Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by benheck
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you buy a Night of the Living Dead 68' pinball machine?”

• Yes 11 votes
      41%
    • No 13 votes
      48%
    • Maybe 3 votes
      11%

(27 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

night-of-the-living-dead-1968-11 (resized).png
    p8718_v_v8_aa (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

All pinball companies say licenses costs too much but Night of the Living Dead is public domain due to an error when the movie went to be copyrighted.

American Pinball or Spooky pinball. Seems like a theme one of these two companies should jump on?

Would you be interested in a Night of the Living Dead 68'
    pinball of the George Romeo classic?

#2 4 years ago

I don't think it works that way. You can release your own Night of the Living Dead VHS tape if you want, but that doesn't mean you can make a pinball machine based upon the theme, artwork, and film and not have to pay anybody.

#3 4 years ago

Seems to be the same as American Pinball making an Houdini Pin. No?

"Night of the Living Dead, despite having been released in just 1968, is a public domain film. ... As such, the film was not given copyright protection and was placed into the public domain from day one."

#4 4 years ago

Just call it "Night of the living flesh eaters" and it should be OK.

#5 4 years ago

Meh. Generic zombie horror would probably be a better game than using clips/audio from that particular movie.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Halfwasted:

American Pinball or Spooky pinball. Seems like a theme one of these two companies should jump on?

I'd much rather see a licensed Stern The Return of the Living Dead much better film and way better video assets, music etc. JMO

p8718_v_v8_aa (resized).jpgp8718_v_v8_aa (resized).jpg

#7 4 years ago

I feel this theme would be good for spooky or American Pinball cause of no cost for the license.

#8 4 years ago

I thought copywrite rules used to be something like 50 years after the creator died. Then Disney realized some of their most iconic property were going to become public domain so they’ve lobbied to get that changed. Now I think you just have to keep it active for you to have control.

This could have nothing to do with night of the living dead. But there might be other popular themes that fell off the radar.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Halfwasted:

I feel this theme would be good for spooky or American Pinball cause of no cost for the license.

Yeah but in that case just make a generic Zombie theme, I'm pretty sure the next Spooky is "Killer Clowns from Outer Space" which can't be all that expensive and also is great. First Spooky on my radar.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah but in that case just make a generic Zombie theme, I'm pretty sure the next Spooky is "Killer Clowns from Outer Space" which can't be all that expensive and also is great. First Spooky on my radar.

Killer Klowns? I would be down for that maybe.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I thought copywrite rules used to be something like 50 years after the creator died. Then Disney realized some of their most iconic property were going to become public domain so they’ve lobbied to get that changed. Now I think you just have to keep it active for you to have control.
    This could have nothing to do with night of the living dead. But there might be other popular themes that fell off the radar.

What happened with this film was that they forgot to copyright it, or maybe it was they forgot to add the neccessary copyright information in the credits.

Watched a great documentary about this a few years ago.

So while this movie was in it's initial release, people were making copies of the film and showing it in theaters without having to pay for it.

#12 4 years ago

As long as there is an animation of Harry Cooper getting punched in the face each time you hit a pop bumper, I'm in.

night-of-the-living-dead-1968-11 (resized).pngnight-of-the-living-dead-1968-11 (resized).png
    #13 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlbanyTim:

As long as there is an animation of Harry Cooper getting punched in the face each time you hit a pop bumper, I'm in.[quoted image]

The funny thing about this movie is that Cooper was ACTUALLY RIGHT!

If they had just gone down to the basement, they would have survived the night, as happened in the ending.

I'll state once again just because the film is public domain doesn't mean the Night of the Living Dead property is actually public domain. The internet is filled with stuff claiming to be "officially licensed Night of the Living Dead" product. I'm really not sure, but just throwing it out there. I'm not sure exactly what's going on but there's probably a bunch of people at this point who claim to own the rights, and it could get messy.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm not sure exactly what's going on but there's probably a bunch of people at this point who claim to own the rights, and it could get messy.

This is perfect. Announce you are producing game and build a crappy prototype which is just a retheme of Night Rider. Take $500 down payments from 20 people (it's only 500, the rest is due when we ship your game). Get sued by whoever owns the film. Go out of business keeping the $9500 bucks ((500 * 20) - the 500 to build the proto). Wait 6 months. Sell the "one of a kind" prototype for $20,000 to a collector that isn't going to play it anyway, because it is a piece of pinball history. So I profit $29,500 for a weekend of work. THAT is a business plan!

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The funny thing about this movie is that Cooper was ACTUALLY RIGHT!
    If they had just gone down to the basement, they would have survived the night, as happened in the ending.
    I'll state once again just because the film is public domain doesn't mean the Night of the Living Dead property is actually public domain. The internet is filled with stuff claiming to be "officially licensed Night of the Living Dead" product. I'm really not sure, but just throwing it out there. I'm not sure exactly what's going on but there's probably a bunch of people at this point who claim to own the rights, and it could get messy.

The movie is in the public domain. Video and audio clips and elements from the story are free to use. But you can't use anything else in the franchise. Sorta like Sherlock Holmes. You can absolutely write a new Sherlock Holmes novel. Most of it is public domain, however the last few books are still under copyright so you can't use any details from those books. (American Pinball better not mention anything about Dr Watson's second wife, or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's estate will sue the shit out of them)

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I had heard that this was the reason Disney started make live-action remakes of their animated stuff...

I agree that Night of the Living Dead would be a cool theme for a pin.

#17 4 years ago

For sure you could stitch together a pin from audio and video from the movie.

Do it American Pinball! Noone cares about your bad theme choices.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Halfwasted:

Do it American Pinball! Noone cares about your bad theme choices.

Compliments like that will definitely get them on board. Every time someone insults my business choices, all I want to do is something for them.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Halfwasted:

Seems to be the same as American Pinball making an Houdini Pin. No?
    "Night of the Living Dead, despite having been released in just 1968, is a public domain film. ... As such, the film was not given copyright protection and was placed into the public domain from day one."

John Russo, who owns the derivative rights, may take a bit of an issue with this

#20 4 years ago

Zombies are boring and have been done to death. Giant radioactive Ants, now there's a pinball game.

#21 4 years ago

Somebody somewhere would sue you.

Also the zombie genre is doooooooooone.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/perfect-public-domain-pin-theme-night-of-the-living-dead-68-?hl=rocketfromtombs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.