☹️

#16 4 months ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

Here is a detailed explanation of where the money went.
    Am getting the books ready to do a final for CY 23 and I thought I would send along pro forma results of our charitable giving. I have excluded one name from the list on request of the person who sponsored the gift and also did not include any gifts of socks, underwear, toiletries and soap that we regularly drop off at Adult Rehab as these items are paid for by credit card and NOT included in the bank statements. A more complete itemization will be included in our tax return that will be filed in the coming months. I have also included one gift from 10-22 that was not included in the last giving total.
    Please keep in mind that coming out of a Covid shutdown and almost failing to complete the building, our financial position was very weak. I had to drain completely our changer float while we were shut down for 12 weeks and we also liquidated our insurance reserve. Since then, we have rebuilt our changer float to more than prior levels because we have gone from 6 change machines only in the front to 9 machines spread from front to back to make it easy for the customers to spend. Our insurance reserve is now at 90 percent of normal and, is for the first time in recent memory, is paying a meaningful amount of interest amounting to thousands of dollars a month. The totals below are IN ADDITION to the money we used to refill our normal reserves.
    There is also one "gift" that will not be listed on our 990, but will be listed here, as we never received and then paid out this money. As part of a settlement of a judgement against COLLIERS, a national Real Estate Brokerage, we allowed them to take $273,000 that they were ordered by the court to pay us and donate it in their name, on their check, to one of our charitable partners. To be clear - WE WON, THEY OWED US! We get the win in the Karma column, but they get to save face and bury a serious mistake they made under the disguise of a charitable contribution.
    Just after the amounts below are 2 codes:
    Item specific capital grant (ISCG)- Money is given ONLY for towards a depreciable real of personal property item and cannot be spent on anything else.
    Unrestricted cash grant (UCG) - We give, they spend. No strings attached.
    Mid Michigan Lapidary and Mineral Society -
    $1000 10-26-22
    $25,000 3-28-23
    $30,000 2-13-24 (UCG)
    This is given in the name of Lyle, AKA, "Skippy", who spends 3 months every year out in Vegas because Northern Michigan is WAY COLD all winter! He spends his days here doing the highest level of repairs 8 hours a day. TO BE CLEAR! We do NOT pay him. There is NO tangible benefit to him beyond knowing that ALL this money is going to sponsor several permanent scholarships at Michigan State University that will train the next generation of "Rock Makers" ( A Bally -Ted Zale game!)
    Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Campus (ARC) -
    $250,000 1-26-23 (ISGC)
    $1500 6-2-23 (UCG)
    $1500 6-22-23 (UGC)
    $200 8-4-23 (UGC)
    $300,000 12-11-23 (ISGC)
    This is one of the things that we are all most proud of. Addiction is a HUGE problem here in Party town USA. This program is in my opinion THE FINEST REHAB PROGRAM IN THE WORLD! Unlike the 10-days-on-a-cot-while-we-bill-your-insurance-company programs, this is an intensive, difficult, LIVE-IN facility that spends 6 months AT NO COST TO ANYONE, PRIVATE OR PUBLIC, getting to the reasons WHY a person is addicted, and giving them the skills and tools they need to stay clean after they graduate. I see the effects of addiction every day on the Strip, but I know that we have done our part to solve this problem in the one way that counts in a Capitalistic society...WITH DEAD PRESIDENTS - lots of dead President! 550,000 of this money will be used to purchase a transitional living house for those who graduate from the live-in program , but might feel they need a place with some structure and enforced sobriety before they re-enter the "real world". This is a turnkey house that is up and licensed by the State and County, so there will be no battle with the neighbors, zoning, or Building Dept. issues. Clients living there will have a full-time live-in manager that will require piss-tests, curfew, and PAYMENT OF RENT. This will amount to a monthly profit to the ARC of about 5000 dollars a month in perpetuity, , since we paid for the WHOLE amount of $550,000. No mortgage, No property taxes, just 12 people on their way to a better future.
    Salvation Army Family Services Building Fund -
    $250,000 2-23-23
    $273,000 2-27-23 (Colliers payment) (ISCG)
    This was the last donation that they needed to break ground on a new four-million-dollar Family Services Building next to their Assisted Living Facility in North Las Vegas. For years there has been a concentration of homeless services in the "Corridor of Hope" and the city has been trying to move some of these services to areas farther out to better serve local talent and lessen the effect on the area just North of Downtown. Disclaimer: The LVPCC does not in any way endorse the idea that Bob Hope was funny. Why they re-named Bumtown after him is beyond us.
    Emergency Aid of Boulder City -
    $15,000 7-11-23
    $10,000 12-22-23 (UCG)
    Olaf, the guy who make Zoltar machines in Boulder City, just over the hill and down the Holler from Las Vegas and I had a Scandahoovian "Cheap-off", trying to see who would blink first on a discount batch of Zoltar tickets for the machine we have at the PHOF. I just couldn't pay another Norwegian RETAIL, so I suggested we would make a big contribution to the local aid society and that got the job done! We have made contributions to this group before, and they have for years had ZERO overhead, no labor, no occupancy expense! Several of the people running it got too old, and they just hired their first part-time person to man the city owned building they operate out of, so it fits really well into our "Low-rent" style here at the LVPCC!
    Eau Claire Humane Society -
    $2000 8-4-23 (USG)
    Fred Flintstone, who runs our tournaments and helps out in the Gift Shop, where you can get you panties-in-a-bunch, grew up there and he wanted to help them.
    White Mountain Community Association Camp Fund -
    $500 (UCG)
    Matt Mancini was here for a week and we sent him back with a check!
    Refuge for Women -
    $50,000 12-21-23 (USG)
    A local shelter for women that Beth and Charlotte wanted to help.
    Oak Clinic - Beth's brother was greatly helped by this place and she wanted to show her appreciation. Again, no Quid-pro-quo. The help for her brother was years ago.
    $7500 (UCG)
    Gift made anonymously
    $3000
    So that puts our total for this giving cycle at $1,192,200. Or 4,768,800 quarters. If you took these quarters and put them in 500 Dollar bags, at 2.5 inches thick each bag, you would have a stack of quarter bags 497 feet high. The Mandalay Bay Resort across the street from us is only 480 feet high! The weight of a quarter is .02 Oz., so all those quarters would weigh 5961 pounds, almost 3 tons! That equals 496 pounds of Nickel, and 5465 pounds of Copper!
    In closing, I would like to comment on some of our "critics", sitting on their ass in an easy chair ripping us a new asshole on the internet.
    What have YOU done to help your community lately? Just what I thought! BUPKIS!
    Yes, I will admit, we have a variety of issues here at the PHOF that make our product less than it could be if we were a smaller, lower volume enterprise.
    One of the reasons we have succeeded where many others have failed is because we are DEAD ASS serious about the bottom line.
    I would also point out that the vast majority of our customers are NOT collectors, fan-boys, or tournament players. We are aimed squarely at the MASS MARKET, those who hold a slightly lower standard of what they consider fun. Time and time again the public has voted with their pocket books that they want lower priced services with a slightly lower quality. When was the last time you got gas at a FULL SERVICE STATION? Why are there low-priced fast-food places on every street corner and high-end restaurants are shuttering every day? Because America wants BIG PLATES of CHEAP food!
    We are working hard and spending big to solve some of the product quality issues here, but we will NOT stop being as profitable as we can possibly be just to make sure that a small slice of the market gets a Boo-teek experience. If that is what you want, I know that is what I wanted when I was a serious player, I cannot recommend enough a visit to Vintage Flipper World in Ann Arbor. It is a sight to behold and a joy to play ! Do this NOW, while you still can! The only thing keeping the wonderful place going is Clay and his crew. Someday , I predict, it will be gone. The economic are just not there.
    RIght now, I am going back to work, fixing games and selling TONS OF FUN FOR NOT MUCH MON!
    Tim

Problem is that you’re cheating people when they put quarters into your games that don’t work properly. Just because they're too ill informed to know better doesn’t make it right, and shit playing games hurt the popularity of pinball in the long run. I personally don’t consider Salvation Army anything other than a con organization.

#17 4 months ago
    Quoted from jbovenzi:

From the article:
    Pinball operators were "slimy crews of tinhorns, well-dressed and living in luxury on penny thievery," New York City Mayor Fiorello La Guardia raged, according to Smithsonian Magazine.
    Gee, I never have been called "well-dressed" before! I guess I escaped that moniker as my machines are on free play.

Tinhorns and penny thievery

#18 4 months ago

I appreciate the place and it’s probably the best place to go to in LV to have a great time without spending a lot of money. I could probably play pinball all day for $20 or lose it at a blackjack table in 10 minutes.

1 month later
    #19 80 days ago

I headed down there the other day for the first time. I’m not sure what to make of it yet. I’m pretty new to pinball so I definitely wouldn’t consider myself someone looking for a boutique experience. I was pretty excited to try some of the classic pinball games but there were very few that were running. I would estimate about 90% of the EM machines were dark. Near the front there were 2 that had the lights on so we sunk a few quarters into them and… nothing happened. ‍♂️ So we gave up on those and moved on to try some solid state machines. Quite a few of those were broken as well. ‍♂️ There were 2 machines I was really interested in trying that were listed on their site as being there, medieval madness and attack from mars. I couldn’t find either of them.

At the end of the day I would estimate that around half of the machines there are broken. Of the ones that were working, quite a few still ate your quarters and didn’t generate credits. This seemed to be a combination of issues with stuck coin mechanisms and some where the coin completely disappeared but they just never registered a partial credit. The attendants on site didn’t seem to be doing much in the way of fixing machines. In the end, even with all of the quality issues I really did have a great time playing pinball though. There are quite a few games that were a lot of fun AND were working AND gave you credits when you dropped your quarters in!

They definitely have a lot of work needed fixing machines… not just the pinball machines but there were a bunch of really interesting machines that would be amazing to see come back to life. I love that they donate the proceeds to the Salvation Army. I have, over the years, developed a similar impression of the SA. Low overhead, no frills, just deliver services that are needed.

I would be interested in volunteering with the PHOF. I am pretty good electrically and mechanically but obviously would need to apprentice under someone that knows the machines. Does anyone know who you contact to find out about volunteering? Their website is pretty bare bones.

#20 80 days ago
    Quoted from FutureEcho:

I
    They definitely have a lot of work needed fixing machines… not just the pinball machines but there were a bunch of really interesting machines that would be amazing to see come back to life. I love that they donate the proceeds to the Salvation Army. I have, over the years, developed a similar impression of the SA. Low overhead, no frills, just deliver services that are needed.
    I would be interested in volunteering with the PHOF. I am pretty good electrically and mechanically but obviously would need to apprentice under someone that knows the machines. Does anyone know who you contact to find out about volunteering? Their website is pretty bare bones.

The best person to contact initially is Beth Kane, Operations Manager. [email protected]

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.