wpc-s CPU Board.jpg
sw.jpg
Switch Schematic.jpg
CPU Board.jpg
Opto Board.jpg
Solenoid Circuit.jpg
Williams_1994_The_Flintstones_English_Manual (1).jpg
Solenoid Wiring.jpg
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

This is for a WPC-S Flintstones game. I've posted a similar problem a while ago but this one is a little more specific. I've done all the reading and searching but haven't come up with anything quite the same as what I'm experiencing. Hopefully one of the more experienced guys can steer me in the right direction.

I have a couple of switches that appear to be shorted along the column wires. In fact I have two different sets of switches that are doing this. The thing that makes me think it not a column switch short is that both the switches are at the end of the column (last single wire going to them) and there is an opto board in both cases that when unplugged, the problem goes away. Mind you, the switch is apparently shorting with both opto boards in either case.

Let me drill down a bit to give a clearer picture. When I go into Switch Edge Test and activate the 26 switch in C2-R6, the opto switch 36 in C3-R6 also fire. The same is true for the 54 switch in C5-R4 where it triggers the 44 opto switch for a 4 bank target (letter "R"). Everything that I've researched indicates that I have a couple of column wires crossed. I've traced, cut ties, and examined the wires all the way back to no avail and therefore don't think that's actually the problem.

I think this is all indirectly related to Solenoid 3, the Top Diverter Post not working during game play any longer. It was working for a bit, started to work inconsistently and has now quit all together. It has the proper current and fires in the solenoid test. To help shed some light on the situation, I'll post the Switch Matrix and a few schematics.

I've also tested the transistors, bridges and diodes on the Driver Board. There was one under the heat sink that appeared suspect which I replaced.

Solenoid Wiring.jpgSolenoid Wiring.jpg Williams_1994_The_Flintstones_English_Manual (1).jpgWilliams_1994_The_Flintstones_English_Manual (1).jpg Solenoid Circuit.jpgSolenoid Circuit.jpg
#2 9 years ago

First, forget about the solenoid info for now. If you are failing switch test, you could electrically remove everything in the game related to the solenoids and it will still be a problem. Focus on the switch matrix alone.

It doesn't appear to fit the description for a column short or column to row short:
Column short to ground - any switch in column activates ALL switches in row.
Column short to row - shows switch at intersection of row and column as active all the time.

It most likely fits the description here:
Column shorted to another column - pressing any switch in either column will show that switch along with a switch in the column that is shorted on the row of the switch being closed

And, possibly this is relevant, since you mentioned in each case an opto is involved:

"If there are phantom switches, the first and easiest thing to try is to disconnect the power to the under-the-playfield optic board. When the power plug is disconnected (usually the plug nearest the row of diodes) from the optic board (you can do this with the game on), the LED soldered to the optic board will turn off. Now re-test the switches. If the problem has changed, there is a bad optic board! If the problem has not changed, plug the optic board back in and move on"
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wpc/index2.htm

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for replying wayout440.

Yes, I agree about the column-to-column...that's actually what I was getting at as well. Like you, I don't think that it's actually related to wires being crossed being that there are opto boards involved.

I'll ignore the solenoid for now...maybe that problem will go away once the switch problem is resolved.

I'm not sure how to test the opto board by disconnecting the power to it...there is only one large IDC connector with all the wires going into it. I guess I'll track down the 12V wire and pull it out of the connector. Really wish I had splurged on an IDC tool now.

#4 9 years ago

I was able to do a quick test over lunch. I did as you suggested, wayout440, and disconnected the 12V power to the opto board. I double-checked that switch 54 was still triggering switch 44 (4 bank opto board) before disconnecting the 12V wire. After disconnecting, switch 54 only triggers itself as it should.

I took the opto board off and visually inspected with a magnifying glass...looks fine. I put the DMM in Diode Mode and tested the diodes and resistors...they check out normal. When I have the 4 Bank Drop Target in test mode, all the switches show open and closed as they should. Okay....this means nothing to me at this point....any ideas?

#5 9 years ago

You've got a bad opto board. Most likely the LM339 on the board.

#6 9 years ago
Opto Board.jpgOpto Board.jpg
#7 9 years ago

Thing is, this opto board doesn't have a LM339. I've included the schematic for it above. Is it found elsewhere?

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from earflaps:

When I have the 4 Bank Drop Target in test mode, all the switches show open and closed as they should. Okay....this means nothing to me at this point....any ideas?

OK, just trying to get this straight. So....in test mode all the switches on the 4 bank work as they should but switch #44 still triggers #55, do I have this correct?

#9 9 years ago

Sorry for my dyslexia above where I meant switch 44 and not 55 as typed (my original post is correct). I hope I didn't confuse you by that? When pushed in Swtich Edge Mode, switch 54 triggers switch 44, which is part of the opto board....with no LM339 chip.

Further, I want to be clear that this was tested before removing the 12V wire from the opto board...it does nothing now. Again, since removing the 12V wire from the opto board, which switch 44 is part of, 54 no longer triggers switch 44 in test mode.

#10 9 years ago

Check the diodes on the board.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Check the diodes on the board.

I'm assuming you mean the CPU board?? I've checked the diodes on the opto board and they're fine.

#12 9 years ago

Sorry, the diodes on the opto board.

#13 9 years ago

Switch Schematic.jpgSwitch Schematic.jpgCPU Board.jpgCPU Board.jpg

#14 9 years ago

Didn't have a chance to do any further troubleshooting last night...had to build a logic probe...geesh. Guess I should have read the fine print before ordering it.

I thought I would post a couple of other pages in the manual. I'm about to dig into the board but thought I would see if there were any other ideas before I do?

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from earflaps:

Thing is, this opto board doesn't have a LM339. I've included the schematic for it above. Is it found elsewhere?

Yes, the LM339s are located on the CPU board. It wouldn't surprise me if the same LM339 serves both switches, and failure of this part could cause the symptom you are seeing.

#16 9 years ago

That's a big help, wayout440! I was just reading up more on logic circuits as I was pretty sure I'll be forced roll up my sleeves here. I think the logic probe is going to be key here....when I finish assembling it.

You don't know the exact location of the LM339 from what I've posted by chance? I'm still learning how to trace these schematics without having my head explode.

#17 9 years ago

For the sake of painting the whole picture, I've included the WPC-S Schematic for the CPU Board. I could be wrong, but it looks like I might want to replace the LS374SC chip at location U14. I'd have to steal one from another board until I'm able to order a few to have on hand. Correct me if I'm way off base.

// Error: Image 391220 not found //
#18 9 years ago
Quoted from earflaps:

You don't know the exact location of the LM339 from what I've posted by chance? I'm still learning how to trace these schematics without having my head explode.

Looks like they give you this info on the left side of the switch matrix chart - U18

sw.jpgsw.jpg
#19 9 years ago
Quoted from earflaps:

I could be wrong, but it looks like I might want to replace the LS374SC chip at location U14.

Why would you want to do that?

#20 9 years ago

Geez...it was right there in the Switch Matrix...forgot about that! I incorrectly followed J209-4 and 5 to U14...that's where I came up with U14.

Further, I posted the wrong Schematic! I posted WPC instead of WPC-S's CPU Board. Here it is for anyone who might be thoroughly confused by now....sorry about that.

wpc-s CPU Board.jpgwpc-s CPU Board.jpg
#21 9 years ago

I think terry b had you on the right path. You unplugged the opto board and the switch worked normally with no phantom switch. Had it been a chip the problem would have remained. It sounds like a shorted diode problem at this point anyway.

#22 9 years ago

I think I'll change out all the diodes under the playfield just for piece of mind.

I was making some progress with unplugging the connectors on the CPU Board and was about to test with the logic probe. That's when lightening struck. Was following the pinball repair guide when it said to unplug J210...not good. I should have double-checked but my DMD is out now...grrr. Power is correct at the connections so I'm going to have to do some research on that one before getting back to my switch problem....piss me off.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Karetaker:

It sounds like a shorted diode problem at this point anyway.

I have to disagree, I really don't think it fits the description according to the troubleshooting guide.
"If a switch diode does short closed, all switches in that particular column or row will exhibit strange behavior. If a switch diode goes permanently open, the switch will never register. Keep this in mind when diagnosing switch matrix problems."

All switches in a row or column are not exhibing strange behavior - just one.

#24 9 years ago

Replace U18. Preferably with a socket as well. Most IC's I replace I use a socket so I don't have to desolder the part next time.

#25 9 years ago

Got the DMD fixed...just seemed to be a bad connection from the transformer. Carrying on now...

After finding a really good summary of all the common switch problems by PinMike here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-column-not-working I tend to agree that's it's not on the Playfield. Remember, the switch problem goes away on both rows when each opto is unplugged or the power is taken away to that board. I have visually inspected, cut ties and ran my fingers down each chain in question...I can't find anything.

I was going to steal an LS374SC and LM339 chip from another board but I think I'll exercise some patience and wait until these chips show up next week. Forgot to order the sockets....grrrr.

Out of curiosity, I notice that a couple switch's, 26 & 36 (Row 6) from J207 also connect to J212-2&3 along with 44 & 54 (Row 4) J209 connecting to J212-8. These are all the switches that are giving me issues. That just confuses the heck out of me. What the heck is J212 used for?

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

Replace U18. Preferably with a socket as well. Most IC's I replace I use a socket so I don't have to desolder the part next time.

I have the same problem with Switches 26 & 36 as well...they go to U19. Tracing everything back, I see that everything goes to U20 (chip ULN2803) on the Column side...could that be the issue? If it might be, I don't have any of those chips on hand either.

Wish I could just swap out the CPU board from the Creature pin I'll be working on next. Sure would make troubleshooting a lot easier if a guy had a few spare boards kicking around.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from earflaps:

What the heck is J212 used for?

For flipper switches on some WPC games.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I have to disagree, I really don't think it fits the description according to the troubleshooting guide.
"If a switch diode does short closed, all switches in that particular column or row will exhibit strange behavior. If a switch diode goes permanently open, the switch will never register. Keep this in mind when diagnosing switch matrix problems."
All switches in a row or column are not exhibing strange behavior - just one.

I think you might be thinking of a ground short. One shorted or reversed diode wont short the whole row or column.

#29 9 years ago

Here is a simple test that will tell you if it is on the WPC board or somewhere in the playfield:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Switch_Matrix_Problems

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Karetaker:

I think you might be thinking of a ground short. One shorted or reversed diode wont short the whole row or column.

Bad Switch Diode.
Each micro-switch on the playfield also has an 1N4004 diode soldered to it. This diode can short closed. It doesn't happen often though. IMPORTANT: If a switch diode does short closed, all switches in that particular column or row will exhibit strange behavior. If a switch diode goes permanently open, the switch will never register. Keep this in mind when diagnosing switch matrix problems.

#31 9 years ago

That was quoted right from the repair guide:
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wpc/index2.htm#switch

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Each micro-switch on the playfield also has an 1N4004 diode soldered to it. This diode can short closed. It doesn't happen often though. IMPORTANT: If a switch diode does short closed, all switches in that particular column or row will exhibit strange behavior.

I think the wording of this could have been better (I understand it's not your wording). Yes, if a diode is shorted then all switches in that column or row "could" exhibit strange behavior. For that behavior to occur though two other switches will have to be closed. One in the same column as the shorted diode and one in the same row as the shorted diode. And of the course the switch with the shorted diode will need to be closed.

In some cases the problem will show up easily (when you've got commonly closed switches like the trough or a drop target). In other cases it is unlikely you'll ever see the problem during game play.

Of course this all changes slightly when you're dealing with optos since there is no physical switch.

I'm still going to have to stick with, if you disconnect the opto board and the problem goes away then there is likely a problem with the opto board. It would take less than two minutes to test the diodes with a DMM.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

I'm still going to have to stick with, if you disconnect the opto board and the problem goes away then there is likely a problem with the opto board. It would take less than two minutes to test the diodes with a DMM.

I thought testing the diodes was stated done earlier in the thread:

Quoted from earflaps:

I took the opto board off and visually inspected with a magnifying glass...looks fine. I put the DMM in Diode Mode and tested the diodes and resistors...they check out normal.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I thought testing the diodes was stated done earlier in the thread:

You are correct, I missed that. Then I would do the test that Karetaker suggested to see if it's the board or the playfield.

Still curious why removing the opto board would make the problem go away???

#35 9 years ago

If you close 37 does it also trigger 27? If you close 38 does it also trigger 28?

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

You are correct, I missed that. Then I would do the test that Karetaker suggested to see if it's the board or the playfield.

Quoted from Karetaker:

Here is a simple test that will tell you if it is on the WPC board or somewhere in the playfield:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Switch_Matrix_Problems

Thanks Karetaker...I'll test this after work and report back. I was actually starting to do a similar test when my DMD went out. Nonetheless, I'm back in action and can test shortly.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

...and to make it even more confusing...when I simply detach the 12V wire on IDC connection to the Opto Board, the double-switch error goes away as well. According to PinballMike's article and other suggestions, that indicates a bad LM339...which the opto board doesn't have.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

If you close 37 does it also trigger 27? If you close 38 does it also trigger 28?

As far as I remember Terry, those switches fired normally. I'm sure I would have wrote them down when I went through all the switches.

#39 9 years ago

Have you checked the opto voltage?

#40 9 years ago

That's interesting... I checked all the columns against all the row as described in the article suggested by Karetaker....they're all good. None of them fired up with 2 switches at the same time. I guess that indicates that the problem is on the playfield....hmmmm.

Terryb, the voltage at switch opto is 14.2V. I'll check with a couple of other DMMs I have but I'm pretty sure this one is accurate.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

If you could double check that it would be great.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

If you could double check that it would be great.

It's all good with switch 37 and 38....each switch fires independently.

Does 14.2V seem a bit high for the opto?? I think I'll switch out the diode on the opto board just for piece of mind.

So it sounds like I can turn the page on the problem being with the CPU? Now I'm really at a loss. If I recall, one of the flasher lamps on the playfield wasn't firing properly. Maybe I'll tackle that one if it's still acting up and see if that changes anything. My goodness this one sucks!

#43 9 years ago

I think I'm onto something. There's an independant board under the playfield. I thought it was exclusively for 7 opto through switches. Turns out J3 also has connections back to the switches in question. I've done a little testing before responding and it looks like I have a couple of resistors that are too far out of range. I'm going to see if I have anything that will work for them on hand and replace them if I do. There are a couple of LM339 chips on there as well.

Here's what the board consists of:

Opto Board.jpgOpto Board.jpg

Opto Board 1.jpgOpto Board 1.jpg
#44 9 years ago

The 14 volts on the optos is fine. They run off un-regulated 12 volts so will typically read high. If you disconnect the opto board above do the problems go away?

#45 9 years ago

By keeping the opto board unplugged, 26 no longer trigger 36. And to recap, unplugging the power to the 4 bank opto, 54 no longer triggers 44.

Checked the resistors on the 7 Opto Board with my old faithful MM...they're fine. Going to test LM339 as soon as I find that test procedure again.

#46 9 years ago

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but it does look like two separate problems since there is no common row or column between the two issues.

#47 9 years ago

Okay...well I'm back at it. Did a lot of testing with continuity and voltages on the playfield. One of the Rows in question, appears to be low on voltage. Row 4, White/Yellow appears to be low on what it should be...10.2V. A few of the others that I checked appear to be closer to 13.7V. I traced it all the way back to the CPU board and checked it there...same thing, 10.2V at pin 4. I also unplugged the Lamp Matrix circuitry from the Driver Board just to be sure there wasn't some sort of strange grounding problem...no change. Correct me if I'm wrong but this seems to be too low...not??

#48 9 years ago

Probably the LM339, but there are also 2 resistors and cap at the input.

#49 9 years ago

Should have the LM339 chips this week some time. Never ordered any caps though...grrr. I'll have a look at the schematics and track everything down in that row...right??

#50 9 years ago

Just a bit of an update. I was doing some further testing while waiting for my chips to show up. I was getting some wonky voltages at the J207 pins (down to 10 and up to 14). Just by chance, I noticed that as soon as I unplugged J212, the voltages were all identical across J207....hmmmm.

Traced J212 back to the Coin Door Interface Board. When I took it off and tested the diodes, I was sure I was going to find an open diode...not the case. After examining the board closely and testing pins and traces for continuity, I notice one of the traces was severed. I fixed that, plugged everything back in, and carried on. The voltages were good at J207 once again but it never seemed to cure anything else...grrrr.

Got my U20 chips in yesterday. I replaced it and fired up the machine into Switch Edge Test Mode and tested the switches...no change. Still haven't got the LM339's in yet but was hoping U20 would have made some impact on something...oh well.

Anyway, thought I would update just for the odd guy that might have been following. I'll let you know if there are any changes with the LM339's. Going away Thursday for a few days so I might not get back to it for a bit.

Oh, almost forgot...when I close the coin door and try to fire up a game, the DMD tells me I have...can't remember...coin door open...something, something, something. I can clear it by opening the coin door again and pushing escape, closing he coin door slowly by not activating Slam Tilt, and pushing Start again....sometimes....not always. Sometimes I have to repeat the process a few times. Anyone else ever run into this? I have a new bottom door switch but haven't really tested the upper one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.95
$ 9.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phantom-switch-column-short and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.