(Topic ID: 194908)

Phantom of the Opera Club - Owners and fans welcome!

By SilverUnicorn

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 567 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by JodyG
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240718_073922 (resized).jpg
83E337D1-3084-45B0-BAC8-FFA977F72B5E (resized).jpeg
B82758AA-B0B7-4C00-83F5-7C93B3271A41 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8739 (resized).jpeg
element_powder_-_gold_metallic__83056 (resized).jpg
phantom (resized).jpg
87F32099-4FBB-4ED7-914C-9211631A0661 (resized).jpeg
39A46DE2-B92C-4966-B8D2-AA6FD2382E08 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0206 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0180 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0130 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0130 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0129 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0128 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0135 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0137 (resized).jpeg
There are 567 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.
#451 2 years ago

Hello guys ! Proud owner of a POTO (my really first pinball). Wanted to share some pics, the POTO is working but ...

Many scratches on the playfield, magic mirror missing and some plastics. The subway ramp is not the original and fixed with fiber (looking for the original one)

Need to re-do the flippers, the past owner made a hack, put gottlieb flippers and remove the solid state board.

The good thing is the backglass condition <3

photo_2022-05-23_22-17-15 (2) (resized).jpgphoto_2022-05-23_22-17-15 (2) (resized).jpg
photo_2022-05-23_22-17-15 (resized).jpgphoto_2022-05-23_22-17-15 (resized).jpg
photo_2022-05-31_16-41-12 (resized).jpgphoto_2022-05-31_16-41-12 (resized).jpg
photo_2022-05-31_16-41-39 (resized).jpgphoto_2022-05-31_16-41-39 (resized).jpg
photo_2022-06-12_16-50-47 (resized).jpgphoto_2022-06-12_16-50-47 (resized).jpg
photo_2022-06-12_16-47-10 (resized).jpgphoto_2022-06-12_16-47-10 (resized).jpg
photo_2022-05-31_16-41-20 (resized).jpgphoto_2022-05-31_16-41-20 (resized).jpg
photo_2022-06-07_17-46-44 (resized).jpgphoto_2022-06-07_17-46-44 (resized).jpg
photo_2022-06-02_20-11-03 (resized).jpgphoto_2022-06-02_20-11-03 (resized).jpg
photo_2022-06-02_18-06-12 (resized).jpgphoto_2022-06-02_18-06-12 (resized).jpg

Two weeks now:

We begin the touch up on the paint (my wife did, i'm really bad at this, trust me i try ^^)

I order rubber, leds (warm dome), etc... Also ordered the Solid State Board (from pinled) and many others parts.

photo_2022-06-04_16-42-52 (resized).jpgphoto_2022-06-04_16-42-52 (resized).jpg
photo_2022-06-07_18-56-20 (resized).jpgphoto_2022-06-07_18-56-20 (resized).jpg

Waiting for the parts to come and begin the coating

3 weeks later
#452 2 years ago

Apparently I asked a question that I asked a year ago and got answers to already.

#453 2 years ago
Quoted from Seanlaughlin:

Just saw that pinsound is going to be compatible with phantom finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I’m already pulling music from ALW to mix together. This is exciting news

Where did you hear this? They told me they were “working on it” like a year and half ago and other members here have said don’t hold your breath. I really would love for this to be true but I’ll believe it when I see it unfortunately!

1 week later
#454 1 year ago

I have a full set of unused CPR plastics for PoTO if anyone is interested.

$75 shipped in the continental US.

Chris

#455 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I have a full set of unused CPR plastics for PoTO if anyone is interested.
$75 shipped in the continental US.
Chris

These are sold.

1 month later
#456 1 year ago

Has anyone order a CPR playfield, please post if you do would love to hear what everyone thinks.

#457 1 year ago

Last information I had CPR was asking for people that was possibly interested on buying one. Are they producing one?

#458 1 year ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Last information I had CPR was asking for people that was possibly interested on buying one. Are they producing one?

Yes it is available on their site now.

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/poto/

Chris

#459 1 year ago

Yeah I guess I should have mentioned it is available now. Mine doesn't need a playfield but the CPR looks so nice, it has me very tempted.

#460 1 year ago

We sold our Phantom because the PF was trash......Wished I had my pin back.

1 week later
#461 1 year ago

Wow I bought a POTO a few weeks ago and PF's weren't available yet so just bought one. Cabinet is nice, PF is mylared and the usual bubbles in the inserts. Boards had acid damage and backglass was shot. Anyone know where I can get a nice reproduction backglass?

#462 1 year ago
Quoted from NYP:

Wow I bought a POTO a few weeks ago and PF's weren't available yet so just bought one. Cabinet is nice, PF is mylared and the usual bubbles in the inserts. Boards had acid damage and backglass was shot. Anyone know where I can get a nice reproduction backglass?

CPR was looking for one a few months back so I am sure they will have one in the future. With the PF available fingers crossed it'll be soon. Post when your PF arrives love to hear your thoughts.

1 month later
#463 1 year ago

Sorry I took an extended break from the site. This was in their new year announcement that they would support System 11 and Data East machines. But I just checked and still nothing - they probably need someone to do the sound design, which I can do, but it will take a while.

Quoted from PurpleTophat:

Where did you hear this? They told me they were “working on it” like a year and half ago and other members here have said don’t hold your breath. I really would love for this to be true but I’ll believe it when I see it unfortunately!

#464 1 year ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Has anyone order a CPR playfield, please post if you do would love to hear what everyone thinks.

I have one and I think it is fine. Certainly better than the scorched playfield currently in my game.

1 month later
#465 1 year ago

Hi everyone, my wife and I just joined the club two days ago. We’re very excited to add this to our collection.

The game was having organ issues…it would barely raise. Thanks to the posts in this club, I discovered that the spacers were missing under the organ cover! After I added some 1/4” spacers, the organ is now able to raise and close fully!

But…sometimes, the front edge still raises only about 1” off the playfield (rather than fully open), and you can shoot a ball underneath it. Is this normal, or should the organ only ever stop in the fully open or fully closed positions? If this isn’t normal, what might be causing this? The limit switches on the organ travel seem to work fine in test. Does the organ motor stop if it ‘feels’ some resistance…is there a way to lubricate the motor or linkage?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#466 1 year ago

Are your standup targets getting hung up on the wiring for the lamps on top of of the organ?

#467 1 year ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Are your standup targets getting hung up on the wiring for the lamps on top of of the organ?

So, does the fact that you’re proposing a solution mean that the ramp is never supposed to be just partially open?

I thought when I raised the organ ‘roof’ that I provided enough clearance…but maybe the targets are still occasionally rubbing against the wire bundle. I guess I’ll play a little with the roof completely out of the way and see if I still have issues.

#468 1 year ago

No, I had my wife play a game with me holding the roof and wiring completely out of the way.

Also, when I run the organ test in service menus, it only moves one second at a time and often reverses in direction. Is this normal in test mode…or should it keep going continuously.

#469 1 year ago

It should fully open. Not just an inch. The metal on the back of the switches inside the Organ can snag on the twist in bulb holders if the roof isn’t mounted right.

The organ opening and closing in small increments in test mode is how mine functions as well. Maybe look at your limit switches or to see if the armature that lifts the door moves freely and that it’s not bent or misshapen.

#470 1 year ago

Thanks for your replies.

I have to say, the test mode is bizarre. With linkage disconnected and motor taken part and removed from the gear box to eliminate any and all resistance, I ran test mode over and over and could not find any discernible sequence of whether the motor would turn clockwise (+) or counterclockwise (-). This is a pattern I recorded: +- - - + - + - - + + - + - + - - - - + + + - - + + + - + + + + - - + + - + - - - + - + + + + +…

Quite frankly, I don’t understand why the motor would need to go in both directions, it seems like it can open and close fully by moving the linkage arm in only one direction.

Anyway…I opened the gearbox and took a couple of pictures. Second photo of the one sprocket looks like a leg is broken off…but there was no piece in the gearbox…and it didn’t look like it was ever pried open before. Weird.

I know it’s a long shot, but does anyone know if the internal look right?

I will clean, relube, reassemble, and play around a bit more…but I think I’m going to be ordering a replacement motor assembly soon.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#471 1 year ago

I don’t get it. Cleaned. Lubed gearbox. Reinstalled everything. Made sure plenty of room behind targets.

Works great 80%. Then decides to open part way, or not close, or something else weird.

#472 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

I don’t get it. Cleaned. Lubed gearbox. Reinstalled everything. Made sure plenty of room behind targets.
Works great 80%. Then decides to open part way, or not close, or something else weird.

Check your ball deflector inside the Organ. Mine was broken and was blocking the organ from opening all the way. I replaced it and it worked perfectly.
But..... then the new deflector broke a few months after that (It takes some pretty hard hits) and the organ started not opening all the way again.

Here is the piece you are looking for.....
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-5812-00

Mine broke off at the left screw tab on both pieces.

#473 1 year ago

Can’t comment about the gearbox. I’ve never had mine open.

Does the organ open fully if the roof isn’t attached? Might be worth checking that the ramp isn’t interfering with it as well. I remember running into similar issues when I reassembled my game.

#474 1 year ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Does the organ open fully if the roof isn’t attached?

The top piece is to have two nut spacers on to raise the top cover a bit.

#475 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The top piece is to have two nut spacers on to raise the top cover a bit.

Mine didn’t have any spacers when I got it. Didn’t know they were ever there but I assumed something was up. I think I ended up using washers to get my clearance.

#476 1 year ago

Yeah, mine didn’t have spacers and the organ would never fully open, so I added those immediately. Since adding the spacers, the trunk opens and operates correctly probably >80% of the time, but still occasionally opens only part way.

I will more throughly test the switches in case they are misfiring or sticking every once in a while. Beyond that, I’m not sure what else to try other than getting a new motor. Fortunately they’re available and not too pricey.

1 month later
#477 1 year ago

Crap, how did I miss this? It says out of stock now! Turds on a sandwich…

#478 1 year ago

Hey my fellow Phantoms! Two questions:

1. Is this the correct potentiometer for the main volume control?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=Data+East+potentiometer

2. Has anyone ever done an illuminated start button? Just curious how that would look.

2 weeks later
#479 1 year ago

Hey my fellow Phantoms! Two questions:
1. Is this the correct potentiometer for the main volume control?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=Data+East+potentiometer
2. Has anyone ever done an illuminated start button? Just curious how that would look.

I believe Data East used a dual mount potentiometer in their games.
Audio stereo.

1 week later
#480 1 year ago

Phantom of the opera is perhaps the best looking pin ever. I have played the Pinball Arcade version quite a bit, but find it a bit frustrating. I only played the actual machine twice, and found it definitely better than the computer simulation. Wish I had one nearby. Still, it’s definitely not the most forgiving machine. Almost like it is always in pro-competition mode

#481 1 year ago

What type of white plastic posts connect the score display to the lightboard?

What are they called and where do I buy?

#482 1 year ago
Quoted from GoodManners:

What type of white plastic posts connect the score display to the lightboard?
What are they called and where do I buy?

Standoffs. They have many configurations.

#483 1 year ago

Thanks vec-tor
- Marco has some so I picked some up.

2 weeks later
#484 1 year ago

So I went to replace the volume potentiometer in my Phantom and it wasn’t a standard 10K. It had like a double pot at the bottom. Anybody know if that is stock and what I should replace that with? I get sound but it’s either loud of soft and you can tell the potentiometer is failing so I know I need to replace it. Any help?

#485 1 year ago

So I went to replace the volume potentiometer in my Phantom and it wasn’t a standard 10K. It had like a double pot at the bottom. Anybody know if that is stock and what I should replace that with? I get sound but it’s either loud of soft and you can tell the potentiometer is failing so I know I need to replace it. Any help?

Data East used a double potentiometer.
One part is for the left speaker and the other part for the right speaker.
Data East sound boards are in stereo, not mono.
I would first use a contact cleaning solution from the electronics store first, before tying
to find a replacement part.

#486 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Data East used a double potentiometer.
One part is for the left speaker and the other part for the right speaker.
Data East sound boards are in stereo, not mono.
I would first use a contact cleaning solution from the electronics store first, before tying
to find a replacement part.

That is very helpful, thank you! I will order some cleaner and give the at a try. Appreciate it!

#487 1 year ago

Finally finished the video editing of my poto
6 months in 5 minutes (hard to compress ^^)

https://odysee.com/@almotv:e/PhantomPinball:f?r=DwtNKiPsgUrPRFm9NQk3X9EnUo5XyW3J

#488 1 year ago
Quoted from almo:

Finally finished the video editing of my poto
6 months in 5 minutes (hard to compress ^^)
https://odysee.com/@almotv:e/PhantomPinball:f?r=DwtNKiPsgUrPRFm9NQk3X9EnUo5XyW3J

Wow. Amazing work!

Chris

#489 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Wow. Amazing work!
Chris

Thanks a lot Chris

#490 1 year ago

Finally had my Phantom looking good and playing well. Just replaced all of the cool white GI with warm white and it looks a lot better.

Out the blue all of the GI went out. Everything else works fine but the GI is not on. Can anyone point me towards a troubleshooting guide or give me some pointers of what to check? I’m not great with this stuff but do the best I can. Thanks!

#491 1 year ago

Finally had my Phantom looking good and playing well. Just replaced all of the cool white GI with warm white and it looks a lot better.
Out the blue all of the GI went out. Everything else works fine but the GI is not on. Can anyone point me towards a troubleshooting guide or give me some pointers of what to check? I’m not great with this stuff but do the best I can. Thanks!

Check the schematics for the power supply, but there’s a connector on the top right corner of power supply that’s know to burn up. GI power routes through there for the GI flasher relay.

#492 1 year ago

Check CN8 on the PSU. The connector is most likely toasty brown. You can try reseating it.

Pull and check the GI fuses on the PPB with a meter. Try reseating J5.

Edit
Pinwiki has some good troubleshooting info

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#General_Illumination_Issues

2 months later
#493 1 year ago

If anyone is looking for a Phantom of the Opera Ramp, I have an extra one. #545-5144-00 Red.

large (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpg
3 months later
#494 10 months ago

A friend of mine just picked up a project POTO. We fixed most of the issues with the game last night other than a bad trough switch.

How does one put the game in free play mode?

#495 10 months ago
Quoted from Jodester:

A friend of mine just picked up a project POTO. We fixed most of the issues with the game last night other than a bad trough switch.
How does one put the game in free play mode?

Go in to the menu and select free play.

#496 10 months ago

Or do a google search of “phantom of the opera pinball manual”
Bang everything you need for free.

#497 10 months ago
Quoted from Freddykaboodle:

Or do a google search of “phantom of the opera pinball manual”
Bang everything you need for free.

Thanks. Looks like its adjustment 37. I probably need to print a copy out for him to keep in the machine.

Also, for those without a manual, choose expand adjustments to find the choice for free play. It is NOT on the regular menu.

1 week later
#498 10 months ago

I am getting a PoTo for a friend till he has the money saved, and the mirror gate is stuck up. Is this an easy fix? Want to see before getting cliffy’s replacement. Thanks for any help.

output_image1694567056178 (resized).jpegoutput_image1694567056178 (resized).jpeg
#499 10 months ago

It’s likely hung up/rubbing on those rubbers on the sides of the hole.

#500 10 months ago

I agree, the mirror is likely hung up on the post rubbers. The mechanism can certainly be adjusted, but it's a fiddley thing to adjust that will test your patience

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rice, MN
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denton, TEXAS
$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 567 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.