(Topic ID: 111504)

"Personal Touch" to your EM Games

By Boatcat

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aloha entire PF with numbers (resized).jpg
    aloha entire PF with arrows (resized).jpg
    a23d1ee972f722b3b557aef15863b0a94ce8e57f (resized).jpg
    0Lady-Luck-Work-06 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0529 (resized).JPG
    20161126_115840 (resized).jpg
    Surf_Champ_1_(resized).jpg
    Surf_Champ_2_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider balzofsteel.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#169 9 years ago

Got a Williams Wild Card a while back. Noticed the scene on the backglass was really similar to another old favorite - Kings & Queens - bunch of folks sitting around playing cards.

K&Q has a tall socket with a blinker bulb wired with the game over lights and placed behind the lantern in the top right corner. Wild Card has the same lamp over the card table but didn't blink...

Disconnected the lantern socket from GI string and wired it to game over lights with correct white/orange wire. Dug a small divot with a die grinder for bulb clearance.

Viola!

wcdivot.JPGwcdivot.JPG

#171 9 years ago

Grand Prix needs, among other things, a flipper rebuild. Yeah, I know, not much of a mod. Anyhow, my GP has too many laps on it to be a collector-grade beauty, nevermind being about as far from rare as a game gets. So maybe I give those flippers a little more horsepower...

DSC02053.jpgDSC02053.jpg

Some orange wire along with some green-yellow-white wire would connect the flippers to playfield DC and take a pretty sharp tech inspection to spot it. Gain some snap and lose the hum when they're on. (and lose the need for fancy AC coil stops)

Maybe even ditch those clunky woodrail-era flippers altogether. Got a deal on some System 6 flippers that didn't need much rebuilding. New plastic bits and those shiny late-model return springs.

Gentlemen, Start your pinball! Vrroom!

#175 9 years ago

ha. Maybe shoveled on a bit thick there.

Reality check: Of the hundreds of comments on ipdb about Sys6 and 6A games, there were no complaints about overpowered flippers hammering the top arch with flying balls. The only one I saw that mentioned flipper quality was to the effect of 'Too bad Gorgar got stuck with the old flippers'.

If I prod the coils with my Fluke meter, I get as much variation between different FL20-300 coils as I do between those and the SFL19-400. If the ohm meter can't tell between similar 24 volt coils then they probably don't make that much difference in the game.

What I do know for a real solid fact is that the miscellaneous bits to rebuild these here bad dudes good-as-new are a heckuva lot cheaper than the EM rebuild kit. Coil sleeve, plastic bushing, plastic link, return spring - do both sides for the price of one EM coil stop.

Oh, by the way, one of my yellow plastics is cracked and nobody has those anymore - only white ones. Plenty available in the new style though. I guess white would be ok for one side if I could put black on the other like a checkered flag but maybe the original yellow is more appropriate like wave the caution flag at a ball going down the drain...

#181 9 years ago

Tilt warning: "See that Louisville Slugger in the corner over there? Yer gonna see it a lot closer if ya keep shakin' the game like that!"

(sorry. nothing of substance to contribute)

3 months later
    #234 8 years ago

Skill Pool got a topper.

sptopper.JPGsptopper.JPG

A small slab of oak, a few bits of brass rod, and some old balls from a yard sale.

5 months later
    #257 8 years ago

An orange traffic cone can usually be found somewhere around a race track - often the start line or pit entrance.

Grand Prix got an orange super minipost rubber there by the flagger.

IMG_0260.jpgIMG_0260.jpg

2 months later
    #279 8 years ago

My buddy had a noisy old pin and two little ones that needed their sleep. The chime switch went in a block added right behind the power switch.

IMG_0405_(resized).jpgIMG_0405_(resized).jpg

5 months later
    #312 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I could have done a straight-up repaint of the original cab colors but they aren't very "snowy", are they?...

It kinda reminded me of an old Frank Zappa song - that one about yellow snow.

8 months later
    #320 7 years ago

Honestly, I thought ol' Night Rider here had a problem - that center bumper said "100 when lit" and it was always lit. The schematic shows that light wired to GI - no problem after all I just thought it looked odd.

IMG_0529 (resized).JPGIMG_0529 (resized).JPG

I did a red-yellow-green thing like a signal light for this here traffic-themed pin.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider balzofsteel.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/personal-touch-to-your-em-games?tu=balzofsteel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.