• Latest reply 3 years ago by Mnbrian
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200405_131136380 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

My son just picked up a Williams Pharaoh. The background sounds work, but he is getting no speech. Do the speech rooms go bad often? What should we look at first? Thanks

#2 3 years ago

Manual is here if you don’t have one.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1778/Williams_1981_Pharaoh_Manual.pdf

Learn how to get into test mode, there is a series for sound and voice. Go through the test before you do anything else.

Disconnect and reconnect all the wires and cables between the sound board and the driver and power boards. Make sure you do both ends. Do them one at a time and make sure the connections look ok, not corroded or burnt. Pay close attention to the ribbon cable between the sound and voice boards. Reseat them solidly.

There is also a potentiometer on the Voice board move it around And set it at 1/2 way.

Run your sound test again. Let us know the results.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the pdf. BK Just tried everything you mentioned, and during the test I only get sounds and no speech at all. Thanks

#4 3 years ago

Please post a pic of your voice board.

Next step would be to grab a logic probe and start digging into the board itself. I don't think the roms would be a primary suspect, but I'm not a board expert.

#5 3 years ago

Here she is.

IMG_20200405_131136380 (resized).jpgIMG_20200405_131136380 (resized).jpg
#6 3 years ago

you are missing roms , contact me , i can help.

#7 3 years ago

Yep, missing those three little roms.

Easy and cheap fix thank goodness. Update us when you get them installed.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Mnbrian:

Here she is.[quoted image]

The speech board should be fully populated with ROMs - you need four! I would burn a set of four correct ROMs and install them. Then check and see where you are at.

#9 3 years ago

I do have all four speech ROMs, the picture was taken during inspection of the ROMs. If my ROMs are any good, who knows.

#10 3 years ago

also the sound rom must match the speech roms. ie it must be a pharaoh sound rom.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

also the sound rom must match the speech roms. ie it must be a pharaoh sound rom.

This is one thing I haven't checked. Only one of the four ROMs was labeled Pharaoh. The other three, nothing. Would I get any speech at all with only one rom installed at a time?

#12 3 years ago

Does your black knight work correctly?
You could take some photos so you don’t put them in the wrong spot, but I would try those pharaoh roms in the bk speech board , in the pharaoh. Easy swap.
I would think that help determine if it’s the ph speech board or the roms.. ?

#13 3 years ago

That's what my son was thinking, but I'm a little apprehensive about messing with a machine that works fine. Might open a can of worms, with my luck.

#14 3 years ago

I have no stake in these but, bought one and it was great fix

http://pinballpcb.com/products/replacement-system-6-7-9-speech-board/

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I have no stake in these but, bought one and it was great fix
http://pinballpcb.com/products/replacement-system-6-7-9-speech-board/

This is the route we are going, fingers crossed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 52.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pharaoh-no-speech?hl=mnbrian and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.