8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by toxicwes
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

I represent a group that is seriously looking into putting together a California Extreme style (though smaller) arcade & pinball convention in Phoenix, AZ. We already host an annual con (KoL Con) and we've been consulting with Dann Frank, one of the administrators of the Wild West Pinball Convention that took place back in the 90s, so we've got the chops to make this happen.

Right now we're putting out feelers to see who'd be interested in attending, but more importantly who'd be willing to put up some of their pinball and/or arcade games for a weekend.

Thanks, and spread the word!

#2 8 years ago

I would be there in a flash. would bring a game too.

#3 8 years ago

You know Danno Frank was real tight with Steve Richie and Williams/Ballys back in the 90's. Bally donated a new AFM to a raffled winner, and the winner didnt even thank Danno for getting Bally pinballs to donate a pin. That pissed him off so and he was done, glad he's back.

#4 8 years ago

I have spoken to Dann a few times regarding an Expo in Arizona over the past couple of years when Mark & I were talking about putting one together. That is a Huge undertaking and with the small turn-out for the ACDC Launch is just doesnt look like it would work. I had already spoken to most of the major Parts Distributors as being Vendors at the show as well. The biggest hurdle is getting 150+ Games to the show (we dont have that many people willing to bring 150+ "Working" machines to a show) + Several Techs to work the Show for breakdowns, + Security, + a Committee to Run the Show, etc....

Believe me...we Tried!

Stu

#5 8 years ago

I think there are certainly a lot of people with enthusiasm for pinball in AZ and surrounding areas. The problem is getting those people to show up for events.

#6 8 years ago

I would go and always interested in an event like this. The best for me was Stu's which I had a blast and look forward to next year. I probabaly know at least few more people who would attend.

#7 8 years ago

I'd allow all 24 games to be brought if somebody else does the labor and fixes 'em up when they get back.

#8 8 years ago

I would be there as well.

#9 8 years ago

I'll bite, would provide 1-2 pins and 1-2 arcade games.

-Wes

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from pindevil:

I think there are certainly a lot of people with enthusiasm for pinball in AZ and surrounding areas. The problem is getting those people to show up for events.

I'd definitely show. This is a great idea!

#11 8 years ago

If I am not working I would be there and could bring a couple machines.

#12 8 years ago

Sounds awesome. I would bring a pin and bring glass for sale!

#15 8 years ago

I would go for sure and could probably bring 10 or so of my pins. That makes all of 14 of us. Figure we just need a few hundred/thousand more? No problem.

#16 8 years ago

Thanks a lot for the response, gang. I think we may have to do a pick-up and drop-off service just to get the numbers we'll need. I'm sure some of you are involved in the APPL? Could any of you get an idea of what other members might be willing to pitch in? Or pm me their info so that i might hit them up?

#17 8 years ago

I have a few people that would show on this, sounds fun!

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from FalkenZR:

I have a few people that would show on this, sounds fun!

Awesome! though I'm looking for numbers. any estimates?

#19 8 years ago

Would be cool! If it could be pulled off go for it!

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from toxicwes:

Awesome! though I'm looking for numbers. any estimates?

mesg sent

#21 8 years ago

We could do an APPL-organized pin-golf format tournament, or some other unique format.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

We could do an APPL-organized pin-golf format tournament, or some other unique format.

Tournaments are a definite possibility.

#23 8 years ago

I would be interested in attending.

#24 8 years ago

I could bring approx 10-15 games, Would love to have help loading and unloading them.

Banzai Run
    Farfalla
    Maybe my Defender if I ever finish it and then whatever dozen or so that I would have for sale at the time. Might also have my custom Zombie machine done by then.

I can also bring a couple of my kid sized 60 in 1 Galaga and Mrs Pacman machines.

I could help with teching, but would prefer to have my own booth and maybe offer some on the spot board repairs and parts sales.

I might also be able to convince my buddy Chris to bring some of his awesomely restored system 6 pins.

Kris Bliznick
    Firebird Pinball

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

I could bring approx 10-15 games, Would love to have help loading and unloading them.
    Banzai Run
    Farfalla
    Maybe my Defender if I ever finish it and then whatever dozen or so that I would have for sale at the time. Might also have my custom Zombie machine done by then.
    I can also bring a couple of my kid sized 60 in 1 Galaga and Mrs Pacman machines.
    I could help with teching, but would prefer to have my own booth and maybe offer some on the spot board repairs and parts sales.
    I might also be able to convince my buddy Chris to bring some of his awesomely restored system 6 pins.
    Kris Bliznick
    Firebird Pinball

Thanks Kris,
    I was just about to start calling local vendors. I'll keep you posted.

#26 8 years ago

As Stu stated earlier in the thread, we've been brainstorming on a Phoenix convention for a couple of years. I go to 3 or 4 shows out of state yearly, and have talked with organizers for other shows on what works, and what doesn't. The pick-up and drop off service for those willing to provide games is a must. Would probably need to budget for 4 or 5 U-haul trucks for the weekend, and need an extra non-public day at the venue for set-up.

The success of a show is largely game dependent, and a minimum of 150 games would be necessary. This is where I've stalled out on this project previously. I run a 32 member league here in town, and have talked to many members about the prospect of doing a show. Trouble is, many of the pins used in the league are highly restored collector pieces that the owners would be hesitant to let the general public knock around for a weekend. Our membership owns 300+ pins, but from talking to members about it, I doubt we could reach 100 games to dedicate to a show. Some say they are willing, but if you want to get serious about this, we need to start a list of game titles committed for the event and by whom.

Personally, I would love to see this happen. I'm sure the APPL members would be willing to volunteer to help out however they are needed.

Mark

#27 8 years ago

I'm sure some of us from so cal would be interested!
    I used to travel there sometimes twice a year for "The Pinball Show" and "Wild West Pinball Fest"!

Jim

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_APPL:

As Stu stated earlier in the thread, we've been brainstorming on a Phoenix convention for a couple of years. I go to 3 or 4 shows out of state yearly, and have talked with organizers for other shows on what works, and what doesn't. The pick-up and drop off service for those willing to provide games is a must. Would probably need to budget for 4 or 5 U-haul trucks for the weekend, and need an extra non-public day at the venue for set-up.
    The success of a show is largely game dependent, and a minimum of 150 games would be necessary. This is where I've stalled out on this project previously. I run a 32 member league here in town, and have talked to many members about the prospect of doing a show. Trouble is, many of the pins used in the league are highly restored collector pieces that the owners would be hesitant to let the general public knock around for a weekend. Our membership owns 300+ pins, but from talking to members about it, I doubt we could reach 100 games to dedicate to a show. Some say they are willing, but if you want to get serious about this, we need to start a list of game titles committed for the event and by whom.
    Personally, I would love to see this happen. I'm sure the APPL members would be willing to volunteer to help out however they are needed.
    Mark

Thanks for the tips! We're under no illusions about how difficult this is going to be. I agree that a delivery service will be necessary. likely there will also have to be some kind of repair service for damage incurred during the show. We discussed all the intricacies with Dann Frank and we know what we're up against. Like I said before, right now we're just trying to get a ballpark of how many games we can put together. Just after a few days of asking around we're creeping up on 100 machines (including arcade games) and I still have leads to follow up on.

I think there's a strong possibility that this could happen. Wish us luck! (and let us use your machines)

#29 8 years ago

It's all about advertising as well. The C & C event for AC/DC which I truly enjoyed and met some great people I did not find out about until looking here on this website one day. If it was not a current form I would have missed it and jumped on the opportunity to play the game since I know I would never have the opportunity again. I just came across this site, decided to finally join, and have enjoyed it and still looking for my first DMD game which most likely will be TFTC if I can find one in AZ. If needed go to the website http://www.pinballrebel.com/locator/index.php and post flyers at this local places where people play. I have been trying my best to update this site as I find games in AZ.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_APPL:

Mark

Hey Mark,
    I met Ben Baraldi at KoL Con (another convention we run) last weekend but I didn't get his contact info. Do you know if he's a pinsider?

#31 8 years ago

On that note I will be in town on the 8th and 9th. Anyone up for a beer and some games? I don't even know where to play. I'll be staying in Scottsdale at the Phoenician.

#32 8 years ago

I'm so down for this, Id be in and probably bring a pin

#33 8 years ago

PM Sent....

Stu

Quoted from Pinchroma:

On that note I will be in town on the 8th and 9th. Anyone up for a beer and some games? I don't even know where to play. I'll be staying in Scottsdale at the Phoenician.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Here is the best list I was able to find and update. If needed go to the website http://www.pinballrebel.com/locator/index.php to find local places where people play. I have been trying my best to update this site as I find games in AZ. Also, it appears you got a message from Stu which is a great guy and has something to surprise you with.

#35 8 years ago

I kinda heard a different story back then about the give away pinball. anyone remember the story??

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from toxicwes:

Hey Mark,
    I met Ben Baraldi at KoL Con (another convention we run) last weekend but I didn't get his contact info. Do you know if he's a pinsider?

Hey, yes I am, though kind of infrequently. I'll message you.

#37 8 years ago

How's the response looking so far, Toxicwes?

-Wes

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

How's the response looking so far, Toxicwes?
    -Wes

Right now we're at 162 games (including arcades). I don't think it will be an issue to reach our "unofficial pledge" goal of 200.

Time to start researching venues!

#39 8 years ago

I would also be interested, and I could bring a pin. I would really like to see this happen!

#40 8 years ago

I have known these folks for a while via minibosses involvement in Kingdom of Loathing conventions, and I will say they are a very capable bunch that I believe will make this a reality.

I can definitely commit to bringing a pin or two as well Wes. Also, tell Zack copperpot has a spyhunter for sale if he wants it, he's in AZ.

I assume you will also need volunteers to enforce pinball safety and whatever else, which I would love to be involved in as well.

-ben

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from monsterbaldy:

I have known these folks for a while via minibosses involvement in Kingdom of Loathing conventions, and I will say they are a very capable bunch that I believe will make this a reality.
    I can definitely commit to bringing a pin or two as well Wes. Also, tell Zack copperpot has a spyhunter for sale if he wants it, he's in AZ.
    I assume you will also need volunteers to enforce pinball safety and whatever else, which I would love to be involved in as well.
    -ben

Are you talking about the local AZ band "The Minibosses" who play mostly Nintendo games songs. If so I always wanted to see them and maybe they can play at the event, just a thought.

#42 8 years ago

HOLY SHIT! Ben, you are a founding member (bass player) of the mini-bosses! I did not know that and wish you would have told me.

Kris

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from monsterbaldy:

-ben

Thanks for the support, Ben! And I let Zack know about the Spyhunter.

#44 8 years ago

There are more Pin-heads in the Phoenix music scene than I expected. Crazy

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

HOLY SHIT! Ben, you are a founding member (bass player) of the mini-bosses! I did not know that and wish you would have told me.
    Kris

Holy shit! I loves me some Minibosses. Seen 'em live a couple of times and have the Brass album. Which Pinsider is in the band?

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from 30FathomDave:

Holy shit! I loves me some Minibosses. Seen 'em live a couple of times and have the Brass album. Which Pinsider is in the band?

Ben is Monster Baldy

#47 8 years ago

I am not currently in the band, I have been on indefinite hiatus since having a second kid, but their current lineup of guys is flat out great, and I still guest play once in a blue moon. In fact, the 250th show is October 6th at Yucca tap room, should be really fun.

And yes, I'd say there is an excellent chance minibosses would be interested in playing at this if it makes sense (but obviously would have to be confirmed with the currently active members once we have a date).

-ben

#48 8 years ago

If this happens, I might even be interested in going. I've got friends in PHX that I'd love another excuse to go see!

3 weeks later
    #49 8 years ago

Post edited by toxicwes : no longer relevant

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

Kris Bliznick
    Firebird Pinball

I would definitely bring a least a few of them!

chris

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 50.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Flipper Room
    € 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D Tech. Pinball Parts
    $ 337.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 199.99
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    $ 19.99
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Various Other Swag
    JK Pinball
    $ 6.00
    $ 25.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    € 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 199.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 13.00
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside