(Topic ID: 75339)

Petition: Put Carol Marcus back in Star Trek!

By frolic

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Wolfanoz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Do you want the Carol Marcus match screen added back to Star Trek”

• Yes 58 votes
    58%
  • No 14 votes
    14%
  • Don't Care 28 votes
    28%

(100 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

XMen DMD.jpg
carolmarcus.jpg
For Science.jpg
Doing Science-628.jpg
STLE.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Come on, put the best match screen back in. Just add it to the rotation with the others.

#2 8 years ago

How about not. the image was laughably awful, but the joke fell flat. Leave it out.

#3 8 years ago

ok, added a poll so those that are for/against can make it known.

#4 8 years ago

Is it still in the new code could I check it out in pinball browser?

#5 8 years ago

The "placeholder" image is still in the code. So should the poll go sideways, Pinball browser could be an option if you're really up to it.

#6 8 years ago

I want Carol back in because she had a great accent and a nice hairstyle.

#7 8 years ago

Ugh, please no, that was so embarrassingly bad.

#8 8 years ago

Wait a minute, my STLE never had her!! I only see the Gorn and Kirk with Cat chicks. What gives?

#9 8 years ago

Why is it that everyone said it was gratuitous when it was in the movie yet highly desirable now?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from PinSpinner:

Why is it that everyone said it was gratuitous when it was in the movie yet highly desirable now?

At least in the movie there was a little context. In the DMD animation is just felt kinda sad.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with tits and ass in pinball. A fine, fine tradition. But I personally found that animation tasteless and demeaning. Kirk horndogging it up with two alien chicks? All good, totally fits the movie. The only representation of one of the movie characters being a cheesy low rez dots shot of her in her underwear? It just felt tacky.

I might be in the minority on this one.

#11 8 years ago

Does anyone have video of the actual animation. I think the whole battle is hysterical and want to see what everyone is getting worked up about.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from dt3:

Does anyone have video of the actual animation. I think the whole battle is hysterical and want to see what everyone is getting worked up about.

I'm going from memory here, I played a pro on location before Expo with it, but the doors slide open, she's there in her underwear (and it's dots, so forget it being sexy, it's a rough cartoon) and then the doors close. Or something roughly like that.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from dt3:

I don't think there ever was an animation. It was just a single frame with a voice-over. Here it is...still in ST:LE 1.40.

STLE.jpg
#14 8 years ago

All I would ask for is THE GORN!

Is he in there somewhere?

rd.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

All I would ask for is THE GORN!
Is he in there somewhere?
rd.

He's one of the the Match animation bits. It randomly rotates between Gorn and Kirk w/ Alien Chicks.

I'd be for adding Carol back if they re-draw her to actually look sexy and not like a cross-eyed panhandler.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

He's one of the the Match animation bits. It randomly rotates between Gorn and Kirk w/ Alien Chicks.
I'd be for adding Carol back if they re-draw her to actually look sexy and not like a cross-eyed panhandler.

Has there ever been a truly sexy set of dots? Even Elvira looks ridiculous at 128x32.

#17 8 years ago

If there was an LCD I'd take Carol Marcus.............meanwhile I'm plenty happy with a Whole Lotta Rosie.......

Are you kidding me with the "dots".......

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Has there ever been a truly sexy set of dots? Even Elvira looks ridiculous at 128x32.

I think ToM has some sexy girls in the dots...Levitating Woman, Metamorphosis, etc.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think ToM has some sexy girls in the dots...Levitating Woman, Metamorphosis, etc.

That's my boy Jpop, but hey, nothing is sexy in "dots"........

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's my boy Jpop, but hey, nothing is sexy in "dots"........

Voltaire is sexy! How about Quorra & Gem in Tron? Yeah they're dots but they're sexier than that gimpy Carol drawing!

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Voltaire is sexy! How about Quorra & Gem in Tron? Yeah they're dots but they're sexier than that gimpy Carol drawing!

CV is sexy as hell, but "dots"........I'd rather look at Rosie doing squats and pumping up her big rack on Acdc, at least it looks like something!

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

CV is sexy as hell, but "dots"........I'd rather look at Rosie doing squats and pumping up her big rack on Acdc, at least it looks like something!

There's plenty of fantastic "dot-mation"...the popularity of ColorDMD confirms that. A good artist can even use a limited tool like a DMD screen and portray nice character designs and animation.

#23 8 years ago

1 day in, 82% for YES or I don't care.

The simple way to satisfy the No vote would be to make it a selectable option.

#24 8 years ago

Yes, put it back. Would be cool to see all three match scores implemented.

#25 8 years ago

I don't think her boobs are as big in the movie as they are in the dmd animation.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

I don't think her boobs are as big in the movie as they are in the dmd animation.

I don't see the down side there

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The simple way to satisfy the No vote would be to make it a selectable option.

Sounds like a good solution, though I doubt they'd go for it.

#28 8 years ago

Let us compare....FOR SCIENCE!

Doing Science-628.jpg

For Science.jpg

I honestly don't remember Kirk with the alien chicks or the alien in either of the Star Trek movies. So the deleted match sequence seems to fit the theme better in my opinion. That being said, I would vote to keep all 3.

#29 8 years ago

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'll take the top pic!

#30 8 years ago

New years day bump. The Yes vote is dominating, followed by Don't Care.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'll take the top pic!

Ditto

#32 8 years ago

Still think they are bigger in the animation. Why is here left arm up in the air like that? It doesn't match the movie at all.

#33 8 years ago

here's the original image pixelated to around the same res as the redrawn one, you can see they didn't have much choice than to redraw it and take some liberties. All said, I think the drawn one isn't half bad, and funny so I'd like to see it back in the game.

carolmarcus.jpg

#34 8 years ago

Still think they are bigger in the animation. Why is here left arm up in the air like that? It doesn't match the movie at all.

I think you would find that most of the animations are not an attempt to 100% recreate what is shown in the movies. I think the DMD animators at Stern do an incredible job. Everything from X-Men on has been excellent. I would much rather have 100% custom / cartoony dots to over compressed live action clips anytime. In Transformers, and even more so in AC/DC, they were staring to take these steps in the right direction.

PS: As an example of the mostly unseen detail that goes in some DMD animations I post these 4 frames from X-Men. This is a sequence before multiball start. It shows the locked balls circling around Magneto. Then as the balls release for multiball it shows an animation of him hurling the balls toward the "camera". You can see in these shots that the DMD animator went to the trouble of drawing a reflection of Cyclops in the reflection of the balls as they hurl toward the player. Now that's a nice touch of detail.

XMen DMD.jpg

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I would much rather have 100% custom / cartoony dots to over compressed live action clips anytime.

This 100x. Even the most cartoony and silly dots are better than horrible movie clips at 128x32 on a dot grid. Work with the medium, instead of trying to fight it.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

You can see in these shots that the DMD animator went to the trouble of drawing a reflection of Cyclops in the reflection of the balls as they hurl toward the player. Now that's a nice touch of detail.

Wow! Never noticed that! That's the type of thing you'd notice if it was converted to ColorDMD! So many bits of detail and animation come to life. Here's hoping ColorDMD will eventually get around to some of the late model custom dot Sterns!

#37 8 years ago

It's cool - just needs some background. The more animations the better. Maybe they could add some other characters too it.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Here's hoping ColorDMD will eventually get around to some of the late model custom dot Sterns!

One more reason to get that finished code out!

1 week later
#39 8 years ago

Didn't realize this was in the game until I saw it on a video on Youtube of the end of the game. I'd like this back too. I'm sure some feminazi group didn't care for it but it's part of the movie anyway and it fits perfectly for that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 6.00
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
6,600 (Firm)
Sale Pending! Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!