Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 212 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 days ago by snowy_owl
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

773803D6-B164-4B0F-A05E-3DDEDA6CE4A4 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    16743077325034188041920070473932 (resized).jpg
    noone (resized).png
    AA3D6246-8BCD-4503-83AC-FBEE49934CD3 (resized).jpeg
    review-44 (resized).jpg
    1e6 (resized).jpg
    C4DC12A7-48D7-40CA-8853-D70373528EE7 (resized).jpeg
    411E5978-1352-4CBA-952C-52E655C5FDFC (resized).jpeg
    dsb1.gif
    DpQ9YJl.png
    how-did-that-feel-how-do-you-feel (1).gif

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

Pet peeve of mine is when someone goes in a game’s club thread with 200 pages of information and a dozen sticky topics at the top covering common questions and first post is:
    “What are the must have mods?”
    “Can you post pics of your mods?”
    “How do I get the sound mod?”
    It’s like to search function has cooties and they don’t want to get any of it on them. Then for the next week the thread is just page after page of toy figures on playfields.

Preach!

#152 1 year ago

"In before the lock"

" PM sent"

"What's the lowest price you will take"

#153 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ive:

Anything described as like 'butter' and the over use of 'bricked'

"Shoots like butter"
    "...skin in the game..." (especially when used to negate somebody's logical argument: do you even have skin in this game?)
    "I'm just about to pull the trigger on one" (not only a stupid phrase, but pointless information)

#154 1 year ago

Games listed for sale as huo that have the paint worn off around the quarter slots

#155 1 year ago

Pinside users pileing on when a deal does not go smoothly

"I had a deal with user XXXXX that did not go as planned"
    "Yeah, known scum of the earth"
    "you must have done something wrong, guy is a saint"
    "I would have known and not made the same error"

And it will be 4 pages long before the original poster posts again

#156 1 year ago

Stop saying mint, minty, or minty fresh. PLEASE.

#157 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Stop saying mint, minty, or minty fresh. PLEASE.

(Mint)

#158 1 year ago

People's close up ugly fingers pointing to a problem that usually obstructs the problem itself. Just use a pencil as a pointer instead.

#159 1 year ago
    16743077325034188041920070473932 (resized).jpg16743077325034188041920070473932 (resized).jpgpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #160 1 year ago

Is that butter mint?

#161 1 year ago

“Putting my game up for sell”… I’ve seen this So much I had to google if something ‘for sell’ was actually a proper term or not.

“Plays as it should”… As opposed to what, plays as it shouldn’t?!

#162 1 year ago

Goodie bag attached inside cabinet still. Like this bag that has spare parts and worth about $10 in spare plastics or key rings makes the value of their machine worth at least $500 more. WGAF, I’d rather have the manual.

#163 1 year ago

“Thinking about listing my game. Anyone interested hit me up, but I’m not sure.”

Haha

#164 1 year ago
    Quoted from guard:

Is that butter mint?

No clue.

#165 1 year ago

The arms race around mods and people thinking you should pay list for everything they like.

#166 1 year ago

Yea....total "bombo" on my joke attempt.

We had folks not like the terms butter and mint.....thought it was a natural. Oh well, I can still get hired by a sitcom....

#167 1 year ago

Pinsiders that hate mods of any kind. And not just on games for sale.

#168 1 year ago

Sellers not forthcoming with the truth about condition, you turn up to see it or it gets delivered and you just sigh

#169 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lostcause:

Sellers not forthcoming with the truth about condition, you turn up to see it or it gets delivered and you just sigh

And I really don't get that.....I understate my games on purpose. So much nicer, and easier, to sell a game when a buyer shows up and is happy surprised instead of grumbling about a big wear spot not disclosed.

#170 1 year ago
    Quoted from guard:

And I really don't get that.

It’s because they are assholes.

#171 1 year ago

Here I go from my phone and a fat finger....
    To be honest, I'm not particularly worried about 100% correct grammar and spelling etc. If I can get the point of someone's post I'm happy to move on. I make mistakes all too often....I generally try and edit any typo's if possible, but respect we are all from different backgrounds and countries and languages. Gray color is supposed to be grey colour too!

I have alot of things that I loathe in the hobby with the main one being narcissism and greed. Especially from retailers and resellers, suppliers, podcasters, competition people and a few others. It's all tripe in my book and thankfully we have the ignore and drain features on pinside!
    Also resellers posing as independent and non biased reviewers, come on really!? And the brand agenda people, quite a few here.

I hate the term Australian delivered when people sell games here. I've seen so many examples of machines now, and honestly it means nothing. Each machine is different and condition is irrelevant to where it was delivered first.

I hate how some people group us Aussies as all the same, we have some complete deadshits here like everywhere else on the planet, but also some fantastic people. I actually feel embarrassed the way some Aussies carry on in here, so yeah sorry for that! Suggest the ignore feature - works for me!

I really don't like the fact we are metric and pinball is in the main imperial. Have to double up all my tools!

I'm hoping we get more and more manufacturers and home brewers and it seems to be going that way. Great for the hobby. I love tinkering and modifying and seeing ideas come to life, it's so rewarding. I love my custom games and I love the fact I have met some great friends and fellow pinball people over the years and people who have helped me.

Here's to a great 2023.

#172 1 year ago
    Quoted from KJS:

I actually feel embarrassed the way some Aussies carry on in here, so yeah sorry for that! .

Sorry, I will try to do better

#173 1 year ago
    Quoted from KJS:

Here I go from my phone and a fat finger....
    To be honest, I'm not particularly worried about 100% correct grammar and spelling etc. If I can get the point of someone's post I'm happy to move on. I make mistakes all too often....I generally try and edit any typo's if possible, but respect we are all from different backgrounds and countries and languages. Gray color is supposed to be grey colour too!
    I have alot of things that I loathe in the hobby with the main one being narcissism and greed. Especially from retailers and resellers, suppliers, podcasters, competition people and a few others. It's all tripe in my book and thankfully we have the ignore and drain features on pinside!
    Also resellers posing as independent and non biased reviewers, come on really!? And the brand agenda people, quite a few here.
    I hate the term Australian delivered when people sell games here. I've seen so many examples of machines now, and honestly it means nothing. Each machine is different and condition is irrelevant to where it was delivered first.
    I hate how some people group us Aussies as all the same, we have some complete deadshits here like everywhere else on the planet, but also some fantastic people. I actually feel embarrassed the way some Aussies carry on in here, so yeah sorry for that! Suggest the ignore feature - works for me!
    I really don't like the fact we are metric and pinball is in the main imperial. Have to double up all my tools!
    I'm hoping we get more and more manufacturers and home brewers and it seems to be going that way. Great for the hobby. I love tinkering and modifying and seeing ideas come to life, it's so rewarding. I love my custom games and I love the fact I have met some great friends and fellow pinball people over the years and people who have helped me.
    Here's to a great 2023.

Every Australian in the mind of every American:
    773803D6-B164-4B0F-A05E-3DDEDA6CE4A4 (resized).jpeg773803D6-B164-4B0F-A05E-3DDEDA6CE4A4 (resized).jpeg

(only teasing, mate! But sadly it’s kind of true)

#174 1 year ago

The width of my side door that requires me to remove (or sharkfin) the head.. PITA

Also, hate that people associate spelling with intelligence. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, and some words just don’t make sense in my head.

#175 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Every Australian in the mind of every American:
    [quoted image]
    (only teasing, mate! But sadly it’s kind of true)

Better than the croc hunter at least lol! If people only knew how and where he started they'd be horrified.

Another peeve....doing restos and the nylock nuts with different head sizes on the 8-32 posts etc mainly...always pickup the wrong driver!

#176 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Every Australian in the mind of every American...

We USED to think they were all that cool

#177 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hench4Life:

Also, hate that people associate spelling with intelligence. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, and some words just don’t make sense in my head.

Yeah, I here what your saying. And it makes cents to me.

#178 1 year ago

And.... I'm done.... really!
    This is why one major contributor here in the past has quit posting.
    He was an EM problem solving stud!

#179 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:And.... I'm done.... really!
    This is why one major contributor here in the past has quit posting.
    He was an EM problem solving stud!

You are leaving because you aren’t receiving enough up votes? Or are you speaking about another member here?

Seems odd either way.

#180 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

You are leaving because you aren’t receiving enough up votes? Or are you speaking about another member here?
    Seems odd either way.

I'm not leaving, but a major contributor here from years ago left because he was tired of helping people solving problems with their games and not getting any thanks or recognition from the person he helped. I know how he feels.

#181 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

. I know how he feels

Thank you ... and thanks to all that help keep our games going !

#182 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

he was tired of helping people solving problems with their games and not getting any thanks or recognition from the person he helped.

A friend asked me about this once. He'd helped a couple people and didn't hear back. He asked me if it didn't bother me when they disappear ?

I told him no. When I don't hear back, their game is going and they are happy. We're done. I don't need my emails, phone calls, etc. etc. doubled. I have enough going on, I don't need more.

Just trying to make my little corner of pinball a little bit better is my reward.

LTG : )

#183 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

A friend asked me about this once. He'd helped a couple people and didn't hear back. He asked me if it didn't bother me when they disappear ?
    I told him no. When I don't hear back, their game is going and they are happy. We're done. I don't need my emails, phone calls, etc. etc. doubled. I have enough going on, I don't need more.
    Just trying to make my little corner of pinball a little bit better is my reward.
    LTG : )

It's just common courtesy. It doesn't take much effort to say, hey...thanks for your help. Or, just pop an upvote.

#184 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

It's just common courtesy. It doesn't take much effort to say, hey...thanks for your help. Or, just pop an upvote.

True, sometimes the upvote would be nice recognition for solving a problem. Then again problem solving is 90% of the fun. There are days where it is tough to tell if I like working on pins as much or more than I like playing them.

#185 1 year ago

Probably my biggest pet peeve is the multiple threads and the mother of them all the 7yr old thread with 41 pages containing over 2k posts discussing how to wax and clean a pinball machine. It's not rocket science. Nobody cares if you use Blitz or whatever wax you feels best. A thread nearly a decade old with idiots still posting in it.

#186 1 year ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Probably my biggest pet peeve is the multiple threads and the mother of them all the 7yr old thread with 41 pages containing over 2k posts discussing how to wax and clean a pinball machine. It's not rocket science.

You say that until you get a guy in a club thread who tells you how he uses Orange Glow on his playfield (true story)

#187 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Absolutely a jerk move not to thank someone after they helped you out, or tried to help you out, even if they weren't right in their suggestion. They still took their time and tried. It's just common courtesy to say, TY.

#188 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

You say that until you get a guy in a club thread who tells you how he uses Orange Glow on his playfield (true story)

Oh I have friends who use cleaner wax on their games. I specifically told them what to use and instead they got cleaner wax and are like "I got it accidentally so might as well use it". Later on they resorted to just using the wax solely to clean and "protect".

#189 1 year ago

I can't stand seeing players kick, slap, or punch the machine because they had a bad ball. Just childish, and a disgusting display of lack of self control.

#190 1 year ago

Sad thing ... basic manners just not there anymore...

#191 1 year ago

sellers who say the new part/side art or whatever comes with the machine My Distro says its coming in a couple weeks.Then nothing ever happens.Just assume what you see is what you get.

#192 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I'm not leaving, but a major contributor here from years ago left because he was tired of helping people solving problems with their games and not getting any thanks or recognition from the person he helped. I know how he feels.

I understand your point and to me at least, if someone helps fix my game it's just common courtesy to thank them. This also helps others that may have the same issue to know that the solution is documented somewhere.

I'm honestly not a fan at all of the upvote/downvote system Pinside uses. Simple messaging and being able to quote go a long way.

Please stay around, good tech advice is priceless!

#193 1 year ago

In a similar vein. I hate help threads where the solution was probably found but never posted.

#194 1 year ago

Common courtesy like using the fucking search feature.

#195 1 year ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Oh I have friends who use cleaner wax on their games. I specifically told them what to use and instead they got cleaner wax and are like "I got it accidentally so might as well use it". Later on they resorted to just using the wax solely to clean and "protect".

I don’t cringe as hard at cleaner wax as I do at hearing someone spraying a product that is a combo of mineral oil and orange oil on their playfield

#196 1 year ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

In a similar vein. I hate help threads where the solution was probably found but never posted.

Same. If someone helped solve the problem or even put you on the right track, it would be nice to take 2 seconds to confirm the exact problem and solution.

#197 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

“Thinking about listing my game. Anyone interested hit me up, but I’m not sure.”
    Haha

I was ready to buy it but my wife said no...... If you need permission from the wife you’ve really got some other issues going on!

#198 1 year ago
    Quoted from jokerpoker:

I was ready to buy it but my wife said no...... If you need permission from the wife you’ve really got some other issues going on!

Other issues… like respect for your wife and treating her like a partner in life rather than a child?

Men usually say “permission” to save face in front of other men and avoid responsibility for their own selfishness when really it usually a disagreement on how to spend a large sum of money. In most marriages it’s common that both people be on board if someone is going to spend multiple thousands on something. I understand in some, the man is a manly man and the woman has no power and must acquiesce to whatever the man wants. Not the kind of relationship I would want, however. Dogs are good for that.

#199 1 year ago

Referring to the ball trough as a ball trou. As in “Drop Trou”. Short for trousers. I hate to correct friends and customers so sometimes I’ll just say the correct pronunciation a little later when talking to them. The correct pronunciation is “troff”. Like the container from which animals feed.

#200 1 year ago

When someone posts an issue they have, and then after a day or two goes by without any responses, they make a follow up post saying they fixed the problem without explaining how they fixed it.

Please tell us how you fixed it!

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pet-peeves-in-pinball/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.