Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 212 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 days ago by snowy_owl
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

773803D6-B164-4B0F-A05E-3DDEDA6CE4A4 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    16743077325034188041920070473932 (resized).jpg
    noone (resized).png
    AA3D6246-8BCD-4503-83AC-FBEE49934CD3 (resized).jpeg
    review-44 (resized).jpg
    1e6 (resized).jpg
    C4DC12A7-48D7-40CA-8853-D70373528EE7 (resized).jpeg
    411E5978-1352-4CBA-952C-52E655C5FDFC (resized).jpeg
    dsb1.gif
    DpQ9YJl.png
    how-did-that-feel-how-do-you-feel (1).gif

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 1 year ago

We've developed our own language in this hobby, for sure. We've normalized cringeworthy grammar (e.g. "could of" replacing the correct "could have" and the omnipresent "your" when "you're" is meant).

But, the error that is most notable to me is the misuse of the apostrophe in "its." Of course, "it's " means "it is" and the apostrophe does NOT make the word possessive.

My pinball language pet peeve is the term "repo" which is an abbreviation of "repossession." Pinsiders often use "repo" when they actually mean "repro." It's soooo easy------repro is short for reproduction!

We care about the most minor details of our games. Yet, many of us don't care one wit about how they communicate.

Rant over. Share your pinball pet peeves here.

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

We've developed our own language in this hobby, for sure. We've normalized cringeworthy grammar (e.g. "could of" replacing the correct "could have" and the omnipresent "your" when "you're" is meant).
    But, the error that is most notable to me is the misuse of the apostrophe in "its." Of course, "it's " means "it is" and the apostrophe does NOT make the word possessive.
    My pinball language pet peeve is the term "repo" which is an abbreviation of "repossession." Pinsiders often use "repo" when they actually mean "repro." It's soooo easy------repro is short for reproduction!
    We care about the most minor details of our games. Yet, many of us don't care one wit about how they communicate.

"Lighted" instead of lit

#3 1 year ago

Grammor Nazi's

#4 1 year ago

For me it's the run on one long sentence with no periods or capital letters when starting a new sentence thing. And with the people texting on there phones and leaving out letters from words or abbreviating when it's really not saving them any time...ugh. It's like trying to read hieroglyphics.
    I'm no grammar major by any means but I try my best at least, spell check is your friend if you let it be.

John

#5 1 year ago

"needs shopped"

That one is nails on chalkboard to me.

To me, it sounds more grammatically correct to use "needs to be shopped" or "needs shopping" instead

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

...Pinball?
    Have you never been on any form of social media? All of those examples run rampant on Facebook, Twitter, and instagram.

#7 1 year ago

I'm not really a fan of people referring to pinball machines as "tables"

#8 1 year ago

Picture collectors. The people that have no interest in actually buying the game and pretty much tell you this but they still need additional pictures that what you've posted just in case they can get there wives convinced that Gorgar is a family friendly game.
    O'yeah and games with the wrong type of legs and especially the leg bolts, and yes I'm anal.

John

#9 1 year ago

Working on your game room and getting a bunch of project video games out of storage and logging into a “vidya” game site to seek expertise only to find a bunch of you people on that site as well. Can’t a guy ever escape from Pinside?

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

I'm not really a fan of people referring to pinball machines as "tables"

Came here to say this.

#11 1 year ago

Using the term 'remake' when it's actually a reproduction. A remake is a game rebuilt from the ground up with improved code, new audio design, new features, improved lighting, added display... etc. A reproduction is the same game.

BOP 2.0 is a remake. MMr is a repro.

#12 1 year ago

The CGC stuff blurs that line. The hardware is rebuilt from the ground up, it's a completely new computing and electromechanical platform.

Quoted from Dayhuff:

And with the people texting on there phones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphry%27s_law

#13 1 year ago

Undocumented HUO

And how 90% of the games listed as such are not.

#14 1 year ago

"Upgraded with LEDs"
    Modified with LEDS! lol! Some of us like incandescent

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Grammor Nazi's

Correct spelling is "grammar." The apostrophe is wrong. I conclude that your post is sarcastic. I agree that many of us, myself included, are heavy-handed with grammar.

Nevertheless, don't we care at all about how we present ourselves in public? We brush our teeth. We comb our hair. We wear clean clothes. We don't whisper when we speak because we want our audience to hear and understand us, right? Good grammar means improved communication. What's wrong with that?

We live in the age of information. How we communicate is more important now than ever before in the history of civilization.

Grammar Nazis do not expect everyone to write like Hemingway. Instead, we merely wish that Americans would respect the English language and make a minimal effort. Americans are woefully lagging behind citizens of other developed countries in education. Indeed, most foreigners are much more conversant in American history than Americans, in my experience.

Americans are losing their competitive edge in both the sciences and humanities fields of study. Better grammar and spelling translates into better economic opportunity and to a more cohesive society in general.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Correct spelling is "grammar."

But the "Nazi's" was OK?

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Correct spelling is "grammar." I agree that many of us, myself included, are heavy-handed with grammar.

The thing about grammar nazis is they also frequently have no sense of humor...

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Us grammar Nazis do not expect everyone to write like Hemingway. Instead, we merely wish that Americans would respect the English language and make a minimal effort.

Us?

At least you got it right in the 2nd sentence haha

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

The thing about grammar nazis is they also frequently have no sense of humor...

They are historically dreadfull.

Quoted from metallik:

Us?

And frequently have grammar & spelling issues.

More than anything, they're just so fucking boring.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

For me it's the run on one long sentence with no periods or capital letters when starting a new sentence thing. And with the people texting on there phones and leaving out letters from words or abbreviating when it's really not saving them any time...ugh. It's like trying to read hieroglyphics.
    I'm no grammar major by any means but I try my best at least, spell check is your friend if you let it be.
    John

“there” and “their” is definitely my bugbear!

#21 1 year ago

Always love when the grammar nazis F up their own grammar

Looks like znet already fixed it. Znet, please donate $2 to pinside for the lesson kthxbye.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Us?

You guys are quick. . .got me before my edits. Good job!

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

You guys are quick. . .got me before my edits. Good job!

how-did-that-feel-how-do-you-feel (1).gifhow-did-that-feel-how-do-you-feel (1).gif
    #24 1 year ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Always love when the grammar nazis F up their own grammar

There's a significant difference between the use of a colloquialism (which I was editing out as the incoming criticism was simultaneously arriving) and failing to distinguish the difference between, for example, "your" and "you're."

The nuanced errors, such as the misuse of quotes and period placement don't bother me. My pet peeve is that Americans have defaulted to the lowest common denominator of grammar.

As for a sense of humor, I opt for the adage: those who know don't tell; those who tell, don't know. ;>

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

As for a sense of humor, I opt for the adage: those who know don't tell; those who tell, don't know. ;>

I bet that kills @Danqverymuch's parties.

#26 1 year ago

Complaints about the top 100

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Complaints about the top 100

More than the subsequent wacky ways to fix it?

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

There's a significant difference between the use of a collequelism (which I was editing out as the incoming criticism was simultaneously arriving) and failing to distinguish the difference between, for example, "your" and "you're."
    The nuanced errors, such as the misuse of quotes and period placement don't bother me. My pet peeve is that Americans have defaulted to the lowest common denominator of grammar.

DpQ9YJl.pngDpQ9YJl.png
    #31 1 year ago

"We need to bring pinball to the masses."

Shut the fuck up.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

They are historically dreadfull.

And frequently have grammar & spelling issues.
    More than anything, they're just so fucking boring.

You're just trolling, right? The correct spelling is "dreadful."

Are grammar conscious folks boring? Well, you're entertained enough to participate in this thread.

As for the sense of humor stereotype, most professional comedians enjoy a very high language proficiency quotient. Your anecdotal experience may differ. But, good jokes require precise word selection, timing and delivery. Spelling and punctuation might be less important. However, I suspect that professional comedians possess above-average language skills.

#33 1 year ago

Most all homemade toppers and action figures under glass look ridiculous.

#34 1 year ago

pinball 'table'

and when someone who's not into pinball sees your games and point and says 'oh i remember that one'. No you do not. You remember pinball - sure - that game you just pointed to ? Full of shit.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Agree 100%. However, rather than work to improve themselves, the individuals deflect or misdirect. Most reason why I eschew contributing to posts.

Your neighbor from up the road

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

You're just trolling, right? The correct spelling is "dreadful."
    Are grammar conscious folks boring? Well, you're entertained enough to participate in this thread.
    As for the sense of humor stereotype, most professional comedians enjoy a very high language proficiency quotient. Your anecdotal experience may differ. But, good jokes require precise word selection, timing and delivery. Spelling and punctuation might be less important. However, I suspect that professional comedians possess above-average language skills.

dsb1.gifdsb1.gif
    #37 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

But the "Nazi's" was OK?

As mentioned, you guys are quick. . .posted as I was still editing. Glad that you're having some fun here in this thread.

There's only so much I can read about the Greatwich expired food and the release date of the Bond games.

I was waiting for my car to be serviced at a car dealer. I decided to create this topic, after seeing yet another Pinside Marketplace ad describing a reproduction as a "repo."

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

"We need to bring pinball to the masses."
    Shut the fuck up.

Technically, aren't there at least two pinchurches now?

@pinballstar
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballstar-bought-a-church-selling-pews-and-other-items

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Well, you're entertained enough to participate in this thread.

Man if only threads I've participated in entertained me. Dare to dream!

#40 1 year ago

Grammar Nazis and EV owners. Both well intentioned but often come off as we're better than you because...

For the record I have caught myself misusing your and you're many times. Even though I know better. Raise your hand if you try to go back and edit before DanQ sees it.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Grammar Nazis and EV owners. Both well intentioned but often come off as we're better than you because...

I get it. It's the adverse reaction to the proverbial know-it-all. My wife regularly assures me that I'm not right about a host of topics so I can't possibly fall into the know-it-all category.

The irony is that my motto has always been that what makes someone smart is that they know what they don't know. They aren't afraid to admit that they could actually learn something from someone else.

We have become a nation of Dunning-Kruger nonsense experts who refuse to learn from actual experts.

#42 1 year ago

What’s your favorite game?

#43 1 year ago

Manufacturer apologists. This is getting like the Sega vs Nintendo days and it's annoying AF

#44 1 year ago

1. Lose = you lost something. "We did not think we'd lose the game."

2. Loose = something that is not tight. "My shoe is loose....Foot loose."

Learn it.

Know it.

Live it.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

"needs shopped"
    That one is nails on chalkboard to me.
    To me, it sounds more grammatically correct to use "needs to be shopped" or "needs shopping" instead

Unless you have an actual *shop* to bring your pin to, that entire term is idiotic. It was likely picked up from some homeowner in years past (when buying from an operator) and he passed it along to the next buyer, trying to sound "in the know"....I simply cannot stand those types of dorks.

#46 1 year ago

I've got one.

When a person is working on their pin and they do something they shouldn't have been doing, and cause damage.

And they start posting for help. On multiple forums. Pinsode, Facebook, RGP, KLOV, etc. etc. And each time changing their story from I was working on it and this happened. To I turned my game on and now it's doing this.

Please post the whole story. And don't shorten or change it.

Otherwise you'll get a lot of help that won't help and keep you chasing in circles.

We all make mistakes or have accidents. Get through it, without making it worse. Or wasting time of the people trying to help. Because next time they may not be so willing to help.

LTG : )

#48 1 year ago

Seriously, my biggest personal pet peeve is my Big Hurt shooter rod seems to be slightly bent. Once it a while, pulling back and launching a ball results in it smacking the glass. I hate that. So every plunge, there's a corner of my mind anticipating a glass smack and I do not enjoy that feeling.

<insert a joke about Nugenix (Frank Thomas is their spokesman) and how that should fix the bent rod>

#50 1 year ago

Weak flippers on location that make ramp shots impossible.

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pet-peeves-in-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.