Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7CF76AC8-F4B2-41D5-ABF3-CC57CB8F7084.gif
    C4F65973-EFA9-445A-9B07-791C2E52D920 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider underlord.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What I really don't understand is the seemingly irresistible need to compare pinball machines - one of the most unique commercial products on the planet - to everything else.
    Is it the same reason people embrace conspiracy theories? To try to introduce some semblance of control or order into a chaotic world?
    Pinball machines are like almost nothing else besides pinball machines. You can't even really compare them to other commercial devices like Coke machines or claw machines, which have not developed a fanatical home use following.
    But people keep trying. It's like...maybe if we can finally crack the code, the sheep will all wake up and suddenly prices will fall? I think that's maybe the point, but it's all so weird I'm having a hard time figuring it out.
    Why do you want pinball machines to be Beanie Babies? If we all watch the documentary on Beanie Babies, we'll all get some "perspective" and figure out that pinball machines are just cheap chinese made stuffed animals with no practical use and demand and prices will suddenly fall?

Well, you see, pinball machines are like the environment.

That’s all I got.

7CF76AC8-F4B2-41D5-ABF3-CC57CB8F7084.gif7CF76AC8-F4B2-41D5-ABF3-CC57CB8F7084.gif
    #28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nate1979:

Look man. I am the furthest person from a conspiracy theorist. How you jumped to that haha. Calm down.
    I am also not saying this is a bubble. I am saying if you don’t think this is sterns strategy then I don’t know what to tell you. Some don’t believe that.
    They could choose to produce the back log. But if they did, prices would fall on the secondary market. High secondary market prices is good for them. Scarcity is good for them.
    The beanie baby thing talks about how they started “retiring” units. How they posted secondary market price list on their own site. There are comparisons.
    Long term strategy can be debated but that is their strategy and their choice. I am not even saying they are wrong by the way.
    I am also in a line of manufacturing that uses many, many of the same off the shelf parts as stern. You act like a pinball machine uses rare unobtainium and flux capacitors.
    Stern and pinball is assembly. They can choose what they assemble. They all use 95% of the same parts. That Elvira Limited run for sure did. That was a choice to keep prices high.
    Either way, it was just for an interesting discussion. Some obviously see that. Why every thread here has to be an argument I don’t understand. Not here to argue or say I am right. Just wanted to discuss a different angle that some seem to understand and some still can’t grasp why it is this way.

They’re just trying to poke your hornets nest amigo.

You have a relevant perspective that I tend to agree with.

Why sell lots of stuff at $600 over when you can sell one at $15k over.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider underlord.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/perspective-on-pricing-?tu=underlord and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.