D783D772-CC44-4B45-AA9C-00A1EC44142B (resized).jpeg
11547848-F6B5-4060-90E0-019D9FB41090 (resized).jpeg
E82B3AC6-57FD-4DEE-9262-4E98EFFBA01F (resized).jpeg
64EB3E57-F6D6-4636-AF4F-30B755B1B0BE (resized).jpeg
18C27A62-7CB6-4A5B-B302-D409E99E4015 (resized).jpeg
C4E279E0-9FE1-4D5A-AFB6-0AF980207FF2 (resized).jpeg
18DD5C42-476E-430B-8020-9496A85A8A8F (resized).jpeg
D7C33595-765A-4C70-A902-C19FAE983903 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,156 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 24.
#151 8 years ago

Are those the warm whites or natural white? I'm going with the warm whites.

#152 8 years ago

Cleaning the backbox today. I'm gonna end up reprinting it white satin to spread the light

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

#153 8 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Yes. I used Warm Whites, frosted. I also think they look good in my backglass. I am happy with all the Comforts except in GI and in the pop bumpers. Im not disappointed, they would just probably be better a little brighter.

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from PINBALL-LUST:

Yes. I used Warm Whites, frosted. I also think they look good in my backglass. I am happy with all the Comforts except in GI and in the pop bumpers. Im not disappointed, they would just probably be better a little brighter.

I recommend trying 2 red Comfort Brights in his eyes. Man, it really makes it creepy and cool when they light up. He looks like a White Walker from Game of Thrones..ha.

#155 8 years ago

Can anyone help? The spit out is sometimes weak on the left hand red rail. You know, where it shoots up from the trough under the magic mirror and trap door. When there's two balls waiting in there for multiball, it will only throw the ball up an inch and it will fall back down. It will try to throw it up several times before it succeeds. Does that mean its a bad coil on that ball ejector? This is my first pin, so I dont know everything yet.

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

I spent about $75 (with shipping) to do the entire POTO in Comfort Bright LED's from Comet. That is all the 44s and 555s. That does not include the giant socket bulbs. I left them as incandescent because it would be like another $60 to LED them unless someone knows where I can get them cheap.

#157 8 years ago

You need a vuk rebuild kit and a coil from pinball resource. Cost is like 16 bucks for the kit, and $8 for the coil. I am redoing all 3 on mine

#158 8 years ago

The really bad side.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#159 8 years ago

Although the side that was touched up (and over) with the can of spray paint may be my least favorite side

#160 8 years ago

With the RED comfort brights in his eyes and warm white comforts in the backglass.
IMG_20151108_144722.jpgIMG_20151108_144722.jpg

#161 8 years ago

Also, as you can see in that last post, I have a messed up top portion of my display. There are lines through letters and commas everywhere. Any idea on what to do? Replace the whole unit for $200? or something easier/cheaper?

#162 8 years ago

I wasnt going to clear coat this playfield or remove Mylar. So I hand painted all the areas and used tracing paper to do etchings with pencil where there was no mylar and cut out shapes and applied to all areas of the playfield where the ball rolls. I got it from Marcos and I really liked that stuff.
Repainted Skulls
IMG_20151008_221350.jpg
IMG_20151008_221408.jpg
Hand painted gold work. Cant even tell it was damaged. The paint was all gone to the wood under both flippers too.
IMG_20151006_120642.jpg
Rings around bumpers repainted Gold, black, and red. Pain in the ass, but looks nice. Now those areas have Mylar going all the way around in a ring. Never lose it again. Terrible pain in the ass, but had to be done.
IMG_20151025_231743.jpg

How did you find reference artwork to reproduce it? Or did you just try and figure out where it went by what was there? Wish I would have saw this before, I would have asked you for reference pictures of the drain area for the touch ups I had to do on the POTO I was working on.

#163 8 years ago

Hope these help Lust

IMG_0767.jpgIMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0771.jpgIMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpgIMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0773.jpgIMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0775.jpgIMG_0775.jpg

#164 8 years ago

Mind you, I already know those extra rubbers don't belong there, and the posts are probably wrong. And I can't say for certain thats the original spring. Lord knows everything else is rigged on it.

#166 8 years ago

Oh I already know they are wrong

#167 8 years ago

Also, as you can see in that last post, I have a messed up top portion of my display. There are lines through letters and commas everywhere. Any idea on what to do? Replace the whole unit for $200? or something easier/cheaper?

POTO was my first pin. I also had a display problem. It ended up being some cracked connectors right at the juncture between the board and the glass. I was able to fix them with a little solder.

#168 8 years ago

if I remember correctly. I think that rubber in back of that stop is a triangle formation. I can't remember now and I didn't take pictures of the shop out job. WHich I wanted to do, for games, so people can see how things are suppose to go on games. Idid it for a couple of tear downs but not a lot.

#169 8 years ago

I'm going to use my copy of "pinball arcade" as a bit of a guide for what the proper parts are and where they go. This thing was rigged to death. I just hope I can get it all back together once I finish the playfield and cabinet. It's getting colder here in New Jersey, so I might not be able to clearcoat till the spring. Not to worry, I will be able to do the touch ups since my air brush is heat cured paints.

#170 8 years ago

Reflowed solder on the playfield power, psu, and sound board tonight. I'll have to get a kit of capacitors for the sound board.

#171 8 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Hope these help Lust
YES! Thanks!! I can see it now. My spring is wound up and attached to the wrong stuff..and keeps coming off. Thanks!

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

POTO was my first pin. I also had a display problem. It ended up being some cracked connectors right at the juncture between the board and the glass. I was able to fix them with a little solder.

OK Thanks!! I will check on it!

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Thanks I will check on it!

#174 8 years ago

JBoner - I applied JB WELD (original formula) around the magic mirror hole on mine. It was a little worse than yours with a major blow out. The wood was flaking away down into the red trough below and the hole was getting slowly larger. I covered everything around the edge of the hole and now its sealed. I think Cliffy told me to do that. I think its good now.

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's not the way mine were on my machine.

They weren't like that on mine either. I only have 1 rubber on each side.

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

How did you find reference artwork to reproduce it? Or did you just try and figure out where it went by what was there? Wish I would have saw this before, I would have asked you for reference pictures of the drain area for the touch ups I had to do on the POTO I was working on.

I looked at the larger pics on IPDB and just sort of "Felt" it. There were very faint lines ( I mean VERY) left in the woodgrain and I kind of just followed them a little with my 2-hair paintbrush. It was mostly Art on my end and I didn't stress out too much about getting an exact replication. There was no way I was going to hurt this PF at all. It was destroyed. I just went over my mistakes in black paint and reapplied the gold again better. The Theater Box area with the men on top were gone and I just glanced here and there at online photos and just kind of made them happen. After I was finished, I took a closer look at the art and I was nearly spot on. Ha. thats what I did.

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

You need a vuk rebuild kit and a coil from pinball resource. Cost is like 16 bucks for the kit, and $8 for the coil. I am redoing all 3 on mine

ok Got it JBoner. On my list. Thanks

#178 8 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Those comet comfort brights look great in the inserts! It's def what I am using for them. I'm going with cointaker retros for the GI and pop bumpers, and the rest are all gonna be comets. Not sure how the super brights will look in the backbox. That's the one part that concerns me is getting hot spots there, or showing the phantoms under face too much

I can't wait to see it. I'll post a video of mine to here when I get a chance of it flashing with all LED's and better visuals of my paint and mylar work.

#179 8 years ago

Fallout 4 comes out today, so expect a few less updates lol. And Star Wars battlefront next week

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Fallout 4 comes out today, so expect a few less updates lol. And Star Wars battlefront next week

A man's got to do what a man's got to do. Ha

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Battlefront is killer, you won't be disappointed. There is something amazing about being a rebel battling it out then looking over and seeing Darth Vader coming, total shit in your pants moment. The only game that getting completely owned is awesome, he is so bad ass even getting forced chocked by him is great. The first time I got to be him wasn't as great for me because I got owned by Luke. If you a super hard core FPS guy it might not blow you away but its still good. If your a Star Wars guy and just having fun online its epic!

#182 8 years ago

Well I might take a break for a little. I'm ordering new coils, and pop bumper parts, and buying a new ramp on Friday. So expect some major updates. It's nasty weather here so I'm putting off bondo and painting the cab for a bit till it dries out. What kind of clearcoat should I use on the cab? Is auto clear overkill?

#183 8 years ago

And yeah, Battlefront looks so damn cool. I'm a huge fan of the battlefield games, so this is right up my alley. My kid wants it for Christmas though, so I might put it away until then, especially if I'm deep into Fallout 4.

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Well I might take a break for a little. I'm ordering new coils, and pop bumper parts, and buying a new ramp on Friday. So expect some major updates. It's nasty weather here so I'm putting off bondo and painting the cab for a bit till it dries out. What kind of clearcoat should I use on the cab? Is auto clear overkill?

Auto clear is probably a good idea:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide/page/2#post-2784762
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide/page/2#post-2789285

#185 8 years ago

Got my MAAS metal polish in the mail a week late from Amazon prime, time to start getting the rust off of these parts. Although some are so far gone it may be easier to just replace. Especially the coil guides from constant beating without a rubber stopper in place

#186 8 years ago

I made a short video showing my Mylar and repainting work. What I didn't mention in the video was that I also Mylared over the sticker on the Organ ramp. Also I mylared the insides of the Organ, the stone walls, on each side where the ball travels up the organ. I had a lot of peeling and dirt and frayed clear plastic hanging off the sides where the ball ate it. I peeled them down to the bare sticker on each side and covered them with a piece of mylar cut to shape. Makes it indestructible now and smooth.

#187 8 years ago

I need to do that to my organ stickers since mine are borked up pretty bad.. I was gonna scan and reproduce them and then clearcoat them. My biggest issue is going to be transferring the clear decals from the old ramp to the new one. Not looking forward to it.

#188 8 years ago

New scanner ordered, new ramp payed for, and waiting on the comet pinball led sale. Gonna be an expensive week

#189 8 years ago

Where do you guys buy Mylar, I just got my Mirror door fixed and a new sticker on it, would like to put something over it to protect it? Can you just get it a craft shop?

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Where do you guys buy Mylar, I just got my Mirror door fixed and a new sticker on it, would like to put something over it to protect it? Can you just get it a craft shop?

Office Max or the like has it.

#191 8 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I got mine from Marcos. I like it, but expensive. I'll try Office Max next.

#192 8 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

New scanner ordered, new ramp payed for, and waiting on the comet pinball led sale. Gonna be an expensive week

Man, I can't imagine..Its gonna be a very expensive week.

#193 8 years ago

Anybody tell me how I can get a Phantom manual without paying $20? Is there a full manual I can download or get emailed to me? Thanks
[email protected]

#194 8 years ago

I don't think anyone has the full manual online. I got mine through eBay

#195 8 years ago

New scanner came today, I'm going to start scanning in the playfield and inserts tonight

#196 8 years ago

I just bought a copy of the manual, I could scan the pages, but the fold out schematics wont fit in my scanner.

#197 8 years ago

So much scan

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#198 8 years ago

Much better

note_1.jpgnote_1.jpg

#199 8 years ago

those bottom sections by the lower area isn't suppose to touch. Suppose to be 2 angles that go down into a point, with a gap between. Right above the thumbs of the skeleton hands.

#200 8 years ago

Thanks. Mine is worn away so I didn't have a reference

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 1,156 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phantom-of-the-opera-restoration/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.