(Topic ID: 112819)

PFR: Secret formula for woodtone paint color for playfields?

By Gov

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Boslaw
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2020-07-23-0015 (resized).jpeg
    236630-i.png
    B4A.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Does anybody have a good paint formula for restoring the bare wood areas of playfields? I know that HSA and HEP have a specific way of doing this that always looks great. I know it involves using a transparent base of some kind to let the grain show through. I think it looks really nice in most cases and when done well is hardly noticeable.

My dad and I have tried mixing a good color several times but it just never seems to come out right. Any of you playfield restorers have a good formula for achieving this? I have included a picture from a HSA restoration to show you what I am talking about.

B4A.jpgB4A.jpg
    #2 9 years ago

Subscribed. I'd also like to know this.

#4 9 years ago

It's a glaze with colorant to give it color. I have never messed with playfields so i don't have a formula but I have matched many a custom stained wood surface with colored glaze.

#5 9 years ago

Can you be more specific? Is this something that can be picked up at a hobby shop/store?

#6 9 years ago

Bump

2 months later
    #7 9 years ago

Bumping this thread since it's an interesting question...

Does anyone have a technique they like to use when painting over badly discolored wood to make it look like new wood again?

#8 9 years ago

I believe that in some cases the woodgrain is airbrushed on.
    You would need a talented airbrush artist.

#9 9 years ago

Shellac is made from the bodies of the Laccifera lacca insect. It is actually safe to eat, and is used as the coating on Reese's Pieces and fruits like apples.

Shellac has a yellow to amber color to it, and can actually be purchased in different shades.

Shellac flakes are simply dissolved in alcohol and then applied.

Some older pins were actually "clear coated" with Shellac (test under the apron if the finish dissolves with alcohol).

In playfield restoration we use Shellac in layers to match freshly sanded wood to the surrounding wood. Newly sanded wood is bright white, and stands out like a sore thumb. Spraying layers of Shellac allows you to match darker older wood easily.

Vapor are mildly toxic (alcohol).

Shellac is not very durable as a clearcoat, but is does have a place in your tool kit.

236630-i.png236630-i.png
    #10 9 years ago

I have used shellac before on plaster sculptures, can you clear coat over it?

#11 9 years ago

Yes, you can clear over it with 2PAC.

#12 9 years ago

Good to know, I will have to give it a shot.

5 years later
    #13 3 years ago

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has a suggestion/solution for my situation.

Target Alpha has a very large bare wood area in front of the flippers (See pic). My playfield is trashed, especially in that area. Previous owner tried to paint the area a hideous green color, which I've mostly removed. I'm left with a little green that's embedded into the grain. I'm afraid that continued sanding, even with just magic eraser, will be through the plywood face very quickly. If not for these green spots, I think this might be a good candidate for clear coat over shellac.

Any thoughts on how to get rid of the green without further destroying this area would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

2020-07-23-0015 (resized).jpeg2020-07-23-0015 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pfr-secret-formula-for-woodtone-paint-color-for-playfields and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.