New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 141379)

Phantom of the Opera high end restoration

By jboner1058

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,150 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by jboner1058
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 497 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0CDD927D-E730-4433-A83E-38E97DD88A1C (resized).jpeg
5D38FDC8-8D1A-48B9-91D5-3CC6E6A28D40 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0C427C9E-4F47-4D49-82CC-7F504C592035 (resized).jpeg
EFD02CBF-7B86-498E-BC58-2255CF991448 (resized).jpeg
9695B03B-FE1E-4431-96B9-3572F814D83E (resized).jpeg
D783D772-CC44-4B45-AA9C-00A1EC44142B (resized).jpeg
11547848-F6B5-4060-90E0-019D9FB41090 (resized).jpeg
E82B3AC6-57FD-4DEE-9262-4E98EFFBA01F (resized).jpeg
64EB3E57-F6D6-4636-AF4F-30B755B1B0BE (resized).jpeg
18C27A62-7CB6-4A5B-B302-D409E99E4015 (resized).jpeg
C4E279E0-9FE1-4D5A-AFB6-0AF980207FF2 (resized).jpeg
18DD5C42-476E-430B-8020-9496A85A8A8F (resized).jpeg
D7C33595-765A-4C70-A902-C19FAE983903 (resized).jpeg
ADBC15B5-9312-49BE-BFA3-389BA3B4CCC9 (resized).jpeg

There are 1150 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 23.
#252 4 years ago

Gonna buy some LEDs tonight and have new playfield glass on the way. Buddy of mine is working on a playfield toy that could turn out really awesome. Shame the weather is too cold to work on the artwork. Going to do another big order of parts after the Christmas buying season is over.

#253 4 years ago

Got my LEDs ordered. All from comet, except I'm gonna older 25 retros from cointaker for the GI

#254 4 years ago

I hooked up a sub to my POTO a few days ago and it's awesome. Really adds some fullness to the great soundtrack. (sorry to add one more to-do to your project...)

#255 4 years ago

Well I need to replace all the speakers anyways since they are dry rotted. Shame the thing that will hold me up the most is the weather and the artwork since I can't paint under 70 degrees. And it's cold and wet here till like April

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

I have this and it works great http://www.arbortime.mountainminded.net/html/the_better_tonka_rivet_tool_-_.html. It's no longer for sale though.
With some encouragement, Vid might be able to pull out some magic yet again and come up with a $40 alternative that does not require buying a press and set of dies.

I purchased this tubular rivet clincher about a month ago on Ebay. Keep checking as they are usually offered about once per month from this seller.

ebay.com link

Gord

#257 4 years ago

I also have a tubular rivet squeezer very similar to this and it is very easy to use and works great for doing ramp flaps and other types of pinball riveting. Those are pretty decent prices for a quality tubular rivet squeezer.

Gord

#258 4 years ago

Legs are off, this cabinet has a lot of damage. Especially under the pinball leg protectors. Anyone know an easy way to remove the glass rails?

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

#259 4 years ago

Temporary home until Christmas is over

image.jpeg

#261 4 years ago

I am def gonna do the same speaker setup

#262 4 years ago

The VUK pad came flying out the other day from the cellar door and I am trying to figure out how to reattach. Does anyone have a picture of the assembly or some part numbers for ordering a new plastic? It still kicks out with the plastic "shaft" with no ball pad, but this isnt a good long term solution...

thanks in advance!

#263 4 years ago

The pad is held on to the shaft by a press in pin, so either the pad or shaft broke. If it's the pad you can buy a new one and put it on the shaft yourself but you will have to take the assembly out to put the pad on the shaft. If the shaft broke you'll have to replace the shaft and the pad.

#264 4 years ago

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I'm pretty swamped from mid November through Christmas with work. I'm currently trying to build a cold weather spray booth on my back porch using plastic and space heaters. If you read in the news "local man lights house on fire while painting a pinball machine" you will know it was me

#265 4 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I'm pretty swamped from mid November through Christmas with work. I'm currently trying to build a cold weather spray booth on my back porch using plastic and space heaters. If you read in the news "local man lights house on fire while painting a pinball machine" you will know it was me

Uh, this sounds really dangerous. You know paint fumes are flammable, right? LOL Make sure to have someone video it when you start spraying. I wanna see that sh*t on youtube.

#266 4 years ago

I figured I needed some inspiration, so I went to see Phantom on Broadway tonight

image.jpeg

#267 4 years ago

Got my comet pinball LEDs from the Black Friday sale in today. I did accidentally order a handful of 13v flasher bulbs though. Wonder what I could use those for

#268 4 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

I figured I needed some inspiration, so I went to see Phantom on Broadway tonight

I did the same...took my wife to see it...Phantom is her favorite pinball machine..two birds one stone. Im working on my destroyed and try to bring me back to life Eight Ball Deluxe now..hope to get it to at least come on by Christmas!! Bad MPU board and Power Module.

#269 4 years ago

Powers not so bad, but MPU can really hurt the wallet.

#270 4 years ago

Here is the final cleaned up version using scans from multiple pinsiders. And I'm starting on number 2. I will be using Christmas break to do all of the decals (hopefully lol)

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

#271 4 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Here is the final cleaned up version using scans from multiple pinsiders.

Hard to believe that's just an insert graphic. Looks like it could go on the side of the backbox. Jeez...Go Paul Faris.

(...and nice work cleaning it up!)

#272 4 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

I've got to figure out a way to transfer the ramp decals. I don't have a decal printer, and it's like $100 to have them printed from scans.

Dont know if anyone answered this yet ....So Kris at Firebird Pinball described the process to me as I have the same issue with my MNF. Basically, you pull them off of the ramp using heat or w/e to melt the glue. Once off, you strip the adhesive off with goo-gone. Clean them off then apply them to super thin doublesided tape and trim. I've been too scared to try and came across a set of NOS decals for super cheap so never had to use the method. Hope this helps.

#273 4 years ago

good luck with your resto ,it's seems to turn up nice, i like the music and souds effects very powerfull ,the game is a bit simple butstill a very good Data!

#274 4 years ago

Removed the top half of Mylar before my can went empty. Not too much loss of paint other than spots I already knew I was losing. Will probably lose more when I remove the glue but I'm going with naphtha and goo gone instead of alcohol this time

#275 4 years ago

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

#276 4 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Went to see it back in October. Best Broadway play there is. I could watch it over and over again.

#278 4 years ago

I've already prepared for this. Wasn't expecting the candles to lift though. They will be a pain in the butt to fix

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

#279 4 years ago

Damn ran out of spray again. That 12oz can from Walmart didn't get nearly as much out of it as my staples can

#280 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

arn't the decals printed on plastic? for the bally ones, I just cleaned off all the glue and cleaned them up, sprayed 3M spray adhesive on them and restuck them on.

you can use decal transfer tape too. 37something MP.

-c

#281 4 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Removed the top half of Mylar before my can went empty. Not too much loss of paint other than spots I already knew I was losing. Will probably lose more when I remove the glue but I'm going with naphtha and goo gone instead of alcohol this time

try flour and alcohol. I find it goes easier on old playfields than the chemicals in goo-gone and orange power.

-c

#282 4 years ago

The alcohol eats the gold paint like nobody's biz. Learned that the hard way.

#283 4 years ago

Today would have been the perfect day to lay down a thin layer of clear to lock down the existing artwork. 73 degrees in December in Jersey? Crazy

#284 4 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

image.jpeg

Awesome! Hope you had a blast. My love for the Broadway show was the main motivator behind me getting a POTO.

#285 4 years ago

Has anyone ever clear coated over a decal on a ramp? I won't melt the ramp will I?

#286 4 years ago

Typical of every Mylar pull I've seen on phantom

image.jpg

#287 4 years ago

Just curious. Why are you clearing over a ramp? I have never done that but I have put leftover clear in a Gatorade bottle with no problem. But I did have it eat through a thin plastic cup before. The top of my trash bin still has a nice layer of clear on it. Lol

#288 4 years ago

I want to preserve the decals and the nos ramp

#289 4 years ago

the only way you can clear a ramp is if you scratch it up first. Have to scuff it, or the clear will not stick. Will be difficult to scuff the decal without scratching off the art.

#290 4 years ago

Never mind then. I'd do more damage to it

#291 4 years ago

I've noticed a handful of phantoms going up for sale in really bad shape in the low to mid $2000s. What did you guys pay for yours? What condition was it in?

#292 4 years ago

JUST GOT A FULL SET OF NOS PHANTOM DECALS!!!

#293 4 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

I've noticed a handful of phantoms going up for sale in really bad shape in the low to mid $2000s. What did you guys pay for yours? What condition was it in?

I paid $2000 for mine. Terrible playfield damage which you can see in the video I posted earlier in this thread. Playfield had never been really cleaned and was completely covered in white and black crud. It was thick and all the star posts had to be replaced because of it. They were also cracked and crumbling. The rubbers were original and were cruddy. Whole machine under playfield was crap, many broken plastics, ruined Phantom face in PF from wrong bulbs beneath which caused mylar bubbling, melting, playfield melt lumps and damage. With all that wretched nightmare, I still forked over too freakin much for it.

#294 4 years ago

You're making me insanely nervous JBoner with those pics of the playfield all stripped away from the removal of Mylar! The one with no Phantom face makes me cringe. I hope you got a good plan!

#295 4 years ago

It's all good man. It's all good. When I'm done with this thing it's gonna be like brand new

#296 4 years ago

how can you get NOS cabinet decals? DE didn't use cabinet decals for any of their games.

#297 4 years ago

Not cabinet, but playfield decals. For EVERYTHING. So all of my yellowed and peeling organ decals (even the sides), my ramp decals I was going to find a way to transfer, the phantom underface, pop bumpers, music notes, the spinner, etc

#298 4 years ago

Having these will save me at least 50 hours of Photoshop. And probably 200 bucks in custom white solid ink and gold ink decal printing.

#299 4 years ago

I'm gonna scan them all in once I get them and convert them to vectors too. So if anyone needs scans I'll have them.

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from PINBALL-LUST:

I paid $2000 for mine. Terrible playfield damage which you can see in the video I posted earlier in this thread. Playfield had never been really cleaned and was completely covered in white and black crud. It was thick and all the star posts had to be replaced because of it. They were also cracked and crumbling. The rubbers were original and were cruddy. Whole machine under playfield was crap, many broken plastics, ruined Phantom face in PF from wrong bulbs beneath which caused mylar bubbling, melting, playfield melt lumps and damage. With all that wretched nightmare, I still forked over too freakin much for it.

In case someone's interested, there is one on CL in the Bay Area for $2200. sfbay.craigslist.org link

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rockaway, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
Sale Pending!
Beresford, SD
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 17.00
There are 1150 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 23.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside