New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 111504)

"Personal Touch" to your EM Games

By Boatcat

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 334 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Dono
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 85 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

a23d1ee972f722b3b557aef15863b0a94ce8e57f (resized).jpg
    0Lady-Luck-Work-06 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0529 (resized).JPG
    20161126_115840 (resized).jpg
    Surf_Champ_1_(resized).jpg
    Surf_Champ_2_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

There are 334 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 5 years ago

I used to have one of those beer chalkboard signs in my basement that I would write the high scores on. It actually made my daughters interested in playing for a little while. They liked to try and knock my scores off of the board. Once they accomplished that feat they lost interest again.

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

Seems like you could take this one step further and add LCD screen in place of the reels behind the glass, but that's not really in the spirit of an EM.

due to a comment someone made in another thread about bg's that are thoroughly roached and not replaceable, i've been thinking on and off about what it would take to put a lcd screen in a backbox (leaving the score reels intact)... my original thought would be that it would function simply as a tv, but i suppose you could overlay the scores onto it...

it's not really a fully developed thought, but functionally, its doable... still stuck with the "noise" issues that the other guy was running into...

#153 5 years ago

00X0X_8zSbPXjcnqC_600x450.jpg
    I bought this over a year ago to use as a virtual pin cabinet. It's totally gutted and was sold as a coffee table project. The playfield was in such nice shape that I've been looking for a project Aztec so I can get it running again but I've been unable to find one cheap enough to make it worthwhile.

My plan is to get a P-ROC or FAST or Arduino based controller and reprogram it to work again. I was going to put a virtual backbox on it with the art and score reels, sort of a EM/SS hybrid.

Then I thought, why not just put a small LED projector where the neck was and project it on the wall behind the pin lol.

Anyway, this is slightly off topic for this thread but I do like how some folks are modifying and modernizing EM's without getting chastised for it.

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

Image (auto-loading disabled)
    The playfield was in such nice shape that I've been looking for a project Aztec so I can get it running again but I've been unable to find one cheap enough to make it worthwhile.

00X0X_8zSbPXjcnqC_600x450.jpg 28 KB

Hopefully, someone has an orphaned head out there for you. You could also consider a Hot Tip EM. I used a Jubliee head to complete a Fan-Tas-Tic body I had. In that era, a lot of things matched up as far as light etc. I only had to add 1 wire to the head to make it function 100%.

#155 5 years ago

I always thought it would be cool to wire my Top Card to rotate the special light around the individual numbers once they have all been hit, a la Aquarius. The "special" shots on this game are so uninspired--none have a direct shot from the flippers.

A nice stepper unit, and a relay or two, and I should be all set.

#156 5 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

I always thought it would be cool to wire my Top Card to rotate the special light around the individual numbers once they have all been hit, a la Aquarius. The "special" shots on this game are so uninspired--none have a direct shot from the flippers.

I had a similar idea for "Capt. Card". One card on each suit would light for WOW alternately. First, I'd need to find a copy of the game. Ah, never mind.

#157 5 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

That's an interesting idea... was wondering if you would leave the existing specials on the game alone?

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Hopefully, someone has an orphaned head out there for you. You could also consider a Hot Tip EM. I used a Jubliee head to complete a Fan-Tas-Tic body I had. In that era, a lot of things matched up as far as light etc. I only had to add 1 wire to the head to make it function 100%.

That would be cool. I have a Big Ben single player head, but the problem is what you see in that pic is all I have, it's gutted and has no bottom board.

#159 5 years ago

You basically need to come across a cheap, trashed Aztec for its mechanicals and back box. Williams did make A LOT of them so there's hope.

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

You basically need to come across a cheap, trashed Aztec for its mechanicals and back box. Williams did make A LOT of them so there's hope.

Yup. But for whatever reason, these playfields seem to hold up. Every one I've seen has a playfield as nice as mine. I can't find one for under $400 and at that price, I'd likely buy the controller board and make my own.

I'm sure one will turn up someday, hopefully before I finish my other projects and start on that virtual pin

#161 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballprowess:

That's an interesting idea... was wondering if you would leave the existing specials on the game alone?

Not if I could help it, since they just seem to be random shots. Unless of course it created other issues, in which case "random" might not seem so bad.

I would probably keep at least one or both of these Special lights lit (w/o their corresponding scoring) after all numbers have been scored, so that I knew that any lit number would then be for the Special.

tc.png

Okay, who has an extra Aquarius schematic that they can send me?

#162 5 years ago

The only two touches I've done are: adding a light behind the 5 drops on Target Alpha, and adding a light behind the power button on my Gottliebs with a red plastic button. Makes it easier for the casual player to start a game...looks cool too!

WP_20150108_21_41_38_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150108_21_42_49_Pro.jpg

#163 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dbaum88:

I have one - I need a way to display high scores on EMs.

Here is a great, low cost idea for displaying high scores. Look down the thread for the leader board.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spring-grove-il-pinball-party

#164 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

Here is a great, low cost idea for displaying high scores. Look down the thread for the leader board.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spring-grove-il-pinball-party

Disregard, the pic is not there anymore. I will post it next week.

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Not if I could help it, since they just seem to be random shots. Unless of course it created other issues, in which case "random" might not seem so bad.
    I would probably keep at least one or both of these Special lights lit (w/o their corresponding scoring) after all numbers have been scored, so that I knew that any lit number would then be for the Special.

Okay, who has an extra Aquarius schematic that they can send me?

Yeah, because I was thinking if you left the existing specials alone and then added a roving special, you would make probably a little too easy of a game, an even easier game.

tc.png 190 KB

1 week later
    #166 5 years ago

Pics posted under the "show me your EM's thread"... I added lights under the top ball rail ("cabaret lighting") and a custom ball count card.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-show-us-your-em-pinball-machines/page/61#post-1859826

Had to drill the top plate in a drill press using milling oil and a stepped titanium bit.

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Pics posted under the "show me your EM's thread"... I added lights under the top ball rail ("cabaret lighting") and a custom ball count card.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-show-us-your-em-pinball-machines/page/61#post-1859826
    Had to drill the top plate in a drill press using milling oil and a stepped titanium bit.

If you plan to do a number of these, you might want to look into finding the right size "Greenlee Punch" to cut larger holes in sheet metal. It only requires drilling one hole size for the bolt. They sometimes show up real cheap on ebay.

#168 5 years ago

I looked at those knock-out punches but since the plate has to be pre-drilled, might as well go all the way with the stepped bit until the desired gauge is achieved. Goes through like butter with the milling oil under a drill press. No damage to the bit thus far and it was a cheap eBay special.

I think the holes are 1" diameter but need to verify.

#169 5 years ago

Got a Williams Wild Card a while back. Noticed the scene on the backglass was really similar to another old favorite - Kings & Queens - bunch of folks sitting around playing cards.

K&Q has a tall socket with a blinker bulb wired with the game over lights and placed behind the lantern in the top right corner. Wild Card has the same lamp over the card table but didn't blink...

Disconnected the lantern socket from GI string and wired it to game over lights with correct white/orange wire. Dug a small divot with a die grinder for bulb clearance.

Viola!

wcdivot.JPG

#170 5 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

If you plan to do a number of these, you might want to look into finding the right size "Greenlee Punch" to cut larger holes in sheet metal. It only requires drilling one hole size for the bolt. They sometimes show up real cheap on ebay.

Terrific tip CactusJack-I had not come across this style of punch. Potentially very useful as I see there are square & rectangle punches. Process will be useful as I want to make a number of cash boxes & the rectangular punch will enable the coin slots in the lids-thks.

#171 5 years ago

Grand Prix needs, among other things, a flipper rebuild. Yeah, I know, not much of a mod. Anyhow, my GP has too many laps on it to be a collector-grade beauty, nevermind being about as far from rare as a game gets. So maybe I give those flippers a little more horsepower...

DSC02053.jpg

Some orange wire along with some green-yellow-white wire would connect the flippers to playfield DC and take a pretty sharp tech inspection to spot it. Gain some snap and lose the hum when they're on. (and lose the need for fancy AC coil stops)

Maybe even ditch those clunky woodrail-era flippers altogether. Got a deal on some System 6 flippers that didn't need much rebuilding. New plastic bits and those shiny late-model return springs.

Gentlemen, Start your pinball! Vrroom!

#172 5 years ago

wow... i don't think i've ever played a shopped grand prix that i wished had more powerful flippers... you must be able to spin the spinner about a million times with that setup...

#173 5 years ago

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. You want your Grand Prix to play faster?!

#174 5 years ago

So I came up with an idea the other night, tell me what you think or if it's been done before.

I want to make a danger box. It will connect to the tilt bob and allow for a buzzer and timer so you can add a warning(s) to EM games before a full tilt.

#175 5 years ago

ha. Maybe shoveled on a bit thick there.

Reality check: Of the hundreds of comments on ipdb about Sys6 and 6A games, there were no complaints about overpowered flippers hammering the top arch with flying balls. The only one I saw that mentioned flipper quality was to the effect of 'Too bad Gorgar got stuck with the old flippers'.

If I prod the coils with my Fluke meter, I get as much variation between different FL20-300 coils as I do between those and the SFL19-400. If the ohm meter can't tell between similar 24 volt coils then they probably don't make that much difference in the game.

What I do know for a real solid fact is that the miscellaneous bits to rebuild these here bad dudes good-as-new are a heckuva lot cheaper than the EM rebuild kit. Coil sleeve, plastic bushing, plastic link, return spring - do both sides for the price of one EM coil stop.

Oh, by the way, one of my yellow plastics is cracked and nobody has those anymore - only white ones. Plenty available in the new style though. I guess white would be ok for one side if I could put black on the other like a checkered flag but maybe the original yellow is more appropriate like wave the caution flag at a ball going down the drain...

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

So I came up with an idea the other night, tell me what you think or if it's been done before.
    I want to make a danger box. It will connect to the tilt bob and allow for a buzzer and timer so you can add a warning(s) to EM games before a full tilt.

I know I have had some great games going on EM's... where I could have used a 'tilt warning'.

Not sure what to make of this idea but you're definitely on the right thread.

#177 5 years ago

Yea, First, it's modifying and EM and on top of that, it's modifying the gameplay and possibly the rules.

I would still want to make it electromechanical which I think is possible with a stepper or possibly a score reel.

If you had a solid state pin that came factory with no tilt warning and there was a ROM that added 2 dangers, would you update the ROM?

- Need a tip-toe emote

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

Yea, First, it's modifying and EM and on top of that, it's modifying the gameplay and possibly the rules.
    I would still want to make it electromechanical which I think is possible with a stepper or possibly a score reel.
    If you had a solid state pin that came factory with no tilt warning and there was a ROM that added 2 dangers, would you update the ROM?
    - Need a tip-toe emote

You know.. probably NOT. Curiously though, I 'like' the tilt warning feature on the solid-states that I own (my staggering collection of 3).

But if you read this thread, you'll know that I am not opposed to mods. It's just the 'type' of mod and if I feel strongly about it, which I do or wouldn't consider it. I will say the best mod on an EM or even a solid-state, are the ones that are easily reversible or at least reversible back to original, without leaving holes in the playfield or that kind of a thing...

It is an interesting thought... but one where you are kind of 'combining' EM's with solid-states, so that's what is throwing me.

Remember though, these are 'your' machines. And if you feel strongly about it and hopefully, it could be reversed back to original without injury... why not?

#179 5 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

- Need a tip-toe emote

off the top of my head, i think it could be done with a stepper... and be reversible...

- scavenge a ball counter stepper...
    - wire that stepper into the reset sequence to reset the stepper... if you want to reset the warning every ball, force a stepper reset as part of the "ball count increment"...
    - connect the tilt bob so that it fires the stepper increment coil...
    - connect the rivets on the stepper to "something that makes noise"...
    - after however many warnings you want, connect that rivet to the tilt relay...

am i missing something?

#180 5 years ago

I think you might want the tilt bob to go to a relay that connects to the stepper.

I have an old rotary dial phone, I was thinking about using the ringer bell for the warning. How would you set a delay of say 2 seconds before it checks the bob switch again?

#181 5 years ago

Tilt warning: "See that Louisville Slugger in the corner over there? Yer gonna see it a lot closer if ya keep shakin' the game like that!"

(sorry. nothing of substance to contribute)

#182 5 years ago

I would think that 1 warning should be plenty, but that's me. If you could live with that, wiring in a Wms. or Bally score reel, (with board), would work, and you wouldn't need to reset the reel, just wire in the tilt relay for a full tilt on every other print on the score reel's circuit board. Have the tilt-bob step up the score reel coil, with the score reel printed board wired back and forth between buzzer-full tilt-buzzer-full tilt, etc.

I think it's a great idea on EM's but in keeping it easy, 1 warning would be enough for me, followed by a game ending full tilt. Wiring it this way would not be a lot of work.

#183 5 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

I think you might want the tilt bob to go to a relay that connects to the stepper.
    I have an old rotary dial phone, I was thinking about using the ringer bell for the warning. How would you set a delay of say 2 seconds before it checks the bob switch again?

i like the idea of the bell from the phone, assuming the phone is beat to begin with and is a suitable donor..

i wouldn't bother with a "delay and check"... you could build a timer circuit, but we'd be getting into "non-em" territory there (at least to do it reasonably easily)...

Quoted from Boatcat:

I would think that 1 warning should be plenty, but that's me. If you could live with that, wiring in a Wms. or Bally score reel, (with board), would work, and you wouldn't need to reset the reel, just wire in the tilt relay for a full tilt on every other print on the score reel's circuit board. Have the tilt-bob step up the score reel coil, with the score reel printed board wired back and forth between buzzer-full tilt-buzzer-full tilt, etc.
    I think it's a great idea on EM's but in keeping it easy, 1 warning would be enough for me, followed by a game ending full tilt. Wiring it this way would not be a lot of work.

this idea is workable too... would keep the wiring to a minimum... the only issue there is that if the previous game ended with it in the "warning position", the next game played wouldn't "warn", it would tilt (which is why i had initially "used" a resetting stepper in the example)...

#184 5 years ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

Tilt warning: "See that Louisville Slugger in the corner over there? Yer gonna see it a lot closer if ya keep shakin' the game like that!"

(sorry. nothing of substance to contribute)

my bestie would have his head beaten in if i used that method here... hell, he wants me to remove the tilt bobs entirely, and i already have them set VERY loose...

#185 5 years ago

I think a resetting stepper is the way to go, like a credit or ball unit. I can probably do the delay with a capacitor and relay so it holds for a few seconds before is decrements the "Danger Unit". If I use a credit unit, I can make the warnings configurable and the timing could be adjusted with a potentiometer.

It might also be fun to have the credit (or some other light) light go on when you are at your final (or only) warning, Maybe have another bulb behind the 'TILT' in the backglass with a blinker in it.

1 week later
    #186 5 years ago

The recent talk about favorite woodrail(s) has made me think of this one again.

Sittin' Pretty has a rollover that lights the blue pop bumper for a hundred thousand and one that lights the red. But when that ball drains it goes (or they go) out again. These rollovers are so hard to get in the first place, it just seems kind of a gyp. I would like to experiment and see what the game would be like if they stayed lit for all five balls and then reset. If you were lucky enough to even 'get' one lit... let alone two.

Now it may be that this would make the game too easy on score, I won't know that until I get to this game to be shopped out. Maybe someone who has this game up... could comment on this thought?

#187 5 years ago

Jet Spin

The ball went between the targets. Finished now !

photo9.jpg

P1020594.JPG

----------------------------------------------------

Wanted : Dead or Alive - In any condition
    Gottlieb SPACE WALK
    You find, you win : REWARD USD 500

http://www.facebook.com/kangourou.flipper?fref=ts

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from kangourou:

Jet Spin

photo9.jpg 45 KB

P1020594.JPG 192 KB

That looks factory. nice job.

#189 5 years ago
    Quoted from kangourou:

Jet Spin

photo9.jpg 45 KB

P1020594.JPG 192 KB

I've only had this happen one time since I've owned the game.

I guess it won't be happening anymore on 'your' game!

Looks like you did a nice job on this mod.

#190 5 years ago
    Quoted from kangourou:

Jet Spin

I just picked up a Jet Spin yesterday and can't wait to get her into fighting shape! Those target backers are sweet - did you make them custom?

#191 5 years ago

did you make them custom?

These metal cards target come from an old roto target (from a Close Encounters - SS version).

Try to contact Steve Young's from PBR :

http://www.pbresource.com/

metal card target.jpg

----------------------------------------------------

Wanted : Dead or Alive - In any condition
    Gottlieb SPACE WALK
    You find, you win : REWARD USD 500

http://www.facebook.com/kangourou.flipper?fref=ts

#192 5 years ago

nice job looks great

#193 5 years ago
    Quoted from kangourou:

These metal cards target come from an old roto target (from a Close Encounters - SS version).
    Try to contact Steve Young's from PBR :
    http://www.pbresource.com/

metal card target.jpg 44 KB

I thought they looked familiar!

#194 5 years ago

That must have been A LOT of rivets.

#195 5 years ago
    Quoted from kangourou:

The ball went between the targets.

Looks great...were I an owner of a rivet apparatus I would try that...

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

this idea is workable too... would keep the wiring to a minimum... the only issue there is that if the previous game ended with it in the "warning position", the next game played wouldn't "warn", it would tilt (which is why i had initially "used" a resetting stepper in the example)...

Still easily done by stepping up the reel to an initial warning at the beginning of each game via a ball count reset coil pulse...... Although, the buzzer would have to run through a N/C Switch added to the reset relay, (to keep it from energizing at the beginning of each game if the added reel needs to step. Not too bad if 1 warning is sufficient.

Another easier way would be with a later model match relay from a Gottlieb Game, (AX Relay?), using the alternating relay make/break switch to perform the warn/tilt function, 1 printed board to step up the relay to a warning position when necessary, and the other printed board for the buzzer.

If you could find a 12 step score reel board, (out of an EM Bally Slot), you could have 2 warnings before a tilt. I imagine it'd be a tough part to find these days.

#197 5 years ago

Wow. It's fun to think about these things, but I don't see it as practical to actually do unless you really hate tilts. It would be really easy to rig a small circuit in a project box that does all this with some alligator clips you could put on the tilt bob, but that kind of goes against the spirit of and EM mod.

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

Wow. It's fun to think about these things, but I don't see it as practical to actually do unless you really hate tilts. It would be really easy to rig a small circuit in a project box that does all this with some alligator clips you could put on the tilt bob, but that kind of goes against the spirit of and EM mod.

yea, but it's a cool thought experiment...

as noted in other posts, if you tilt my machines, you likely deserved to tilt...

#199 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

yea, but it's a cool thought experiment...
    as noted in other posts, if you tilt my machines, you likely deserved to tilt...

That's how I have the tilt set up in all my games too, with the exception of Ten Spot.

Had to give it a little more defense, as it was just a little too easy with five replay levels and the potential to win a lot more games on special too.

My friend, Pinballdork made me a custom score card to help out with this situation. There were five replay levels on the highest score card that Williams made for this machine: 1200, 1400, 1600, 1800 and 1900.

What he did was make me a card that only had three replay levels. This brought down the percentage of games that could be won on score down by forty percent, so this really helped. He also hiked up the first replay level to 1400. (1400, 1700 and 1900) So now with me tightening up the tilt some and the custom score card, the game is right about where I feel it needs to be.

#200 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballprowess:

That's how I have the tilt set up in all my games too, with the exception of Ten Spot.
    Had to give it a little more defense, as it was just a little too easy with five replay levels and the potential to win a lot more games on special too.
    My friend, Pinballdork made me a custom score card to help out with this situation. There were five replay levels on the highest score card that Williams made for this machine: 1200, 1400, 1600, 1800 and 1900.
    What he did was make me a card that only had three replay levels. This brought down the percentage of games that could be won on score down by forty percent, so this really helped. He also hiked up the first replay level to 1400. (1400, 1700 and 1900) So now with me tightening up the tilt some and the custom score card, the game is right about where I feel it needs to be.

yup, imo, you should have to really work to tilt the game... it's one of the privileges of owning your own...
    i like the idea of the custom score levels... i need to remember that...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 110.00
    Boards
    AMCO
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 11.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 15.00
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 159.00
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 25.00
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    There are 334 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside