D783D772-CC44-4B45-AA9C-00A1EC44142B (resized).jpeg
11547848-F6B5-4060-90E0-019D9FB41090 (resized).jpeg
E82B3AC6-57FD-4DEE-9262-4E98EFFBA01F (resized).jpeg
64EB3E57-F6D6-4636-AF4F-30B755B1B0BE (resized).jpeg
18C27A62-7CB6-4A5B-B302-D409E99E4015 (resized).jpeg
C4E279E0-9FE1-4D5A-AFB6-0AF980207FF2 (resized).jpeg
18DD5C42-476E-430B-8020-9496A85A8A8F (resized).jpeg
D7C33595-765A-4C70-A902-C19FAE983903 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,156 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 24.
#351 8 years ago

If my phantom face insert wasn't warped to death, I wouldn't have removed the Mylar either.

#352 8 years ago

I've heard a number of people complain about the "scream" at the end of every ball on this game. Being a new owner, I discovered if you just press a flipper button when the ball is lost, the scream gets bypassed. Don't know if everybody knows that but it was a nice discovery for me.

#353 8 years ago

Shooter lane is sanded

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#354 8 years ago

I could probably do some more sanding on it. Not liking it. Still looks dirty, but at least it's smooth again

#355 8 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

I could probably do some more sanding on it. Not liking it. Still looks dirty, but at least it's smooth again

How are you sanding it? With sandpaper wrapped around a dowl?

#356 8 years ago

Yeah. I got it a little better last night.

#357 8 years ago

I was hoping to spend this whole vacation week working on phantom, but my kid has pneumonia and I've been in and out of doctors visits.

#358 8 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

I wish CPR would. I would still finish this one up, but hang it as an art piece.

I'd buy a CPR one to hang too (until I get my own Phantom to restore). Anyway, even if they announce today it'd still be a couple years before you could get the repro.

#359 8 years ago

Candle inserts are scraped out. Now to lay a very light spray of clearcoat on the next "warmish" day. The biggest killer will be to cut masks around all of the candle flames. I was REALLY hoping the paint wouldn't have lifted from these, but oh well.

1 week later
#360 8 years ago

Cricut air cutter just arrived today. Can't wait to see how well it die cuts airbrush masks and decals that I print

#361 8 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Cricut air cutter just arrived today. Can't wait to see how well it die cuts airbrush masks and decals that I print

Do you have a link to the one you have bought?

#362 8 years ago

http://us.cricut.com/home/learn/machines/explore-family

I bought the explore air with all the accessories. They had a presidents day sale for 330 bucks with all the different blades, tools, and some different materials to get started. Was cheaper to buy the set than just getting the machine and the deep cut blade and the scoring tools later

#363 8 years ago

Testing out the stencil cutter tomorrow for a friend of mine. Let's see how well this works on a simple template. My daughter decided to try out the paint pen feature on it. It would be awesome to use a trace pen on for custom circuit boards

#364 8 years ago

The print then cut feature blows. Only prints out at 72dpi. Found a pain in the butt workaround though. Twice as much work but the decals will print out perfect and the cut marks are exact. Just a ton more work

#365 8 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

I've heard a number of people complain about the "scream" at the end of every ball on this game. Being a new owner, I discovered if you just press a flipper button when the ball is lost, the scream gets bypassed. Don't know if everybody knows that but it was a nice discovery for me.

Yeah, I found out pressing the left and right flipper buttons in successions makes the sound of a whip cracking. Part of me does wish that some of the voice clips didn't have so much crackle, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to put a Pinsound in with new sounds.

Out of curiosity, what kind of lamps are in this machine? It would have been nice if the manual actually said what bulbs had been used where. So many burnt out bulbs to replace. T~T

Looks like you're doing a pretty good job with this though! Don't think I'd ever work up the courage to attempt touching up the artwork on mine.

#366 8 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

You need a vuk rebuild kit and a coil from pinball resource. Cost is like 16 bucks for the kit, and $8 for the coil. I am redoing all 3 on mine

got that fixed a long time ago. All i needed was a new spring. Mine was bent up.. Original coil, plastics, etc are all fine. VUK shoots balls great now. My POTO is fully functioning and stellar now. It took me 6 months to paint it clean it fix it up. Good luck to all you guys.

#367 8 years ago

The weather is the only thing holding me up now since I can't put my lock down layer of clear. I mean, I could be working on the rust removal and metal polishing, but I've got to get the playfield done to get my bench space back.

#368 8 years ago

After about 50 plays, the Organ mechanism is now stuck...the door won't close. It just struggles to close over and over. I'm sure I'm not the first owner to get this problem...can someone advise on corrective action? I'm not much of a motor-mechanism guy. Do I need to buy a new motor for it? Youtube video demo of the problem and pics enclosed... Help!

20160226_220611_resized_(resized).jpg20160226_220611_resized_(resized).jpg

20160226_220447_resized_(resized).jpg20160226_220447_resized_(resized).jpg

#369 8 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

After about 50 plays, the Organ mechanism is now stuck...the door won't close. It just struggles to close over and over. I'm sure I'm not the first owner to get this problem...can someone advise on corrective action? I'm not much of a motor-mechanism guy. Do I need to buy a new motor for it? Youtube video demo of the problem and pics enclosed... Help!

Suggest you start your own thread on this issue.

1 week later
#370 8 years ago

Well, I totally fixed the organ problem. It was indeed the motor going bad. And a broken wire. And a bent limit switch. And about 3 other little problems! Here's the link to my post on how to fix. You can't get the identical motor any more. I had to get something from Marco that was darn close, but then do a small modification to get it to fit.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phantom-of-opera-organ-door-stuckideas-poto#post-3013605

20160303_101558_(resized).jpg20160303_101558_(resized).jpg

#371 8 years ago

Nice job with that bad motor.

We will finally get a couple of days in the low 70s here in Jersey so I'm FINALLY gonna get to lay down my locking coat of 2pac. Then it's back to work! In the meanwhile my AV club students and I have been working on this. I'm having them build a multicade for our engineering project. I'm cutting all the mdf, but they are doing all the other work

#372 8 years ago

That's probably a project for students that everyone will love. What a fantastic idea!

#373 8 years ago

I've got outgassing bubbles like nobody's business

#374 8 years ago

What kind of clear did you shoot? Is this all over the playfield or just on the inserts?

#375 8 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

I've got outgassing bubbles like nobody's business

image_(resized).jpeg

I also got that on my last clear job. The reason was that the coat was to heavy. Did not have enough light coats before the heavy one.

#376 8 years ago

It is mostly where I had chipped the clear off to fix inserts. I dropped new clear in, so it's too thick. I didn't think to do thin coats first before dropping. I still need to do paint touch ups still, but was trying to save time to do the flattening of inserts at the same time. Oops. I got this still

#377 8 years ago

#378 8 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

It is mostly where I had chipped the clear off to fix inserts. I dropped new clear in, so it's too thick. I didn't think to do thin coats first before dropping. I still need to do paint touch ups still, but was trying to save time to do the flattening of inserts at the same time. Oops. I got this still

I also dropped in my inserts and they look exactly like yours. I had to scrape 90-100% off again as the bubbles are in the bottom
But I learn something new all the time.

2 weeks later
#379 8 years ago

I've been distracted working on my students multi arcade cabinet with them, and then I've been fixing the problems with my own cabinet since my daughter dropped a 2 liter of orange soda into it during a sleepover. But I'm off all next week and will begin all my playfield touch ups.

1 week later
#380 8 years ago

And the pin might have to wait a little. Clipped a trash truck

#381 8 years ago

No problem, it'll buff right out!

Seriously, hope no one was injured.

#382 8 years ago

That poor little Cube tried it's hardest to be a Transformer and got confused during the process.

Pinball can wait, it is just stuff we do to take our minds off of real life. Hope everyone in your car was fine.

#383 8 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

And the pin might have to wait a little. Clipped a trash truck

image_(resized).jpeg

Oh man that's totaled. I hope everyone is OK.

#384 8 years ago

It just needs a fuse. Home use only.

My airbrushing arm is burnt from the airbag, and I'm a little bruised. Luckily I was the only one in the car. Here is what I've been working on with my AV club kids this week. All hand cuts

#385 8 years ago

An airbag "burn"? Never heard of that one but glad your ok, that picture was nasty. Nice new cab there. Is that a teleprompter I spy on the left side of the cab? Well actually I know it is cuz I had my own video production company for 20 years. Not a big operation but I sure had a great time.

#386 8 years ago

It sure is.

1 week later
#387 8 years ago

New hauler

#388 8 years ago

Don't forget the DECEPTICON logo

1 month later
#389 7 years ago

Well My game is finally done. Thought you guys would like to see it and the clear coated playfield.
Thanks
magicchiz

20160518_225446_(resized).jpg20160518_225446_(resized).jpg

#390 7 years ago

Beautiful man! I've gotta get back on this one. Life just gets in the way

#391 7 years ago

This is finally finished

2 months later
#392 7 years ago

It's been awhile. Now that my hands stopped shaking after that accident I'm back to doing touchups. I sanded all of the fisheyes and bubbles out, and did the Reds and large spots of black. I got the skin tones REALLY close but a little too pink so I'll touch them up again

2 weeks later
#393 7 years ago

Ok, is anyone else having trouble uploading pictures?

#394 7 years ago

That's lookin pretty good. Hope your feeling better.

#395 7 years ago

Right trail is done. Going to have to bury it in clear. The color is as close as I could get, but the gold dust isn't as fine as the original

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#396 7 years ago

Has anyone ever put auto clear on their ramps? I used rustoleum professional deep red glossy, but I want a little extra protection.

#398 7 years ago

Left trail done

#400 7 years ago

Looks amazing how many hours does it take to paint the playfield?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

There are 1,156 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phantom-of-the-opera-restoration/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.