Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
phantom_of_opera_pinball_003.jpg
phantom_of_opera_pinball_002.jpg
phantom_of_opera_pinball_001.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I've never played POTO, but I am thinking about buying this one. Evidently it has been in the same house for at least 10 years, and is in excellent condition. Is it fun? What would be a good price?
Thanks

phantom_of_opera_pinball_001.jpgphantom_of_opera_pinball_001.jpg phantom_of_opera_pinball_002.jpgphantom_of_opera_pinball_002.jpg phantom_of_opera_pinball_003.jpgphantom_of_opera_pinball_003.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Eh, it's ok. The art and sounds are really cool but the gameplay didn't do it for me. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I wouldn't pay more than 1400 for one in nice shape if you want to make sure you can get your money back out of it. Check the playfield for wear at the edges of the mylar and especially the outlanes below the flippers - that area normally gets trashed

#3 10 years ago

I've only played the virtual pin, to hear the audio and get a general understanding of the layout. The theme was something I thought my wife might like, but the gameplay (virtual, fwiw...) definitely made it seem less than fun to play. If it was treated to a complete audio update then at least it would have two things going for it

#4 10 years ago

Put a pinball pro sub an back box speakers into one and it really stands out. If dialed in it can be a winner. I won't comment on price because I am an owner but I will say they are a tough pin to find in good shape. As a buyer you want to look out for wear on the cab, playfield and make sure the organ mech is working properly. You also want to check boards for burned GI connectors and other creative hacks as you would/should any other pin.

#5 10 years ago

Sold mine last year to a fellow Pinsider for $1400.00.
The backglass looks better than mine did. (and that's the tough piece to find) But I did a a lot of work to mine before it was sold.

Can't see from your pics, but you want to see the wear between the flippers.
Also, the ball-catch under the organ door.
And you can see the "magic mirror" in the center is either stuck up, or missing.
Cabinet looks about like mine did too, before I touched it up.

Artwork & sounds are great.

Personally... I wouldn't go above $800.00 on that one. (maybe a tad more or less depending on playability).

Here's photos of some of mine during tear-down and after touch-ups. (none to playfield)

http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/album/CjpFxDj7XtY

#6 10 years ago

I have one and love it, one of my favorites, but I also like alot of pins people frown upon

#7 10 years ago

This is one of my all time favorite games but it isn't the deepest or most insane pinball machine ever made or anything. I just happen to enjoy it very much dating back to the early 90s when I played it a ton.

They are very difficult to come across in some areas, and $1400 is a very fair price for one in my opinion. My friend sold his last one (and the only one I've seen in this area for sale) for $2200 and it needed shopped pretty badly. I have one on the way to me via freight right now as we speak. I traded a sega Frankenstein for it and paid to have it shipped out here from New Jersey.

#8 10 years ago

Good artwork, average game.

#9 10 years ago

Overall condition is important but is completely up to your standards of what is acceptable. Phantom is really a hard title to come by. Playfield wear (as stated in previous posts) around the edge of the mylar, wear around the outlane switch holes, etc.

I personally wouldnt pass on any Phantom of the Opera purchase (various conditions) if the price was right and you were happy with it.

The biggest deal besides the playfield is the backglass, as it was screened on both sides and the front is typically damaged.

The backglass on your potential purchase looks very good.

Good luck with your POTO.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks all for the info. We'll see.

#11 10 years ago

I bought mine based on theme and have been pleasantly surprised by the fun of it. Getting the multiball jackpot is a good challenge. Good luck ever getting more than one jackpot in a multiball.

If you end up buying this game, send me a PM. The mask on the backglass of mine is almost all worn off and I want to try to fix it (which would require a good picture of a nice backglass like that one). Thanks!

#12 10 years ago

Artwork, theme and sound package do it for me. I sold a HUO in amazing shape for 2200 a few months back. Kind of wished I kept it.

#13 10 years ago

You have already heard about looking for wear.... This game wears incredibly easy. Check between the roll-over lanes and in front of the targets (scorpions and grass hoppers). This game is one of the most beautiful machines ever made IMO. The music and sound is fantastic. As other have said, not a deep game...but a ton of fun for beginner (and seasons) pinball players.
That magic mirror in the middle is a concern. That is one of the HARDEST pieces to find in all of pinball! I have found the decals...but never the metal mirror OR the spring behind it.

I don't know about the pricing on this one....but I believe it to be a 1600$ to 1800$ pin (CONDITION DEPENDING)!!! It is fun, it is rare and it is beautiful.

Then again. what do I know? I don't care about getting "my money back". I bought mine because it was hard to find and I love the theme, art package and sound. These are all only worth what you want to pay for it and how bad you want it!

1 month later
#14 10 years ago

I'm a little late on this but anyway... I probably overpaid corvair a little for his, but the wife fell in love with it and it was in superb shape... The magic mirror definitely looks like it is there in the picture, just flipped up, so don't worry about that... The spring pushes it back down. My spring was snapped and but I was able to find a workaround. Different spring, stretched a little, etc. I still love the game, plays completely different from my Bad Cats.

1 year later
#15 8 years ago

I am desperately in search for the mechanisms to keep the magic mirror down on top of needing a replacement sound board for Phantom of the Opera. Any updates/thoughts for up to date places that could trade or sell these impossible to find items? I know that marco and bigger name places are out of stock. Hoping somewhere exists that has some! Picture is the machine in need.

image.jpgimage.jpg

2 years later
#16 6 years ago

Has anybody ever come across a playfield in good condition?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phantom-of-the-opera-poto-buying-advice?hl=spikedbat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.