(Topic ID: 86912)

PF overlay ? Why not..

By dozer1

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mmafter.jpg
    mmbefore.jpg
    GLRestored3.jpg
    lizard.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider prowlerman99.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 10 years ago

I have done quite a few playfield overlays in the past and when done correctly they look as good as the original. However it does take quite a bit of work to do it right. I sand the entire playfield smooth, lay on about 3 coats of clear, wet sand smooth, place the overlay of the playfield, cut out and remove all the faux wood and let it sit for about a week. It is then sprayed with Bulldog adhesive promoter then apply another 3 coats of clear. Wet block sand again to level all the edges and apply another 3 finish coats. After wet sanding & buffing they look beautiful. With the clear finish they play as good/fast as an original clear coated playfields and with the real wood showing they look original. I have seen some repro playfield from Europe that are basically just overlays, not screened.
    However I also only use the overlays with clear inserts, also so you can see the true color of the insert.
    Below are pics of a MM I did about 5 years ago. Lucky I was able to find a NOS playfield to scan and had small overlays made to cover the wear.

Brianmmafter.jpgmmafter.jpg.mmbefore.jpgmmbefore.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider prowlerman99.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pf-overlay-why-not?tu=prowlerman99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.