Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 170 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinmister
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Petition for Stern Pinball to move QR reader from apron to coin door”

• Yes-I petition Stern to move the QR reader to the coin door location or provide a kit to do so 48 votes
      18%
    • No-the QR reader does not bother me and I prefer it be kept on the apron location 95 votes
      36%
    • Prefer to have QR reader provided as a kit that can be installed in either location or left off 49 votes
      19%
    • I like Pizza 70 votes
      27%

(262 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

qr sideways (resized).jpg
    qr coindoor (resized).jpg
    qr kit (resized).jpg
    Stoner Bro (resized).jpg
    hear the chatter.gif
    calling bs (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    QR reader example (resized).jpg
    PinGulp (resized).jpg
    CupFone XL (resized).jpg
    aprongate2 (resized).jpg
    aprongate (resized).jpg
    Pizza!.gif
    I like pizza.gif
    Rolling eyes gif.gif
    BA446787-216C-440F-A294-A4CA7B7FDA09 (resized).jpeg
    There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Indeed. Here's my response from that thread:
    Casual players wouldn't notice it. Folks in the industry told me what an "a-ha!" moment it was to have the action button start a game, because so many noobs can't see the giant backlit START button on front of the game, even after putting money in the coin door.
    Pretty sure an operator posted a video of someone pressing the action button to start a game, again to launch the ball, and continuing to smack it, trying to flip. They had no idea there were buttons on the side. This is the level of location ignorance Stern has to overcome. The QR camera has to be in your face.
    (I know, casual players won't have an insider account or a QR code anyway. The point is to get them in the door.)

So they'll be completely dumbfounded when they walk up to a game that doesn't have an action button.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

How is a bright ass light coming from the coin door not in your face?

Is this a trick question? Uh, because I'm not two feet tall. Did you take that photo from a standing position?

Quoted from pinmister:

I seriously scratch my head at what the difference would be from apron to coin door for people.

Because it's not your business to fathom how unobservant the average person can be. Stern's job is catering to them.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

So they'll be completely dumbfounded when they walk up to a game that doesn't have an action button.

Sad but true. I think it was Josh Sharpe who told me that some players literally didn't know what to do after putting money in, until Stern added the action button.

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The apron light is brighter than some of the people complaining about it

For the fucking win!!!!!

Update: 19 of 125 respondents (that's 15 percent) of dumb straw poll would sign a petition ordering Stern to relocate the QR reader to crotch level.

This campaign is taking off like wildfire!!!

One more stupid bright light gif. might just take it over the top!!!

#55 2 years ago

Most people on here use leds and mod lights you can see from space on their games... somehow this QR is annoying?

Odd bunch you pinball people.

#56 2 years ago

It seems like a lot of pinsiders are using this feature.I havent registered mine yet altough its on a couple of my machines.I am either going to register or cover them up today.Im trying to see if theres a downside to using it.At this point I vote for the pie.

#57 2 years ago

Stern isn't going to put any more effort into the qr reader at this point. I guarantee someone will make a kit to move it to the coindoor or other location though. Just wait a little bit longer. Now all I need is a pin that would be able to support it

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

What are your thoughts about the QR reader located on the apron of Stern pinball machines? Would you rather have it located on the coin door? Does it bother you being located on the apron? Is it an eyesore where it is currently located? Do you like Pizza?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Pizza is a food group in my opinion.

As to the QR reader, it is of no interest to me whatsoever, so if it was removed completely, I would be happy with that.

I find it annoying, so if it has to stay, I would prefer it would be placed underneath the machine completely out of sight.

That being said, what Hayfarmer posted looks like a great way to handle it.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

I guarantee someone will make a kit to move it to the coindoor

Yup, already done.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Yup, already done.

Wow, that was fast.

This thread is GETTING RESULTS.

#61 2 years ago

100% will never happen. It's a great location for home games, shitty place for public games

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

For the fucking win!!!!!
    Update: 19 of 125 respondents (that's 15 percent) of dumb straw poll would sign a petition ordering Stern to relocate the QR reader to crotch level.
    This campaign is taking off like wildfire!!!
    One more stupid bright light gif. might just take it over the top!!!

Oh God, I voted pizza - but, based on the results, I just can't see why people don't like pizza as much as I do. Someone find me a thread somewhere!

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

How is a bright ass light coming from the coin door not in your face?

Seriously, what does this mean?

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It means this...

CaC32bc (resized).pngCaC32bc (resized).png
    #65 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It means you are bent over and your face is near the coin door. I guess.

#66 2 years ago

Personally I wouldn't want a game with this on it and if I did buy one because I didn't have a choice I'd disconnect it and cover it with something useful or whatever. To me it should be optional entirely but I see all distros now, probably being forced by Stern, are shipping with this on any NIB game. The one poster who mentioned putting it on the coinbox so it was out of sight, out of mind, makes the most sense to me if you're forced to have it.

Jeff

#67 2 years ago

let's start a petition to drop the Node boards and go back to Whitestar please

#68 2 years ago

OK so if people aren't familiar or haven't made up their mind; can you please point out the overly bright eyesore everyone is referring to?
    20220321_224931.jpg20220321_224931.jpg

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

OK so if people aren't familiar or haven't made up their mind; can you please point out the overly bright eyesore everyone is referring to?

Buy those, you won't see that bluish eyesore no more. You're welcome!

Polish_20220322_011526856 (resized).pngPolish_20220322_011526856 (resized).png
    #70 2 years ago

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

let's start a petition to drop the Node boards and go back to Whitestar please

Same energy

#72 2 years ago

Are we not gonna talk about the real elephant in the room? Nobody has quarters anymore, those are only good for springing the lock on a piggy bank full of more stupid quarters. Keep the QR scanner on the apron, put the DBA where the quarter slots were, and where the DBA is, put something that punches you in the junk whenever you start a stupid thread on Pinside (yes, yes, I would be vulnerable too but at least I would think twice).

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

[quoted image]

Is it not coded to turn off once a game starts?

#74 2 years ago

Everyone here complains when Stern doesn't give them something new; then Stern provides something new & everyone still complains

#75 2 years ago

I find the QR reader to be completely useless in home use. I don't wanna admire my pinball achievements on my phone. That is what attract mode is for while drinking a beer. Would I like the QR reader to be an option from Stern? Yes. Do I expect them to do that? No.
    I printed a small picture and placed it over the QR reader. It makes an excellent backlight. Problem solved. No more eyesore.

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from nocreditdot:

I find the QR reader to be completely useless in home use. I don't wanna admire my pinball achievements on my phone. That is what attract mode is for while drinking a beer. Would I like the QR reader to be an option from Stern? Yes. Do I expect them to do that? No.
    I printed a small picture and placed it over the QR reader. It makes an excellent backlight. Problem solved. No more eyesore.

Dude they pop up on the LCD screen that you unlocked achievement you don't need to view on PC or phone...

#77 2 years ago

Why do we need to be shown our achievements? Seems goofy to me

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Because video game companies figured out almost 20 years ago people like the dopamine drip of achievements even when they're playing poorly. A sense of persistent progression hooks some people.

Stern is finally catching on, and just wait till Stern learns about microtransactions...

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Why do we need to be shown our scores? Seems goofy to me.
    Why do we need to be show what mode we’re in? Seems goofy to me.
    Why do we need to see how many credits are in the machine? Seems goofy to me.
    Why do we need to see how many left outlane drains a machine’s had? Seems goofy to me.
    Why do we need to hear the machine yelling at me that we’ve tilted? Seems goofy to me.

I’m starting to think we might not actually like pinball

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

just wait till Stern learns about microtransactions...

You know that moment in planet of the pins where weir pinball discovers a giant quarter buried in the sand?

25 cents per-play is the OG microtransaction.

#81 2 years ago

Everything I need to see pops up in attract mode.

Quoted from acedanger:

Dude they pop up on the LCD screen that you unlocked achievement you don't need to view on PC or phone...

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Oh God, I voted pizza - but, based on the results, I just can't see why people don't like pizza as much as I do. Someone find me a thread somewhere!

Like the DBA mod that already exists we also have a Pinside pizza thread already in existence.

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Please vote honestly-inquiring minds want to know!

I voted honestly (move it to the coin door). However after seeing your mock up photo of it, I DEMAND a heater be installed with it. That way it can be a coin door coin purse warmer.

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

Why do we need to be shown our scores? Seems goofy to me.
    Why do we need to be show what mode we’re in? Seems goofy to me.
    Why do we need to see how many credits are in the machine? Seems goofy to me.
    Why do we need to see how many left outlane drains a machine’s had? Seems goofy to me.
    Why do we need to hear the machine yelling at me that we’ve tilted? Seems goofy to me.
    I’m starting to think we might not actually like pinball

I guess I'm not interested in a participation award for playing a game. Different generation I guess, and the reader is a damn eyesore on the aprons. Im fully in the o.p. camp of having it optional, although I know it never will be.

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I guess I'm not interested in a participation award for playing a game. Different generation I guess, and the reader is a damn eyesore on the aprons. Im fully in the o.p. camp of having it optional, although I know it never will be.

I see everything I need to on my backbox display I must hate pinball.Doh

#86 2 years ago

I just think the sticker advertising insider connected on the head of the machine is ugly and a waste of space.

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I guess I'm not interested in a participation award for playing a game. Different generation I guess...

Well this new generation doesn't even care aboot scores, just "The Journey" so its a confusing time

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well this new generation doesn't even care aboot scores, just "The Journey" so its a confusing time

Hey, I'm not knocking anyone. My preference is to not have it, I'd rather pay an upcharge for it if I desired. Which of course we are being charged for it already

#89 2 years ago

Who wouldn't want a camera pointed right at their crotch!?

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from unclerudy:

I just think the sticker advertising insider connected on the head of the machine is ugly and a waste of space.

It comes right off. I’ll put it on my refrigerator, and direct the IC newbies there to register.

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lopa:

Who wouldn't want a camera pointed right at their crotch!?

Anyone under 50 has had a camera in the crotch for decades.

#92 2 years ago

Not a single newb that comes to my place ever knows how to start an older game. A flashing button by your crotch doesn’t grab your attention from 6” away. However, they all punch the lockdown bar button on SW Premium to start a game no problem. Having the QR reader where it is easy to see and accessible is a no brainer but I do like the option of a kit to move it if you wish.

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Hey, I'm not knocking anyone. My preference is to not have it, I'd rather pay an upcharge for it if I desired. Which of course we are being charged for it already

Agree. I don't mind it, but dollars better towards toys and game parts

#94 2 years ago

I think Stern giving the option is a great idea making all games QR in the door is not. I do not like it on the apron, a conversion kit for every game would be yet another way for stern to make money!!!

#95 2 years ago

This thread is useless, Stern won't change something just because of a petition here.

Also, I like pizza.

#96 2 years ago

Pinball to me is more than just a game and a mechanical/engineering marvel

Pinball is also a work of art

I see the qr light on the apron ruining the look of the overall playfield/art scheme

So what is it that I want?

I really just want Stern to recognize that not everyone wants this feature located on the apron

So what can Stern do?

What I would like Stern to do is leave the aesthetic look of the apron alone. Have the games ship with normal graphics & normal instruction cards and give their loyal patrons an opportunity to make their own choice. Provide a kit that can be installed in either location or left off. Quit pushing this on everyone and make it an option. Allow owners and operators to also disconnect the feature in settings if they choose to do so(should not have to un-plug).

I also want to say God Bless America and being able to have the freedom to make choices
    American Flag (resized).jpgAmerican Flag (resized).jpg

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

The one poster who mentioned putting it on the coinbox so it was out of sight, out of mind, makes the most sense to me if you're forced to have it.

Thank you Jeff appreciate the kind words and positive feedback

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from nocreditdot:

Would I like the QR reader to be an option from Stern? Yes

More and more pinsiders agree

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I voted honestly (move it to the coin door)

Two thumbs up Dave

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mark1971:

I do not like it on the apron

Agree

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/petition-for-stern-pinball-to-move-qr-reader-from-apron-to-coin-door/page/2?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.