Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gigantor
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

POTO-Mask 1 (resized).jpg
    POTO-Mask 2 (resized).jpg
    Scan_20190212_171707c (resized).jpg
    20190327_104409 (resized).jpg
    20190327_104248 (resized).jpg
    Mask (resized).png
    IMG_20181211_200437856 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

How do I go about acquiring a mask for my phantom... appreciate any help..thx

#2 5 years ago

I think a little more information might be helpful.

#3 5 years ago

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say he’s got a POTO which has a backglass with the phantom’s mask worn off. Did anybody do repros of that?

#4 5 years ago

Haven't heard of anyone making them yet. I wouldn't think it would really be this difficult to get it made.

What I would try to do is get a good scan of someone's backglass and make a sticker from it.

#5 5 years ago

Yes ..game is great.. Backglass.. playfield..etc..just figured it would be nice to get the mask ...I guess if they made a repro Backglass that would be a solution also... hopefully something will turn up...if not ..I guess it really doesn't matter

IMG_20181211_200437856 (resized).jpgIMG_20181211_200437856 (resized).jpg
    #6 5 years ago

Isn’t it really just a blob of paint on the front of the backglass ? Seems like it could be a sticker

#7 5 years ago

I bought a replacement mask 8 years ago from a guy on RGP named MNpinball. It was made of a high quality 3M adhesive material. It was a great replacement for the missing silk screened mask. I think he is on Pinside now under the same name? I posted a copy of the thread from RGP, I hope this helps.

-----

As stated by others here the backglass is screened on both sides. The
    mask and hangman are on the outside.
    When the flashers are illuminated the mask area becomes translucent
    and you can see the face.
    Many times on location kids scratched the mask with quarters or other
    items to see behind it thus destoying it.
    I took a mint backglass to a screen printer and had this area
    reproduced on a high quality 3M scotchcal opaque material.
    Never had a complaint and makes it look as original.
    POTO mask decals sold here: They are $35.
    http://www.pinballsinc.com/forsale.html

Jason.
    www.pinballsinc.com

#8 5 years ago

I tried that site ..I don't think it exists anymore..

#9 5 years ago

I believe you can find the guy who made them here on Pinside. Try looking him up and reach out to him, you never know.

#10 5 years ago

Also looking for one...

1 month later
    #11 5 years ago

Also looking for one.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lmjdad:

Many times on location kids scratched the mask with quarters or other items to see behind it thus destoying it.

Bastards.

#13 5 years ago

what does it look like, maybe i can help. Dimensions would be helpful too.

#14 5 years ago

Sorry,
    Mine is too damaged to tell

1 week later
    #15 5 years ago

Actually I think I can get some decals made easily enough if somebody can provide a scan of that portion of the backglass that has the mask. Otherwise I might try from high res photos but I'd rather not.

#16 5 years ago

Mine is complete and I could try to get into my scanner not sure how well it will turn out. Pics would be no problem, when I'm home tonight I'll see what i can come up with.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Mine is complete and I could try to get into my scanner not sure how well it will turn out. Pics would be no problem, when I'm home tonight I'll see what i can come up with.

Thanks! Image quality really isn't even super important but the dimensions are & the scanner would definitely help with that. I can clean things up easily enough.

#18 5 years ago

Ok I managed to scan my backglass, as a png its 340mb and as a pdf its 57mb. Let me know how I can get the files to who needs them.

Here is a small version I shrunk so it would let me upload.

Mask (resized).pngMask (resized).png
    #19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Ok I managed to scan my backglass, as a png its 340mb and as a pdf its 57mb. Let me know how I can get the files to who needs them.

Thanks I'll message you

#20 5 years ago

I would be interested in a decal and also the decal around the score window. Let me know how this turns out.
    Thanks
    Doomer

#21 5 years ago

Is there something unique about the original mask that makes it difficult to reproduce? Or just hasn’t happened yet for whatever reason?

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Is there something unique about the original mask that makes it difficult to reproduce? Or just hasn’t happened yet for whatever reason?

I think somebody did reproduce them years ago but they are long gone. Seems to me like there is nothing special about it, just a decal.

#23 5 years ago

There must be something to the lighting of it, light only passes through one direction.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

There must be something to the lighting of it, light only passes through one direction.

Yeah I really don't know if a standard decal would function the same or not. Wouldn't mind having more info on this if anybody knows.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from robx46:

Yeah I really don't know if a standard decal would function the same or not. Wouldn't mind having more info on this if anybody knows.

I just know when you light it from the back it becomes transparent, when you light it from the front it's silver and opaque. That's what makes the effect work, during regular play he looks masked, when they light it up from behind then the mask disappears and you can see his scared faces. It's like a decal one way mirror.

2 weeks later
    #26 5 years ago

Any update on reproducing this decal? Thanks

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Doomer:

Any update on reproducing this decal? Thanks

Hopefully I have an update soon

#28 5 years ago

Thanks

#29 5 years ago

Subscribing for updates. I would be interested in one as well.

Chris

#30 5 years ago

I have the artwork ready to go. I'm going to print shop to try out a couple different materials & hopefully one works as I hope.

2 weeks later
    #31 5 years ago

Had some success after a few tries with a few different materials. I think this looks pretty close to how it should with & without flashers?

20190327_104409 (resized).jpg20190327_104409 (resized).jpg20190327_104248 (resized).jpg20190327_104248 (resized).jpg
    #32 5 years ago

Wow, it came out great I don't think you can tell it apart from the original.

#33 5 years ago

& that lit pic is with the flashers on. With just regular lights on it doesn't see through nearly as much

#34 5 years ago

Looks great. Let me know how much to buy one. Thanks

#35 5 years ago

Probably will do $20 shipped. But a note on installation. You need to cut out what you want. I've even included the hanging man in there, but I didn't need that so I left him out. So I just carefully went around everything with a good pair of scissors. Used exacto to cut the eyes out (which is easy because it is all white). Use whatever method you like to line it up & stick it properly. It won't easily come back off. If I were to do it again I might try a wet method to place perfectly then let it dry.

Scan_20190212_171707c (resized).jpgScan_20190212_171707c (resized).jpg
    #36 5 years ago

That sounds great. I can Paypal you the $$ or mail a check. Any chance you can do the decal around the score windows. Mine is also peeling of. Ya I would need he hang man.
    Thanks

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Doomer:

That sounds great. I can Paypal you the $$ or mail a check. Any chance you can do the decal around the score windows. Mine is also peeling of. Ya I would need he hang man.
    Thanks

I did think about doing that. I may. I'll message you my paypal

#38 5 years ago

Are these available? I'd love to get one if I can.

Chris

#39 5 years ago

I would also be interested in the gold around the score windows

#40 5 years ago

Anyone interested just shoot me a message

1 month later
    #41 4 years ago

robx46 i’ve send you a message !

#42 4 years ago

For the record, the quality on these is very good. I got mine and was impressed. I didn't install it yet as mine isn't that bad (yet) but as a replacement it is a very good option.

Well done!

Chris

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

For the record, the quality on these is very good. I got mine and was impressed. I didn't install it yet as mine isn't that bad (yet) but as a replacement it is a very good option.
    Well done!
    Chris

Thanks, yes the quality is as good as I could make it with the source material. Went through a few drafts on vinyl using my local print shop to get the colors hopefully close as possible. Wish I could have made it pre-cut but just isn't an option. I tried to have the guy at Pinball Decals help me out but he said he was too busy & I was on my own. The material I have them printed on is from a sign shop & the best thin vinyl they have.
    I made the score frame too. Went through one draft & didn't like the color using matte finish instead of a gloss one. I'm picking up another draft today that is the same material as the mask & I adjusted a few colors. If its good or when I'm happy with it I'll make both available for sale in the market. I do still have masks here though.

#44 4 years ago

Mask & frame decals available in the marketplace

3 weeks later
    #45 4 years ago
    Quoted from robx46:

Mask & frame decals available in the marketplace

Ordered these and got them installed. They look great on my machine that was totally missing the mask. Mine still has quite a bit of the score frame left, so I'll be holding onto that decal just in case. Thanks!

POTO-Mask 1 (resized).jpgPOTO-Mask 1 (resized).jpgPOTO-Mask 2 (resized).jpgPOTO-Mask 2 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/phantom-mask?hl=deerlakes6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.