You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20130330_131022.jpg
13.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hi,
When I start a game the 2,3 & 4 bonus lights stay on all the time and so do the 2X & 3X lights, even when counting down the bonuses at the end of the ball...anyone else have this problem with their early Williams SS machine?

1 week later
#2 11 years ago

Anyone...anyone...

#3 11 years ago

LEDs or incandescent lamps?

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

LEDs or incandescent lamps?

Incandescent.

#5 11 years ago

Sounds like a lighting matrix issue to me. I'm sure vid1900 will chime in with a detailed breakdown of what you should check. Is this machine a new acquisition, do the lights function properly in attract mode, have you done any work on the machine prior to the lights getting stuck "on"?

#6 11 years ago

Phoenix does not have an attract mode.

#7 11 years ago

I'd check all the light bulb sockets on the ones staying "on", make sure there are no broken/damaged/burned/reversed diodes or socket ends touching a neighboring socket. If they check out visually then test the diodes with a DMM to verify they working properly.

#8 11 years ago

#9 11 years ago

I don't have a schematic in front of me, but check the diodes first. One bad diode can make for a lot of pinball mischief.

If they are all good, then on the driver board, follow back from connectors 2J5 & 2J7 and see what transistors drive them. Specifically, the Yellow wire with Red stripe (numbers 2,3,4), and the Yellow wire with the Black stripe (bonus 2x 3x).

#10 11 years ago

Thanks guys, I've had it for about a month and it's been like this since I got it but hasn't gotten worse. I haven't done any work on it. It still counts down bonuses properly.

Different balls in play have different bonus lights lit so it's probably something on the board...I know the bulbs are good but I'll check the sockets and those connectors and wires you mention.

#11 11 years ago

Seeing that only part of each row is stuck on makes me suspect bad diodes/connections or cross connected sockets. I got a cross connected socket on one of my machines after relamping and had a similar result. Either way like Vid said test those diodes and then work your way back. Somebody could have done work to the machine in the past and got a diode or two hooked up in reverse on the sockets which could be causing this issue. Let us know what you find.

#12 11 years ago

It's definitely had work done, I notice a lot of date stickers on boards that have been repaired/replaced so hopefully it's a cross connected socket...I'll let you know though.

#13 11 years ago

I couldn't see anything obvious, just reseated connectors and checked wiring and sockets...for some reason the lower middle bumper's not working now. I wasn't anywhere near the bumpers so I'm not sure what I've done.

#14 11 years ago

I wasn't anywhere near the bumpers so I'm not sure what I've done.

Is the 40 pin connector that attaches the driver board to the CPU bright white, or old and yellow?

This has to be replaced before the game will work reliably.

Otherwise you will be chasing your tail every few days with a new problem.

13.jpg13.jpg

#16 11 years ago

Here's the 40 pin connector, I thought it didn't look too bad, but what do I know...
Coil for centre bumper is good as is wiring and switches.

20130330_131022.jpg20130330_131022.jpg

#17 11 years ago

The connector looks old; if the solder on the back looks original, replace the female half.

Write the date on the new one so the next guy knows for sure it has been replaced.

Those connectors were causing trouble even back in the 80s, so by now they are total crap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phoenix-bonus-lights-stay-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.