(Topic ID: 194908)

Phantom of the Opera Club - Owners and fans welcome!

By SilverUnicorn

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

87F32099-4FBB-4ED7-914C-9211631A0661 (resized).jpeg
39A46DE2-B92C-4966-B8D2-AA6FD2382E08 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0180 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0130 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0130 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0129 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0128 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0135 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1638 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8001 (resized).jpeg
output_image1694567056178 (resized).jpeg
large (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 538 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.
#351 3 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

I got mine from the operator I work for. I guess we sold the game to a customer WAY back in the early/mid 90s. They had it in their house for pretty much all of its life. They traded it back for something else the grandkids would rather want about 7 years ago. So I snatched it up right away when it came in. It then sat in my garage ever since when I took a hiatus from the hobby. Well then covid happened and i got laid off. So I dug it out of the garage and brought it in and went over it. Surprisingly all the was wrong with it was broken wire on a flipper, the stand up banks were working, and the trapdoor vuk was broken.
I fixed the flipper and vuk. But the stand ups seemed to be a board problem, so I threw in my spare driver board (from a parted Turtles) and they all started working again. Then tore it all apart, polished, LEDs, Titans, and she is now ready for the prom lol.
But now lately she has been getting cranky and out of the blue will make a loud nasty noise, fire a few coils and then shut down and reboot. Wont matter if its in a game or sitting in attract. Havent dived too far into it yet, but like i said... might just buy a new PS to fix it and update it.

1 month later
#352 3 years ago

Hey - just joined the club. Picked up a project Poto last weekend.

Just curious has a bulb type/ count list for this game? Trying to make a order to shop

#353 3 years ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Just curious has a bulb type/ count list for this game? Trying to make a order to shop

I would be curious of this as well, as mine that I picked up recently has cool white LEDs in a lot of the GI and it just looks bad on this game! Love this game by the way and even if I ever wanted to sell it, which I don’t, the wife is keeping it forever. Can’t sell the wife’s grail game!

#354 3 years ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Let me check my notes and past Comet orders. I just redid mine a few months back with all LEDs and Titans.

#355 3 years ago

Would love to own one of these one day. Such a cool theme!

#356 3 years ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

I cant find the shot map for the game that I usually will take notes on for the colors I want to use, but my Comet LED order when I did mine was for....
65 - 44/47s and 74 - 555s. Mostly whites, but had various colors mixed in for the inserts. And that number might be +/- give or take since i might have ordered a few bulbs for other games.

Titan order consisted of....
1- shooter tip
2 - Flipper rings standard
9 - 5/16" ID
5 - 1"ID
2 - 2"ID
2 - 7/16"OD
2 - 3/8"OD
4 -2 3/4"ID
9- post sleeves
All in red on black posts. Looks sexy as hell

#357 3 years ago

Awesome thanks!

Found the rubber list in the manual but no bulb count. I did a quick count last night and had roughly the same for 555 and 47.

Know which flashers it uses?

Bit the bullet and just bought a new/used mpu to replace the battery damaged mess that came with it. I just want to get to making it look and play nice again. Made my big dirty pinball life parts order last night as well.

#358 3 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

I cant find the shot map for the game that I usually will take notes on for the colors I want to use, but my Comet LED order when I did mine was for....
65 - 44/47s and 74 - 555s. Mostly whites, but had various colors mixed in for the inserts. And that number might be +/- give or take since i might have ordered a few bulbs for other games.
Titan order consisted of....
1- shooter tip
2 - Flipper rings standard
9 - 5/16" ID
5 - 1"ID
2 - 2"ID
2 - 7/16"OD
2 - 3/8"OD
4 -2 3/4"ID
9- post sleeves
All in red on black posts. Looks sexy as hell

Any pics with the red rubbers?

#359 3 years ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Any pics with the red rubbers?

Here are handful.
Looks not as dark in person.

477F230F-6771-4548-9384-7B8E0A8C513A (resized).jpeg477F230F-6771-4548-9384-7B8E0A8C513A (resized).jpegA9D5C135-4820-4191-BAF1-81DA39E6EC2F (resized).jpegA9D5C135-4820-4191-BAF1-81DA39E6EC2F (resized).jpegC2637C8E-9B95-40EB-81A5-7F89C36A455A (resized).jpegC2637C8E-9B95-40EB-81A5-7F89C36A455A (resized).jpegCE7A6963-9221-47E2-819D-8D0EE970DCC6 (resized).jpegCE7A6963-9221-47E2-819D-8D0EE970DCC6 (resized).jpegD69BFE4B-D040-4D4D-B341-612212301EAB (resized).jpegD69BFE4B-D040-4D4D-B341-612212301EAB (resized).jpegE0473648-D3FB-46DF-BC5C-EA36E58125CA (resized).jpegE0473648-D3FB-46DF-BC5C-EA36E58125CA (resized).jpeg
#360 3 years ago

Nice!

I’m guessing the center post between my flippers is an operator addition as I didn’t see it in the part list in the manual or in any pictures I’ve seen of the playfield

Anyone know where to find the metal ball guides for the in lanes, or if the modern plastic DE/Stern guides will work? Mine are beat to hell.

#361 3 years ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Nice!
I’m guessing the center post between my flippers is an operator addition as I didn’t see it in the part list in the manual or in any pictures I’ve seen of the playfield
Anyone know where to find the metal ball guides for the in lanes, or if the modern plastic DE/Stern guides will work? Mine are beat to hell.

I got these and love them. http://www.passionforpinball.com/FlipFrames.htm

Chris

#362 3 years ago

I listed my fully restored POTO in marketplace if anyone here's looking for an upgrade. I threw a number out due to the extensive amount of work done to the game but I'm willing to negotiate if it's going to a good home.

#363 3 years ago
Quoted from truemagoo102:

I listed my fully restored POTO in marketplace if anyone here's looking for an upgrade. I threw a number out due to the extensive amount of work done to the game but I'm willing to negotiate if it's going to a good home.

Haven’t seen your ad but man that’s awesome. Always loved that game. The music! The backglass mask! The frickin space between the flippers!!!

#364 3 years ago
Quoted from truemagoo102:

Great looking game! Good luck to you.

#365 3 years ago

Here’s our POTO, it also has the center post.

CB61082C-5BF4-4C70-B788-38C61CE9C052 (resized).jpegCB61082C-5BF4-4C70-B788-38C61CE9C052 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#366 3 years ago

Would be interested what you did with your lighting. I just redid the lights with comet LED’s. for the backbox, I used orange and yellow 1 smd with one super bright warm white over the magic mirror for the end of the game light show. I found the warm white LED’s to be too harsh for the Victorian feel of the game. Phantoms eyes are incandescent otherwise it’s too bright and you always see the phantoms face

Everywhere else I used 1smd warm white and kept GI incandescent. It’s a good balance.

Quoted from mad_carl:

Awesome thanks!
Found the rubber list in the manual but no bulb count. I did a quick count last night and had roughly the same for 555 and 47.
Know which flashers it uses?
Bit the bullet and just bought a new/used mpu to replace the battery damaged mess that came with it. I just want to get to making it look and play nice again. Made my big dirty pinball life parts order last night as well.

14FFED49-69AE-4CAB-A688-9A57CA31A625 (resized).jpeg14FFED49-69AE-4CAB-A688-9A57CA31A625 (resized).jpeg
#367 3 years ago

Did you ever figure this one out?

Quoted from Ceckitti:

I got mine from the operator I work for. I guess we sold the game to a customer WAY back in the early/mid 90s. They had it in their house for pretty much all of its life. They traded it back for something else the grandkids would rather want about 7 years ago. So I snatched it up right away when it came in. It then sat in my garage ever since when I took a hiatus from the hobby. Well then covid happened and i got laid off. So I dug it out of the garage and brought it in and went over it.
Surprisingly all the was wrong with it was broken wire on a flipper, the stand up banks were working, and the trapdoor vuk was broken.
I fixed the flipper and vuk. But the stand ups seemed to be a board problem, so I threw in my spare driver board (from a parted Turtles) and they all started working again.
Then tore it all apart, polished, LEDs, Titans, and she is now ready for the prom lol.
But now lately she has been getting cranky and out of the blue will make a loud nasty noise, fire a few coils and then shut down and reboot. Wont matter if its in a game or sitting in attract. Havent dived too far into it yet, but like i said... might just buy a new PS to fix it and update it.

#368 3 years ago
Quoted from Seanlaughlin:

Did you ever figure this one out?

If you are referring to shutting down issue... i have not. It hadnt done it pretty much at all since that post until last week when it did something similar. And then it hasnt done it again since. Im assuming the power is dropping down at points? Havent had the time to take the board out and check.

#369 3 years ago

Would be interested what you did with your lighting.
[quoted image]

I put Comet "fire" LEDs in the 2 candle inserts next to the Phantom in the center of the playfield. Gives an awesome effect.

#370 3 years ago

Your suggestion gave me an idea. I have a couple of comet “fire” LED bayonets lying around and put them under the organ and then put another one in the slot directly behind the organ and it’s a great chandelier effect. Since the chandelier is showing on top of people in the decal, it looks like the tragedy is unfolding. I like it a lot... wish I could upload a video of it

Quoted from Ceckitti:

I put Comet "fire" LEDs in the 2 candle inserts next to the Phantom in the center of the playfield. Gives an awesome effect.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#371 3 years ago

Your suggestion gave me an idea. I have a couple of comet “fire” LED bayonets lying around and put them under the organ and then put another one in the slot directly behind the organ and it’s a great chandelier effect. Since the chandelier is showing on top of people in the decal, it looks like the tragedy is unfolding. I like it a lot... wish I could upload a video of it
[quoted image]

good idea, would love to see it. ill try to get a video of mine and post it.

1 week later
#372 3 years ago

I like to play in a dark room but Phantom is so flashy I thought I would try some DIY pin stadiums. Cost me about $25 USD and about an hour. I’m not sure though, it is much easier to see and no longer seizure inducing. I ordered a dimmer with remote for $5 to see if that helps. Anyone have any ideas to even out the flashing.

F95351B6-8CAB-4688-A082-190E493619EC (resized).jpegF95351B6-8CAB-4688-A082-190E493619EC (resized).jpeg
#373 3 years ago

The wife and I are looking to get a set of the RetroRefubs side blades for this machine but we can’t decide if we want the red curtains or the curtains with the gold pillars. Both look super cool, and in my opinion way better than any others on the market, but it’s tough to choose between the two. Does anybody have pics of their machine with either of these installed? I’d love to be able to see both in a machine to compare them!

#374 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I like to play in a dark room but Phantom is so flashy I thought I would try some DIY pin stadiums. Cost me about $25 USD and about an hour. I’m not sure though, it is much easier to see and no longer seizure inducing. I ordered a dimmer with remote for $5 to see if that helps. Anyone have any ideas to even out the flashing.
[quoted image]

I am not trolling at all when I say this, but: step 1) Remove the pinstadium, step 2) Order lower brightness flashers from Comet

#375 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I am not trolling at all when I say this, but: step 1) Remove the pinstadium, step 2) Order lower brightness flashers from Comet

Have you ever played the pin? It’s a surprise to no one that DE can be flashy. I have incandescent flashers. Does comet make magic flashers that provide light when they are not lit? The GI flashes alternately with the flashers during jackpots. Thus the playfield goes pitch black when the flashers fire. I added the DIY pin stadiums wired as a constant source of light. Obviously the DIY is I am unsure and looking for alternatives and may remove them. Your not the brightest bulb are you?

#376 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Have you ever played the pin? It’s a surprise to no one that DE can be flashy. I have incandescent flashers. Does comet make magic flashers that provide light when they are not lit? The GI flashes alternately with the flashers during jackpots. Thus the playfield goes pitch black when the flashers fire. I added the DIY pin stadiums wired as a constant source of light. Obviously the DIY is I am unsure and looking for alternatives and may remove them. Your not the brightest bulb are you?

That game is brutal during Jackpots. When I hit one I just hope and pray that the balls are near the flippers so I can trap them until the game stops its lightshow. Cant count how many times Ive drained because if the combination of being blinded by the flashers and then not seeing anything at all LOL.

#377 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

LOL I See what you did there. Cheers, dude, have another one on me

#378 3 years ago

Was looking up the average price for POTO on pinballprices.com
Interesting to see a sharp downward trend. Do people think this is a true reflection of the market, and if so, why is the game de-valuing so quickly?

DFFDCFED-65E8-4379-9925-CDBC3348CC9E (resized).jpegDFFDCFED-65E8-4379-9925-CDBC3348CC9E (resized).jpeg
#379 3 years ago

Ive been considering this except the playfield seems to rub on my sides on my machine, so not sure how the side blades would fit on my particular machine.... I would personally go red curtains and then get some kind of theatrical topper to keep it all Opera house theme... personal preference

Quoted from PurpleTophat:

The wife and I are looking to get a set of the RetroRefubs side blades for this machine but we can’t decide if we want the red curtains or the curtains with the gold pillars. Both look super cool, and in my opinion way better than any others on the market, but it’s tough to choose between the two. Does anybody have pics of their machine with either of these installed? I’d love to be able to see both in a machine to compare them!

#380 3 years ago

I got this machine and didn’t realize 90% of the flashers were out until I did a partial LED conversion.... After my eyesight returned several days later, I had a slight pang of regret for the super bright LED flashers I put in. I’m sitting on it for now to see how I feel about it long term

#381 3 years ago

Was looking up the average price for POTO on pinballprices.com
Interesting to see a sharp downward trend. Do people think this is a true reflection of the market, and if so, why is the game de-valuing so quickly?[quoted image]

Phantom is in a weird spot as far as value. It is without a doubt the pin I get the most shit talk about. Also everyone seems to think it’s a DMD. I can’t count how many times people make comparisons how it’s not as good their favourite DMD. On the other hand I had a DE Jurassic Park I was trying to move and people would always try and swap my Phantom into the deal. Switch the Phantom for the JP and we have a deal. Financially it seemed crazy but people wanted to do it. Phantom has emotional attachment for me so I never made the deal. I think it just has its niche. To the group that actually know it and have played it, it’s as sought after and valued as ever. It’s the whole package of the pre DMD era. Beautiful art, killer sound, the whole world under glass, top tier back glass, decent toy. If your just a tournament player looking for complicated ruleset, stacking multi balls and multipliers it’s not for you. Everyone seems to be going that way so maybe it’s demographic is getting smaller.

#382 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Phantom is in a weird spot as far as value. It is without a doubt the pin I get the most shit talk about. Also everyone seems to think it’s a DMD. I can’t count how many times people make comparisons how it’s not as good their favourite DMD. On the other hand I had a DE Jurassic Park I was trying to move and people would always try and swap my Phantom into the deal. Switch the Phantom for the JP and we have a deal. Financially it seemed crazy but people wanted to do it. Phantom has emotional attachment for me so I never made the deal. I think it just has its niche. To the group that actually know it and have played it, it’s as sought after and valued as ever. It’s the whole package of the pre DMD era. Beautiful art, killer sound, the whole world under glass, top tier back glass, decent toy. If your just a tournament player looking for complicated ruleset, stacking multi balls and multipliers it’s not for you. Everyone seems to be going that way so maybe it’s demographic is getting smaller.

Extremely well said! Pretty much nailed it.

I have wondered if a DMD on it would have made it a better game or not. I think the alphanumeric fits it well.

#383 3 years ago

Hey - got my flipper and sound issues ironed out and played my first few games this afternoon!

Just a question for you guys...

Is it normal to do a ball search at the start and end of every game?

All my VUKs cycle when the Start button is pressed at the beginning of the game before a ball is kicked out, as well as after the Match sequence.

Other than that everything is working great. Only other issues are some of the targets don’t register when hit hard. I’m assuming that maybe a contact /adjustment issue.

#384 3 years ago

Mine does it at start up and also after a game before it goes into attract mode.

Quoted from mad_carl:

Hey - got my flipper and sound issues ironed out and played my first few games this afternoon!
Just a question for you guys...
Is it normal to do a ball search at the start and end of every game?
All my VUKs cycle when the Start button is pressed at the beginning of the game before a ball is kicked out, as well as after the Match sequence.
Other than that everything is working great. Only other issues are some of the targets don’t register when hit hard. I’m assuming that maybe a contact /adjustment issue.

#385 3 years ago

I got a dimmer installed on my DIY Pin Stadiums and now I’m super happy with them. I dimmed them down and now it has the same feel but isn’t blinding.

#386 3 years ago
Quoted from Freddykaboodle:

Mine does it at start up and also after a game before it goes into attract mode.

Ok thanks. Good to know.

2 weeks later
#387 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Well said...

#388 3 years ago

Was rummaging through an old suitcase and found these souvenir phantom earrings my mom bought when the traveling version of Phantom came to Vancouver in...... 1996? Thinking about spraying them white and mounting them somehow in the game. What do you guys think?

0BA72B92-477D-45E7-A9FF-E35AD1418C40 (resized).jpeg0BA72B92-477D-45E7-A9FF-E35AD1418C40 (resized).jpeg98942DD0-82FE-422A-A1DE-488A8A5CBB4D (resized).jpeg98942DD0-82FE-422A-A1DE-488A8A5CBB4D (resized).jpeg
#389 3 years ago

Don’t paint them I would mount it right on the front of the organ. I actually have a spare and mine doesn’t have that sticker. I just noticed I have a dome on backwards.
5BEAADC2-0F20-444C-B066-76CB20BAE361 (resized).jpeg5BEAADC2-0F20-444C-B066-76CB20BAE361 (resized).jpeg

#390 3 years ago

How would you mount them? You’re right - there’s enough gold on the game that you don’t need to paint them

#391 3 years ago

If they are an earing they must have a post at the back. I would peel that sticker off and mount it right in that spot the white mask was. Would look pretty sweet. Hot glue gun usually will hold pretty well and still easily removed without leaving anything behind. Hopefully there is something on the back you could glue to or mount a little piece of wire to.

#392 3 years ago

You’re right. That’s a great idea.

Quoted from Darscot:

If they are an earing they must have a post at the back. I would peel that sticker off and mount it right in that spot the white mask was. Would look pretty sweet. Hot glue gun usually will hold pretty well and still easily removed without leaving anything behind. Hopefully there is something on the back you could glue to or mount a little piece of wire to.

#393 3 years ago

Does anyone have the color code for the darker gold on the playfield? I want to touch up the area around the pop bumpers

#394 3 years ago

Anybody know if this brass shooter spring will fit a Phantom?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-149-G

I saw it listed under Phantom for game specific parts but then it directed me to another one in the listing that is out of stock and does not look brass.

#395 3 years ago

Anybody know if this brass shooter spring will fit a Phantom?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-149-G
I saw it listed under Phantom for game specific parts but then it directed me to another one in the listing that is out of stock and does not look brass.

I picked one up from pinball life in my order (Marco was sold out) when I was shopping out the game but it didn’t work well.

If I remember right it was too big/stiff and you couldn’t get a good plunge.

#396 3 years ago

I also recall having trouble with the plunger spring. The spring was a couple of winds too big and I ended up cutting it down a little before I could get a proper plunge.

#397 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I also recall having trouble with the plunger spring. The spring was a couple of winds too big and I ended up cutting it down a little before I could get a proper plunge.

Very interesting! Thanks for the info. I have no problem cutting it down so for the whopping $1 investment I think I’ll definitely give it a whack! This game is very fun to color coordinate customization on!

#398 3 years ago

Joined the club back in October. Threw some EATPM ramp cliffy protectors on I found that fit really close minus a small adjustment. Fully shopped and 100% working also had to throw a playfield protector on it to salvage that precious gold paint!

1D1F834F-DE2B-41B8-A25E-8A2E2C9812F4 (resized).jpeg1D1F834F-DE2B-41B8-A25E-8A2E2C9812F4 (resized).jpeg243C6F98-DBA0-4042-A4D7-88D7934B61A0 (resized).jpeg243C6F98-DBA0-4042-A4D7-88D7934B61A0 (resized).jpeg5D27F193-0B15-4010-9FEB-C289A556849D (resized).jpeg5D27F193-0B15-4010-9FEB-C289A556849D (resized).jpeg8A190D7A-0FBB-4BE3-99FD-A4430F174078 (resized).jpeg8A190D7A-0FBB-4BE3-99FD-A4430F174078 (resized).jpeg
#399 3 years ago

Do you have a link to the lights from your pop bumpers?

Also what playfield protector did you use?

Quoted from Kevster219:

Joined the club back in October. Threw some EATPM ramp cliffy protectors on I found that fit really close minus a small adjustment. Fully shopped and 100% working also had to throw a playfield protector on it to salvage that precious gold paint!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#400 3 years ago

I think I have the same pop bumper lights but can't remember where I got them, probably Pinball Life they have a few different types. I have the sounds or vibration activated ones.

I want to know if those are DIY speaker lights or a kit from somewhere?

Those ramp protectors are a great idea, the ramp that is on mine is cracked but I have a spare. When the current ramp finally bites it I'll get a set of those for my good ramp.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 538 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phantom-of-the-opera-club-owners-and-fans-welcome/page/8?hl=kevster219 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.