Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017-12-12_selfie_mode_discovery.gif
    2017-08-26_Selfie Mode.gif
    images (resized).jpg
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

JJP builds these amazing, beautiful games, but it really gets my goat that they put the camera at the least flattering angle ever. I often joke that there must be no females on their development team, because any woman will tell you that is NOT a good angle. I'm sure there's a technical reason for the placement, but cripes! It's like accidentally opening the front-facing camera on your phone.

Love you JJP, please consider this request. (Half-kidding.)

#2 4 years ago

Get rid of them all together.

#3 4 years ago

Cameras don’t belong on a pinball machine. Be gone with them!

#4 4 years ago

i think the camera is a fun gimmick. And i totally agree with you, a very unflattering angle.

#5 4 years ago

OMG

#6 4 years ago

This is seriously a thing?

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

You must be old and ugly like me?

#8 4 years ago

It’s even worse if you are tall

#9 4 years ago

You can disable the camera on JJP games by the player .

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Might lower the price of their games a tad!

#11 4 years ago

Wait till they have all pinball machines with cameras hooked to the internet through WiFi, and they start taking photos or clips while you play, capturing moments just after scoring big jackpots, then streaming those pics or snippets of video to idle machines everywhere showing people in attract mode how much fun other players are having right now (in real time) on this same title at other places on earth... this is my idea, and it’s patent pending...

Operators would eat it up if it increases the drop.

#12 4 years ago

I actually love watching the high score photos scroll and seeing my buddies and family next to the scores. It’s hilarious and a unique touch IMO. Nobody is judging

Agree with the camera angle not being ideal for a glamour shot though!

#13 4 years ago

I got a Wonka here now that I am cleaning for the route. It is a bad angle, but it doesn't show my bad spot. I have been getting good with the timing and getting some good shots of me flipping the bird without getting fuzzy.

#14 4 years ago

The cameras are cool. Don’t like it, disable it in settings. Pretty simple fix. As for angle, where exactly would you suggest putting it instead?

#15 4 years ago

You can either disable it via settings or if that isn't available because you are playing on location, you can
    hold in the flipper when you hit start.

The angle isn't flattering? It's a small picture on a pinball machine screen. Are people really that vain?

Options are available, no reason to eliminate a feature for everyone just because a few don't like it.

#16 4 years ago

Easy. Put it somewhere about 2/3 the way up the backbox. About eye level level for the average player.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Easy. Put it somewhere about 2/3 the way up the backbox. About eye level level for the average player.

Easy? Seriously?

The display essentially takes up the whole backbox. The camera either goes on the top or the bottom of the backbox.

I guess there is some room to put it at the top but it would break up the artwork and then people would be complaining
    it's too high and its taking a picture of their bald spot or some other complaint.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I don’t really see how putting your picture on the screen is a feature that players care about or request. Yank the cameras out and use that money on something else for the build. Nobody cares about this feature or wants it.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from phalcon_2600:

I don’t really see how putting your picture on the screen is a feature that players care about or request. Yank the cameras out and use that money on something else for the build. Nobody cares about this feature or wants it.

Ya, 'nobody' cares about it or wants it.

I guess you didn't read the other responses in this very thread.

#20 4 years ago

It sounds like a lot of people like the feature. As an owner of both Dialed In and Pirates I think the camera feature is innovative and adds another layer of fun to games. When I see high score pics on location from Dialed In, Pirates, and Wonka probably 95% of the reactions are people smiling. The other 5% are usually looks of confusion or no reaction lol.

It's cool seeing high score pictures in Dialed In plus the funny reactions during the selfie mode, and your picture on a high score wanted poster in Pirates. Pinball is fun and I think the camera feature in JJP games only adds to the fun experience that pinball offers.

The camera haters may want to ask why other manufacturers are charging the same price (or more) for games without a camera + all the programming work that goes into it. It's not because they are putting the money into other areas either...that's for sure.

#21 4 years ago

Non-pinheads absolutely LOVE the camera on our route. It's brilliant, if you don't get it - that's okay. If you don't like it , turn it off.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Wait till they have all pinball machines with cameras hooked to the internet through WiFi

If it isn't bad enough people wearing all those painter's masks, then this might become the new normal for many pinball players.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
    #23 4 years ago
    Quoted from CafeOne:

Non-pinheads absolutely LOVE the camera on our route. It's brilliant, if you don't get it - that's okay. If you don't like it , turn it off.

This.

Want to get a 20 something millenial guy or especially girl to try pinball? Show them the selfie mode.

I am a right flipper disable guy by preference when playing however the camera feature definitely draws in a lot of new comer players which is a great thing imo

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from FYMF:

Want to get a 20 something millenial guy or especially girl to try pinball?

Not that I care who tries pinball, but theming a game like Rick and Morty instead of some movies only old people care about now, is more likely to draw them in than some camera.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Not that I care who tries pinball, but theming a game like Rick and Morty instead of some movies only old people care about now, is more likely to draw them in than some camera.

Agreed RaM will do more but that still doesnt take away from the affect JJP has to attract younger crowds with a unique innovation that pulls on a generationally familiar phenomenon.

I think it was a good step for bringing in younger players and I wouldnt want to see it removed.

Especially little kids right? That little screen as described is exactly just that to some of us adults but have you seen the look on a child's face when all of a sudden he is on TV?

It is a cool toy and helps the proliferation of pin addicts imo

EDIT: I would always love to see more people try pinball simply because more people who try it, the more $ being spent which in turns means more machines available down the road right...

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from CafeOne:

I wish I could post a bunch of mp4s I saved from the security camera we had on pins at locations straight to this, but the reactions from people on the route to Dialed In selfies and later jjPotC Wanted posters was 100% positive. The stuff they SAY when they figure it out is pretty funny, too, but you can't get that from a gif. Here's a couple guys discovering selfie mode on Dialed In. Their body language expresses their delight pretty well...
    2017-08-26_Selfie Mode.gif2017-08-26_Selfie Mode.gif

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

The angle isn't flattering? It's a small picture on a pinball machine screen. Are people really that vain?

This exactly.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

People are not. Women, by and large, are - unless it's someone ELSE having unflattering selfie shots taken by the machine, then they think it's hilarious.

This is not true. In my experience, the general public LOVES it, and I have the videos of their first-time reactions to prove it. Cranky home users can disable the camera.

#29 4 years ago

I always thought the picture was cool too. I also agree, camera should be moved up a bit.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

I always thought the picture was cool too. I also agree, camera should be moved up a bit.

The problem is the giant LCD screen is in the way. The webcam can be at the top of the screen aimed slightly down (which is much worse) or the bottom of the screen aimed slightly up, which is what JJP went with. Sterns with the smaller spike screen could have much better placement, but for JJP it is what it is. Works well enough for a novelty item.

#31 4 years ago

Nothing compares to photobombing a friend on DI during Selfie Mode.

#32 4 years ago

Shoot, they should put microphones on them too, get the entire audio/visual immersive experience. A algorithm could capture key phrases from the players and send it to google or apple, would be great!
    Facial recognition could be employed to help out the local LEO in case a bad person decided to play a game. Think of all the cold cases that could be solved, Municipalities could recap parking ticket revenue, a win-win for everyone.

#33 4 years ago

You've pretty much described the Ring video doorbell and involuntary participation in law enforcement actions Amazon enrolls you in by having one.

#34 4 years ago

Ha it could def be at a better angle for sure but it's new tech, I was just thinking today how low quality it will appear in like 10 years after the tech advances.

there are a lot of folks that really hate the camera, usually old fat asses wearing tin foil hats

EDIT: obviously the next step is moving to video and AR Emojis/cartoons....or whatever the general term is, that will be a big hit.
    What the hell is that term?

Quoted from o-din:

It's not either or. Imagine if R&M had a camera and turned the player into Rick when they are playing, or diff'rent characters for diff'rent modes etc

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Imagine if R&M had a camera and turned the player into Rick when they are playing, or diff'rent characters for diff'rent modes etc

All I need is to stick to my program of heavy doses of Jack D and potent kush, and this player does become Rick.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It sounds like a lot of people like the feature. As an owner of both Dialed In and Pirates I think the camera feature is innovative and adds another layer of fun to games. When I see high score pics on location from Dialed In, Pirates, and Wonka probably 95% of the reactions are people smiling. The other 5% are usually looks of confusion or no reaction lol.
    It's cool seeing high score pictures in Dialed In plus the funny reactions during the selfie mode, and your picture on a high score wanted poster in Pirates. Pinball is fun and I think the camera feature in JJP games only adds to the fun experience that pinball offers.
    The camera haters may want to ask why other manufacturers are charging the same price (or more) for games without a camera + all the programming work that goes into it. It's not because they are putting the money into other areas either...that's for sure.

I’d pay more for a camera delete model, kind of like the WOZ Yellow Brick Road minus the monkey mech.

I didn’t realize how much hair I’d lost until I played DI.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I’d pay more for a camera delete model, kind of like the WOZ Yellow Brick Road minus the monkey mech.
    I didn’t realize how much hair I’d lost until I played DI.

jjPotC fixed that with pirate hats auto-added to pictures.

#38 4 years ago

My wife would love it. You know, When we lock the door and I bend her over the machine...

She likes to watch.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Have you priced cameras lately? That camera costs the same or less than a single coil and not to mention there is basically no software code to be written. Its a cheap gimmick no matter how you look at it. I would much rather have something interactive on the playfield than on the screen. I can understand putting the camera on DI because of the theme, but not on every game. Even JJP had to admit this is not for everyone and finally put a disable feature on the camera because so many people were complaining and so many cameras were being disabled or covered with duct tape on location.

#40 4 years ago

Move it right to the trash.

#41 4 years ago

Camera feature is great.

#42 4 years ago

Cmon, this post is boring with no pics!! Lets see some of those unflattering shots

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Have you priced cameras lately? That camera costs the same or less than a single coil and not to mention there is basically no software code to be written. Its a cheap gimmick no matter how you look at it. I would much rather have something interactive on the playfield than on the screen. I can understand putting the camera on DI because of the theme, but not on every game. Even JJP had to admit this is not for everyone and finally put a disable feature on the camera because so many people were complaining and so many cameras were being disabled or covered with duct tape on location.

You must be mistaken.

This is, after all, a JJP game. I’d heard the camera uses a Zeiss lens.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from modfather:

You can disable the camera on JJP games by the player .

Good to know! I hate the cameras too, but love every JJP game otherwise

#45 4 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize so many people disliked the camera feature! It is a fun gimmick, and I can see how people would find it distracting.

This was meant to be light-hearted, I'm certainly not serious. I just think it's funny that they put all this effort into integrating a camera, then choose the worst possible angle. Photography basics.

Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Cmon, this post is boring with no pics!! Lets see some of those unflattering shots

I have no evidence! I like this idea though...

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Why not have more on the playfield + the camera? That's what JJP has done. Why can't other manufacturers do the same that are charging similar prices?

Also, it sounds like you are well underestimating the programming work. Yes, taking the picture itself isn't that difficult. Integrating pictures with gameplay, mapping to high scores, using image recognition to map an eye patch over eyes, etc takes far more work. I suppose if it was so easy anyone would be doing it...

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Why not have more on the playfield + the camera?

Camera doesn't make sense on most games and a lot of people flat out don't like them. I would like to have a T-Rex head eating balls on every game if we can use your logic.

#48 4 years ago

Money maker:
    Since they're adding wireless why not add a menu enable option to enable an optional small touch screen for people to put in the email address and have a picture emailed for .50. Kids are selfie taken vain little shits these days. Brilliant I say!

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Camera doesn't make sense on most games and a lot of people flat out don't like them. I would like to have a T-Rex head eating balls on every game if we can use your logic.

Seems like operators are saying otherwise and one in this thread has even shown proof. I have no doubt that some people don't like the camera feature, it just seems like a majority of players find it fun.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

Money maker:
    Since they're adding wireless why not add a menu enable option to enable an optional small touch screen for people to put in the email address and have a picture emailed for .50. Kids are selfie taken vain little shits these days. Brilliant I say!

Golden Tee had a feature like that. I don't know if they still do. For 50¢ you could put a great shot on Youtube.

LTG : )

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/petition-to-move-jjp-cameras and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.