Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jawjaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I have to tell you, I am brand new to pinball. Played a few times 15-20 years ago, and last year got bit by the pin bug going to play 'street fighter' fighting games in a local small arcade. I am more a kid of cabinet video games than pinball machines. That arcade happened to have a few pinball machines. TRON and Iron Man being two of them. I liked them - a lot. So, I went to go see about buying one, then learned about the TRON LE, and a new pinball machine from JJP called the WOZ - thought it looked really nice! And then JJP announced what I think would be an awesome pinball machine - The Hobbit. I decided what the hell - I'll go all in and get this one first. Then I found out about Pinside by someone at the before mentioned mini arcade, and here I am. But I have got to tell you - I am surprised by the attitude of some on here. Some are nice - some are complete dicks.
    I am a software consultant and get to go to several places all over the US - and for the most part is rather hard (most of the time impossible) to find anywhere in ‘insert town name here’ that has ANY pinballs to play at all. Sure there are a few here and there, but not at all common. They are rare - and yes I do use Pin Map - that is very nice feature of this site by the way. Pinballs that are in good shape and publically accessible are HARD to find and play.

I think Stern has got a good idea in making these 'movie pins' that keep the pin themes mainstream and are well known. There were some very good pins made, TRON, Spider Man, Iron Man, etc as of late but they may need to create more premium models. I think the market is now mostly home hobbyist, so keep making premiums – make some of the more popular pins of the last few years premiums. Best I can tell operators want PROs and home use buyers want Premiums. I am not into TWD pin, but you should have a premium of that as well to be honest. LEs are ok, as long as you have a premium as well. Again, just my 2 cents.

I have seen the long time pinheads say 'no, they can't do that'. Look if you guys want to see pinball continue to grow you need to find more ways to say 'YES' and less 'NO' when people are trying to buy new pinball machines. Also, Stern please continue to improve your pins, and touch up your more popular older titles. Iron Man VE is a GREAT idea – please keep that going! As people enter the hobby the expectations of pinball machines is going to increase. I am picky as hell, and I am sure I am not alone. JJP is doing great, I love the LCD - the coding looks promising (wireless/internet/etc). Nice work JJP, keep it going! Other new Pin manufactures like the ones doing TBL, Americas Most Haunted, etc. are welcome - looking forward to playing and possibly owning one of your pins down the road.

Best of luck and happiness to all of you, and long live PINBALL!

#2 9 years ago

Welcome to pinball my friend. You are in for a heck of a ride !

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

So how are you enjoying your Hobbit?

#4 9 years ago

Looking good so far

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

So how are you enjoying your Hobbit?

This is just so wrong
    But so funny at the same time !!
    On another note welcome and start making room for more !!!

#6 9 years ago

Is this funny because it isn't available? or because it is JJP? or because I didn't play before playing? all the above? Just messing around?

Hard to tell with some folks...some are nice...some

#7 9 years ago

Welcome to the jungle... Noob.

And I really hope you enjoy the crap out of it. These things are a blast. Don't get too hooked on the newest games. Some of them are fantastic, some of them are crap. I highly recommend a diverse collection. Don't limit yourself to just one style of games. Toss in some classics along with the latest stuff. Don't ever listen to popular opinion. Always judge games for yourself. Just because groupthink may say a game sucks doesn't mean you won't find it to be the greatest game ever. Get to know some local pinheads. Learn to solder. Because you work in software use your debugging skills. Learn how to diagnose them. You have to learn how to repair them yourself or you are so limited on what you can buy. Always listen to Lloyd (he may not give you a spoon fed answer, but what he says is wise and will help you learn how to solve the problem). Don't get upset when guys here are dicks (they are just doing it to get a rise out of you). Don't get too attached to one manufacturer (there are great games on all sides). And the most important, play some pinball!!! The games were built to make money, but they do that by being fun. So don't forget to have fun. Oh, and learn how to drop catch... People that drop catch well always kick my ass.

#8 9 years ago

Thanks DaveH! Good advice. I would like to get a Stern title to go with the JJP. A flow to go with the stop and go

I think I will only have 3 pins though - hope I can stick to that.

#9 9 years ago

Welcome to pinside.

Flank is thick with sarcasm and always good for a joke.

Hobbit is in your current lineup but not out yet.

Locations are all over in the NW especially around Seattle and Portland metro Area.
    It is still more fun most of the time to have them at home and invite over friends.

#10 9 years ago

Welcome! There's a big pinball arcade in the Nashville area if you ever get out this way

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Flank is thick with sarcasm and always good for a joke.

Cool, sarcasm is some of the best humor, but easy to misinterpret in forums LOL. Also hard to pull off in consulting, but I do it anyway. "This is the worst code I have ever seen, did you write this? Just kidding".

#12 9 years ago

We have all said we can live with only 3 pins...but that was many games ago!

Welcome to the hobby. Thank goodness we have sites like this where both new and old enthusiasts can get the information we need on games.

Just ignore the swamp pits with so many attitudes of buyers/sellers and enjoy the hobby. You will eventually see that only about 10% of us are dickheads. Most normal people do not post that much and don't get involved in the childish battles that we unfortunately see so often here and on other sites.

And don't be afraid to post any questions. You will get answers to any problems you might encounter.

#13 9 years ago

I haven't had anyone being a jerk to me - but I see it too much between others. But to your point - those are probably just the hot heads going at it.

#14 9 years ago

Let me welcome you also and yes some here can be a problem at times but that's just like any other forum about a subject people feel strongly about. I hope Stern keeps making all 3 models because I can't afford a NIB Premium or LE so with the Pro (which I have several of) I can still enjoy a new game without breaking the bank. Hope to see more of you in the future and if your ever in the cities here your welcome to come and play my collection.

#15 9 years ago

This is almost exactly what I have experienced over the last 6 months. I also first put down my $$$ for The Hobbit, after being mesmerized by WOZ.... but then I just couldn't stand waiting. So, first it was an IMVE that popped up NIB on Craigslist one day for a good price. Had never even played IM, but all the talk on Pinside had me sold. Wham! Then a month later, TOTAN -- loved this game on Pinball Arcade iPad app, but had never actually seen one. Bam! And most recently I just went ahead and bought one of the last spots for a WOZECLE from a fellow Pinsider. It arrived less than a month later. Thank you Ma'am!

Similar to you, I had a 3 game limit... and still do! When the time comes, it will be hard to decide if I keep them all when The Hobbit delivery nears. Maybe I'll unload the TOTAN, it's my only non-HUO, non-NIB game. Then again, it's nice to have a classic like that around. Maybe IM? I dunno, it's my first game, and the others don't compare speed wise. No way I'm unloading WOZ. So, it's easy to see how easy it is for others to break their 'limits'.

Anyway, good to see you on here. I have similar feelings about the crap attitude of a lot of posters on here, but then it becomes quite obvious that it's actually just a few dbags without much going besides getting someone else to react.

Cheers!

#16 9 years ago

Awesome! My wife is quietly asking for WOZ too, so that will be 2 down. Truth be told the 1 machine I played several years ago when it came out was MB. It looked awesome and was great to play as I was new to pinball (and not very good). A MBr would be nice as I don't want to spend 15K on a mint refurbished.

#17 9 years ago

welcome to the life. once you are in, you never get out.
    as for the hot heads, many of us are just very passionate about pinball. some times we tend to take things a little to far. again, welcome to the family and flip away.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

We have all said we can live with only 3 pins...

Don't exagerate - you know you thought you could stop at one or two!

Welcome to the hobby OP and remember there are far more options available than just buying the latest and greatest.

#19 9 years ago

Welcome Goronic.

With the bad also comes the good. There are a lot of very funny people on here and you will enjoy the humor. Also good information abounds but you often times have to sift for the content. Topics will most often go sideways at some point. You'll get use to it. And even the drama can be entertaining.

My compliments to you for stepping up and posting. Many don't.

#20 9 years ago

Welcome to pinside! I think you will find there's a lot to enjoy here. Sure, some people are dicks. But most people on here are actually pretty good. I have to give you credit for waiting it out on the Hobbit, in the meantime play as many titles as you can. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up buying something else as well while waiting. It usually starts with just one. (I had only planned to buy one. That plan was a miserable failure.)

#21 9 years ago

I'm new to the hobby, too. I played a little pinball 20 some years ago but not much since. Played a little virtual pinball and quickly decided to get a pin. I'm not that impressed with most of the newer pins but you have to hand it to Stern. They were the only ones to survive a the downturn and still make them today. JPP is new and I think they took forever to get out Oz. I would like to see some better new games but not sure I would buy one because of cost.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/perspective-of-someone-new-to-the-hobby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.