(Topic ID: 6192)

Petition for Lyman to finish the WOF code ...

By gweempose

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by sebseb12
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SA.jpg
#1 12 years ago

I just started an online petition for Lyman to finish the WOF code:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/wof/

I happen to think WOF is already a great game, but there is no denying
that it has the potential to be so much better if the code is
finished. Even if you aren't a big WOF fan, I still strongly encourage
you to sign the petition. Our solidarity will help to show Stern how
we feel about unfinished software, and any improvement to one of our
precious pins is undeniably good for the community as a whole.

Thanks, guys!

#2 12 years ago

I emailed Stern about this.......what a suprise, I got no reply!!

I agree on principle that a game should be finished, especially as it has inserts that were meant to be used!

#3 12 years ago

Money would probably be the answer but it would be expensive.

#4 12 years ago

Maybe they just need time to finish it, or maybe it didn't test good so there is a rewrite happening...

I'm wondering how much time it takes to do the software from scratch? I'm sure different games take longer then others...

#5 12 years ago

Signed it, always killed me that they let a great Nordman design go down the tubes with unfinished code.

#6 12 years ago

Did this game get sold/released not finished? or whats the story with this code?

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

whats the story with this code?

Date of manufacture is 2007 according to the auto link info. I've never played it. What's not finished about it. Vanna don't turn the letters?

#8 12 years ago

Is there a WOF in Gweem's future?

#9 12 years ago

It would be an awesome move on Stern's part to do this. Seems like a worthy investment to build up some goodwill with their customers - whether you own a WOF or not.

#10 12 years ago

Just Signed up.

#11 12 years ago

WOF is a real underated pin.......love the way you have to nudge!

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

It would be an awesome move on Stern's part to do this. Seems like a worthy investment to build up some goodwill with their customers - whether you own a WOF or not.

That's my sentiment exactly. The community has bought thousands of games from Stern. Finishing WOF would be a great opportunity for them to give something back to the people that have helped to keep them afloat all these years.

#13 12 years ago

Stern sold less than 1000 WOFs (and even then a bunch were on closeout as I'm sure everyone remembers). I guarantee you no one there gives two shits about that game. Heck, it was hard to get anyone to care about it then, either. When your manager is supposed to be your helper on the game and he's spending all this time doing other stuff instead of actually helping, I guess you can see the extent they cared.

For a brief period of time last year, I was in discussions to go back. Whether I did or not I was offered a dev system to finish it up if I wanted. I was tempted, but with a fulltime job at another game company and no discernible benefit to me (and with the negative benefit of taking time away from my family), there was no way at the time it was going to happen. Chances are that offer currently doesn't stand open.

I said this on rgp quite some time ago... Can someone at Stern finish the game? Of course they can. They own it and it's their right. But it definitely wouldn't be the original vision of the game. Maybe people don't care about that, maybe they do? I don't really know. I probably wouldn't update mine, though (and yes I still have it; I have all the games I was lead on). Besides, with the code of almost every game of the past 2+ years basically being a cut-and-paste job from game-to-game anyway, they probably really need to concentrate on product they're trying to produce.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Stern sold less than 1000 WOFs (and even then a bunch were on closeout as I'm sure everyone remembers). I guarantee you no one there gives two shits about that game. Heck, it was hard to get anyone to care about it then, either. When your manager is supposed to be your helper on the game and he's spending all this time doing other stuff instead of actually helping, I guess you can see the extent they cared.

For a brief period of time last year, I was in discussions to go back. Whether I did or not I was offered a dev system to finish it up if I wanted. I was tempted, but with a fulltime job at another game company and no discernible benefit to me (and with the negative benefit of taking time away from my family), there was no way at the time it was going to happen. Chances are that offer currently doesn't stand open.

I said this on rgp quite some time ago... Can someone at Stern finish the game? Of course they can. They own it and it's their right. But it definitely wouldn't be the original vision of the game. Maybe people don't care about that, maybe they do? I don't really know. I probably wouldn't update mine, though (and yes I still have it; I have all the games I was lead on). Besides, with the code of almost every game of the past 2+ years basically being a cut-and-paste job from game-to-game anyway, they probably really need to concentrate on product they're trying to produce.

So much good info, thank you. I have played WOF a lot as it is in the Union of the University of Nebraska, and the game could certainly use a little love to finish it. As P_K said, I doubt Stern will ever make it a priority to get it done.
P_K could you tell us more about the development process of games nowadays?

#15 12 years ago

Keith,

I wasn't involved in the hobby back when WOF came out. Why exactly did Stern halt development on the WOF software? Was it simply because the game didn't sell very well and Gary wasn't willing to sink any more money into it?

#16 12 years ago

I guarantee you no one there gives two shits about that game.

Sad but true, I loved playing WOF at PHOF. Too bad Dennis got the short end of that stick, it should of happened years ago.
I guess we could start chanting W-O-F, W-O-F...
That, or bust out the boom-box in front of Gary's window.

SA.jpgSA.jpg
Hey, it could happen...

3 years later
#17 9 years ago

I signed the petition.
Hoping to read the stern.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

5,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Suffern, NY
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/petition-for-lyman-to-finish-the-wof-code and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.