Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by thedefog
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago

When you buy a machine that you really want, don't ever expect it to be as easy to sell when you no longer want it.

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I'm getting a little sick and tired about taking the time to answer PMs and emails regarding pins, specifically asking for pictures. I take the time to take them, send them, etc., and some people never respond.
    Common courtesy would tell one to at least respond with a "ok, thanks.. i'll check them out" or a "not interested, but thanks"
    At least let me know you received the pics.
    Vent over.

That doesn't really bother me - I consider it part of the selling game. What "really grinds my gears" though is when you go out of your way to help someone solve a problem with their game or search for a hard to find part from your stash and they never bother to reply back to you one way or another.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

I've been criticized for saying this in the past but I stand behind it I think offering someone 90% value is okay, it doesn't make you a lowballer. If they say OBO to me that means they are willing to deal and I might send an 85% offer.
    Of course, if the price is really fair or downright cheap, I'm not one of those. The last game I bought I payed full price no negotiation.

I've offered less than 50% of asking and bought for less than 50% of asking. Many times asking prices are way out of line since non pin-people have no clue about the value.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

I've been criticized for saying this in the past but I stand behind it I think offering someone 90% value is okay, it doesn't make you a lowballer. If they say OBO to me that means they are willing to deal and I might send an 85% offer.
    Of course, if the price is really fair or downright cheap, I'm not one of those. The last game I bought I payed full price no negotiation.

This seems reasonable to me. If someone writes "price is firm" in their listing I think that should be respected. But if it's "OBO" (or they don't write "firm" or something along those lines) then some negotiation on price is to be expected. The seller can always say no! And of course as a buyer you risk loosing a well-priced item to someone offering full price. But anyone who has ever sold something before shouldn't be shocked if the buyer tries to negotiate a bit.

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

True, but not entirely. For example, I use an online bank. I am limited to daily withdrawals of $500, or I can call to have it increased to $1,000 for three business days. It would be a huge hassle for me to buy a TRON LE with cash.

I can't believe how far behind in banking you guys in the States are. It's like the 70s or 80s over there.

Over here, almost everything is done on line. I haven't been in a bank branch for probably 5 years.

If I want some cash, ATMs dispense up to $2000 cash per transaction.

If I sell a pin on Trade Me (the NZ eBay) I email the buyer my bank account number, and they pay the money into my bank account. Half the banks trade simultaneously. They make the payment, it's in my account instantly. Worse case scenario, it is in my account at midnight when the banks settle between themselves.

I bought two pins off a guy a few weeks ago. I went and looked at them, we did the deal. We went I to his house, he have me his bank account number, I used my iPhone and made the payment right in front of him. $3500 into his account just like that.

Back in the 80s and 90s, I used to bank 30-40 personal cheques a day in my business. I haven't seen a cheque for years. Oh, I did get one back from the tax man one time. Otherwise, cheques are basically redundant now.

All good

rd

#56 10 years ago

The East Coast especially. The West Coast is better. But yeah I laugh at the crap I dealt with a guy trying to move funds and clear a check while another guy bought some amps from me and had 10k wired in to my account within hours on a Saturday from his phone.

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I can't believe how far behind in banking you guys in the States are. It's like the 70s or 80s over there.
    Over here, almost everything is done on line. I haven't been in a bank branch for probably 5 years.
    If I sell a pin on Trade Me (the NZ eBay) I email the buyer my bank account number, and they pay the money into my bank account. Half the banks trade simultaneously. They make the payment, it's in my account instantly. Worse case scenario, it is in my account at midnight when the banks settle between themselves.
    I bought two pins off a guy a few weeks ago. I went and looked at them, we did the deal. We went I to his house, he have me his bank account number, I used my iPhone and made the payment right in front of him. $3500 into his account just like that.
    Back in the 80s and 90s, I used to bank 30-40 personal cheques a day in my business. I haven't seen a cheque for years. Oh, I did get one back from the tax man one time. Otherwise, cheques are basically redundant now.
    All good
    rd

Well, here in the states, my friends call me Cash. Cash is King. Cash clears immediately. Cash goes right into your pocket, and the old lady don't need to know nothing about it.

Our government can be awful nosy when it wants to be.

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

he gave me his bank account number

I can tell you right now that's never going to happen.

I use online banking.....I also have B&M accounts. Easy enough to move funds back and forth.

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I can tell you right now that's never going to happen.
    I use online banking.....I also have B&M accounts. Easy enough to move funds back and forth.

In other banking systems... the bank account number is not some secret like they try to keep it here. It's shared freely as an address where to send money.

#60 10 years ago

It's not a matter of ahead or behind, but security. Since your debit card is linked to your checking account, there is a limit so if it's stolen you don't loose everything with no recourse.

Quoted from rotordave:

#61 10 years ago

The cards in Europe also feature chips which are much more secure

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

In other banking systems... the bank account number is not some secret like they try to keep it here. It's shared freely as an address where to send money.

Isn't the account number printed on all of your checks though anyway? I know people get uptight about it but it's not exactly secret info.

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

It's not a matter of ahead or behind, but security. Since your debit card is linked to your checking account, there is a limit so if it's stolen you don't loose everything with no recourse.

No.. we are woefully behind

From how money is exchanged via EFT like transactions... to how POS purchases are secured. We are like 10 years behind.

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Isn't the account number printed on all of your checks though anyway? I know people get uptight about it but it's not exactly secret info.

Its dumb.. basically the way the accounts are secured is different.

Remember, in other countries they aren't as paranoid about having a national ID number per user, etc

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Exactly. Say I gave my bank account number to someone. What are they going to do with it?

Go into my bank and withdraw all my money leaving me penniless?

Firstly, they will need to know what my signature looks like.

If I had given them a cheque, they would have my account AND my signature.

Then, after they miraculously forged my signature, they would have to crack my 4 digit pin number as well.

All the while, being recorded on Hi-Def security cameras at my bank branch.

Yep, sounds like I should lie awake at night worrying about that happening.

rd

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Sounds like I should lie awake at night worrying about that happening.

Better to worry that it might happen than worry about it after it has already happened.

#67 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Exactly. Say I gave my bank account number to someone. What are they going to do with it?
    Go into my bank and withdraw all my money leaving me penniless?
    Firstly, they will need to know what my signature looks like.
    If I had given them a cheque, they would have my account AND my signature.
    Then, after they miraculously forged my signature, they would have to crack my 4 digit pin number as well.
    All the while, being recorded on Hi-Def security cameras at my bank branch.
    Yep, sounds like I should lie awake at night worrying about that happening.
    rd

I think you just wrote the script for Oceans 14.

#68 10 years ago

I Have Tried Getting $15,000 In Cash From My Bank. They Told Me It Would Take 2 To 3 Weeks To Get It But I Could Write Checks And It Would Be Fine. So Each Branch Is Different. I Would Give The seller A Deposit And Ask For A Receipt Asking Them To Hold It, If Not I Would Move On To Another Machine

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

and the old lady don't need to know nothing about it.

Dude, you've opened my eyes.. I now understand. Thank you.

#70 10 years ago
    Quoted from JAG63:

I Have Tried Getting $15,000 In Cash From My Bank.

They will have no problem accepting that much though. Except then you get reported as possibly a crook or drug dealer. Best to take care of your own money.

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Entering secret pin code: 1....2....3....4.....PROFIT..

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinnaf:

I make mental note as well as edit my iphone phone/recent/contact list ---- "create contact" ......[lowballer pinballer] THIS preps me for the next time "he" calls to get ready for the non-sense.

Outstanding

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from JAG63:

I Have Tried Getting $15,000 In Cash From My Bank. They Told Me It Would Take 2 To 3 Weeks To Get It But I Could Write Checks And It Would Be Fine. So Each Branch Is Different. I Would Give The seller A Deposit And Ask For A Receipt Asking Them To Hold It, If Not I Would Move On To Another Machine

Are you a real estate agent?

Why Is The First Letter Of Every Word In A Real Estate Ad Always Capitalized?

I feel this is one of the great unexplained mysteries in life. That - and why I can't nudge to save my life.

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

They will have no problem accepting that much though. Except then you get reported as possibly a crook or drug dealer. Best to take care of your own money.

If you deposit more than $10,000 in cash at a US bank you will run into IRS paperwork issues at the very least.

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from scylla:

Are you a real estate agent?
    Why Is The First Letter Of Every Word In A Real Estate Ad Always Capitalized?
    I feel this is one of the great unexplained mysteries in life. That - and why I can't nudge to save my life.

No I'm Just A proud Owner Of A Smart Phone

#76 10 years ago

Ok, what are things that should be in every for sale ad?

Full description noting all dings, scratches and defects.
    Location of the machine and acceptable payment & shipping terms.
    Photos of:
    Cabinet, back box and legs.
    Playfield with emphasis on wear areas.. (Shooter lane, kick outs, etc.)
    Mechanicals beneath the playfield
    Boards with special emphasis on caps and battery pack
    Maybe a video of game play if you're feeling ambitious.

Is there anything else I'm missing? Reason I ask is I'm about to sell some pins and don't want you guys calling me out for anything.

#77 10 years ago

I don't think there is anything wrong with posting a for sale ad, for local sale that says if you are interested/serious get up off your ass and come look at it, pics don't show the issues anyway. Obviously distance type sales probably require alot more for pics.

1 year later
    #78 9 years ago

A pet peeve of mine has been when people put the dollar sign in the wrong place. I don't know if in other countries its in a different place, but for those that don't know, it goes before the numerals. The cent symbol goes after the numeral.
    Couple examples of it in the correct place:

$5000
    $5
    $5k

.39¢
    $6.39

#79 9 years ago

I totally guilty of this. I generally place the numbers, THEN the dollar sign for some odd reason.

Ex. 500$

#80 9 years ago

90% of people flake out on deals, string you along then last minute bail out with lame excuses (My wife said no go) or ignore your messages. The more time that goes by between first contact and back and forth, the less likely the deal is to happen. I just expect that. That happens with every higher priced private sale, not just pins. The goal is urgency.

#81 9 years ago

Very true. If it doesn't happen fast, it doesn't usually happen (but not always).
    I have two pins for sale right now and I have two different people who are supposed to come and get them next week. Do I expect them to show up absolutely? No. That is why I line up as many offers as possible and let people know if the deal falls through, they get a shot but I'm not one to put up with indecision. If you want it, you will act quickly. The serious buyers don't mess around.

#82 9 years ago

Cheap ass lowballers that offer to buy your restored game for less than you paid for the non working base game.
    I offered my rotisserie to a local guy for free and he just laughed, like me he has no use for it and will never restore another pinball.

#83 9 years ago

I would be interested in said rotisserie

Chris

#84 9 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I would be interested in said rotisserie
    Chris

Sorry but it already went in the recycle barrel.

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Sorry but it already went in the recycle barrel.

#86 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

My wife said no go

man a nickel for every time I've heard that... sigh

#87 9 years ago

My negotiations with the buyer usually go something like this, via email or text (they almost never call, even when I supply a phone#):
    1. buyer: Usually asks for more pics
    2. me: send pics
    3. buyer: What is your bottom dollar?
    4. me: I already listed my asking price. It's your turn to make a concession (offer).
    5. buyer: I can offer $$ low ball.
    6. me: If you can come up to $$$ reasonable price, we have a deal
    7. buyer: Sounds good, send me your address. I can come see the game this weekend.
    Weekend comes: (Buyer may or may not show)
    Buyer arrives - 2nd negotiation starts
    buyer looks over the game and starts to point out flaws already disclosed or pictured (nicknamed "throwing garbage on the lawn").
    1. Buyer: Well, with all these things wrong, I can only offer you this $$ even lower ball offer.
    2. me: I'm not lowering my price any further than we already agreed!
    3. Buyer: Well, what if you took off $ this much?
    4. me: (I then evaluate how far the person traveled and how much I want to sell the game. If they traveled from a great distance; they are not leaving without a game!) Well... Maybe I can take off a little on price. Or, have a fun trip back to BFE without a game!
    5. Buyer: Sold!

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

your bank account number is printed right at the bottom of every check you write. it's pretty silly that people act like it's a big secret over here.

#89 9 years ago

My biggest pet peeve is that when I put a game up for sale, it doesn't instantly sell at my asking price.

#90 9 years ago

My credit union is great...until I need a LOT out at one time in cash. I plan ahead and take out 1K each trip. Fortunately, my friends are cool with the layaway plan.

#91 9 years ago

My biggest Pet Peeve is not having the room & $$$ to keep the pin in the first place. That, and broken promises 99.9% of the time.

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pet-peeve-regarding-selling-pins/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.