(Topic ID: 5507)

Perceived Pinball Size

By ryanleblanc

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanleblanc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

Perceived size. What's that got to do with anything? Well, I'm referring to the percieved size of the ball itself. This varies from game to game, but many games have this strange ability to make the ball look either bigger or smaller. An example of a recent game I've played that does this, Monopoly, has a large perceived pinball size. The ball seems big and heavy. This is a very good thing because it makes the machine seem more like a machine and less like a toy. You feel more powerful controlling such a heavy pinball and the game in general just seems more fun, to me at least. It emphasizes the things that make pinball so great, such as the fact that it's real, if you removed the glass you could touch it, it's a large ball bearing you are manipulating in that enclosed little world and that is the essence of a pinball machine. It's difficult to explain why this is important but I feel it adds a lot to a pinball machine. Machines with a small perceived pinball size, feel toy-ish to me and lose a little part of their appeal.

Anyone else ever noticed this? Are there actually differences in pinball size, or is it one universal size, I forget? Y'know aside from the Hercules Pinball machine which uses a cue ball.

#3 12 years ago

Hmm, that might be it. I find twilight zone has a small perceived pinball size, but I figured it was because it's a widebody. I think widebody vs standard body and the size of the gap between the flippers probably combine to create these size illusions.

#7 12 years ago

^ I noticed the large balls on HS2 as well. < That sounded horrible. XD

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanleblanc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/perceived-pinball-size?tu=ryanleblanc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.