Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Atlgills
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_9779 (resized).JPG
IMG_9753 (resized).JPG
IMG_6160 (resized).JPG
IMG_6159 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballaddicted.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 10 months ago

We have a playfield protector and a full set of Cliffys fitted on every machine we own. They are a pain to put on and a little painful to look after as you have to vacuum the machine every time you clean it to stop the dirt and dust getting under the protector. We have fitted playfield protector to 3 NIB Sterns and each one has the issue in your photos. Ours are not as bad as that as we ask our distro not to wax or spay anything on the playfield before we get it. I believe this is the wax or polish applied to the playfield at the factory. It is extremely hard to get off. We do our best to get as much off as we can with novus no1 before putting the protector on. Once we start playing the machine, we have a long piece of flexible plastic and push a microfiber rag in between the playfield and the playfield protector until the wax is gone. Process is quick but It takes a while before the wax is gone.

Up side is ball scratches the shit out of the protector not PF, no ball track marks on PF, much less dimpling, no stuffing around with mylar, no mushrooming of magnets, The list goes on and on. You can still Novus no 1 & 2 the playfield protector and machine plays like lightening. Machines are very easy to sell with a nice minty playfield. Surprisingly, most people ask us to take the protector off before giving them the machine.

4 months later
#8 5 months ago
Quoted from Atlgills:

I just had my AFM professionally restored with a new playfield from Mirco. I installed a playfield protector on day one. Mega wet spot right in the center of my game. Seems like the plastic uses the LED gi like a fiber optic and enhances the effect of the wet look. Also my led gi bulbs are only at 45%. I emailed playfield protector and they responded in minutes. They advised I lift part of the protector and use a hair drier to remove moisture. After I did so with zero results I emailed again to see what to do next with no response. Seems like your on your own if you have this issue. This is what I did.
Clean terry cloth, wipe with naphtha and repeat about 10 times with a new clean cloth every time. Playfield and protector got this treatment. Each time better than the last. Turns out naphtha is ok with my protector. Been three days and wet look has not returned. There are still little tiny areas left but 95 percent better. Suspect its silicone from polish or something similar.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post. I will be giving this a try today on AFMrLE.

#10 5 months ago
Quoted from Sprudeldudel:

It's not a wet spot. It's perfectly normal. The protector is so smooth that it will "suck" to the playfield in certain places. The air gap in between the playfield and the protector disappears and that looks like a wet spot. You can rub all you want. It will stay. Haven't seen a single pin without those "wet spots" (except those with really banged up playfields...).

We have 5 machines with no wet spot. The machines are older and I cleaned the playfield with Shellife (Naptpha) before fitting the protector. Our new machines all have wet spots. I believe this to be the liquid polish applied to the playfield in the factory. When you put the protector over it the polish returns to liquid. I have been extremely reluctant to clean a brand new playfield with Naptha. I have just done AFMrLE so now we have 6 machines with no wet spots! I only used a very small amount and let the playfield and protector completely dry before putting back down.

#17 5 months ago

All fine, but it's not about what you "believe". It's a fact (not an alternative one) and the result of a personal discussion with the the inventor & manufacturer. If it actually WAS some sort of liquid (which it isn't), the "wet" spots wouldn't disappear when you shift the protector sideways a bit, would they... However, they do.
I don't want to argue with your "belief" though. Believe what you want.

OK. That is the beauty of opinion and this forum. We all have different opinions. We are all here for the love of pinball and to share our experiences, opinions and beliefs. Helping each other is what Pinside is all about. Can you tell me how many machines you have fitted playfield protectors on?

#24 5 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I always clean off all the wax and silicone from the playfield with Naphtha, BEFORE I contaminate the new protector.
There is an AC/DC on route by me that looks completely molted. The OP says it's because he used Meguiars liquid **wax** right before installing it.

Thanks Vid, I agree with you. We have started doing the same going forward.

#25 5 months ago

Two personally, a SWLE NIB and a Getaway after a fundamental restoration including a clearcoat, applied by a professional. I have also seen about 50 machines equipped with the protectors at a location here in GErmany, where most of them also hat the spots. The older ones less so.
What I expect to increase the wet spots is high surface planarity in combination with electrostatic charge. This wold cause stronger cohesion between playfield and protector, hence squeezing out the air better. What MIGHT solve this i to find a coating / polish that chages the surface energy (or increases conductivity) of the PET. However this is my assumption as a physicist. A chemist would sure know more.

If you have a theory, try it out and share your information so we can all benefit from your experience. I have tried Novus No2 on playfield and protector. No wet spots but playfield protector moves too much on the playfield defeating the purpose of using it.

#33 5 months ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I was thinking of pulling the trigger on one for Paragon, but those "wet spots" have me hesitant.

We have never had wet spot issues fitting a protector on an older machine. Only new games and new playfields.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,699.99
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 15.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 68.00
$ 24.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Metalhead Pinball
$ 15.00
$ 19.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 106.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 217.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballaddicted.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside