You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9779 (resized).JPG
IMG_9753 (resized).JPG
IMG_6160 (resized).JPG
IMG_6159 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

yeah I had no idea what the hell that was either when I first saw it. it's alot more prevalent on some games then others, Especially if the game was brand new when you put it on.
I assumed it had to do something with the new clearcoat. Like thundergod76 said nothing to worry about, just sucks that it looks wet.

The other thing that kinda sucks is on some games, mainly sterns the protector seems to lift in certain areas. I've been using that double sided tape, that cliffy uses on his protectors to get it back down. Doesn't affect gameplay just looks weird when the ball rolls over that area. Assuming this is due to the uneven areas though the playfield. That's if the protector isn't pushed up on something like a post.

Pro's far outweigh the Con's IMO.

4 months later
#13 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've never really understood why these protectors are necessary. I own some heavily routed games that are 20-25 years old, and the playfields are still quite nice. I can understand some cliffys or mylar here and there, but a full playfield protector just seems like overkill on a game that will be in a home collection its entire life. I'm assuming they also change the way the ball rolls, which would be another negative.

I played a bunch of games with my star trek before and after. the same with my medieval, The only real difference I noticed was there was less spin. I could of been imagining that though. if anything it plays a lot faster, most new sterns have tons of uneven levels on their playfields and of course mylar that tends to hang the ball up on occasion.

Also if you've seen some of the new sterns after they have been at these free play places for a month, the dimples on those things are crazy. All the other manufactures have them to, but they are much less noticeable. This goes to what type of quality of wood they are using on their playfields. slow grown/fast grown, pine, oak etc..
granted a routed game will get played a lot more, but still...
These are expensive toys, and a protector gives piece of mind. I have them on all my games (most), mainly in case I'm not able to clean them for a prolonged period of time while they are on location. Think the biggest benefit is the resale value, for a 100 bucks and 4- 12 hours of time that aint bad.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Huh, not on any of the ones I've played or owned.

one game that it's really bad on is ghostbusters, run your hand down the playfield you'll see what I'm talking about. Compare it with their newer games or another manufacture. I would assume it's the same with GOT since it was made in the same time frame, I have one, I remember thinking it was the same but not as bad. it's not like super uneven, but it's definitely not flat. like the inserts weren't leveled correctly or something. real close, but not quite.

it's probably not going to impede anything at least not noticeably.

they have done a lot better job with it with the last few games. with guardians there were no uneven levels, think that's when I noticed the difference.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Mine was fine and the clear was really think on that one. None of mine has ever impeded the ball that I remember...and certain(t)ly never got a ball "hung up" by it.

well, not sure what to tell you, maybe it's just the sterns I bought from that time frame.
Never said the levels were going to "hang up" the ball. Uneven levels probably would slow a moving object down to some degree, not noticeable to you or me though.
not sure if I said it in my post, I meant the mylar has a tendency to hang up slow moving pinballs. which was an added benefit of installing one of these. had mylar interfere on several occasions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 21.50
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pf-protectors?tu=hocuslocus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.