(Topic ID: 39230)

Perspex (Lexan) full playfield cover - who's tried one?

By swampfire

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by roc-noc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0579.JPG
    DSC_0549.JPG
    39.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I'm intrigued by this item I found today:

http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/12717

This seems like the ultimate in protection. For those that have tried them, does it get cloudy after a while, like the acrylic window in Congo? Do you wax it like a normal playfield, or just clean it once in a while? What do you use, Novus or Plexus?

I'd also love to find an uncut sheet of this stuff that I could cut with a Dremel. I'd like to try this on the CSI that I just swapped.

Thanks!
    John

#2 11 years ago

Check out Hyperball.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Peyper used it on some pins like Wolfman.

The one I had looked like a satin finish from the ball scratches.

#4 11 years ago

No matter what fancy name they attach to it, it's still polycarbonate. Polycarbonate scratches eventually and can't be repaired with Novus. See any routed WPT upper playfield for proof.

#5 11 years ago

Some newer pins are being built this way too, like New Canasta. I wonder if advances in plastics science makes it a better solution now than it was 20-30 years ago. This "Makrolon" sure sounds hi-tech.

#6 11 years ago

A friend is currently working on a Rapid Fire that has a plastic overlay
    Not sure if it was due to heat, time or constantly being hit withe the fired balls, the plastic overlay had become buckled

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

A friend is currently working on a Rapid Fire that has a plastic overlay
    Not sure if it was due to heat, time or constantly being hit withe the fired balls, the plastic overlay had become buckled

Hyperball with all the black on the playfield will do that to if you leave it in sunlight.

#8 11 years ago

Perspex is acrylic. Lexan is polycarbonate (makrolon etc). You can get coated polycarbonate that has a tough coat but it's real expensive.

#9 11 years ago

Ah, right. And if I recall correctly, acrylic holds up better to surface wear, while polycarbonate is better for surviving end-on hits. Seems like acrylic would be better for this application.

#10 11 years ago

We have a Hyperball. We clean it with just Novus-2. Unfortunately it becomes a dust magnet afterwards and I find myself wiping it down with a lightly damp cloth. Someone put a mylar circle right where the balls hit out of the shooter which really kept the rest of the PF extremely nice.

#11 11 years ago

Does dragon (interflip) have plastic over it or one of those games I think I remember playing at papa and saying wow that playfield has no wear - then looking to see a plastic covering...

#12 11 years ago

There is a guy that has a full plastic overlay on his Black Hole

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from epotech:

Perspex is acrylic. Lexan is polycarbonate (makrolon etc). You can get coated polycarbonate that has a tough coat but it's real expensive.

Sure, they all have their own 'flavors' of polycarbonate, but I doubt any of them will hold up over time against a steel ball.

Quoted from swampfire:

Ah, right. And if I recall correctly, acrylic holds up better to surface wear...

Acrylic is way more brittle than polycarbonate. Far more likely to chip, crack or break. Try hitting a sheet of either with a hammer and see what happens.

Quoted from fusion301:

Does dragon (interflip) have plastic over it or one of those games I think I remember playing at papa and saying wow that playfield has no wear - then looking to see a plastic covering...

Those games only get played a few days a year. Might be fine in home use, but would never work long term on location.

#14 11 years ago

Here is how the layer is installed on the NEW CANASTA pinball machines over the playfields.

39.jpg39.jpg

#15 11 years ago

I have those covers installed on my FT and TAF. Both are player machines and not perfectly restored, so playing without a protection would likely destroy more of the inserts or the playfield in the long run. The installation was very easy, just stripped about 75 % of the playfield, cleaned everything, put on the cover and installed the playfield parts again - took a couple of hours.
    The look is great and very shiny, it plays smoothly and the playfield is fully protected. I have more airballs than without the cover, but nothing to worry. I can't say much about the durability or scratches over time, because I have them only for a couple of weeks. The FT is played heavily in our local pinball league, no scratches or wearoff to date.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase and would recommend the protectors. The product is of course not inexpensive, but worth the price IMHO. I personally know about 5 other people using the protectors, all of them satisfied.

You can follow this thread (in German) for more pictures:
    http://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/showthread.php?t=116404&highlight=Protector

#16 11 years ago

Turns out Perspex (horrible name for a product) isn't polycarbonate. The link in the first post says the protector is made of Markrolon, which is a brand of polycarbonate. Like Lexan.

Perspex is Polymethyl methacrylate, better known by the brand name Lucite. Very different stuff than polycarbonate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly%28methyl_methacrylate%29

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

There is a guy that has a full plastic overlay on his Black Hole

friggin coolest black hole ever!
    The perfect game for this concept.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

friggin coolest black hole ever!
    The perfect game for this concept.

I disagree. I think it's goddamn ugly as sin. Also, "inviserts"???? WTF.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballShawn:

We have a Hyperball. We clean it with just Novus-2. Unfortunately it becomes a dust magnet afterwards and I find myself wiping it down with a lightly damp cloth. Someone put a mylar circle right where the balls hit out of the shooter which really kept the rest of the PF extremely nice.

Wipe it down with a dyer sheet after you clean it. Don't laugh.

#20 11 years ago

I have a game with a (factory) plexi playfield, there is the occasional bit of random spin on the ball but in the main, it plays pretty similar to a normal game.

#21 11 years ago

How about Gorilla Glass? Is it made this large?

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

How about Gorilla Glass? Is it made this large?

You could water-jet cut a sheet of glass and then have it tempered.

#23 11 years ago

Interesting. I'm looking at this and I looked at the install .pdf and I can't tell if this is glued like mylar or just free floating?

Once my Elvira is done, my next chore was my F-14. It is mylar over lifted inserts but the playfield itself is in very very good shape except for the left outlane which needs minor repair.

This could be an alternative to doing a full teardown and clearcoat. Just hate to have mylar V2.

And yeah that Black Hole is bad ass. Not exactly a collectable, but he made that snoozer a lot faster and showed a lot of concept. I really like how the lower PF is invizible when not in use. On my Haunted House I've always hated that you could see down there with all the light bleed through from the main PF.

#24 11 years ago

Many Spanish manufacturers used Perspex playfields....Inder, Spinball, and SLEIC to name a few. They hold up extremely well, and are super easy to clean. I have 5 games with them, and after many, many thousands of plays they're still super clear and beautiful.

#25 11 years ago

I have a Spanish version of a Royal Flush made by Maresa that also has some kind of a poly-carbonate/acrylic PF cover. It has also held out surprisingly well, I would have expected ball tracks and swirl marks after all these years, but there aren't any. Even in high wear areas like around the pop bumper the marks are almost invisible. Also on the Maresa games the PF art was printed on the bottom of the poly-carbonate sheet, not the plywood.

A shameless plug here, this game in listed on eBay (http://tinyurl.com/bzqqba5)

DSC_0549.JPGDSC_0549.JPG DSC_0579.JPGDSC_0579.JPG

#26 11 years ago

Hyperball and rapid fir both have a slightly convex surface to keep balls from gathering in the center. It's not the plastic buckling.

#27 11 years ago

i believe elektra also came stock with this...

#28 11 years ago

Back on topic

So has anyone had any experience with this stuff in particular?

It almost looks like a mylar that you do not glue down. More like a playfield condom.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

I disagree. I think it's goddamn ugly as sin. Also, "inviserts"???? WTF.

Yeah, "inviserts." That portmanteau is more of a portmanNO.

#30 11 years ago

Golden opportunity for the Cliffmeister:

Full PF Cliffys.

(Wink, wink.)

#31 11 years ago

If my DH cleans up as nicely as I think it will, I'm going to try the full-playfield protector on it. Here's my short take on why it's worth $160 to me:

1. I can take pictures just before installing it, and the playfield will look identical when it comes time to sell the game. No further wear!
    2. No waxing required. This will save me many hours of effort while I own the game.
    3. No Cliffys, ball-drop Mylar or any other kind of protection are needed, which should save me some money.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Back on topic

So has anyone had any experience with this stuff in particular?

It's a type of polycarbonate, which was discussed earlier in the thread. Don't let the fancy brand name cloud your thinking. It's very impact and chip resistant, but will eventually scratch. Which can't be cleaned or polished out. In home use, you may never notice the wear.

Quoted from swampfire:

If my DH cleans up as nicely as I think it will, I'm going to try the full-playfield protector on it. Here's my short take on why it's worth $160 to me:

Just know that it will affect gameplay. Even a thin layer of Mylar will affect gameplay. I suspect one of these will affect gameplay noticeably. Let us know how it works out.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I'm intrigued by this item I found today:
    This seems like the ultimate in protection. For those that have tried them, does it get cloudy after a while, like the acrylic window in Congo? Do you wax it like a normal playfield, or just clean it once in a while? What do you use, Novus or Plexus?
    I'd also love to find an uncut sheet of this stuff that I could cut with a Dremel. I'd like to try this on the CSI that I just swapped.
    Thanks!
    John

Why not just use tempered glass and wear a safety shield and latex gloves? You would fit right in while playing CSI.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/perspex-lexan-full-playfield-cover-whos-tried-one and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.