(Topic ID: 57375)

Phoenix, AZ Pinball

By Shattered_One13

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I'm new to the forums and was just curious what the best place in AZ is to play ?? Just recently rediscovered my love for pinball and want to get down on some machines !! I read on here that castles and coasters was decent but the thread was from quite a while ago so I wanted to see if anyone had some up to date info. Also curious if there are any events or anything coming to Phoenix, I would love to bring my kids to play pins like I did when I was young, and see what the event scene is like. Thanks !!

#2 10 years ago

Welcome to the forum. I think there are quite a few Pinsiders in the Phoenix area and I'm sure they will welcome you also. Have plans on buying a pin?

#3 10 years ago

Definitely have plans, but not the funds I'm a tattoo artist out here and with summer months it gets kinda slow. Not to mention I recently sold my tattoo shop about 3 months ago so I'm still on the recovery from that. Have an add on craigslist to trade tattoo work for one but I'm not really holding my breath, just gotta start saving up some cash.

Can't wait to get one though, my old lady is already planning my death when I get it

#4 10 years ago

Would love a pinball-themed tattoo!!!!Need it pretty well-hidden, but love the idea!

#5 10 years ago

Hey Justin! Welcome. There are a LOT of pinball people in the valley. Castles and Coasters may not be as good as it used to be (only about 14 machines instead of the 30 or so that used to be there) but it's still the best arcade location outside of people's houses. They do a special M-Th that gets you 3 hours of unlimited play for $10. There are pinsider meetups a couple times a month (there's one tomorrow in Gilbert http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-get-together-in-gilbert-az-sun-721-from-6-9pm), and tons of other opportunities to play as you get to know some of the local collectors. What part of town are you in?

#6 10 years ago

Welcome, always glad to find AZ Pinheads.....

#7 10 years ago

Hi Justin,

Just got into the game myself! I went to Castles n Coasters a couple weeks ago, huge disappointment! I would rate only 5 out of the twelve as fully functional. It doesn't look like anyone is taking care of them. The Who Dunnit played the best. I was able to rack up 4 or 5 free games on The Getaway even though alot of the GI was out on the game. I went to play their RFM but the left flipper was shot and most of the GI was out i walked after my second ball. The Indiana Jones was crying to be taken out of there and be fixed up! If your close there are a few worth playing, but not worth a lengthy drive.

#8 10 years ago

Glad too see theres so many out here, I'm in north Phoenix around 19th and Union Hills. I would love to hit the meet up tomorrow but I have my oldest sons birthday to attend at jump street, I will definitely have to keep my eyes open for the next meet up. Sounds shitty about castles n coasters, that was the one place I was thinking might have some decent pins, but I guess when you have a bunch of 16 year olds taking care of an arcade, that stuff will happen. And Pinlawyer not too hard to hide tattoos, I have to hide them for people every day

#9 10 years ago

Hope you can hide the pin from your wife...LOL!

#10 10 years ago

Eh, I wont have to hide it, I'm just a night owl so she's worried I'll be up playing it all night Which she's probably right, gonna have to turn the sound off or something ... I'm already stuck on my damn playstation playing that Pinball Arcade game for hours a day, I can only imagine what happens when I get a machine in here...

#11 10 years ago

You can hook up a headphone jack and you're gtg. Good luck getting your first, and second, and third...

#12 10 years ago

Welcome, I am fairly new here, but love the pins. Hoping to buy soon, just waiting for the intersection of time/money/good machine to hit.

There are a few bars where there are machines, Scottsdale has a few, but just lost one last month with Dirty Drummer closing..

#13 10 years ago

Yea I'm in north Phoenix, My buddy mentioned that they used to have a Pirates of the Caribbean pin at Toso's bar around 23rd Ave and Union Hills but I'm not sure if it still there. I'm definitely gonna have to go check Other than that I know I'm gonna be surfing through bars all over the place now to try and find one. That could definitely be a bad combo, beer and pins haha !! I'm pretty sure I'd be closing the bar or going broke !! HAHA !! @Spitfiren8, believe me I can wait for my first, fifth, tenth, who knows I think I might need a bigger house with all the plans I have flying through my head..

Oh and does anyone have any experience with building a machine from scratch, I know its probably something that would take quite a bit of work time and money, but has anyone done it and would it be possible to make a decent pin ??

#14 10 years ago

Whoa... Slow down, building one from scratch? Damn i thought about re-theming my Laser War to a Logans Run and it seems too daunting too tackle, unless you are a great programmer id put that on the way-backburner!

Check out Pinballrebel.com to find places that have machines. There's a few Phoenix locations. If you're out in the west valley hit me up if you want to play.

#15 10 years ago

HAHA !! I always plan big, gives me something to shoot for, probably wont happen for a long time if at all. I'll have to look into that site, once I get one I'll be able to look more into what it takes to re-theme one and what not, I have a buddy who is an amazing electrical engineer so we would probably take it on together. I just want to design it, getting it to work electronically is a completely different story.. I think it would be a nice long term project that might never get finished but I like to tinker with stuff in my free time.. I'm constantly rebuilding and designing tattoo machines, and that would give me something else to do. First things first though, gotta get a pin

#16 10 years ago

If you decide to tackle it keep me posted! That would be way cool!

#17 10 years ago

Probably wont be a while, but if I ever do it, it will be posted everywhere !! HAHA !!

#18 10 years ago

Welcome Shattered_One13. Yes Castles and Coasters isn't perfect, and doesn't have half the pins it used to, but it is still the best commercial place to go play pins, and it is worth a bit of a drive for all the other classic games they have there besides pins as well.

For more pinball locations try pinballrebels locator at http://www.pinballrebel.com/locator/index.php
    There is also a smart phone app called Pinball Finder that might be helpful to you.
    For more information on the Arizona Pinball Players League go to http://www.pinballarizona.com/

Jake Danzig

#19 10 years ago

Sweet man !! Thanks for all the info, I'm gonna have to check those sites out !!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phoenix-az-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.