(Topic ID: 111504)

"Personal Touch" to your EM Games

By Boatcat

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aloha entire PF with numbers (resized).jpg
    aloha entire PF with arrows (resized).jpg
    a23d1ee972f722b3b557aef15863b0a94ce8e57f (resized).jpg
    0Lady-Luck-Work-06 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0529 (resized).JPG
    20161126_115840 (resized).jpg
    Surf_Champ_1_(resized).jpg
    Surf_Champ_2_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    There are 335 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
    #201 9 years ago

I saw somewhere in this thread that someone had done a mod where they have the game over light on their game light up when the game is over. Is there a how to on how to do this somewhere? I'd love to do this with Sunshine. The BG has a game over light and there's a drilled hole in the head.

As for personal touches, I like to add all new screws in the playfield, and have added a post or two here or there. I also usually unwrap pop bumper coils to give them some more zip. Kind of boring, but I haven't really given modding much thought before reading this thread. There's some awesome mad science going on here.

#202 9 years ago

jjpm...........

Wire 1 side of the "Game Over" Light anywhere to the common wire braid running around in the backbox, and wire the other side of the socket to the wired side of the "Match In-Out" jones plug. Make sure you don't pick up the common braid at this connection or you'll blow the 6V fuse to the light box and, (possibly), more bulbs. Just double-up on the wire on the machine side of the plug. Very easy!

If you need more help, go to RGP and use the search area. This has been covered several times there. You'll also notice several games of this era missing the game over light.

#203 9 years ago
    Quoted from Boatcat:

jjpm...........
    Wire 1 side of the "Game Over" Light anywhere to the common wire braid running around in the backbox, and wire the other side of the socket to the wired side of the "Match In-Out" jones plug. Make sure you don't pick up the common braid at this connection or you'll blow the 6V fuse to the light box and, (possibly), more bulbs. Just double-up on the wire on the machine side of the plug. Very easy!
    If you need more help, go to RGP and use the search area. This has been covered several times there. You'll also notice several games of this era missing the game over light.

Awesome. Thank you. With the snow coming today, it looks like I have a project for the day!

#204 9 years ago
    Quoted from kangourou:

Jet Spin
    The ball went between the targets. Finished now !

Are you running hitap and/or yellow flipper coils Andrew on this machine?

photo9.jpg 45 KB

P1020594.JPG 192 KB

#205 9 years ago

Hi Wayne,

What do you want to say ?

----------------------------------------------------

Wanted : Dead or Alive - In any condition
    Gottlieb SPACE WALK
    You find, you win : REWARD USD 500

http://www.facebook.com/kangourou.flipper?fref=ts

#206 9 years ago

Trying to understand the force at the top end Andrew. On my Super Spin by the time the ball gets to the top it does not seem to have the velocity to go between the targets. I thought you may have been on hi tap or hi power flipper coils.

#207 9 years ago

Ok Wayne,

No transformation, no diode bridges, no new coils on my Jet Spin, my transformer in only on "high" position !

Gottlieb SPACE WALK

#208 9 years ago

Hey Guys,

Magic City: I'm looking for ideas how to make this game more Gottlieb like rules wise. I don't like once "Magic-City" letters are all lit, there are no above flipper shots for increased points or specials. I'm looking for input on once all the Magic city letters are all lit what can be done to make it have the 'one more game' draw. For example, Change the C-I-T-Y shots to give 100 instead of 10, change center shot to special (I feel this would be too generous). Maybe hitting the alternating lit letter above the 'magic city' on the center of the PF will give a roaming special... ???? I really want to like this game more than I do.

#209 9 years ago

I would say the best improvement would be to do the roving special for all the MAGIC CITY lights/Targets.

Its been a while since I played one but I am assuming the rollovers and targets are initially lit, while the name spell lights are off. And, as you get a letter, the rollover/target goes out and the associated lamp in the name lights up. If that is correct, I would also want to incorporate the lighting of the letter that would award special, not just the spotting arrow. In fact, now that spotting is over, I might also want to turn the arrow off.

Obviously, the spot arrow runs off the Match unit. So, you would have to look and see if you can find 10 unused rivets in a row that could be used to control the roving lamp. If so, you would add a switch to the special when lit relay to put power to the wiper and then have to run 10 wires to power the playfield letter lamps. Hopefully, you could pick those up at the trip bank (I assume there is a trip bank with a trip relay for each letter and star) where the switch goes from turning the roll over / target lamp off and feeds the name spell lamp instead. This should reduce wire length.

If the stepper for the match is up in the head (probably is for the bell striker), it sucks since you would need to run at least 10 wires down to the playfield where the trip bank or lamp sockets are. If it were on the playfield, it would be a lot easier but then they would have had to run 10 wires up to the head for the match lights. Right now, I cannot think of how you could re-use the arrow lights to power the roving letter lights without the use of 10 make/break switches fed via the special feature.

Of course, I may have guessed wrong on the spot arrow stepper being part of the match stepper. If I did, then it would be a much easier implementation. The easy way would be to do just as you suggested and just re-purpose the spot arrow as the special target indicator but Gottlieb certainly would have not done it that way (I don't think?).

#210 9 years ago

Also, if you did not want to run this feature off of the existing stepper used for the spotting arrow, you could add a late model "mini" stepper like that used for match in later 70s games and mount it to the playfield. Then, you could decide on what score feature(s) you wanted to use to move the lamp if you didn't want to piggy back it off the "ADVANCE" labeled features. This approach would probably provide the least amount of mod-ing grief. One PCB would be used for lighting the roving lamp, while the other routed the target switch to the special scoring. Ugg, just realized that's 10 more wires unless there is score change related to the letter's trip bank switches. But still at least 20 wires to do the mod.

#211 9 years ago

Yep, Adding a roving special to this game is a huge undertaking! Best to leave that mod alone, you'll be running wires all over the place!

I always liked Magic City, but, in looking over the playfield on the database, I can't think of something that would excite me once the sequence is completed, as dork is saying. Looks like all you have are side drain specials and that's it. What a let-down.

That said, I don't think it's too liberal to make the center target a special. It can be done easy enough. Is there an alternating relay? Perhaps you could run it through the alternating relay making the special appear at the target only half the time. You'll have to make the judgement call on generosity once you've played it. All I remember is how tough the game is to keep the ball in play, and with the flippers set so far apart, getting off well controlled shots at the target won't happen much anyway.

#212 9 years ago

Thanks for the input. After reading about the roaming target and what it would take, that may be more than I would prefer to invest timewise. I like the idea of having an alternating relay with a special tied to the center shot. I don't believe there is an alternating relay but it could be added. Making the center shot juicy when lit. Thanks again for the feedback.

#213 9 years ago

As Boatcat suggested, you could just tackle the center target and marry it to the Star for Special. This would mean it would only be lit 1 out of 10 advances. So, you WOULD have a chance at a special on the playfield and not just for a lost ball.

Tough part is whether there is a spare place with a wiper on the match unit that could be used to for converting the target scoring to special scoring. The light portion is already there via the arrow lamp.

#214 9 years ago
    Quoted from kangourou:

my transformer in only on "high" position !

See?

#215 9 years ago

ATTENTION : It's a French transformer !

transformer.JPGtransformer.JPG

Gottlieb SPACE WALK

#216 9 years ago

Ok Andrew-on high not normal. That explains your top end velocity!!

#217 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

As Boatcat suggested, you could just tackle the center target and marry it to the Star for Special. This would mean it would only be lit 1 out of 10 advances. So, you WOULD have a chance at a special on the playfield and not just for a lost ball.

Tough part is whether there is a spare place with a wiper on the match unit that could be used to for converting the target scoring to special scoring. The light portion is already there via the arrow lamp.

I was thinking CactusJack's idea of a special on the star spot also. but didn't feel at the time that this special would be enough to quench PDork's thirst for that "Big-Time" last ball.

PDork.............How about trying out the game with the center target scoring a special at all times when the sequence is completed to see if in fact, it is too easy. This could be done easy enough since the side drain specials have a dedicated rollover which is dead when not lit. Simply jump both sides of either special switch to both sides of the center target. If it is too easy, try adding another switch to the star relay, and run 1 wire from the special rollover switch to this switch, then another wire from the other side of this switch to the center target. This means you'll have to have the sequence completed, AND the star spot lit for a center target to start scoring specials. Using the alternating relay will begin to get complicated as 2 switches will need to be added on that relay, (1 to add a replay, and 1 to operate a "Special when lit" lite bulb, wired in series with 1 of the side drain special bulbs).

A few things can be done as indicated, but try the simplest first. The more I think about it, the more I feel the generosity will hardly be noticed. The normal sequence is a tough cookie, and chances are you won't have much of the game left to pound away at the target anyway.

Have fun with it! Good luck!

#218 9 years ago

anyone have a link to how someone made the "royal guard" guards "march on the bg"? i've been puzzling through the schematic, and i think i have it figured out, but would like to see how the other person did it...

#219 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

anyone have a link to how someone made the "royal guard" guards "march on the bg"? i've been puzzling through the schematic, and i think i have it figured out, but would like to see how the other person did it...

I think it was displayed at the 2007 Pacific Pinball Expo. I recall seeing either pictures or a video of it, but can't spot it at the moment.

#220 9 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

I think it was displayed at the 2007 Pacific Pinball Expo. I recall seeing either pictures or a video of it, but can't spot it at the moment.

thanks df... like i said, i think i have it mostly worked out in my mind... now i need to take some time and put it down on paper and draw out the circuit to see if it really makes sense...

#221 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Ok Andrew-on high not normal. That explains your top end velocity!!

All my pinballs are in HIGH position and they are very fast !

Gottlieb SPACE WALK

#222 9 years ago
    Quoted from kangourou:

ATTENTION : It's a French transformer !

transformer.JPG 44 KB

Then why is it speaking English?

#223 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

thanks df... like i said, i think i have it mostly worked out in my mind... now i need to take some time and put it down on paper and draw out the circuit to see if it really makes sense...

That was the work of my friend Pete C. As I recall, all he did was do a custom assembly with 2 coils, one to pull it one way, one to pull it the other. Isn't that the way the spot targets switch back and forth anyway? I don't think there was any "circuit" involved, just the mechanics. I also think he had to move a stepper unit to make room for the workings.

If you PM me a specific question, I can forward it to him and ask and get back with the answer.

He also scanned, printed and cut out the soldiers legs. As I recall, he also added the Eskimo from North Star in the back drop artwork.

#224 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Because Gottlieb was an American company which exported in the world !

Gottlieb SPACE WALK

#225 9 years ago

Hey, PDork,

In re-reading, just thought of something. You need to run the wires from each side of the associated N/O switch on the sequence completed relay instead of a side drain special rollover. If you did it the way I mentioned above, you'll be awarded the center target each time you drain down the side. Sorry for the confusion, I went brain-dead there for a minute, (sorry).

#226 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

"Why do you think I have this outrageous accent?"

15769496794755566121.jpeg___1_500_1_500_cb94de6a_.png.jpg15769496794755566121.jpeg___1_500_1_500_cb94de6a_.png.jpg
    #227 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

"Why do you think I have this outrageous accent?"

15769496794755566121.jpeg___1_500_1_500_cb94de6a_.png.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Great stuff!

2 weeks later
    #228 9 years ago

Got this idea from this thread. Installed a 44 lamp under the saucer in my Strato-Flite. Came out great and really lights up what was normally a dark spot on the playfield.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#229 9 years ago

The illuminated kick-out hole does look better in this game, (looks like a Statoflight). I did the same thing with the kick-outs on my Ice Revue.

1 week later
    #230 9 years ago

Modded my fireball to get rid of those plastic ends that hold the captive ball. I reshaped the plastics and fitted two posts with rings in front of them. They hold the ball perfectly, and it gets rid of the clear plastic that cracks / breaks / chips so it looks unsightly. My plastics were already broken and repaired, so I didn't alter good ones. This set up will last forever, looks much neater, and doesn't affect how the game plays. It's also easily put back to original as it doesn't involve any new holes.

Fireball 058 a.jpgFireball 058 a.jpg
    #231 9 years ago

Looks nice!

I had a questions. I recently picked up a Spirit of 76'. It has white posts just like nick's fireball. I was thinking about swapping them out with some clear posts I have. Any opinions on how that would look?

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2293

#232 9 years ago

can't hurt to try... be interesting to see what it would do to the lighting... might be cool...

#233 9 years ago

OK, Here's a EM Mod question, this seems like the best place for it.

I picked up an Argosy. Normally the spinner is lit by an "alternating" cam driven off the match unit. The little beak on the coil is broke so it doesn't turn the cam. Over time previous owners have messed with it so the springs and switch are a bit mangled. If I manually close the switch the spinner does light.

That aside, having the spinner randomly turn on and off is kind of crappy. What I want to do is have the spinner light come on when the player gets double bonus by completing the target back and shooting the kickout hole.

The spinner is lit by the Change Relay. The double bonus is lit by the Double Bonus Relay.

Can I just jump the Double Bonus coil to the Change coil so they both are energized by the Double Bonus Relay?

4 weeks later
    #234 8 years ago

Skill Pool got a topper.

sptopper.JPGsptopper.JPG

A small slab of oak, a few bits of brass rod, and some old balls from a yard sale.

#235 8 years ago

Topper i put together for my Hot Shot.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #236 8 years ago

both pool theme toppers look great!
    it is not easy to top an em and make it look good

#237 8 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

I tried finding a miniature electrified female corpse for my C37....no go

#238 8 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

Thanks you just have to keep it simple looking with EM's

1 week later
    #239 8 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

I picked up an Argosy. Normally the spinner is lit by an "alternating" cam driven off the match unit. The little beak on the coil is broke so it doesn't turn the cam. Over time previous owners have messed with it so the springs and switch are a bit mangled. If I manually close the switch the spinner does light.
    That aside, having the spinner randomly turn on and off is kind of crappy. What I want to do is have the spinner light come on when the player gets double bonus by completing the target back and shooting the kickout hole.
    The spinner is lit by the Change Relay. The double bonus is lit by the Double Bonus Relay.
    Can I just jump the Double Bonus coil to the Change coil so they both are energized by the Double Bonus Relay?

I'm still looking for advice on this if anyone has any. Thanks!

#240 8 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

I'm still looking for advice on this if anyone has any. Thanks!

Maybe re-post in EM Tech as its own thread?

#241 8 years ago

On my Spanish Eyes I machined a bracket to support a 5" bell and a knocker assy. that mounts to the inner left side of the cabinet. That replaces the knocker assy. Then I modified a newer style knocker assy. and mounted it in the head. It uses a 4" bell I believe. That replaces the single chime bar. Now....three bells, it sounds great.

#242 8 years ago

Any suggestions on how to make Special worth points instead of replay's?

#243 8 years ago

That's a good idea. Specials are useless on free play and it takes effort to earn them, so why not add to the score? On my 4 Roses, the gobble holes can be advanced from 50 to 100 to 200 to 300 to SPECIAL. Since it is a free play game, advancing to SPECIAL actually hurts you, because you get NO points!!! Makes no sense.

I imagine the original designers would have made SPECIAL worth 500 points, in lieu of a free credit. I'll probably mod my machine to do this with an extra relay. Perhaps click up 500 points whenever the free game knocker hits.

#244 8 years ago

Some pins did have operator settings
    to choose between awarding
    free play or extra ball for a special
    or points when set to novelty play.

#245 8 years ago

Okay... gotta another one on the 4 Roses I just recently shopped out.

Absolutely love the game but it's a really tough customer. Right now (if and when) you advance both gobble holes to special, the rotating center target lights for special (if you've hit the top rollover button). Not an easy feat as even going down the center rollover doesn't guarantee you'll hit this button.

And absolutely 'amazing' how the ball can be zooming by it... from all different directions and still not roll over the silly thing... I've never seen anything quite like it!!

But at any rate... when you finally get the four-way target lit for special... it goes out when you hit it and you have to try to shoot the ball back to the upper playfield and also try to get that rollover button again.

I want to modify the game so when you light the center target for special... it stays lit. Until the ball drains that is, then you would need to hit the button again but once you did, it would stay lit again for special until that ball drained and so on and so on.

I think this would be an improvement and don't believe you would win an unreasonable amount of games with this mod. You'd simply have a fairer chance for a 'breakout game' and also make it a lot more fun.

Not sure how hard this mod would be to do... but I'm apt to find out.

#246 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Okay... gotta another one on the 4 Roses I just recently shopped out.
    Absolutely love the game but it's a really tough customer.
    I want to modify the game
    Not sure how hard this mod would be to do... but I'm apt to find out.

Hey Glen bring the schematic next Sat and we can look it over.

#247 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballdork:

Hey Glen bring the schematic next Sat and we can look it over.

Will do.

Thanks, buddy!

#248 8 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

Does the Alternating relay change anything else on the playfield? If so, you can't just have it energize with the DB relay, or the other alternating features will be compromised. If lighting the spinner is all it does, you'd be good to go simply adding that 1 wire.

#249 8 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

Any suggestions on how to make Special worth points instead of replay's?

We used to decide in advance that each replay earned would be, say, 100 points for that player. Then, at the end of the game, we would see how many replays were added to the replay meter, agreed as to which player(s) earned them, and then mentally add the replay points to the final score(s).

#250 8 years ago

Anyone rigged up an "over the top" buzzer or bell on a wedgehead?

There are 335 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/personal-touch-to-your-em-games/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.