Topic poll

“Pharaoh or Black Knight?”

• Pharaoh 14 votes
    54%
  • Black Knight 12 votes
    46%

(26 votes)

#1 7 years ago

Thinking about buying a double playfield machine with an interesting theme and with great looking art. Which of the following is the better one?

Pharaoh or Black Knight?

#2 7 years ago

Solar Fire.

Pharaoh is a very underrated game though. I guess because it is only a 2 ball multiball whereas BK and SF are 3 ball.

Personally (and others will certainly disagree..) I rate them

Solar Fire
Pharaoh
BK
Jungle Lord

rd

#3 7 years ago

Pharaoh's theme is far supierior,but BK has a better lay out.

#4 7 years ago

Kudos for someone loving solar fire. When I was in college that was one of the few pins around to play and I loved it.

#5 7 years ago

I've got a BK and a JL. The BK got me into this stupid hobby and I wanted one since I was 13.

JL has way more going on it. Call it 'deeper'. lower drops like BK but more functions, upper drops are timed and have massive points, timed multiball/ball save, standups for playfield multiplier, timed roll through bonus multiplier, bagatelle to rest for a minute, hot chick on the bg.

Would love to find a nice solar fire and pharaoh.

#6 7 years ago

Of those 2...Pharaoh gameplay wise it has more variety...
Hubby and I differ slightly on our double level PF order...
I say it is Pharaoh, Solar Fire, Jungle Lord, Black Knight...He says Jungle Lord, Solar Fire, Pharaoh, Black Knight. He likes the art on BK but prefers gameplay on Pharaoh and prefers the game play on JL or SF over the other 2.

Don't get me wrong I love me some BK!! and need to get mine back up in my gameroom. It is the pin everyone remembers... It is just to me, the game play on well any of the other three has more variety than BK. BK is sort of a 1 shot game, if you get the upper PF lock shot down you keep hitting it till you get MB then when you loose MB hit said shot again. My Pharaoh is also not up ATM. I need a cab for it. I have the PF all done and ready but a prior owner decided it would be cool to sand all the art off the cab and stain it wood color. So I either have to re-stencil or find a cab with a shot PF. Also since I got my red JL up in my gameroom and got it playing good a few weeks ago, I have been playing it alot, and have changed my opinion on it a bit. JL is a tough game but there is alot going on and the more I play it the more I like it. Of the 4 JL may be moving up.

Phoebe

#7 7 years ago

Wiliams Jungle Lord, is as far as I can tell, has two modes of play.
One mode is to get the set up for multiball.
When this part of the game is set up the bottom drop targets
change function; it is very unique. The game allows you to change
strategy. Go for multiball or try to build up big bonus points.
P.S. Jungle Lord has a split second cameo in Prince's Purple Rain movie.

With Pharaoh, you have to use skill and timing. It is not a fast game.
With BK it is kind of a wham bam thank you mam kind of play.It has
great shots if you can make them.

Solar Fire takes the best of both games features, listed above, and came
up with a very good players game. I hated Solar Fire at the arcade
where I played it; the weak warn out flippers made it suck.

#8 7 years ago

I prefer Pharaoh over black Knight.
I think that Black Knight is booring.
Pharaoh has great rules. You can also make the game harder with the settings.
Just read pinballreviews review here (scroll down): http://www.pinballreviews.com/prev.htm

About Jungle lord: I hate the bagatelle. I like Solar Fire, but I think the score balance is bad. A great thing on SF is that you can stack a 3 ball multiball with 2x playfield scoring and try to hit the upper droptarget bank for 3x2x100k = 600k points.
Well that sound like a real challange, but if you hit the bank during single ball over and over again, you will score 600k a lot faster...!

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

BK is sort of a 1 shot game, if you get the upper PF lock shot down you keep hitting it till you get MB then when you loose MB hit said shot again.

Sounds like you need to enable the light lock shot. Changes the game completely

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Sounds like you need to enable the light lock shot. Changes the game completely

I've played lots of BK...I never knew there was a Light Lock shot? I looked in the instruction booklet and don't see it anywhere what is the shot?

Phoebe

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

I've played lots of BK...I never knew there was a Light Lock shot? I looked in the instruction booklet and don't see it anywhere what is the shot?
Phoebe

Adjustment 37 "multiball difficulty". Requires shooting the turnaround to light locks

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Adjustment 37 "multiball difficulty". Requires shooting the turnaround to light locks

Cool!! Thanks! Can't believe I never knew that...I see that setting in there. Now I really need to get my BK set back up so I can try it out!

Phoebe

#13 7 years ago

Pharaoh is waaay better

1 week later
#14 7 years ago

Owned both, Pharaoh over BK. Id pick solar fire over Pharaoh but I hate not having a little speech. Jungle lord I havent played so cant comment.

#15 7 years ago

Yup, completely changes the game. Makes you play both playfields. That, and the Steve Ritchie design, make it the best of the 4. But BK was my first game so I'm a little biased :^)

Ron...

Quoted from zacaj:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 52.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Tools
Pincoder Store

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 1,059.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pharaoh-vs-black-knight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.