(Topic ID: 111504)

"Personal Touch" to your EM Games

By Boatcat

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aloha entire PF with numbers (resized).jpg
    aloha entire PF with arrows (resized).jpg
    a23d1ee972f722b3b557aef15863b0a94ce8e57f (resized).jpg
    0Lady-Luck-Work-06 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0529 (resized).JPG
    20161126_115840 (resized).jpg
    Surf_Champ_1_(resized).jpg
    Surf_Champ_2_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#166 9 years ago

Pics posted under the "show me your EM's thread"... I added lights under the top ball rail ("cabaret lighting") and a custom ball count card.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-show-us-your-em-pinball-machines/page/61#post-1859826

Had to drill the top plate in a drill press using milling oil and a stepped titanium bit.

#168 9 years ago

I looked at those knock-out punches but since the plate has to be pre-drilled, might as well go all the way with the stepped bit until the desired gauge is achieved. Goes through like butter with the milling oil under a drill press. No damage to the bit thus far and it was a cheap eBay special.

I think the holes are 1" diameter but need to verify.

3 months later
    #243 8 years ago

That's a good idea. Specials are useless on free play and it takes effort to earn them, so why not add to the score? On my 4 Roses, the gobble holes can be advanced from 50 to 100 to 200 to 300 to SPECIAL. Since it is a free play game, advancing to SPECIAL actually hurts you, because you get NO points!!! Makes no sense.

I imagine the original designers would have made SPECIAL worth 500 points, in lieu of a free credit. I'll probably mod my machine to do this with an extra relay. Perhaps click up 500 points whenever the free game knocker hits.

1 year later
    #291 7 years ago

New set of cabaret lights about to get installed on a Gottlieb King Pin...

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Measure twice, drill once!

#295 7 years ago

The only reason Gottlieb stopped installing the lamp sockets was due to operator complaints ("too hard to replace the bulbs!"). So which is more true to the original artistic vision? Leaving them out or putting them back where they belong?

Cabaret lights as reversible mods doesn't interest me because nothing looks as good as installing a lamp socket (1/4" bracket) with a filament bulb and colored sleeve. I've never wanted to undo it on any games. Most, like 2001, greatly benefit because it can get pretty dark up there otherwise.

A few I've done:

Grand Tour (fitted with green/yellow tubing):

Flip-A-Card (bare bulb stage):

Surf Side w/Pinsider Rat_Tomago (traditional Gottlieb red/yellow tubing):

Snow Derby (experimenting with different color light tubes):

...and a custom color paint job (old vs. new below):

#297 7 years ago

Forgot to include 2001 (traditional red/yellow here):

(I also added a fifth lamp socket under the middle kickout when special is lit... so now they all light up)

Thanks for the compliment! I'm really happy with how the custom paint job turned out (uses white lacquer webbing instead of black for "snow"). I think that was the crowning touch which earned it best 70's EM this year. Tons of work but I think it is now the best looking Snow Derby in the world. Much more appealing than the default factory colors.

#301 7 years ago

Surf Side original...

After cabaret lights installed...

#303 7 years ago

Go back a page and look at post #291. Cabaret lights installed under the top arch.

It requires drilling out the steel plate, drilling lamp socket holes in the playfield (7/16"), and wiring up four 1/4" bracket lamp sockets. Recommended to use 47 filament bulbs and plastic light tubes of complementary color. Typically, these were red/yellow but sometimes blue/green/orange works better depending upon the colors of the playfield art & nearby plastics.

#305 7 years ago

Well... value is subjective. Strict preservationists won't like any changes but these are a small minority of pinballers.

Generally, if a lighting mod is professionally done "in the spirit of the original", it won't affect the value much either way. I've added extra lights to the backbox, added stealth LED's, all of my games get the cabaret light treatment around the top arch, etc... no one ever notices. If they do, they never mention it. *shrug*

Funny fact: Surf Side won best runner-up "original condition" machine at TPF in 2015 and it already had the cabaret lights installed. D'oh!

I'm not a fan of the whole crazy rainbow-changing, super bright, too-cold-white, unbalanced color matching LED thing. I'm pretty sure that kind of thing turns most people off, but hey, at least it's reversible if using drop-in replacements.

#308 7 years ago

Thanks man! Snow Derby is (so far) my best example of the "better than new" restoration philosophy which I'm pretty heavily committed to.

I could have done a straight-up repaint of the original cab colors but they aren't very "snowy", are they? I assume that's what the original artists had to work with... so that's that. "Yo, art department! No blue! We gotta use up that huge vat of Gottlieb white first! Whip up something snowy... I don't care... just get it out the door!"

Haha, but in general Gottlieb did outstanding work so there's rarely a need to improve upon it.

One cabinet I have NO QUALMS about sanding everything off is Paradise. The factory paint job sucks. It looks like it should decorate a bingo card from the Jetsons. Gotta go full custom pattern and colors on that one. While emulating the original Gottlieb style, of course.

#311 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Funny, see because I think it was a great 'disservice' to that game, in repainting the cabinet. Especially with 'that' good o' condition of original paint it had on it. Sure, the paint was faded because of age of course and probably more sunlight than would have been ideal but it still looked largely intact... and you don't 'see' that all the time.
    But that's why we have these forums, isn't it? To get people's points of view (sometimes opposing) out there.
    Even right here on Pinside... or 'Eurekaville' as I like to call it.

Awwww... can't please 'em all, but indeed, the diversity of opinions around here is a good thing. BTW, you are a true "Preservationist"!

Quoted from dasvis:

My high hand is getting the upper lights for sure. Nice addition IMHO

BTW, it really helps to use a preexisting factory-drilled arch plate as a template for the new one. Stack 'em, mark 'em, drill 'em... much easier that way and maintains identical placement with the original spec.

1 month later
    #317 7 years ago

Regarding 2001/Dimension, I suggest using the following optimized coil winding recipe. I've done this on two so far... works perfectly!

Unwind 18 feet of wire from each pop bumper coil.
    Unwind 18 feet of wire from each top slingshot coil.
    Wind 36 feet of wire onto each kickout coil at the top.

This will give you livelier action at the top and reduce the kickout hole strength enough to save your playfield and pops (stops the kickouts from flinging the ball so hard).

I don't recommend unwinding the lower slings. They're peppy enough as-is. Otherwise you won't get to catch the ball enough.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/personal-touch-to-your-em-games?tu=nicovolta and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.