(Topic ID: 194908)

Phantom of the Opera Club - Owners and fans welcome!

By SilverUnicorn

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

87F32099-4FBB-4ED7-914C-9211631A0661 (resized).jpeg
39A46DE2-B92C-4966-B8D2-AA6FD2382E08 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0180 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0130 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0130 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0129 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0128 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0135 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1638 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8001 (resized).jpeg
output_image1694567056178 (resized).jpeg
large (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 538 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 11.
#401 3 years ago

I didn’t even know that could happen! Yeah I’m interested in that as well

Quoted from Darscot:

I think I have the same pop bumper lights but can't remember where I got them, probably Pinball Life they have a few different types. I have the sounds or vibration activated ones.
I want to know if those are DIY speaker lights or a kit from somewhere?
Those ramp protectors are a great idea, the ramp that is on mine is cracked but I have a spare. When the current ramp finally bites it I'll get a set of those for my good ramp.

#402 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I think I have the same pop bumper lights but can't remember where I got them, probably Pinball Life they have a few different types. I have the sounds or vibration activated ones.
I want to know if those are DIY speaker lights or a kit from somewhere?
Those ramp protectors are a great idea, the ramp that is on mine is cracked but I have a spare. When the current ramp finally bites it I'll get a set of those for my good ramp.

These are actually DIY speaker lights I used LED light strips. The pop bumper lights I bought from Comet Pinball.

#403 3 years ago
Quoted from Seanlaughlin:

Do you have a link to the lights from your pop bumpers?
Also what playfield protector did you use?

The playfield protector was purchased from playfieldprotectors.com in Germany and the pop bumper lights from Comet Pinball.

#404 3 years ago

Thank you!

Quoted from Kevster219:

The playfield protector was purchased from playfieldprotectors.com in Germany and the pop bumper lights from Comet Pinball.

#405 3 years ago

Nice. I wondered what the speakers would look like lit up red.

I actually designed some led spacers and 3d printed them for the DE dmd era speakers a couple months back and lit my Last Action Hero and my friends TFtC.

I have a new plastic set to put on my PoTO this weekend so I’ll measure them while I have that million plastic out and see if my print bed is big enough, if so I’ll see if I whip something up.

#406 3 years ago

I don't remember where I got these but recently touched them up and printed a set for my Phantom. Figured I might as well share incase anyone wants them.

poto (resized).jpgpoto (resized).jpg
#407 3 years ago

Anyone in the market for a used phantom glass? I was able to source a NOS glass for my machine..this one has had some touchups to the back side, the red on “Phantom” was repainted, and a new mask and score window decal applied. It is very presentable now and if anyone is interested please PM me.

FC273345-ABE4-45F2-B17C-E9B7145E9B2D (resized).jpegFC273345-ABE4-45F2-B17C-E9B7145E9B2D (resized).jpeg
#408 3 years ago

To those who have put LED"s in the backbox......what did you use They are WAY too bright (or so I think) at least in the Phantom face area. I may move those back to incandescent but leave the other LED's in.

Just wondering what you have in yours.

#409 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

To those who have put LED"s in the backbox......what did you use They are WAY too bright (or so I think) at least in the Phantom face area. I may move those back to incandescent but leave the other LED's in.

I have a couple of LEDs in the eyes, and some LED flashers everything else is incandescent. LED are just two over powering. One day I'll find grab some of those LEDs that are dimmer and swap it over.

2 weeks later
#410 3 years ago

I used a lot of comet warm white 1smd. I also put in a few yellow, orange and red bulbs anywhere it started to get too “hot”. This avoided that “shop lighting” look under the backglass. under the mirror, I put a tower daylight white and it’s perfect for the effect - I kept the eyes incandescent. Anything else is too bright and bleeds too much. Good luck!

#411 3 years ago

I usually use cool whites in all my back boxes. But for Phantom I went with warm white because the wife said it worked better with the theme and art. But I put a couple amber leds in his eyes. Makes a cool effect during the game over sequence.

#412 3 years ago

Ok so this is probably stupid but...

I have my game set on freeplay. The display always shows "Credit 1", is there a way or something in the settings to make it say "Free Play" instead, or were we just not there yet for 1990? haha

My buddy keeps chirping me when he's over playing and keeps asking why I doesn't just say Freeplay. I'd like to change it if possible, so he can get a good night sleep :p

#413 3 years ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Ok so this is probably stupid but...
I have my game set on freeplay. The display always shows "Credit 1", is there a way or something in the settings to make it say "Free Play" instead, or were we just not there yet for 1990? haha
My buddy keeps chirping me when he's over playing and keeps asking why I doesn't just say Freeplay. I'd like to change it if possible, so he can get a good night sleep :p

I think it says 1 credit because you either matched or hit a replay score. Once you use those up I think it says Free Play. Mine does anyway. Or maybe I am mixed up?

Chris

#414 3 years ago

Mine has never said Free Play it just always shows one or more credits.

#415 3 years ago

Little upgrade....

504359D0-8420-43E0-B360-EBDEB9CA6298 (resized).jpeg504359D0-8420-43E0-B360-EBDEB9CA6298 (resized).jpeg
#416 3 years ago

Another little upgrade...

7098C2E3-6580-432C-A144-1C70D14C0CA3 (resized).jpeg7098C2E3-6580-432C-A144-1C70D14C0CA3 (resized).jpeg
#417 3 years ago

I think it says 1 credit because you either matched or hit a replay score. Once you use those up I think it says Free Play. Mine does anyway. Or maybe I am mixed up?
Chris

Yeah if you match or get a high a score it adds the appropriate credits but will go back to “Credit 1” after a minute or two in attract mode.

Quoted from Darscot:

Mine has never said Free Play it just always shows one or more credits.

ok good to know. I assume they just hadn’t implemented that yet. I guess I’ll forever be chirped for it whenever we play. Haha

2 months later
#418 2 years ago

So I emailed the good folks at Pinsound about if they were planning on releasing a Pinsound board for Phantom. They told me that they are working on it! Woot! This was months ago and I followed up again but didn’t hear back. Anyone know anything about it? My wife is so damn excited at the possibility of having Andrew Lloyd Webber music and such in this game. I have to admit, it would be pretty awesome.

#419 2 years ago

They’ve been saying this for YEARS. Don’t hold your breath. I’m considering using a wav trigger device to pipe some ALW in mine.

Quoted from PurpleTophat:

So I emailed the good folks at Pinsound about if they were planning on releasing a Pinsound board for Phantom. They told me that they are working on it! Woot! This was months ago and I followed up again but didn’t hear back. Anyone know anything about it? My wife is so damn excited at the possibility of having Andrew Lloyd Webber music and such in this game. I have to admit, it would be pretty awesome.

2 weeks later
#420 2 years ago

Hey gang. I recently picked up a DOA POTO and have been able to get it mostly going. The one issue left is basically eternal multiball, it starts happening about 20 seconds into game play, just keeps kicking out another ball every 20 seconds or so. All the trough switches seem to be working fine otherwise as I can tell. Anyone run into this specific issue?

#421 2 years ago
Quoted from Nw55555:

Hey gang. I recently picked up a DOA POTO and have been able to get it mostly going. The one issue left is basically eternal multiball, it starts happening about 20 seconds into game play, just keeps kicking out another ball every 20 seconds or so. All the trough switches seem to be working fine otherwise as I can tell. Anyone run into this specific issue?

Maybe check the switches in the lock. Sounds like it’s being trigger and the game is kicking out the second ball.
Before the next ball is kicked out does the game play the locked ball effects and say anything on the display?

#422 2 years ago

Oh good point, Ill check the lock, but I haven’t noticed anything related to mb on displays. I’m not terribly familiar with gameplay but I do understand how locks/mb work. Worth a shot! Thanks!

#423 2 years ago
Quoted from Nw55555:

Oh good point, Ill check the lock, but I haven’t noticed anything related to mb on displays. I’m not terribly familiar with gameplay but I do understand how locks/mb work. Worth a shot! Thanks!

Shot to the organ locks first ball. Second shot to the organ locks second ball, and I believe the display should then read “save the girl”. Then his the organ a third time in multiball and get the big “JACKPOT” fanfare.

#424 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

Shot to the organ locks first ball. Second shot to the organ locks second ball, and I believe the display should then read “save the girl”. Then his the organ a third time in multiball and get the big “JACKPOT” fanfare.

Ok... so stand up target switches are causing the extra balls to kick into shooter lane, pretty much every time.

#425 2 years ago
Quoted from Nw55555:

Ok... so stand up target switches are causing the extra balls to kick into shooter lane, pretty much every time.

ok.... that is a weird one.

#426 2 years ago

I find it amusing that the art on this machine is very well done, except they gave the blonde buzzie on the back glass severe frostbite on her foot...

1 week later
#427 2 years ago

I’m not entirely unhappy with this.... I’m not thrilled either. It was from wish. Com. When it came my wife said “are you new? You’ve never heard of how bad wish is?”.

The quality isn’t great but.... it fits

E0DC6938-08AB-4DED-A4B3-75C575BD5A7D (resized).jpegE0DC6938-08AB-4DED-A4B3-75C575BD5A7D (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#428 2 years ago

Total noob question here. I’ve never rebuilt flippers before but my Phantom is in desperate need. Can’t even make it up the catwalk ramp. I bought left and right rebuild kits but I don’t know what I am doing. Anyone know of a good tutorial or video that shows step by step how to rebuild these flippers? I also have some new gold bats and bat toppers from pinball decals to install which should look pretty sweet!

#429 2 years ago

Total noob question here. I’ve never rebuilt flippers before but my Phantom is in desperate need. Can’t even make it up the catwalk ramp. I bought left and right rebuild kits but I don’t know what I am doing. Anyone know of a good tutorial or video that shows step by step how to rebuild these flippers? I also have some new gold bats and bat toppers from pinball decals to install which should look pretty sweet!

Vid's guide has a lot of good information:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

Chris

#431 2 years ago

Just curious if any of you are stocking up on spare parts and if you’ve come across any online that aren’t the obvious ones (Marco etc). I’ve got some backup decals, an organ motor, and such. The ramps cracking is a fear of mine but so far, I’ve been pretty lucky with finding what I need.

#432 2 years ago
Quoted from Seanlaughlin:

Just curious if any of you are stocking up on spare parts and if you’ve come across any online that aren’t the obvious ones (Marco etc). I’ve got some backup decals, an organ motor, and such. The ramps cracking is a fear of mine but so far, I’ve been pretty lucky with finding what I need.

I have a saved search on ebay in case something pops up that i think I should snatch up. But doesnt get much traffic.

#433 2 years ago

My ramp is cracked, I found a replacement but my ramp is still perfectly functional so I haven't swapped it. In general I keep an eye out for parts if I find something in better shape I grab it and then usually move my old stuff to someone that can use it. The ramp is the only thing I am hording because I know if I swap in the new ramp I will end up cracking it as I do play mine a lot.

1 week later
#434 2 years ago

I’m fixing up a friend’s recently purchased POTO with LED lights and installing pin score display since the bottom screen on the original one doesn’t work. Got that all done and started troubleshooting a weak right flipper and found out that the linkage wasn’t tight and fixed that. Claiming victory, I decided to start a game so I could verify everything was working and the game said a pinball was missing even though all three were present in the trough. I found out that trough #2 wasn’t working so I changed out the micro switch since it wouldn’t register in the witch test. That didn’t fix it so I found out that all the switches in the row do t work either. After I ran down the switch row, I found a white wire that was disconnected I think from switch 44, right super VUK. I think the wires on the switch are in pairs so I think that is the problem. Here is a picture of it and the switch and I wanted to verify with y’all before I break out the soldering iron.

9B2BF40C-CA2C-49B3-A741-59F29FB6D6AE (resized).jpeg9B2BF40C-CA2C-49B3-A741-59F29FB6D6AE (resized).jpeg
#435 2 years ago

I will be leaving the club soon. If anyone knows someone looking for a nice POTO, please message me.

Fully shopped last year with: flippers rebuilt, new flipper buttons, new power supply, titan rubbers in red, comet LED warm whites in GI and color matched for inserts, backglass is in great shape, with the added mask decal. Looking for $3500.

I'll be posting an ad in the marketplace later this week after I take some pics.

Thanks!

#436 2 years ago

Oh, and I forgot, also added was a new LED score display.

#437 2 years ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

I’m fixing up a friend’s recently purchased POTO with LED lights and installing pin score display since the bottom screen on the original one doesn’t work. Got that all done and started troubleshooting a weak right flipper and found out that the linkage wasn’t tight and fixed that. Claiming victory, I decided to start a game so I could verify everything was working and the game said a pinball was missing even though all three were present in the trough. I found out that trough #2 wasn’t working so I changed out the micro switch since it wouldn’t register in the witch test. That didn’t fix it so I found out that all the switches in the row do t work either. After I ran down the switch row, I found a white wire that was disconnected I think from switch 44, right super VUK. I think the wires on the switch are in pairs so I think that is the problem. Here is a picture of it and the switch and I wanted to verify with y’all before I break out the soldering iron.
[quoted image]

I figured it out. There was a break in the wire from a bundle that goes along back far back right of the game. I spliced it, soldered the two ends together and wrapped in electrical tape and all is well!

#438 2 years ago

Another stupid noob question if anyone can help! Was going to attempt my first flipper rebuild before my daughter’s birthday party tomorrow but work got crazy and I ran out of time.

My POTO is in pretty good shape overall but the flippers are just a tad weak. Can’t make the catwalk ramp unless you hit it juuuuust right and even then just barely. Do these Data East machines have any sort of flipper strength setting I could tweak or is it rebuild the flippers for sure at this point? Just trying to figure how to get them stronger by 2:00 tomorrow!

Thanks!

#439 2 years ago

These were the first machine with solid state flippers. So I don’t think there’s a dial for strength. Best I can recommend is clean/replace the sleeve?

Good luck

Another stupid noob question if anyone can help! Was going to attempt my first flipper rebuild before my daughter’s birthday party tomorrow but work got crazy and I ran out of time.
My POTO is in pretty good shape overall but the flippers are just a tad weak. Can’t make the catwalk ramp unless you hit it juuuuust right and even then just barely. Do these Data East machines have any sort of flipper strength setting I could tweak or is it rebuild the flippers for sure at this point? Just trying to figure how to get them stronger by 2:00 tomorrow!
Thanks!

#440 2 years ago

I actually bought flipper rebuild kit for my POTO from pinball spare parts in Melbourne, which I keep in my POTO spares drawer….If I can get them here in good old oz, then one of your many suppliers in the good old U S of A must have them..good luck with the search..

1 week later
#441 2 years ago

Well, I sold my Phantom at the Allentown show. SOrry to be out of the club but on to another machine I suppose

I have an unopened CPR plastics set if anyone needs it. $169 on their site, but I'd sell for $125 shipped to the continental USA.

Thanks
Chris

#442 2 years ago

Well, I sold my Phantom at the Allentown show. SOrry to be out of the club but on to another machine I suppose
I have an unopened CPR plastics set if anyone needs it. $169 on their site, but I'd sell for $125 shipped to the continental USA.
Thanks
Chris

Damn it. I've been trying to find a good example of this game for years now, and wasn't able to make it to the show. Hope you made out well!

#443 2 years ago

Chris

Just curious…if you don’t mind…… how much did you get for it?

1 week later
#444 2 years ago

SLINGSHOT HELP

Looking to get confirmation if someone can look at their sling switches. On the left we have one of two switches with a capacitor and resistor on it and on the right side sling switch there is nothing but there is solder on the 3rd tab and looks like maybe the remnants of something cut off? Can anybody confirm if each sling should have 1 switch with these components on it? thanks!

EDIT: ...so I got smart and found it in the manual and looks like both should have these, anybody have part #'s? sorry, not so well versed in this yet. thanks

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#445 2 years ago

Thanks
Chris

SilverUnicorn do you have pics of them? Pm me!
Here’s a set I just purchased VS original plastics….no detail on these repops.

70A25CEB-D48F-4F2B-A740-7FFBAAE71B75 (resized).jpeg70A25CEB-D48F-4F2B-A740-7FFBAAE71B75 (resized).jpegBAFAAC98-F9EB-49D9-A079-7B52466369DB (resized).jpegBAFAAC98-F9EB-49D9-A079-7B52466369DB (resized).jpeg
4 months later
#446 2 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Just joined in the club. I'm looking for some pinball cards and I can't seem to find any except the white cards. Anyone design one of their own? Care to share?

Maurizio

2 weeks later
#447 2 years ago

Just saw that pinsound is going to be compatible with phantom finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I’m already pulling music from ALW to mix together. This is exciting news

1 month later
#448 2 years ago

No longer have my POTO but have these plastics available.

Unopened CPR plastics set.

$125 shipped continental USA.

Thanks
Chris

plastics1 (resized).jpgplastics1 (resized).jpgplastics2 (resized).jpgplastics2 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#449 2 years ago

Hey everybody! New to the group, but I've had my POTO for about a year and I love it! I don't understand the people who think it's not. As I said, i've had mine for about a year. Up until recently the only problem I had with it was the potentiometer that controlled volume was bad. honestly, it was like an assault to play because it was SO LOUD! lol. Getting that fixed was wonderful and we really enjoy playing it now. Currently the issue I am having is when you're in two ball multi-ball and you catch one in the organ, it goes into "Kidnap the girl" just fine, however, no matter how often you get the second ball into the organ it does not stop the countdown OR lock the ball. It just launches the first one back into play. So, you never get into 3 ball and get a chance at the jackpot. Any ideas from you wise people who have worked on these?

I will say, I am new to pinball repair work, but I have done some. Just finished getting me ST:TNG back up and running at full, very rewarding and fun!

1 week later
#450 2 years ago
Quoted from mtadams29:

Hey everybody! New to the group, but I've had my POTO for about a year and I love it! I don't understand the people who think it's not. As I said, i've had mine for about a year. Up until recently the only problem I had with it was the potentiometer that controlled volume was bad. honestly, it was like an assault to play because it was SO LOUD! lol. Getting that fixed was wonderful and we really enjoy playing it now. Currently the issue I am having is when you're in two ball multi-ball and you catch one in the organ, it goes into "Kidnap the girl" just fine, however, no matter how often you get the second ball into the organ it does not stop the countdown OR lock the ball. It just launches the first one back into play. So, you never get into 3 ball and get a chance at the jackpot. Any ideas from you wise people who have worked on these?
I will say, I am new to pinball repair work, but I have done some. Just finished getting me ST:TNG back up and running at full, very rewarding and fun!

Sounds like possibly one of the switches in the locks is not activating.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 538 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phantom-of-the-opera-club-owners-and-fans-welcome/page/9?hl=kevster219 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.