Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 212 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 days ago by snowy_owl
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

773803D6-B164-4B0F-A05E-3DDEDA6CE4A4 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    16743077325034188041920070473932 (resized).jpg
    noone (resized).png
    AA3D6246-8BCD-4503-83AC-FBEE49934CD3 (resized).jpeg
    review-44 (resized).jpg
    1e6 (resized).jpg
    C4DC12A7-48D7-40CA-8853-D70373528EE7 (resized).jpeg
    411E5978-1352-4CBA-952C-52E655C5FDFC (resized).jpeg
    dsb1.gif
    DpQ9YJl.png
    how-did-that-feel-how-do-you-feel (1).gif

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hench4Life:

Also, hate that people associate spelling with intelligence. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, and some words just don’t make sense in my head.

This -

My good friend can barely spell or do basic math yet just retired from Ford where he was an engineer. He has a natural talent for diagnosing and repairing electrical and mechanical things that can't be taught in any classroom. It's funny, in today's world he wouldn't even get hired (though he did pick up as associates degree along the way just to shut people up, eventually lol).

I work with people of many nationalities - Spanish, Japanese, German, and almost daily I hear my co-workers slamming them about spelling or punctuation. Sometimes I turn to them and say "Hey, they speak 2 (or more) languages, how many do YOU speak?" Usually shuts them up.

#202 1 year ago

double post

#203 1 year ago
    Quoted from crwjumper:

Referring to the ball trough as a ball trou. As in “Drop Trou”. Short for trousers. I hate to correct friends and customers so sometimes I’ll just say the correct pronunciation a little later when talking to them. The correct pronunciation is “troff”. Like the container from which animals feed.

I actually heard a professional actor mispronounce the word (horse) trough on a well known vintage western TV show. He pronounced it "trow". Apparently, no one noticed, and it wasn't corrected.

#204 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

This -
    My good friend can barely spell or do basic math yet just retired from Ford where he was an engineer.

That sounds like he was an engineer in title only, and more likely a tech.

To be a professional engineer (I’m speaking from a mechanical perspective) he would need a bachelors degree that included 3 semesters of calculus, 2 semesters of calculus based physics, differential equations, numerical methods, linear algebra, mechanics of materials, statistical analysis of operations, thermodynamics, statics, dynamics, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, finite element analysis, modeling of dynamic systems, and 2 semesters of machine design before picking a specialty. Then they would need to pass both their Engineer in Training (EIT) exam, work in the industry, before then being able to take their Professional Engineering license exam (PE). This is why almost every engineer has a minor in math because you take enough credits in it during the course of study to qualify without taking additional classes.

Now English on the other hand, if it’s not technical writing, engineers don’t get picky with our words

BTW this isn’t a pinball peeve, but a life peeve of mine when people call themselves engineers who aren’t. Ok rant over. Let me put away my soap box…

#205 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

He pronounced it "trow". Apparently, no one noticed, and it wasn't corrected.

Yeah that happened again with Kenada.

#206 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

That sounds like he was an engineer in title only, and more likely a tech.
    To be a professional engineer (I’m speaking from a mechanical perspective) he would need a bachelors degree that included 3 semesters of calculus, 2 semesters of calculus based physics, differential equations, numerical methods, linear algebra, mechanics of materials, statistical analysis of operations, thermodynamics, statics, dynamics, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, finite element analysis, modeling of dynamic systems, and 2 semesters of machine design before picking a specialty. Then they would need to pass both their Engineer in Training (EIT) exam, work in the industry, before then being able to take their Professional Engineering license exam (PE). This is why almost every engineer has a minor in math because you take enough credits in it during the course of study to qualify without taking additional classes.
    Now English on the other hand, if it’s not technical writing, engineers don’t get picky with our words
    BTW this isn’t a pinball peeve, but a life peeve of mine when people call themselves engineers who aren’t. Ok rant over. Let me put away my soap box…

Nonsense. You can become a train engineer without any of that stuff.

#207 1 year ago

Tournament players......please line up your dumb song on your dumb phone BEFORE you step up for your dumb turn. Standing there scrolling through songs is, well....dumb! I hope you run out of gas on your way home, ya dumb dummy!

#208 1 year ago
    Quoted from RedDragons5:

Tournament players......please line up your dumb song on your dumb phone BEFORE you step up for your dumb turn. Standing there scrolling through songs is, well....dumb! I hope you run out of gas on your way home, ya dumb dummy!

Ha yeah...never understood playing to music.

#209 1 year ago
    Quoted from RedDragons5:

I had no clue this was even a thing??? Not into tournaments.

#210 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

I was going to post about the Industrial Exemption for engineering licensing. But I was boring even myself with it.

#211 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Common courtesy like using the fucking search feature.

Agreed - that's annoying.

Use the tool. Don't be a tool.

1 year later
    #212 36 days ago

Arcades that make all the machines require you to have one of those dumb "play cards" kind of annoy me. Why can't we just use quarters?

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pet-peeves-in-pinball/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.