D783D772-CC44-4B45-AA9C-00A1EC44142B (resized).jpeg
11547848-F6B5-4060-90E0-019D9FB41090 (resized).jpeg
E82B3AC6-57FD-4DEE-9262-4E98EFFBA01F (resized).jpeg
64EB3E57-F6D6-4636-AF4F-30B755B1B0BE (resized).jpeg
18C27A62-7CB6-4A5B-B302-D409E99E4015 (resized).jpeg
C4E279E0-9FE1-4D5A-AFB6-0AF980207FF2 (resized).jpeg
18DD5C42-476E-430B-8020-9496A85A8A8F (resized).jpeg
D7C33595-765A-4C70-A902-C19FAE983903 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,155 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 24.
#101 7 years ago

I don't think i've seen CPR ever do a DE game.

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I don't think i've seen CPR ever do a DE game.

Not a playfield, but other parts.... They redid the plastics for this game.

I am going to hit you up for a couple of scans for this playfield...

#103 7 years ago

they did a plastics set? I may have bought one. I should look in my piles of plastic sets. It's amazing what I find in there sometimes.

#104 7 years ago

Yeah, I have their plastic set for phantom. It's really nice. They did a couple DE repro playfields. Star Wars, Star Trek, last action hero to name a few

#105 7 years ago

they did star wars? how the hell did i miss that boat?

#106 7 years ago

Sorry they did the Bally Star Trek, not the DE

#107 7 years ago

Thanks Ralph for your photos. It helps to see the actual pieces I need to replace. The "fixed with parts from Home Depot" pieces have got to go

#108 7 years ago

i didn't think so. If they did I would have bought one for down the road.

#109 7 years ago

After further inspection of the cabinet, I see one of the back legs is bent. Probably from being shipped half way across the country with the legs on. Add another thing to the list that is growing every day. Anyone know where I can find black pop bumper mounts? All I can find is blue. I may just use epoxy to glue these back together.

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

After further inspection of the cabinet, I see one of the back legs is bent. Probably from being shipped half way across the country with the legs on. Add another thing to the list that is growing every day. Anyone know where I can find black pop bumper mounts? All I can find is blue. I may just use epoxy to glue these back together.

Where are they broke? Where the screws hold them to the playfield? If so, your best bet is to add some oversized washers to the base.

#111 7 years ago

No, the metal is bent and warped in the middle of the leg. The legs were spray painted black, so I might just drop the $50 and buy a nice set of black powder coated ones. Or... Maybe red ones

#112 7 years ago

Sorry, I was referring to the popbumper mounts, not the legs

#113 7 years ago

Lol yeah, all three have at least 2 whole corners cracked off, but far beyond where the screws are. So I'm going to first epoxy the corners back on, then I'm gonna epoxy some hard plastic over the backs to give more support. I'd just buy new ones if they weren't just making them in blue. I could always spray paint the blue ones black, but wear over time will show the blue through

#114 7 years ago

Cabinet harness is out along with the coin door.

#115 7 years ago

Just waiting on my scanner, and then I will begin photoshopping key lines. I need to find someone who can print white ink for the decals for the ramps. Im going to get a new ramp, and carefully remove the existing decals best I can so I can reproduce them.

#116 7 years ago

Started cleaning the assemblies (vuk, pop, kickers, slings) and the exposed metal that had been covered with coil dust has a lot of rust spots now where over time the protective coating and blueing had worn of in spots. It's my fault for using too harsh of a cleaner and ended up with a little flash rusting. So I'm gonna go buy some metal polish/protector and a blueing kit. This happens a lot when I'm restoring older coin ops from the 60s and older. Nothing a bit of polish can't fix, but it's going to add a lot more time to the project for sure.

#117 7 years ago

Just sent in an order for coils and vuk rebuild kits from Steve

#118 7 years ago

Spent an hour using novus 3 and 2 trying to polish out the hard red plastic of the shooter rod. No dice. Does novus not work on hard plastics? I used polishing pads, foam pads, towels, tshirts, all with similar results. Which was no result

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Spent an hour using novus 3 and 2 trying to polish out the hard red plastic of the shooter rod. No dice. Does novus not work on hard plastics? I used polishing pads, foam pads, towels, tshirts, all with similar results. Which was no result

You are probably not going to get the results you want if you are trying to get deep scratches out. You would need to use something with a little more pressure. A bench grinder with a buffing wheel and some novus, something of that nature.

I guess it all depends on what your time is worth-
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=839

#120 7 years ago

Lol yeah, guess 6 bucks would be better than the aggravation from last night

#121 7 years ago

Gonna have to break out the sandpaper.

image.jpeg

#122 7 years ago

All vacuumed and wiped down. The subwoofer was so dry rotted it practically fell apart when I took it out. Add one more thing to the list. I will check the 2 way speakers as well and maybe just buy a new set of infinitys

image.jpeg

#123 7 years ago

I really wish there weren't so many touch ups with paint pens, house paint, and permanent marker. I'm pretty much going to have to repaint this whole thing

image.jpeg

#124 7 years ago

the cabinet looks pretty good overall. What's all the shit you smeared all over it?

#125 7 years ago

That's just the dust from the 1500grit

#126 7 years ago

There's a lot of planking in the paint. And much of the red on the "Phantom" word has a big brush burn that runs half way through it. Probably strap marks from being on route

#127 7 years ago

you going to throw some satin clear on it then?

#128 7 years ago

Here are the before shots where I have issues. I figure I'll start prepping the cabinet since I'm waiting on parts and my scanner for the playfield. I def need to bondo the corners, especially the front. It has a big chunk out of the bottom. Then I'll mix some paint and go back over the black, and the really jacked up reds and golds. This side isn't even the bad side.

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_4.jpeg

#129 7 years ago

Then, I will throw some satin on it once it's done. What type of paints are used on the cabs? Acrylic, enamels?

#130 7 years ago

My JP is that way with the planking all over. I am just gonna redo the whole thing. Sand it down and repaint. Then I will make vinyl to put on it.

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Gonna have to break out the sandpaper.

image.jpeg

I just took the pitted rust off my LAH lock bar receiver, used a stiff wire wheel on my bench grinder and it took it all off but was left with clean pitting. Sanding wouldn't level them out so I primed and sanded a few times to fill the pits and then painted metallic silver and it turned out nice. But of course the paint will scratch off if I'm not careful.

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Here are the before shots where I have issues. I figure I'll start prepping the cabinet since I'm waiting on parts and my scanner for the playfield. I def need to bondo the corners, especially the front. It has a big chunk out of the bottom. Then I'll mix some paint and go back over the black, and the really jacked up reds and golds. This side isn't even the bad side.

image.jpeg image_1.jpeg image_2.jpeg image_3.jpeg image_4.jpeg

Oh man that's some bad planking there.

#133 7 years ago

It seems like just about everything on this pin is bad. I'm in too deep now to not totally redo it. It may not be museum quality, and it may take forever (single dad doesn't leave a lot of freetime to work on it every day), but with any luck it will be one of the better ones out there once I'm done with it all

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

It seems like just about everything on this pin is bad. I'm in too deep now to not totally redo it. It may not be museum quality, and it may take forever (single dad doesn't leave a lot of freetime to work on it every day), but with any luck it will be one of the better ones out there once I'm done with it all

Sounds good, take your time.

#135 7 years ago

for planking. Just match the color. Paint it, then wipe it off with your finger. Let the paint only go in the cracks. You wouldn't believe how well it seals in and hides. Try to keep original as possible. Vinyl decals just look like shit on this era of game. You cabinet will be more durable and look better touched up.

#136 7 years ago

This is the bad side

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_4.jpeg

#137 7 years ago

Planking for days. there are a ton of bad wood putty fixes on this cab too.

image.jpeg

#138 7 years ago

You should just sand it all down and fix the bad spots then decal.

#139 7 years ago

Does anyone know of a good paint pen that won't run when being cleared? I know alcohol based ones are out.

#140 7 years ago

Anybody want/need an original Phantom of the Opera owner's manual with fold-out schematics? $10 + shipping. PM me.

#141 7 years ago

No just spot touchup . Its easier to do, and looks good when done. There is no such thing as a paint pen that does run from clear. I've tried them all.

#142 7 years ago

I'll take some of my airbrush paint and rub it in to spot touch up, then cover in clear. I'm not stressing about the texture of the wood grain showing through. To be honest, it kind of fits with the table theme. The red is not a true red. I think it may have a bit of fluorescence to it so I will have to find a close mix. I found some gold paint, but may have to add a drop of black to tone it down. Just waiting till my dad fixes his truck so I can move the cab from my living room to his basement workshop so I can do the bondo work and heavy sanding there

#143 7 years ago

Going in on a bulk order with my buddy who has a bunch of pins on playfield glass since this one was scratched and had a few cracks

#144 7 years ago

Hey Pinheads. I wanted to share what I've done to my first pin POTO. Been speaking with JBoner a while about it. I bought it 2 months ago and it was very dirty and trashed. It was covered in black grime, filthy, not sure if it was ever cleaned in 25 years, and had original rubbers. I bought it from the Asheville Pinball Museum and it had a million hours of brutal play on it just from there. This was my first restoration project and first pin which is now finished and I'm happy with it. I will share what I did. There were dozens of areas on the PF worn down to the wood. Here is a link to a short video I did for myself, but I'll share it here.

IMG_20151003_170036.jpgIMG_20151003_160030.jpgIMG_20151003_132458.jpgIMG_20151003_160145.jpgIMG_20151003_124021.jpgIMG_20151004_122917.jpgIMG_20151011_192007.jpgIMG_20150927_133626.jpg

#145 7 years ago

Some dumbass put extra long bulbs under the Phantom face and melted it through in 4 places.
IMG_20150927_160054.jpgIMG_20150927_160112.jpg
You can see on the brim of his hat where it is bulging and burned through. There is melted bulb glass which you can see on front side.
IMG_20150927_160258.jpg

IMG_20150929_135002.jpg

#146 7 years ago

I wasnt going to clear coat this playfield or remove Mylar. So I hand painted all the areas and used tracing paper to do etchings with pencil where there was no mylar and cut out shapes and applied to all areas of the playfield where the ball rolls. I got it from Marcos and I really liked that stuff.

Repainted Skulls
IMG_20151008_221350.jpg
IMG_20151008_221408.jpg

Hand painted gold work. Cant even tell it was damaged. The paint was all gone to the wood under both flippers too.
IMG_20151006_120642.jpg

Rings around bumpers repainted Gold, black, and red. Pain in the ass, but looks nice. Now those areas have Mylar going all the way around in a ring. Never lose it again. Terrible pain in the ass, but had to be done.
IMG_20151025_231743.jpg

#147 7 years ago

I replaced all bulbs with Comet Pinball LED's "Comfort Bright LED's". I put two red ones in the Phantom's eyes on the backglass and it really looks cooler. I cleaned inside each PF insert with a Q-tip dipped in 91% alcohol. It brought them to life! They were black inside. The Comfort Brights brought the true colors out of the inserts where they were bland versions of their original colors. Here, the T is LED and the others incandescent. The whites seemed orange before. The pic doesn't really show the real difference in person. It was night and day.
IMG_20151031_212054.jpg

All LED'd Out
I recommend the Comfort Brights for inserts, but they seemed to be just a little bit too dim for GI. It still works, but I don't recommend Comforts in the pop bumpers..they need something brighter. Overall, game looks amazing. I added my own printer version of the targets and Magic Mirror. The magic mirror is the phantom in the mirror on the backglass. These were printed on gloss paper, cut out, glued on with epoxy and covered in Mylar. They're indestructible and look great.
IMG_20151031_204029.jpg
IMG_20151031_204114.jpgIMG_20151105_101825.jpgIMG_20151031_204131.jpg

IMG_20151105_101033.jpg

#148 7 years ago

Amazing work!

#149 7 years ago

Thank you! Took me 2 months!

#150 7 years ago

Those comet comfort brights look great in the inserts! It's def what I am using for them. I'm going with cointaker retros for the GI and pop bumpers, and the rest are all gonna be comets. Not sure how the super brights will look in the backbox. That's the one part that concerns me is getting hot spots there, or showing the phantoms under face too much

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Irmo, SC
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Truckee, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 1,155 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phantom-of-the-opera-restoration/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.