(Topic ID: 194908)

Phantom of the Opera Club - Owners and fans welcome!

By SilverUnicorn

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

87F32099-4FBB-4ED7-914C-9211631A0661 (resized).jpeg
39A46DE2-B92C-4966-B8D2-AA6FD2382E08 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0180 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0130 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0130 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0129 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0128 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0135 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1638 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8001 (resized).jpeg
output_image1694567056178 (resized).jpeg
large (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider silverunicorn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I have always loved Phantom of the Opera. I know it's not a deep pin, but the art and sound packages are phenominal for the era. Or any era for that matter. After 30 years of collecting, I finally got one! Anyone else have an appreciation for this unsung Data East title? Share your thoughts!

DSCF1045 (resized).JPGDSCF1045 (resized).JPG

DSCF1046 (resized).JPGDSCF1046 (resized).JPG

DSCF1047 (resized).JPGDSCF1047 (resized).JPG

DSCF1062 (resized).JPGDSCF1062 (resized).JPG

DSCF1061 (resized).JPGDSCF1061 (resized).JPG

DSCF1078 (resized).JPGDSCF1078 (resized).JPG

DSCF1077 (resized).JPGDSCF1077 (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

You have to do a "figure eight" to both sides of the center rubbers in order to keep the
flyaway door from sticking.

Really? I will have to look into that. I haven't had any issues with that flyaway door, and the rubbers on mine are not in a figure 8. Interesting tip though should it become an issue!

Thanks!
Chris

2 weeks later
#29 6 years ago

I would be interested in a decal set and plastics set. I do see plastic sets on Ebay fairly available though, so I don't know if those are really in demand? Not sure.

Chris

#32 6 years ago

I would be interested in a backglass, as mine had significantly more flaking than I originally realized

Or maybe someone can make some fort of mask decal or overlay?

Chris

5 months later
#68 6 years ago

Has anyone removed the Mylar on their Phantom? I am wondering if it pull the art like the other era System 11 Williams machines.

My mylar is kind of dull and I tried my polishing kit but it didn't do much.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

#74 6 years ago

OK, thanks for the replies

Looks like the mylar is staying!!!

Chris

#76 6 years ago

Has anyone else installed Cliffy's Magic Mirror replacement? I got mine installed last night and it seems to get hung up on the rubbers on the side of it.

Anyone else experience this? Maybe I have the wrong size rubbers on the sides? The old one had no issues.
The product itself is fantastic, but I can't figure why this one hangs up and the old one didn't.

Some before / after pics as well.

beforebefore
afterafter

beforebefore
afterafter

after angle 1after angle 1
after angle 2after angle 2

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Does the new assembly come with everything, stand, flap, sticker and spring? I got in contact with Cliffys and ordered myself one.

Yes, it come with everything, pre-assembled.

Quoted from Magicchiz:

My original one does get csught akso. I read somewhere tgat if you figure 8 the rubbers it doesnt get stuck. Havent tried it yet.
Magicchiz

Hmmmm, I guess I can try that.

Quoted from jboner1058:

Are you using silicone or just plain rubber? Silicone is less stretchy and has a tighter fit. Maybe that will work

I am using plain rubber rings.

Chris

2 weeks later
#84 6 years ago

The rubbers I had on th eposts were too big. They fit, but owed "outward" making the mirror gare stick. I put smaller rubbers which streched the gap more and it is fine now.

Chris

#104 6 years ago

Maybe Freeplay40 can do the subway?

Chris

#105 6 years ago

If you need the Magic Mirror subway, check here. He said he could make them but never had anyone interested.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/40#post-4277827

Chris

1 month later
#132 5 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Does anyone else get a loud pop when they power down? Im getting the red flasher tower on the left of the playfield making a popping sound when I power off the machine. wonder if i have a short somewhere.

I don't recall anythign like that on power down. I have a coil fire on startup but it doesn't stay on and hasn't been an issue.

Chris

9 months later
#212 5 years ago
Quoted from BroncoXXXII:

I just purchased a POTO pin and am excited to get it back to original. I keep reading about Cliffy and his magic mirror replacement. I need to add the magic mirror to my play field. Can someone please hook me up with Cliffy and how I can get one of his units?

www.passionforpinball.com is his site.

The magic mirror assembly isn't on the site (in the sale section, but there are pics), but email him and I bet he'll have more available.

Chris

5 months later
#248 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

The Back glass does not look that bad. It's a dark photo hard to see it. The Phantom mask has a few scratches on it.

Quoted from Darscot:

I’ve seen much worse masks than on that backglass. Check the gold paint on the playfield.

As they said, that doesn't look so bad based on the photo. the mask on that one may have some scratches, but it is much better than mine. On a side note there is a Pinside that made a decal if the mask were missing. He is also making the gold outlines around the scoring inserts.

Chris

#250 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Has any purchased the mask decal and installed it?

I have one but have not installed it. My glass is missing some of the mask, but not enough for me to want to replace it yet.

It seems like it is good quality. Not the same as the silkscreened glass, but I think it is nice, does let light through similarly, and it would be good if your entire mask or even id large parts were missing.

Chris

1 month later
#266 4 years ago
Quoted from MG7322:

Attacked the mask decal install. Lots of arts and crafts to cut out the mask but it was not that difficult in the end. It does have transparency so the flashers do show the face behind the mask. A+[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good! It's is the only option at this point for those whose mask is gone. I bought one of these replacements so if I ever get the gumption to do mine, but it's not worn enough to warrant it (yet).

Chris

7 months later
#302 4 years ago

My Phantom turns 30 this week. I may need to throw it a party. By myself of course.

Chris

585612A4-5581-4D89-8B4F-56EE925C2130 (resized).jpeg585612A4-5581-4D89-8B4F-56EE925C2130 (resized).jpeg

3 weeks later
#314 3 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

OK, i have to say.... Installing these is a major PITA!!! But looks awesome afterwards.[quoted image][quoted image]

The ones for POTO are easy compared to Breakshot. Looks great! Where did you get the decals for youe stand-up targets? I like those.

Chris

#317 3 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

Ok, so 2 weeks later I finally got mine back to cleaned, repaired, LED'ed, and adjusted condition. Was so stoked to get to play it again after the tear down.
-repaired/replaced handfull of coils, switches that were in need.
- Sealed the rear of the backglass (even though the front phantom mask is good now, i can see that it will start to fall apart soon.)
-cleaned up acid damage on main board
- Installed Titan rubber (wow! what a difference) Inverted the Rubber/Post colors, Black posts with Red rubbers. IMHO it came out super sweet looking.
- Installed Comet LEDs (beautiful! great product and service!)
- Installed Cliffy Mirror and hole protectors
- Repaired and adjusted organ (will need a new motor soon)
- Replaced stock DE flippers with "Boney" Flippers
Still have a handfull of things I need to do.
- sling shot flutter
- Pop bumpers are firing but not scoring
- Reattach score display (drooping)
PLus i took a crap load of pictures before, during, and after. So if anyone has any reference questions just reach out.
Like its been said several times.... its not a deep game, but it has its own challenges. Plus its freaking beautiful to look at!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good! I really like the black post / red rummer combo! Unique and fits the theme really well.

I should really tear into mine. The flippers are a little sloppy and it needs a proper shop out anyway. Maybe I need to order some new posts. LOL.

Oh, and CLEARLY I am not too observant because I do in fact have the same decals on my POTO targets. :/

Chris

#323 3 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

Basically....... I like it

And that is what matters. I am not a fan of the purple either, but hey, it's not MY machine

Seems that when you get a kit from CoinTaker, they have some obsession with Purple. every kit I have gotten has purple where I don't feel it should be (and never was purple before). That's the thing about kits though.

Enjoy your machine! Nice resto, purple or not. LOL

Chris

3 weeks later
#327 3 years ago
Quoted from truemagoo102:

Hey as I'm putting the playfield all back together I noticed that there was a TON of BEAUTIFUL art that's buried - any thought into making a clear catwalk ramp? I'm sure freeplay40 might be interested, it's a pretty simple ramp to make a mold of. Or a red ramp with a clear bottom? Just such a shame that there's an entire plastic (of a badass phantom playing violin of all things) you don't see, along with the underground river!!!

Right?! I never realized there was so much blue on the playfield! The art you CAN see is great, but the art you CANT see really pops!!

Chris

5 months later
#361 3 years ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Nice!
I’m guessing the center post between my flippers is an operator addition as I didn’t see it in the part list in the manual or in any pictures I’ve seen of the playfield
Anyone know where to find the metal ball guides for the in lanes, or if the modern plastic DE/Stern guides will work? Mine are beat to hell.

I got these and love them. http://www.passionforpinball.com/FlipFrames.htm

Chris

2 months later
#408 3 years ago

To those who have put LED"s in the backbox......what did you use They are WAY too bright (or so I think) at least in the Phantom face area. I may move those back to incandescent but leave the other LED's in.

Just wondering what you have in yours.

2 weeks later
#413 3 years ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Ok so this is probably stupid but...
I have my game set on freeplay. The display always shows "Credit 1", is there a way or something in the settings to make it say "Free Play" instead, or were we just not there yet for 1990? haha
My buddy keeps chirping me when he's over playing and keeps asking why I doesn't just say Freeplay. I'd like to change it if possible, so he can get a good night sleep :p

I think it says 1 credit because you either matched or hit a replay score. Once you use those up I think it says Free Play. Mine does anyway. Or maybe I am mixed up?

Chris

3 months later
#429 2 years ago
Quoted from PurpleTophat:

Total noob question here. I’ve never rebuilt flippers before but my Phantom is in desperate need. Can’t even make it up the catwalk ramp. I bought left and right rebuild kits but I don’t know what I am doing. Anyone know of a good tutorial or video that shows step by step how to rebuild these flippers? I also have some new gold bats and bat toppers from pinball decals to install which should look pretty sweet!

Vid's guide has a lot of good information:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

Chris

1 month later
#441 2 years ago

Well, I sold my Phantom at the Allentown show. SOrry to be out of the club but on to another machine I suppose

I have an unopened CPR plastics set if anyone needs it. $169 on their site, but I'd sell for $125 shipped to the continental USA.

Thanks
Chris

7 months later
#448 2 years ago

No longer have my POTO but have these plastics available.

Unopened CPR plastics set.

$125 shipped continental USA.

Thanks
Chris

plastics1 (resized).jpgplastics1 (resized).jpgplastics2 (resized).jpgplastics2 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#454 1 year ago

I have a full set of unused CPR plastics for PoTO if anyone is interested.

$75 shipped in the continental US.

Chris

#455 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I have a full set of unused CPR plastics for PoTO if anyone is interested.
$75 shipped in the continental US.
Chris

These are sold.

1 month later
#458 1 year ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Last information I had CPR was asking for people that was possibly interested on buying one. Are they producing one?

Yes it is available on their site now.

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/poto/

Chris

6 months later
#488 1 year ago
Quoted from almo:

Finally finished the video editing of my poto
6 months in 5 minutes (hard to compress ^^)
https://odysee.com/@almotv:e/PhantomPinball:f?r=DwtNKiPsgUrPRFm9NQk3X9EnUo5XyW3J

Wow. Amazing work!

Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider silverunicorn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phantom-of-the-opera-club-owners-and-fans-welcome?tu=silverunicorn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.