PERPLEXED-TZ-Volume Down -Service Switch not working

By Jesterfunhouse

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hello Everyone!

YES I am perplexed. I have a TZ with no credit dots. The ONLY issue is the second button on the service switch (Volume down) does not register. The down volume switch is on the Orange Blue-wiring which as far as I can tell is a dedicated wire. The machine has a brand new Rottendog CPU board.

I REPLACED the entire service bank including adding in the ground line but I get the exact same results. All other switches on the service bank worked before and after the replacement. I have continuity between the service switch and the Coin door interface board and between the board and the connector to the new CPU board. I have also jumped this connector and it registers continuity but fails to activate the switch. In SWITCH TEST Mode the button does not register (Volume up registers fine). I am assuming the problem is upstream of the CPU board since there are no other errors. Would the issue be somewhere on the Power Board? I am not the best at reading schematics but I believe that is where it goes next. IS there a dedicated transistor or other component on one of the other boards? Feel free to offer suggestions!

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Would the issue be somewhere on the Power Board?

No.

I'd try at the CPU connector for that switch. Briefly jump the two pins for it and see if it works then. Then at least you know a board issue or back out in the game issue.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No.
I'd try at the CPU connector for that switch. Briefly jump the two pins for it and see if it works then. Then at least you know a board issue or back out in the game issue.

When you say jump the two pins do you mean the pin for the orange-blue and ground? If not what other pin? Also with connector off or on? THANKS!

#4 6 years ago

Any acid damage? My T2 did the same thing until I found a bad resistor

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Any acid damage? My T2 did the same thing until I found a bad resistor

No its a brand new CPU with a remote battery pack.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

When you say jump the two pins do you mean the pin for the orange-blue and ground? If not what other pin? Also with connector off or on?

Yes, connector off. Game turned on, in switch test.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thanks Lloyd! Will test and report back!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Lloyd - Did this and found that the issue was with the board. I traced up to the Diode and found the banded side was not engaging the switch but the unbanded was. With all of the other switches either side of the Diode once grounded would engage the switch. So I swapped out the DIODE (Had some in stock thankfully) and BINGO the switch works fine now! Thanks as always for your advice and support of everyone in Pinball!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.95
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 132.00
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/perplexed-tz-volume-down-service-switch-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.