(Topic ID: 111504)

"Personal Touch" to your EM Games

By Boatcat

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aloha entire PF with numbers (resized).jpg
    aloha entire PF with arrows (resized).jpg
    a23d1ee972f722b3b557aef15863b0a94ce8e57f (resized).jpg
    0Lady-Luck-Work-06 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0529 (resized).JPG
    20161126_115840 (resized).jpg
    Surf_Champ_1_(resized).jpg
    Surf_Champ_2_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NextoPin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#95 9 years ago

Great thread!

I'm working on a couple EMods, mostly just lighting. Nice to see I'm not the only one.

3 weeks later
    #148 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dbaum88:

I have one - I need a way to display high scores on EMs. Most/all of mine do not have a way to record this which sucks because I often play by myself to try and get a high score, but can keep the results on my phone.
    Is there a mod that keeps high scores or a scorecard of some sort to add to an EM machine?

I use a dry erase marker and write it on the backglass or playfield glass. wipes right off. I suppose if you wanted to be period correct you could use a grease pencil

#150 9 years ago

I just zombied the thread for an update, that's a pretty cool mod.

Lately I've just been taking pics with my phone for high scores but that doesn't help unless I'm the only one playing (I usually am).

Seems like you could take this one step further and add LCD screen in place of the reels behind the glass, but that's not really in the spirit of an EM.

#153 9 years ago

00X0X_8zSbPXjcnqC_600x450.jpg00X0X_8zSbPXjcnqC_600x450.jpg
    I bought this over a year ago to use as a virtual pin cabinet. It's totally gutted and was sold as a coffee table project. The playfield was in such nice shape that I've been looking for a project Aztec so I can get it running again but I've been unable to find one cheap enough to make it worthwhile.

My plan is to get a P-ROC or FAST or Arduino based controller and reprogram it to work again. I was going to put a virtual backbox on it with the art and score reels, sort of a EM/SS hybrid.

Then I thought, why not just put a small LED projector where the neck was and project it on the wall behind the pin lol.

Anyway, this is slightly off topic for this thread but I do like how some folks are modifying and modernizing EM's without getting chastised for it.

#158 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Hopefully, someone has an orphaned head out there for you. You could also consider a Hot Tip EM. I used a Jubliee head to complete a Fan-Tas-Tic body I had. In that era, a lot of things matched up as far as light etc. I only had to add 1 wire to the head to make it function 100%.

That would be cool. I have a Big Ben single player head, but the problem is what you see in that pic is all I have, it's gutted and has no bottom board.

#160 9 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

You basically need to come across a cheap, trashed Aztec for its mechanicals and back box. Williams did make A LOT of them so there's hope.

Yup. But for whatever reason, these playfields seem to hold up. Every one I've seen has a playfield as nice as mine. I can't find one for under $400 and at that price, I'd likely buy the controller board and make my own.

I'm sure one will turn up someday, hopefully before I finish my other projects and start on that virtual pin

2 weeks later
    #174 9 years ago

So I came up with an idea the other night, tell me what you think or if it's been done before.

I want to make a danger box. It will connect to the tilt bob and allow for a buzzer and timer so you can add a warning(s) to EM games before a full tilt.

#177 9 years ago

Yea, First, it's modifying and EM and on top of that, it's modifying the gameplay and possibly the rules.

I would still want to make it electromechanical which I think is possible with a stepper or possibly a score reel.

If you had a solid state pin that came factory with no tilt warning and there was a ROM that added 2 dangers, would you update the ROM?

- Need a tip-toe emote

#180 9 years ago

I think you might want the tilt bob to go to a relay that connects to the stepper.

I have an old rotary dial phone, I was thinking about using the ringer bell for the warning. How would you set a delay of say 2 seconds before it checks the bob switch again?

#185 9 years ago

I think a resetting stepper is the way to go, like a credit or ball unit. I can probably do the delay with a capacitor and relay so it holds for a few seconds before is decrements the "Danger Unit". If I use a credit unit, I can make the warnings configurable and the timing could be adjusted with a potentiometer.

It might also be fun to have the credit (or some other light) light go on when you are at your final (or only) warning, Maybe have another bulb behind the 'TILT' in the backglass with a blinker in it.

1 week later
    #188 9 years ago
    Quoted from kangourou:

Jet Spin
    The ball went between the targets. Finished now !

photo9.jpg 45 KB

P1020594.JPG 192 KB

That looks factory. nice job.

#194 9 years ago

That must have been A LOT of rivets.

#197 9 years ago

Wow. It's fun to think about these things, but I don't see it as practical to actually do unless you really hate tilts. It would be really easy to rig a small circuit in a project box that does all this with some alligator clips you could put on the tilt bob, but that kind of goes against the spirit of and EM mod.

1 month later
    #231 9 years ago

Looks nice!

I had a questions. I recently picked up a Spirit of 76'. It has white posts just like nick's fireball. I was thinking about swapping them out with some clear posts I have. Any opinions on how that would look?

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2293

#233 9 years ago

OK, Here's a EM Mod question, this seems like the best place for it.

I picked up an Argosy. Normally the spinner is lit by an "alternating" cam driven off the match unit. The little beak on the coil is broke so it doesn't turn the cam. Over time previous owners have messed with it so the springs and switch are a bit mangled. If I manually close the switch the spinner does light.

That aside, having the spinner randomly turn on and off is kind of crappy. What I want to do is have the spinner light come on when the player gets double bonus by completing the target back and shooting the kickout hole.

The spinner is lit by the Change Relay. The double bonus is lit by the Double Bonus Relay.

Can I just jump the Double Bonus coil to the Change coil so they both are energized by the Double Bonus Relay?

1 month later
    #239 8 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

I picked up an Argosy. Normally the spinner is lit by an "alternating" cam driven off the match unit. The little beak on the coil is broke so it doesn't turn the cam. Over time previous owners have messed with it so the springs and switch are a bit mangled. If I manually close the switch the spinner does light.
    That aside, having the spinner randomly turn on and off is kind of crappy. What I want to do is have the spinner light come on when the player gets double bonus by completing the target back and shooting the kickout hole.
    The spinner is lit by the Change Relay. The double bonus is lit by the Double Bonus Relay.
    Can I just jump the Double Bonus coil to the Change coil so they both are energized by the Double Bonus Relay?

I'm still looking for advice on this if anyone has any. Thanks!

1 week later
    #242 8 years ago

Any suggestions on how to make Special worth points instead of replay's?

1 week later
    #251 8 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

NextoPin said:
    I'm still looking for advice on this if anyone has any. Thanks!

I tried this. I jumped a wire from the coil on the double bonus relay to the change relay and when double bonus is lit, it lights the spinner. Pretty easy mod, I just used a jumper wire with clips. I can post pics if anyone needs them.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NextoPin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/personal-touch-to-your-em-games?tu=NextoPin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.