(Topic ID: 160161)

Perfect Play Silicone Rubber - Thoughts?

By surfajl77

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190527_160234 (resized).jpg
    20190527_160316 (resized).jpg
    20190527_160229 (resized).jpg
    download_(resized).jpg
    pl_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160521_143934_(resized).jpg
    02floor-dayglo-blog480_(resized).jpg
    images_(3)_(resized).jpg
    There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I haven't read many reviews of these yet and I saw them over at PinballLife. As one of the few people who prefers traditional rubber over Super Bands, I was wondering how these compare.

They describe them as the same "feel" as traditional rubber, just more durable.

Any thoughts?

#2 7 years ago
    Quoted from surfajl77:

I haven't read many reviews of these yet and I saw them over at PinballLife. As one of the few people who prefers traditional rubber over Super Bands, I was wondering how these compare.
    They describe them as the same "feel" as traditional rubber, just more durable.
    Any thoughts?

I have them installed on my Tommy machine and Titan silicone everywhere else. I've compared them to Pinball Life and Happ red rubber flipper rings quite a bit and it's very close. PBL traditional red rubber may actually have a little more bounce and play ever so slightly faster than their silicone, but with a waxed playfield it's hard to tell the difference. PerfectPlay seems about equal to Happ red rubber. I'd definitely recommend them if you're thinking of trying them out.

#3 7 years ago

All I've heard is they get just as dirty, last the same amount of time, and cost a lot more. Don't understand it other than getting "bright colors;" not a product for me.

#4 7 years ago

They play almost exactly like the Titan flipper silicone rings. Play great, look good, clean up in two seconds.

#5 7 years ago

Do they clean any faster than normal rubber & Naptha?

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Do they clean any faster than normal rubber & Naptha?

I use novus 1 on these. Never had naphtha until recently. Probably not if it literally takes one to two secs.

#7 7 years ago

I've installed them in mine. Seems ball hop is less with these. I think the Super Bands put more spin on the ball or something.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I use novus 1 on these. Never had naphtha until recently. Probably not if it literally takes one to two secs.

I agree with this. I wrote up a review on them...link below. Short answer, they play more like traditional flipper rubbers IMO to Titan and certainly more than Super Bands. They also clean up easy as Chuck said with a swipe of Novus.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-life-perfectplay%E2%84%A2-silicone-flipper-rubber-free-friday-giveaway?tu=captive_ball#post-2868428

#9 7 years ago

On my MMR, I just didn't Super Bands. I played with them for a few days. When I "trap" a ball and let it roll down the flipper to shoot at a specific ramp or target, the ball just never seemed to glide smoothly. It would very subtly spin down the flipper and almost hop occasionally - making movement kind of unpredictable when you are timing your shots.

Traditional rubber, despite not being as smooth of a surface, doesn't seem to have this problem. At least not with my experience. But other people swear by those damned SBs, so maybe it's just my style of play.

I ordered some traditional rubber from PBL, but I guess when I am feeling experimental, I'll try those new ones.

If they play like traditional rubber and are just more durable, I'm all for that. But if they alter the "feel" of gameplay like SBs do, then I'll just stick with my old reliable rubbers.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from surfajl77:

If they play like traditional rubber and are just more durable, I'm all for that. But if they alter the "feel" of gameplay like SBs do, then I'll just stick with my old reliable rubbers.

The change in gameplay that silicone gives you is that they are a tad more lively than reg rubber. More bounce. Nothing crazy, but you'll notice it.

5/6 people I talk to about SBs is they prefer the look of them overall. And also, when SBs get dirty, they do play better. But I agree with you, I don't like the feel of SBs at all.

I think you'll like these silicone rings.

#11 7 years ago

I have PerfectPlay on my POTC, SuperBands on my Baywatch, Titan on several other machines at my place, and a couple with standard rubber.

In my opinion, these bounce a little more than standard rubber, and withstand more play than standard rubber without cleaning, but I don't feel they (PerfectPlay or Superbands) compare to Titan. I'm probably going to be moving for Titan on all my machines soon.

#12 7 years ago

In playing games on all types of bands....this is the list of least bounce to most bounce IMO. Most noticeable on dead flipper passes.

Super Bands
    Titan Bands
    Perfect Play Bands
    Traditional rubber

In my observation, there wasn't much difference in the Perfect play and traditional bounce. The games used for the sample were AC/DC and CV.

#13 7 years ago

I've noticed much more bounce with Titan than SuperBands. We all need to play much more pinball for research.

#14 7 years ago

I had all super bands switched to perfect play on all my machines last week. will never go back to superbands. Really impressed with the perfect play.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

I've noticed much more bounce with Titan than SuperBands. We all need to play much more pinball for research.

I agree....Super Bands are the least bounce by far. If I had to put a 1 to 10 range on bounce....with 1 lowest and 10 highest I would go with the below.

Super Bands 3
    Titan Bands 7
    Perfect Play Bands 8.5
    Traditional rubber 9

#16 7 years ago

From what I've seen, I'd say the below on a 'bounce' scale:

No Bands - 1
    Traditional Black Rubber - 3.5
    Super Bands - 5
    Traditional Red Rubber - 5.5
    Perfect Play - 6.5
    Titan Bands - 8

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

I agree....Super Bands are the least bounce by far. If I had to put a 1 to 10 range on bounce....with 1 lowest and 10 highest I would go with the below.
    Super Bands 3
    Titan Bands 7
    Perfect Play Bands 8.5
    Traditional rubber 9

Really? Talking flippers I suppose. I know the Super Bands posts rubbers I had, somehow they added velocity to it. On my JP, I'd have ball jump completely over the crossover ramp, back towards my flippers. I replaced those with Cliffy Bumper posts, and I haven't had any ball hops from the posts since.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

From what I've seen, I'd say the below on a 'bounce' scale:
    No Bands - 1
    Traditional Black Rubber - 3.5
    Super Bands - 5
    Traditional Red Rubber - 5.5
    Perfect Play - 6.5
    Titan Bands - 8

I had red traditional rubbers on AC/DC and CV before starting to experiment with the new options. Perfect Play bands without a doubt on my sample had more bounce than the Titans.

Quoted from woody24:

Really? Talking flippers I suppose. I know the Super Bands posts rubbers I had, somehow they added velocity to it. On my JP, I'd have ball jump completely over the crossover ramp, back towards my flippers. I replaced those with Cliffy Bumper posts, and I haven't had any ball hops from the posts since.

I have only changed flipper rubbers with the options thus far, so I can't speak to posts or other o-rings. Super Bands, because of their grip can put some strange spin on the ball, that I would agree.

#19 7 years ago

What I really want to know is if these will break as quickly at Titan's? What I found with Titan's sling and flipper rubber is they will snap way too soon if you're not on top of rotating them regularly. I guess I'll have to order some and put them to test...

#20 7 years ago

I think they bounce pretty close to the same as the Titans but the purple from PBL is fugly compared to the same from Titan.

#21 7 years ago

Yes the perfect play purple is terrible. it's more of a fuschia, love they way they play but I miss the dark purple of the super bands

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Yes the perfect play purple is terrible. it's more of a fuschia, love they way they play but I miss the dark purple of the super bands

I ordered a set for MM and refused to put them on because they are just putrid looking.

#23 7 years ago

A Super Band seller at a show told me "you don't want silicone bands." Neglected to ask them why.

What might they have been referring to, that one just "wouldn't want" silicone?

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

A Super Band seller at a show told me "you don't want silicone bands."

You don't say.....guy is trying to sell his product.

images_(3)_(resized).jpgimages_(3)_(resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago

I think Super wear the best, but I prefer play of Silicon

#26 7 years ago

I'm still a traditional rubber guy as none of these products have the same bounce. And I really don't care for the dayglow colors. But I only use quality traditional rubbers as some are crap.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm still a traditional rubber guy as none of these products have the same bounce. And I really don't care for the dayglow colors. But I only use quality traditional rubbers as some are crap.

Yeah they're pretty much just for color options it seems; Haven't heard any actual benefits.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Haven't heard any actual benefits.

Like being easy to clean or lasting longer? Yeah, I haven't heard that either.

#29 7 years ago

And some of us like more bounce.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Like being easy to clean or lasting longer? Yeah, I haven't heard that either.

Sorry, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I'm actually having an issue finding this out. As I said above Normal rubber cleans very easily, and I keep talking with people that say the silicone doesn't last much longer if at all.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah they're pretty much just for color options it seems

I guess if you're into that sort of thing.

02floor-dayglo-blog480_(resized).jpg02floor-dayglo-blog480_(resized).jpg

#32 7 years ago

I can say that I have tried all of the options. The Super Bands, Perfect Play, and Titan all take much longer to get significantly dirty and clean much easier (a couple wipes of Novus 1) vs. traditional rubber. I haven't however had enough time on each of the options to speak to their lastability vs. traditional.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sorry, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I'm actually having an issue finding this out. As I said above Normal rubber cleans very easily, and I keep talking with people that say the silicone doesn't last much longer if at all.

Well another benefit that they have in common with super bands is that they don't wear like traditional rubber, meaning that they do not fray, they just snap when they done. The big benefit there is that they're not going to leave that rubber residue all over your playfield to cleanup which I much prefer.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

they don't wear like traditional rubber, meaning that they do not fray,

I wonder where you've been getting your traditional rubbers from.

It's a pl scheme I tell ya!

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I wonder where you've been getting your traditional rubbers from.
    It's a pl scheme I tell ya!

Ummm, just the usual places, ya know. Of course it's a scheme...sell good product, make money.

It's a good alternative for peeps who want the benefits of super bands but have them play like regular flipper rubber.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

Of course it's a scheme...sell good product, make money.

I thought it was sell crappy rubbers until everybody is complaining about the mess and then give the option to upgrade to more expensive product that is still not as good as somebody elses traditional rubbers.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

more expensive product that is still not as good as somebody elses traditional rubbers.

Good is subjective.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

Of course it's a scheme...sell good product,

Quoted from maffewl:

Good is subjective.

Agreed.

#39 7 years ago

Reg rubber dry out at some point. Not sure how long that takes, but it will happen.

I haven't replaced a single silicone ring yet and I have had them for the better part of a year on all my games. I have had to rotate one slingshot ring but that's it.

Not sure the normal lifespan of rubber but these seem pretty resilient.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Reg rubber dry out at some point. Not sure how long that takes, but it will happen.

I bought a machine that was shopped out over 15 years ago with quality traditional rubbers and it was stored for some time, but I haven't changed them yet and they are still fine. A lot more than I can say for the cheap rubbers that are already decomposing when they get here before even being installed.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I bought a machine that was shopped out over 15 years ago with quality traditional rubbers and it was stored for some time, but I haven't changed them yet and they are still fine. A lot more than I can say for the cheap rubbers that are already decomposing when they get here before even being installed.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Wasn't really sure what the causes of that dry rot of rubber.

#42 7 years ago

LEDs?

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Wasn't really sure what the causes of that dry rot of rubber.

Wrong formula of rubber is all I can guess. Sure is a good way to up sell to more pricy silicone products though isn't it?

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Wrong formula of rubber is all I can guess. Sure is a good way to up sell to more pricy silicone products though isn't it?

One of them. That and the color choices, less dirty (black rubber is horrible IMO), personal preference. All good brother. I honestly don't like the look of white rubber in most situations.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

less dirty (black rubber is horrible IMO),

I've never seen a black rubber that looks dirty. Only the crumbly stuff the cheap ones leave on the playfield. My rule of thumb is look at the letters on the rubber. If it says PL on it, throw it away and start over.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I've never seen a black rubber that looks dirty. Only the crumbly stuff the cheap ones leave on the playfield. My rule of thumb is look at the letters on the rubber. If it says PL on it, throw it away and start over.

Stern uses dog shit black rubber too and it's not PBL to my knowledge. So far I have had a way better experience with silicone than reg rubber rings. I'm sticking with it. Glad to have options.

#47 7 years ago

I needed to dig a little deeper into this modern rubber situation and I found a very enlightening post in another thread. Lately I have been very happy with Marcos rubbers and wondered why they are so much better than some of the other crap that's come my way.

This is only an excerpt from a very long, informative post from a year ago.

Quoted from phergott:

I've discussed this with Terry at PL. He doesn't want to change things.
    His customer base is home owners, and they like the soft-like-bubble-gum
    white rubber. So after considerable whining to Terry and Mark at Marco
    by Tim Arnold and myself, Marco has come up with a NEW formula for white
    rubber. We've been testing it for Marco, and I have to say, it's a HUGE
    improvement over the stuff everyone else is selling.

So is the new Marco rubber better than ABC rubber of old? Frankly, no. I
    would say the new Marco rubber is a lot like the HAPP and WICO rubber of
    10 years ago. Not amazing, not perfect, but miles ahead of the stuff
    everyone else is selling today. I've found it far more durable on my
    games.

#48 7 years ago

This reminds me of a tell-tale sign of fake golf clubs is to smell the rubber grips. If they smell like a cheap road tire factory, then the clubs are probably fake knock-offs because that is a low-grade rubber that most higher-end makers wouldn't use.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I needed to dig a little deeper into this modern rubber situation and I found a very enlightening post in another thread. Lately I have been very happy with Marcos rubbers and wondered why they are so much better than some of the other crap that's come my way.
    This is only an excerpt from a very long, informative post from a year ago.

I haven't had to buy any in a long time but would always get rubber from PBR and had decent results with it. Do you know what type they are selling these days?

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

I think they bounce pretty close to the same as the Titans but the purple from PBL is fugly compared to the same from Titan.

I noticed the same thing. The purple Perfect Play is brownish purple and does not match well with purple color used in most pinball machines. The Titan purple color matches games like MM very well.

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/perfect-play-silicone-rubber-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.