(Topic ID: 2507)

Phantom of the Opera - Where is the 'knocker' located?

By Pintucky

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Pintucky
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ohhh_Yea_!!.gif
#1 13 years ago

My Phantom of the Opera does not 'knock' when you win a game. Figured the knocker was worn out or broken. I didn't even look inside to see it. They are very inexpensive, so I bought a new knocker and striker plate. When I went in to remove the old one and put in a the new one, I couldn't even find it!!! Perhaps the previous owner had removed it. I cannot see an obvious place where it may have been, like up in the head or down in the cabinet.

Does anyone know WHERE the knocker is located?

Thanks for your help.

#2 13 years ago

Since this is a DE game, I'm not sure if this is correct but you will most often find the knocker in the upper left corner of the backbox. There should be a two-wire plug hanging there (rather thick wires). Also look for previous screw holes. Maybe you can find photos of a DE backbox from that time with a knocker inside on pinrepair.com ?

#3 13 years ago

The only other place I have ever seen one was in the bottom of the cabinet by the speaker. But looking at pics on the IPDB it doesn't seen to be shown anywhere?

But the top half of the backbos is cut off in the pic.

#4 13 years ago

Don't know if its too late to comment, but my POTO doesn't knock either. Never has. Just some groovy excited music and flashing lights etc......

#5 13 years ago

Data East likes to put the knockers in the lower cabinet. Usually they are set up to knock against the wood that runs along the back of the coin box. But the Phantom could be different.

If you ask me, there couldn't be a worse place for a knocker. If the game is making a lot of noise for the replay, it is really easy to miss the knock.

I love knockers! The bigger the better.

1 year later
#6 11 years ago

Mine does not have a knocker as well. Bringing this thread back to see if it is possible to add one to the game? It doesnt seem right not hearing one go off when there is a match! I wonder why they left it off this title?

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#8 11 years ago

POTO is a Sys2 machine. The first Sys2 machine, Secret Service, had the knocker installed in the upper right corner of the backbox. Somewhere along the way, DE moved the knocker to the cabinet by the speaker. However, the DE documentation does not list the knocker in either the cabinet or backbox parts in any of the Sys2 games after Secret Service.

I know that for the game after yours, BttF, the knocker was in the cab so there's only two places to look. You need to look for two loose wires, empty screw holes and a metal strike plate. If you find those but no knocker you'll need to buy a new mech. Terry @ PBL sells them.

viperrwk

#9 11 years ago

On the backglass

#10 11 years ago

There was no knocker, no strike plate, no extra holes and no spare wires anywhere on the POTO I had either.

#11 11 years ago

I can confirm that there's no knocker on POTO. Not even mention of it in the manual or schematics. I was thinking about adding one as well. If any POTO owners have done this mod - chime in!

Does anybody know why this is the case? Cost-cutting measure?

#12 11 years ago

That would be 2 knockers Sir.

#13 11 years ago

Well that explains it. I used to have Secret Service and was wondering how the hell that game could have a knocker and POTO not have one!

#14 11 years ago

Nice year old thread bump.

#15 11 years ago

Wow! AndHart120 resurrected my old post!!!!

My POTO is still knocker-less! I was never able to find ANY trace of striker plate, wires, or anything that would indicate one had been on there.

IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW WE CAN ADD A KNOCKER TO THIS PIN, THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!

Striker plate and coil would be easy to get and mount. In fact, I already have that. But how to do the wiring?!!!!! And more importantly, is it in the game code to make it knock?????????!!!!!!!!!!! I'm thinking this cannot be done.
Mike

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phantom-of-the-opera-where-is-the-knocker-located and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.