Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

011 - Copy (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what the best order is for a playfield swap. I've got a brand new TAF playfield and most of the stuff is in a pretty bad shape so I'm going to order a hefty amount of replacement parts. Due to this, I'm planning on unsoldering all the connections from the underside, labelling them, and just taking the harness off and moving every assembly one by one. Should I do the T-nuts first, then all the posts, then the underside assemblies, then the rest of the stuff on top? I went through a couple of rebuild threads on PinSide, but there didn't seem to be an agreed consensus and methods differ from one user to another.

Best regards,
snowvictim

#2 6 years ago

I feel your pain I to am working on a TAF. For me I always looked at it like lasagna laying. Honestly TAF is easy underneath cause you don't have a ground braiding stapled to the pf. I like to take the weight off the harness for a swap and remove and re soldier all the large mechs. And that also helps to make some room to work. I would definitely install the t-nuts first, then large mechs then harness, complete the bottom then re install everything up top. Also I use a large piece of sturdy cardboard about the size of the pf to slip underneath the harness so everything generally stays in place while you slide it over to the new pf.

011 - Copy (resized).JPG011 - Copy (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely follow your advice. Everything seems easier to do once the harness is removed, to be honest, that's why my starting point will be removing all the wires and labelling them. Worst case scenario I'll just have to recheck everything with the matrix charts... So generally overall, disassembly starting with the top finishing at the underside, reassembly the inverse?

#4 6 years ago

I did a swap last year and documented it here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-restoration%e2%80%94my-first-swap

I hope this is helpful.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

So generally overall, disassembly starting with the top finishing at the underside, reassembly the inverse?

Everyone seems to have their own way of doing things, but this is pretty much it. All I can say is, take lots and lots of pics as you take things off. When it's time to put it back on the new playfield, work backwards with your pics. You'll screw something up. Everyone does.

TAF has pros and cons. The pros....the topside of the playfield is relatively simple. The cons....the bottom side is more of a bitch. There's a lot of stuff going on there.

#6 6 years ago

If I understand your question, here is the sequence I’ve been doing:

1) t-nuts
2) underside mechs
3) harnesses
4) posts
5) 1st level topside parts
6) 2nd/3rd level topside

Depending on the game, you may see some blending of those steps as you see how things logically fit together. Hope that helps

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

If I understand your question, here is the sequence I’ve been doing:
1) t-nuts
2) underside mechs
3) harnesses
4) posts
5) 1st level topside parts
6) 2nd/3rd level topside
Depending on the game, you may see some blending of those steps as you see how things logically fit together. Hope that helps

Interesting. I prefer this order.

1) t-nuts
2) posts
3) 1st level topside parts
4) underside switch and lamp harnesses
5) underside coils and mechs
6) coil harness
7) 2nd/3rd level topside

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Interesting. I prefer this order.
1) t-nuts
2) posts
3) 1st level topside parts
4) underside switch and lamp harnesses
5) underside coils and mechs
6) coil harness
7) 2nd/3rd level topside

You are the master, so I defer to your judgement. I’ll have to think on this. For me, I’ve done harnesses after mechs to make sure I have enough breathing room as I put the harnesses back in place, but it certainly makes sense to do lamps/switch harnesses first. It also makes sense to do posts earlier as there is drilling involved. I’m thinking my Type A made that decision for me (finish bottom, then do top). Still lots to learn!

#9 6 years ago

I know there are a lot of different methods on swapping a playfield. To each their own. The one thing I always insist on is the game in question needs to be 100 percent operational condition before you begin. Moving over unknown or problm components will drive you crazy later on. Take the time to sort everything out before you begin is a must.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 1,159.00
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 180.00
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pf-rebuildswap-order?hl=mad_dog_coin_op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.